*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

747,399 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rey is nobody - 70%
Rey is a Skywalker - 15%
Rey is a Palpatine clone - 10%
Rey is a Kenobi - 5%
Rey is a reincarnation of Anakin / the Force - > 1%
TCTTS
AG
I'm 50/50 Rey is a nobody (who the Force chose to undo the whole Skywalker "mistake") vs. the theory I just posted, which is very much in line with a couple of your choices, but not quite all the way.
boogieman
AG
Wild theory man. Wild.

Part of me can totally see it.
TCTTS
AG
Right? I've never come across a theory like this, where it's simultaneously so insane but also make so much sense.
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

Right? I've never come across a theory like this, where it's simultaneously so insane but also make so much sense.
I made it through your linked part 1 brother and then glossed over and gave up.

I'm in the 90% camp that Rey is a nobody from a nobody family.

I honest to God do not want to go political, but I will just to say this. I do not in the least think that Disney execs sign off on an at least semi-convoluted backstory where she is somehow the prodigy of powerful, male, force users (Anakin, Luke, Palps, Kenobi, etc.). Unless it was to take the stance that balancing the Force required a female on that same lineage to do it. Maybe.

Ultimately, I think Rey is just Rey. I penned my re-analysis of the vision sequence from TFA either in this thread or the Ep IX one (can't remember). I really think that is the case. And I also really think that JJ and RJ were more in tune with each other than many of us think, but that Rian just really made a bad film making it harder to see that.

I have really come around to believe that the TLJ sucked, but not because RJ tossed out literally everything that JJ established in the TFA, but just because the film itself sucked.

And if you look at the vision sequence again, the TLJ speaks to much of it. Not all of it, but most.

Biggest mistake of the TLJ was taking the blue lightsaber, such an immensely important and symbolic part of the TFA, and making it an awkward punchline.

IMO of course.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I opened up the first link that was provided.

I suppose, that if Anakin can be conceived by the Force, then the Force could use the remains of Luke Skywalker's severed hand to form Rey ...

My initial reaction to the dialogue in TPM was one of discomfort, as I felt that the way that Anakin came to be was far too close to the story of Christ. This new theory seems to be quite a stretch. With that, though, I'll steer clear of the other links and just wait until the movie comes out.
Flashdiaz
AG
third link is nothing but describing every time she used her right hand. So it's a lock, either they used Luke's hand to clone someone than tried to mimic their upbringing on a remote planet in hopes she would one day aid their cause... or she's right handed.
jokershady
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

What's everyone's %' on each of the following?

Rey is nobody 50%
Rey is a Skywalker (either Han/Leia's or Luke's daughter/clone) 1%
Rey is a Palpatine clone 4%
Rey is a Kenobi 25%
Rey is a reincarnation of Anakin / the Force 20%
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Quad Dog
AG
On TCTTS' theory:
Wouldn't it have been a lot easier for Palpatine to get genetic material from Vader? Just go drain some of his Bacta tank water he spends a ton of time in.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

What's everyone's %' on each of the following?

Rey is nobody - 0%
Rey is a Skywalker (either Han/Leia's or Luke's daughter/clone) - 0%
Rey is a Palpatine clone - 0%
Rey is a Kenobi - 100%
Rey is a reincarnation of Anakin / the Force - 0%

twilly
AG
Man December can't get here fast enough. We've gone off the charts in Rumorville.
You all have ventured into Plaid level theory with this last one.
The Collective
AG
The wild ass speculation is going to be off the charts after the trailer pops.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wow, lot of love for Rey Kenobi.
jr15aggie
AG
twilly said:

You all have ventured into Plaid level theory with this last one.

Off topic, but I've always hated the way plaid is spelled! I always read it as *played* before correcting myself. Why not spell it: plad? As far as I know plad isn't even a word, but plaid is. WTH English!!!!!
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Claude!
That reminds me too much of Philip Agee.
Flashdiaz
AG
from JJ
"now that I'm back, the difference is I feel like we might've done it. Like, I actually feel like this crazy challenge that could have been a wildly uncomfortable contortion of ideas, and a kind of shoving-in of answers and Band-Aids and bridges and things that would have felt messy. Strangely, we were sort of relentless and almost unbearably disciplined about the story and forcing ourselves to question and answer some fundamental things that at the beginning, I absolutely had no clue how we would begin to address."

Interesting that he realizes that he is forcing himself to question and answer fundamental elements.
amercer
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Well it's the only one that Disney would actually do. I'm 99% that she's a nobody, but I'm 100% that they aren't going with Force immaculate conception.

No one outside of hardcore fans even remembers/knows that the Force was Anakin's daddy.
Ag Since 83
AG
What if they went with Force immaculate conception but then made her parents as the anti-Joseph and Mary, who are all like "WTF this freak isn't our kid" and they get rid of her
The Collective
AG
I think Ego is Rey's dad.
TheEaglePants
AG
I'm a lurker on TA but I've been keeping up with this thread and most of the main Star Wars thread. However, the potential spoiler TCTTS posted got me thinking. It may have been brought up before, but has anyone mentioned how JJ and Rian talked to the audience through the meta-narrative of both TFA and TLJ? Because I think if we take the spoiler to be true, than it continues the same conversation.

In TFA, Kylo looks at Vader's helmet and says "Show me Grandfather, and I will finish what you started". I think this is JJ talking to the audience, asking for permission to pick up the baton and carry the Star Wars franchise (at least for the first sequel film). Kylo's entire need to imitate Vader is mirrored by how JJ stuck the to same beats as ANH. This is a new generation of films, and TFA is trying to tell the audience that these films will be different but follow the legacy of their predecessors.

If the conversation in TFA was to prove to the fan base that JJ (and by extension Disney) wanted to follow the legacy of Star Wars, than the conversation in TLJ was that the legacy belongs to the older fans and the future lies with the younger fans. Look at the last scene in the movie, where the force sensitive child shows his allegiance to the new Rebellion. This isn't just Rian Johnson saying there's hope in the youth of the Star Wars universe. He was saying this new trilogy belongs to the younger generation. The OT and even PT are "legends" to 10 year old fans of today. They don't remember the insane hype leading up to TPM or even the excitement of the Star Destroyer chasing the Tantive IV on 70 mm in the opening of ANH. Those are moments they weren't there to experience, but they heard about them from their parents or even grandparents. Just like how Rey and Finn heard legends of Luke.

Finally, if this theory is true it fits the conversation of legacy and the future of Star Wars. If Rey is indeed a genetic experiment, built from the DNA of Luke, it perfectly describes the ST. These films contain the DNA of the previous films, but are the next generation. This is the Star Wars trilogy for the next generation but it at it's core is still Star Wars.

Personally, I'm not sure if Episode IX will go into Rey being birthed from the genetic material found from Luke's hand after the PT already ticked off the fan base once with its biology lesson on Midi-chlorians. However, the books have made it canon that Palpatine was up to something on Jakku and I bet Rey will be a bi-product of whatever research was going on there.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

However, the books have made it canon that Palpatine was up to something on Jakku and I bet Rey will be a bi-product of whatever research was going on there.
As in bisexual?
TCTTS
AG
Very well said. Interesting points.
AgfromHOU
AG
CJS4715 said:

Finally.. the Disney Marvel/Star Wars crossover we need and deserve
Malachi Constant
AG
Quad Dog said:

On TCTTS' theory:
Wouldn't it have been a lot easier for Palpatine to get genetic material from Vader? Just go drain some of his Bacta tank water he spends a ton of time in.
Maybe Palpatine could still sense the "good" in Anakin and wanted to be able to start fresh?
Beat40
AgfromHOU said:

CJS4715 said:

Finally.. the Disney Marvel/Star Wars crossover we need and *deserve
*Insert Patton Oswalt clip*
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Prime0882
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

This was always my favorite theory I was really hoping was true. I liked the idea that this whole saga would have been the Kenobi bloodline bringing balance to the force over the dysfunctional Skywalker clan.
FTACO97
AG
TCTTS said:

Holy $%*& - that's so crazy that it makes a certain amount of sense --- if true, I really look forward to them trying to explain it in IX, without a "midichlorian" level ridiculousness.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dang
The Collective
AG
Ok. I've read your post twice, and this is all that is in my head as I read it.

With that said, I'm on board.
The Collective
AG
Looks like Disney has finally shut Mark up...
AgfromHOU
AG
That clip is actually so long and makes a lot of sense. Too bad they only show about 30-40 seconds of it.
First Page Last Page
Page 38 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.