*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

767,346 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You guys are certainly getting me fired up again.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

https://deadline.com/2019/12/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-opening-weekend-box-office-cats-bombshell-1202814594/
tk for tu juan
If a cat snorted catnip and proceeded to type out a movie script, that would describe the first half of TROS. It finally settles in after that. I am a little indifferent on the overall movie, one too many convenient ways of things working out, but loved the interweaving Kylo/Rey storylines.

I need to see the movie again
Liquid Wrench
TCTTS said:

That's was how I felt too.
TCTTS
AG
Sucks to hear, but you're not alone. I keep checking Twitter and it's 90% negative reactions, then I come back here and it's skewing mostly positive. Pretty wild. I've got about 20 hours until I see it. Fearing the worst but hoping for the best.
TCTTS
AG

tk for tu juan
If you liked Rey/Daisy in TFA, you will like her even more in TROS. Great timing in casting as she matures as an actor and as a character.
TCTTS
AG
Good to hear. I wish she had a better arc over the first two movies, but I've always really liked her character and thought Ridley was fantastic in the role.
tk for tu juan
The number of trailers got a little ridiculous before the movie. From what I remember we had (Katy Mills Dolby Cinema):

Dolittle
Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar
No Time to Die
Top Gun Maverick
Tenet
Black Widow
Mulan
Free Guy
Onward
Liquid Wrench
Regarding time:

My showtime was 8:05
LucasFilms logo at 8:33
Credits at 10:45
Ag Since 83
AG
Thought I'd chime in on the non-spoiler thread

It's certainly a fun movie, but wow is it all over the place. It starts at a frantic pace, but settles down a bit and the group adventure JJ promised actually works really well for a while.

And then the final act is a nostalgic mess. Some good, some bad.
Saxsoon
AG
30 minutes at regal with the bull**** Coca Cola film student submission and a straight up Chevrolet ad in the middle of trailers
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
COOL LASER FALCON
I feel like people are overstating the first hour. It's a lot and it's blazing fast, but I thought it was more even and easy to follow than the first 30 minutes of Rogue One.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TC you should definitely go see Cats first to level out your emotional rollercoaster
Jim01
AG
This is a good comparison. I feel like the jumping in Rogue One is worse, but the jumping around here lasts a bit longer.
Ag Since 83
AG
I disagree, the jumping is much worse here than in Rogue One
bobinator
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

I disagree, the jumping is much worse here than in Rogue One

Yeah, I also wholeheartedly disagree. The drop in here is way more unsettling because we just blow past some things that (should) have massive ramifications. That wasn't the case in Rogue One.
Jim01
AG
Agree but in RO it was jarring because we didn't know anyone. So they literally put labels on screen to show what planet we were on. Then we met a new character and bam! we're off someone else.

I guess I felt not as jarred in TROS because I at least knew all the characters and what was going on. It was just happening a little too fast.
bobinator
AG
I guess I can see that, but I kind of liked that aspect of Rogue One I guess. Or it at least didn't bother me, for what we already knew was going to basically be a heist movie we had to get our crew together pretty quick.
CoachRTM
AG
Like it was stated above, The Rise of Skywalker is basically a sequel to The Force Awakens, but it realizes it has to deal with what happens in The Last Jedi.

There's a lot going on, especially in the first act, but considering everything that was laying in front of JJ, it was incredibly impressive that he wrapped it up as well as he did.
jr15aggie
AG
Well, I'm ready to go. I never wanted a beautifully constructed Star Wars movie, I just want a kick ass Star Wars movie.

Other than the missing Luke, I thought TFA was nails. So much fun and nostalgia. Sounds like I'm really going to enjoy this one. I too will probably walk out saying JJ should have done all 3.

At this point, reading between the lines, I fully expect to see force ghosts of Anakin and Obi-Wan. I'm just curious if it will be middle age or old make-up Ewan.
canadiaggie
AG
I really have to forgive the first act's choppiness in trying to smooth over the straight up doo doo that was TLJ.

I feel like Abrams could have made a really really good trilogy if he didn't have to salvage TLJ. As it is, TROS has salvaged the sequels into a doable Star Wars trilogy for me.
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

This so much. I am not going to waste any of my time or anyone else's discussing this further......but, no question it is a serious case of "what might have been" had JJ had the reigns the entire time......wow.
jr15aggie
AG
Rocky is my other favorite franchise of all time, and yet, most of what happened in Rocky 5 really didn't happen. It's better that way.

I already feel the same about TLJ... all the stuff between Rey and Kylo is great. Everything else didn't happen.
wangus12
AG
I think you're gonna like it then based on your first sentence
jokershady
AG
6:05 PM can't get here fast enough!

Well....I guess actually 6:25-6:30 pm cause of the damn trailers
agracer
AG
As of now, Rotten Tomatoes has it at critic score of 58% and Audience Score of 86% which is the opposite of TLJ so it sounds like it's a fun Star Wars movie. Some are saying it's right in line with TFA.

I really enjoyed TFA (honestly think the first hour is some of the best Star Wars I've ever seen - unfortunately the recycled super weapon and Rey being a light saber savant undercuts the first hour - imagine if at the end Lukes light saber had flow into Luke's hand instead of Rey and he whips up on Kylo)....anyway...if it's as good as TFA then IMO it will make a nice ending to the saga.
double aught
AG
Just dropped my daughter off at school and went straight to Drafthouse. Previews are starting.
Lance Uppercut
AG
We saw it with a group yesterday. Wife and I are not Star Wars people and thought it was good. Lots of action.

The Star Wars lovers in our group were very meh on it, said they gave it a 5 or 6 out of 10 and were complaining about some plot points that I'm seeing here. I don't get how some parts of puppets fighting aliens in space with magic make so much sense to them, yet other parts bother them so much.

I expected I had been tricked into going to see unwatchable garbage based on reviews, but it was fun. The theater was into it, lots of reactions and occasional applause. They clapped at the end, I haven't seen that very often.
buck russell
Rick Dalton said:

I've avoided this thread for months since I wanted to go in as fresh as possible. Star Wars was a big part of my childhood and I enjoyed the prequels because they allowed me to share that passion with my nephews. I truly hope that my experience is an outlier here, but I'm sad to say that for me the passion is officially dead. I've got eight tickets to see it again on Saturday night in IMAX with my nephews and the rest of the family and if it weren't for the Tenet prologue I'd seriously try to talk them out of it because I didn't enjoy that at all.

I'm glad that a lot of y'all loved it and I hope that everybody who hasn't seen it yet does as well.
You echoed my sentiments almost exactly - well, at least the first three sentences. I actually liked the story quite a bit but something was just off about the movie itself. I really wanted to like it but it wasn't at all epic on its own merit. Maybe I just had too high of expectations going in.

They shouldn't have shown the 3PO "friends" scene in the trailer - that would have been much more moving if it was unexpected.
mazag08
AG
I trust and respect Texags 1000% more than 99% of Twitter.
Jim01
AG
This is why I never watched or read anything after the initial teaser.

I went back and watched them all this morning and couldn't believe they put the C3PO moment in a trailer!
PatAg
AG
Surprised anyone could have high expectations going into this movie.
First Page Last Page
Page 190 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.