*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

819,397 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
BoydCrowder13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Some of these reactions were mainly what I was afraid of.

TLJ took the plot back to square one and fan division was going to cause the studio to attempt to patch problems.

Add that this is the shortest Star Wars movie and what do you get? A very rushed movie and tries too hard at fan service.

We will see. I'm going Thursday night. I am certainly not expecting Avengers Endgame level filmmaking though.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
This isnt the shortest Star Wars movie. Its 141 minutes, or 2 hours and 21 minutes, which is about average for length of a saga movie.
Joe Exotic
AG
Saxsoon said:

InternetFan02 said:

**** Rian Johnson and his enablers. I'm encouraged. TCTTS can you start labeling these critics if they hated or defended TLJ so we can process the reviews in context.

You are missing out on the incredible Knives Out.

Also reprioritize your life if you seriously have to say **** someone for a movie they made

Nah, **** that guy. I pray for failure in his career, even though it won't happen. I do like that people are purposely spoiling the ending to Knives Out on social media in retaliation for TLJ though.
DE4D
AG
I just wanted to take a moment to appreciate your username. Because ... "we dug coal together"
BoydCrowder13
sw@n said:

I just wanted to take a moment to appreciate your username. Because ... "we dug coal together"
Best show I've ever watched.
The Collective
AG
BoydCrowder13 said:

Best show I've ever watched.

DannyDuberstein
AG
So, in a nutshell, it sounds like it's decent but suffers from having to clean up the complete pants-****ting of TLJ.
Malachi Constant
AG
Calling it now - The next debate will be about how good TROS could have been if it hadn't been for TLJ.
Saul Goodman
AG
Based on the initial reactions (and thank you again to TCTTS for always posting them), here is my (optimistic) guess for what's going on:

1. As much as I enjoy both movies, TFA and TLJ don't get a lot done in terms of over-arching plot and exposition, and it sounds like TROS is making up for this. I'm personally OK with a plot and exposition-heavy story this go around...I want answers and to feel like the trilogy makes sense and fits into the 9-movie saga. Yes, it would've been nicer to have the plot and exposition spread out over the three movies more evenly, but I'm glad we're at least getting it.

2. Sounds like the first act is the weakest, and the third act is the strongest. I'd rather it be setup that way, because it would've been a major bummer if the last act in the last trilogy was the weak-link. Sure I would love a perfect movie, but if it's not going to be perfect, I would prefer it end strong.

3. The vibe I'm getting from these reactions is that Lucasfilm and JJ went out of their way to appease the hardcore fans that hated TLJ.

I can't wait for Thursday and the reactions from last night neither hype me up more or dampens my excitement.
MandoArms
The reviews remind me of how people responded to Rogue One and it is one of my favorites. So I am good with a weak first act and a strong third.

I'm still pumped to see this Friday morning!
IG: mando_arms
Saul Goodman
AG
Great point
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
BrownCoat said:

The reviews remind me of how people responded to Rogue One and it is one of my favorites. So I am good with a weak first act and a strong third.

I'm still pumped to see this Friday morning!

the two biggest things affecting a movies overall reception are.

1. build up and anticipation - too high and you are often left disappointed, too low and you might be more appreciative of it being just a little better than expected.

2. strong ending

TLJ really suffered from over anticipation from TFA (which was huge and while it was a retread plot it was highly satisfying opening to the new trilogy) and from a letdown ending (Luke, and they are basically decimated).

After TLJ and mixed reviews on TROS 1 is taken care of for most. And 2 sounds like it is the case within the movie. So that could bode well.

Reviewers I dont think take those into account very often they look at a film unto itself and holistically which means they can't get past flaws. Most viewers have forgotten anything annoying if it ends well.

TCTTS
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
The Collective
AG
TCTTS said:

Was really interested in his viewpoint. That whole thread is a great read and is bringing my excitement up a bit.
Joe Exotic
AG
TCTTS said:

After reading this tweet I'm excited to see this movie for the first time since the ****show that was the TLJ.

Like super pumped and just bought tickets excited.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, that's a great thread.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Literally every other tweet is "Loved it!!! A perfect ending!!!" or "Ugh. Way too much fan service. Way too much EVERYTHING."
John Matrix
AG
TCTTS said:

Literally every other tweet is "Loved it!!! A perfect ending!!!" or "Way too much fan service. Way too much EVERYTHING."

Yeah, I have no clue what to make of this movie based on these tweets. While I'm super excited as always, a part of me is a little regretful Abrams kind of pandered to the man babies who threw a tantrum over Last Jedi. As has been discussed ad naseum, that film had major problems, but there were cool fundamental ideas there that were totally worth paying off. ,
TCTTS
AG
The Collective
AG
These reviews are like being on a rollercoaster.
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

holy **** this is the best one you've posted by far!

Can't wait to see it!
John Matrix
AG
I Have Spoken said:

These reviews are like being on a rollercoaster.

It seems like they were trying to fix all of the problems in one film which is almost impossible.
TCTTS
Saul Goodman
AG
Wow these reactions are interesting. My tune might change after seeing it, but I'm excited about the prospect of this being a bat**** crazy movie.
Duncan Idaho
TCTTS said:

That seems to confirm the space between worlds or what ever it was called.
TCTTS
AG
I don't think he's talking about content, but rather structure. Like it's a bunch of episodes of TV strung together.
Duncan Idaho
I was thinking it had something to do with content Since he called out rebels and not clone wars.

Rebels was a lot more mystical
The Collective
AG
I don't know. Clone Wars had some weird **** too.
First Page Last Page
Page 178 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.