*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

749,235 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They also split Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows into two parts.
BMX Bandit
Why just 2?

Episode IX Part 3 Act 1
amercer
AG
I feel like they were already into production on hobbit 2, when they announced the split.

Of course those were terrible movies, so I'm not sure about going that direction...
TCTTS
AG
I'd say that's probably the one exception, but that was a fluster*****of a production from the get go. When Guillermo del Toro left so late in the game, and Peter Jackson had to step in and take over, Jackson literally never caught up, he was constantly trying to figure out the story, the production schedule, etc, since the cast/crew/releasee date was already locked. There's a behind-the-scenes video bit where Jackson - like a day before filming some massive battle sequence that's going to take weeks - realizes that they have no idea what they're doing, so he decides to shut the whole thing down, re-conceive it, and shoot it again months later. Del Toro leaving the way he did doomed that production from the beginning, and splitting the movies up on the fly like that was more of a byproduct of a new director coming in last minute and having to figure things out as they went.
jokershady
AG
Yeah I watched that. Pretty insane.

I remember actors who were extras were interviewed basically saying they had no idea what was going on in the scene and who they were supposed to be attacking. Kind of a problem in a big war scene.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
*Unpopular opinion: I got the extended versions of The Hobbit and they are much better than the theatrical versions. I know that's committing even MORE time to something that maybe could have been 1 movie, but it fleshes out the side stories more and just makes a lot more sense.
bobinator
AG
I actually don't think turning the Hobbit into three movies was in itself a bad idea, they just weren't good movies.
amercer
AG
It's a short book with some exposition and good action sequences. There are mountains of other Tolkien stories of course, but if you just want to do the hobbit one 2.5-3 hour movie would be perfect.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, it could be one movie, I'm just saying the fact that it was three movies isn't why they sucked.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
jokershady said:

Yeah I watched that. Pretty insane.

I remember actors who were extras were interviewed basically saying they had no idea what was going on in the scene and who they were supposed to be attacking. Kind of a problem in a big war scene.
Sounds like all of the Transformer movies.
The Collective
AG
This came up on my playlist this morning, and I just got a little choked up thinking IX is going to be it for Star Wars with John Williams.

Malachi Constant
AG
When John Williams passes, it will truly be the end of an era of cinematic music. Just going through his catalog over the years is astounding, and he has had as big of an impact on modern cinema as any actor, director, or writer - arguably a larger impact.

I mean look at this list (and these are just the one's that I can hum the tune off the top of my head):
Fiddler on the Roof
Jaws
Star Wars
Close Encounters
E.T.
Indiana Jones
Home Alone
Jurassic Park
Schindler's List
Harry Potter
Catch Me if You Can

Personal favorite:

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Add to the list ...

Empire of the Sun
Saving Private Ryan
The Patriot
War of the Worlds
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
John Williams is on Walt Disney level as far as I'm concerned.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Is it time for a Top 5 reboot of JW music from SW soundtracks?

Maybe just a favorite track from every movie soundtrack.

Shameless plug - if you want to play FFL in a ag-friendly ESPN group, send me a message.
tx1c
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Is it time for a Top 5 reboot of JW music from SW soundtracks?

Maybe just a favorite track from every movie soundtrack.

Shameless plug - if you want to play FFL in a ag-friendly ESPN group, send me a message.
This thread is officially derailed.
bobinator
AG
Trying to re-rail it...

One thing I am excited for is that I have absolutely no idea what the central plot mechanism of this next movie is even going to be, which is pretty unusual for the ninth movie in a series (or the third in a trilogy.)

Like obviously Kylo Ren will be trying to do something and Rey will be trying to stop him from doing it, but that's all we got.
Urban Ag
AG
bobinator said:

Trying to re-rail it...

One thing I am excited for is that I have absolutely no idea what the central plot mechanism of this next movie is even going to be, which is pretty unusual for the ninth movie in a series (or the third in a trilogy.)

Like obviously Kylo Ren will be trying to do something and Rey will be trying to stop him from doing it, but that's all we got.
Well, yeah, sure. They literally have left nothing of interest to conclude. The entire Resistance fits nicely inside the Falcon with room to spare for porgs. They can literally do anything they want with this movie. It's essentially stand alone.

Without any constraints, cliffhangers, or arcs that necessarily must be closed, it's a blank sheet of paper. Just make a good Star Wars movie, pressure is off. Please don't F it up.
TCTTS
AG
I digitize a lot of my Blu-rays to an exterior hard drive and realized over the weekend that I never did so for The Last Jedi. I have every other Star Wars movie digitized, so I decided to complete the set, so to speak. Afterward, I rewatched the ending of TLJ, and there were a few things I picked up on that kind of sort plant seeds for Episode IX. I'm sure all of this is common knowledge, but just for the record...

- When facing off with Kylo, Luke tells him, "The Rebellion is reborn today. The war is just beginning. And I will not be the last Jedi."

- Immediately following that "last Jedi" line, it very deliberately cuts to Rey using the Force to lift the boulders. Not two minutes later, when then see Finn shuffling through the drawer on the Falcon with the Jedi texts that Rey stole.

- Kylo also tells Luke, "I'll destroy her... and you... and all of it." To which Luke Replies, "No. Strike me down in anger, and I will always be with you. Just like your father."

So what can we glean from these bits? Again, most of this obvious, but...

- The real Rebellion has now begun, one based on true passion/desperation rather than the weird dynamic in TFA where the Republic was actually backing the Resistance financially, but wasn't admitting so publicly. That whole dynamic was always very bureaucratic and confusing. But now, I actually think this is a cool way to hit the reset button and make them true underdogs again, not only in numbers, but emotionally as well. We're back to an even more dire OT dynamic now and I think IX will be so much more emotional because of it.

- This all but confirms that Rey is not only The Last Jedi, but will almost assuredly train a new generation via the Jedi texts. Though, now she has the perspective, hindsight, and humility the prior Jedi Order lacked.

- Luke's "strike me down" line to Kylo is interesting. What if Luke's primary role in IX isn't that of Rey's Force ghost mentor, but at times more of a (literal) voice inside Kylo's head? I'm sure Luke will of course mentor Rey in some capacity, but I hadn't considered the "haunting Kylo" angle before.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Quote:

Luke's "strike me down" line to Kylo is interesting. What if Luke's primary role in IX isn't that of Rey's Force ghost mentor, but at times more of a (literal) voice inside Kylo's head? I'm sure Luke will of course mentor Rey in some capacity, but I hadn't considered the "haunting Kylo" angle before.

I always thought this was going to happen. they question to me is whether Luke does the "reverse Snoke" and makes Rey and Kylo talk as well.
AliasMan02
AG
My last viewing I noticed that they slowly transitioned from calling the Resistance to the Rebellion.
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. A very smart move, IMO
bobinator
AG
AliasMan02 said:

My last viewing I noticed that they slowly transitioned from calling the Resistance to the Rebellion.
Part of that is because at the beginning of TFA the First Order is also not the legitimate government so they were also in open rebellion against the republic. They blow up the republic and then establish themselves as the new government, so it would make sense that they would try and paint the other group as a rebellion against their order and oversight.

As for Rey being "The Last Jedi", this is kind of why, despite some other issues I have with the movie, I actually really like the title. It's referring to different people at the beginning and the end of the movie, which is pretty cool.

But yeah, I think we can assume that Rey is going to have some followers when this movie stars. Where Luke failed, she will succeed, etc, etc.

Ulrich
TCTTS said:

- Luke's "strike me down" line to Kylo is interesting. What if Luke's primary role in IX isn't that of Rey's Force ghost mentor, but at times more of a (literal) voice inside Kylo's head? I'm sure Luke will of course mentor Rey in some capacity, but I hadn't considered the "haunting Kylo" angle before.

Luke Skywalker is Smeagol. Or is this more like Being Kylo Malkevich?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The more I think about it, the more excited I am about the clean slate they've gotten after TLJ. It's never really been the case in the saga before.

I'm also glad they put the Leia scene in the Senate into Ep IX. We should actually see the government functioning before it's destroyed, IMO.
bobinator
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The more I think about it, the more excited I am about the clean slate they've gotten after TLJ. It's never really been the case in the saga before.
I do go back and forth on this a little bit. It's exciting (like I said a few posts up) in the sense that we don't have much of an idea of what's going to happen, but it's also a bit concerning that we're not exactly sure what's on the table in what's supposed to be the last movie of a nine-part story.

Quote:

I'm also glad they put the Leia scene in the Senate into Ep IX. We should actually see the government functioning before it's destroyed, IMO.
There's a pretty low bar for what counts as "functioning" for a government in the Star Wars universe. We're going on what, our fourth new government in the last 40 years?
amercer
AG
Just got the blu ray last week. Still like the movie.

Everything after Rey goes to face Kylo is badass.
Geriatric Punk
AG
I've been trying to make it through Last Jedi for a while now. I'm on my 3rd try. I've been a Star Wars fan since I was old enough to say the words. We used to have trilogy parties in high school (still have them on laser disc). This feels more like an homage to Star Wars than an actual part of the series. Still, I will make it to the end eventually. My expectations for the second half have been significantly reduced. So, that's always good.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Satellite of Love
Star Wars Episode IX: Ghost in the Shell
Staring: Hayden Christensen as THE ONLY TURE ANAKIN/DARTH VADER
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
bobinator
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

This feels more like an homage to Star Wars than an actual part of the series.
What? I've been pretty critical of The Last Jedi, but if anything it's the opposite of an homage to the others.
bobinator
AG
Though I still can't believe the things racing around the track weren't pod racers. I still think that would been a legendary tie-in to the prequels.
TXAG 05
AG
Brennus said:

Quote:

Luke's "strike me down" line to Kylo is interesting. What if Luke's primary role in IX isn't that of Rey's Force ghost mentor, but at times more of a (literal) voice inside Kylo's head? I'm sure Luke will of course mentor Rey in some capacity, but I hadn't considered the "haunting Kylo" angle before.

The "strike me down" also calls back to the Obi Wan/Vader fight in Star Wars-"Strike me down and I will become more powerful than you can imagine" and kinda brings Luke full circle
The Collective
AG
bobinator said:

Though I still can't believe the things racing around the track weren't pod racers. I still think that would been a legendary tie-in to the prequels.

It was a missed opportunity, but then you don't get to talk about the First Order / rich people's mistreatment of space horses.
amercer
AG
They were clearly contrasting the enslaved racing animals with the enslaved pod racing kids.
Ag Since 83
AG
Time is circular: Kylo is Palpatine - creates his own grandfather
First Page Last Page
Page 14 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.