***** Yellowstone - Paramount Network w/Costner by Taylor Sheridan *****

59,007 Views | 287 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Phrasing
Spore Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who sang the last song?
Charpie
AG
Mary Gautheir. Song is called Mercy Now
Ag_07
AG
Alright...That was refreshing. That was one of the best episodes yet. The age old checkers and chess analogy fits this show.

All the gimmicky catastrophic crap that constantly happens is the checkers and the good plotlines and actual character building are the chess.

I finally feel like Sheridan was playing chess on the finale. Brought some things full circle, set some things up, threw in some things that fit the storyline while also grabbing your attention but not just random crap.

I liked it a lot and left me wondering where this has been all season. I'm in for S2.
AgGrad99
AG
Really liked the finale
Wes97
AG
Good show. Seems like some unreasonable expectations on here. It is a tv show after all. And much better than 95% of the other crap out there.
Mike Elko
AG
hurleyag said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Just now able to watch last night's episode and the opening scene sounded like a Ryan Bingham song (no vocals played).

Looked it up and sure enough, he wrote music for the show and makes appearances as an actor starting in ep 5
Yep, Bingham, Uncle Lucius, and Whiskey Myers all in the same episode. Can't complain about the music on the show!
Finished episode 4 and have already heard two A Perfect Circle songs. Enjoying the show thus far, and wouldn't be watching without this board. Another successful TexAgs hookup!
Ag_07
AG
One thing I will say...Ryan Bingham is a pretty damn good actor.

I think he's actually one of the better actors on the show.
SchnauzerMom
He might be the only reason I return for season 2!
Hey Nav
AG
Bingham had a small part in Crazy Heart, which I think is an excellent film. Jeff Bridges was great.

Ryan seemed very authentic as a small time band member
Ag_07
AG
I really liked Crazy Heart too.

I think he's nailed this role and I think his character could lend to make a very intriguing secondary storyline.
Hey Nav
AG
Poor Ryan, if they keep him in the series, he will have to kiss Kelly Reilly more. Tough work.
wilhunting
chris1515
AG
I watch this and think "that Bingham guy is terrible", so I'm surprised to see y'all so high on him here. He seems to just have one basic setting of a sad/melancholy man of few words. Eventually I'd like to see "more".

I can see Rip taking a similar role as Opie in SOA. Eventually he steps up and takes on for the team...big time.

In the hanging scene, did they establish that the wealthy developer intentionally tried to kill John Dutton in the 18 wheeer crash in episode 1? I'm too lazy to go back and watch that again. It seemed like a huge development just slipped in completely out of the blue.
Charpie
AG
They sure did
Robert C. Christian
AG
That is what I took that question/answer to be.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Surely they were not stupid enough to hang him on Dutton land....right????

But they also surely were seen taking him from town - there has got to be at least one camera in that town.

But my thinking is I'm wondering if they are going use this supposed law loophole to get out of it. There is this area of Yellowstone where it is possible to get away with murder even if they have irrefutable evidence of you committing the crime there is nothing they can do about it.

I read about this last year.....

Quote:

Yellowstone National Park (YNP) was founded back in 1872, way before Montana, Wyoming and Idaho joined the Union between 1889 and 1890. YNP is almost entirely within Wyoming, but a slither of it reaches into those other two states, and the Idaho is where the danger, or opportunity, lies.

Brian C. Kalt, a law professor at the Michigan State University College of Law, had a good look at this region, and published a paper entitled "The Perfect Crime" back in 2005. In it, he explains that he's always wondered if there was a "forgotten constitutional provision, combined with an obscure statute, that together make it possible for people in the known to commit crimes with impunity."

He points out that the District Court that oversees the legal comings and goings of YNP resides entirely within the state of Wyoming, despite those odd sections in Montana and Idaho. ...... this means that unlike anywhere else in the United States, the District of Wyoming includes land in other states.

Say you decided to murder someone in the Idaho section of the park. If you're caught, you'd be arrested and taken to Wyoming to be tried. The US Constitution, however, demands that any trial should be held in the state where the crime itself was committed, which in this case should be Idaho.

So you demand your Constitutional right to be tried back in Idaho, where they then take you. A local jury would be called up, but herein lies the next problem. Amendment VI states that the "impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed" is required but in this case, the state is Idaho but the district is Wyoming.

That means that the only people available for the jury must live in that Idaho section of YNP in the Wyoming District. This is unfortunate, because absolutely no-one lives there; as it's federal land, no-one's allowed to either.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robinandrews/2017/11/26/icymi-you-can-get-away-with-murder-in-part-of-yellowstone-national-park/#41f122e3faaa

So they might have taken him to that Idaho part and luck out even if they find out they did it. Or they may have planned it that way (the writers) yet it seemed like they were not going to kill him but only scare him until Kayce did what he does.
chris1515
AG
That jurisdictional no mans land is a key part in the CJ Boxx book "Free Fire".

For those of you that like this series and haven't read the Joe Pickett books from CJ Boxx...you should check them out.
SchnauzerMom
I am drawing a blank and need someone to refresh my memory. The girl eavesdropping for Rip, that was eventually brought to the bunk house, where did she come from? TIA!
Centerpole90
AG
Titty bar.
SchnauzerMom
Oh yeah! Thanks!
Gap
AG
It looked like she and Kayce knew each other. I wonder if she is Kayce's wife estranged sister or something.
dave94
AG
She and Kayce's wife are hot as hell.

Oh, was anyone else thinking that Costner was going to collapse during that final long shot walking away from the camera?
Gap
AG

Quote:

Oh, was anyone else thinking that Costner was going to collapse during that final long shot walking away from the camera?
Absolutely, I waited the entire shot until the credits came up waiting and fully expecting him to go down.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah you could tell something was up there as her entire persona changed from when she was playing poker to when he walked in.

She looks Indian so maybe they're connected through the res or his wife's family or something.

And yes she's hot. But all the women in this show are hot. Beth, Kayce's wife, the gov, Jamie's campaign manager, this stripper chick. They filled out the cast with some nice talent.
Mr.Bond
AG
She could use some more pigs fat in her lips though
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

WorthAg95
AG
I agree with you about Bingham. Bad acting.
AgGrad99
AG
He was rough at first but he seems to have gotten better as the shows gone on.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
A better finale than I was expecting with the quality of the past few episodes.

Question: if the Indian chief and the land developer were planning on making property taxes skyrocket to drive Costner bankrupt, wouldn't that also drive all the already-poor Indians in the area (like where Kayce lived) our of their homes as well?

Is that what Kayce realized when he decided to kill the developer?
Mr.Bond
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

A better finale than I was expecting with the quality of the past few episodes.

Question: if the Indian chief and the land developer were planning on making property taxes skyrocket to drive Costner bankrupt, wouldn't that also drive all the already-poor Indians in the area (like where Kayce lived) our of their homes as well?

Is that what Kayce realized when he decided to kill the developer?

I doubt those laws apply to the reservation. I think Kasey has realized his place is on the ranch And he will do anything to protect it for his sons future
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

AgGrad99
AG
I dont know tax rules on reservations.

But the assumption that taxes would 'double overnight' based on property values tripling overnight is pretty silly, especially for a ranch. It's also silly, because they'd also drive out the rest of the population they would need to buy into their development.

It would have been cool if you'd slowly found out what they were up to, during the course of the show...rather than them just spilling the entire plot/plan on the tee box in two seconds. But I'm probably being too picky.
SchnauzerMom
I find him attractive which is what led to my post about him being the only reason I return for season 2. However, despite some of the unbelievable crap that happened in season 1, I enjoy the show as a whole, and will return for season 2, regardless if Bingham is in it.
Ag_07
AG
Am I being too hard on Sheridan if I assume that Dutton has more money than I could ever imagine and this coupled with all kinds of ag and wildlife exemptions that he would have no problem paying his taxes?

I just don't like how we're supposed believe he owns the prestigious ranch and rides around in helicopter but he's somehow scrapping the barrel as some struggling rancher trying to survive.

Again probably me being too hard but that's the glaring loophole I see in the whole plot.
Mr.Bond
AG
It was said his property taxes would go up to 11 million a year. No idea what he's worth but that's an incredible amount of money

Southlake
Ttt
Southlake
Little late to the party. Just finished. Enjoyed the show. Not one of TSes best efforts.

Kinda like the Sopranos or Breaking Bad where you had to remind yourself that the characters you were pulling for are actually cold blooded killers.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.