Halloween 2018 (Blumhouse)

24,314 Views | 191 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Tibbers
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And for what it's worth, the original made $47M, which adjusted for inflation is $186M.

Obviously won't come anywhere near that. But it's something to compare it to.
captkirk
AG
Blumhouse just keeps killing it. Can't wait to see this one
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Username checks out.
John Matrix
AG
Just watched the original in preparation for the new one and, even after seeing it probably 45 times, still think it's an absolute classic. It's so simple, yet effective in getting under your skin. I will say that the Laurie being Michael Myers' sister angle retroactively makes the original less creepy. Because of this, it's good news their getting rid of that angle. When just taken on it's own, Michael stalking Laurie just because he happen to see her at Michael's house adds to the creep factor because of the random nature of it. Still s true classic; I hope the new one at least honors it.
mhayden
Guess I just don't understand the buildup for this... Fool me once (Halloween 4), shame on you... But fool me 6 times (Halloween 5, 6, 8, and Zombie's two remakes)...

I give Halloween 3 a pass because I think the concept of a new non-Michael Myers Halloween movie every year was a good idea, and Halloween H20 was just competently acted enough to get a pass.

Carpenter is one of my favorite directors, but him attaching his name to it doesn't mean much -- he's like Wes Craven in that he'll never turn down a royalty check. David Gordon Green has done some decent films but nothing to really think he'll be able to handle a horror classic.

I predict a paint-by-numbers slasher with a heavy dose of "female empowerment" that leaves you shaking your head.
mhayden
And re-watching a few of the trailers.. I feel like Laurie Strode is speaking of Michael as this unstoppable force, but if everything after Part 1 has been tossed out the window, we really haven't seen the "unstoppable", relentless Michael be fleshed out yet... There was no following to the hospital. There was going after her kin and all of the other stuff that led to a legitimately paranoid Laurie Strode in H20.

I mean, not to discount a crazy guy killing your friends -- but as far as horror movie trauma goes the only relentlessness Michael has shown to this point is following her across the street.

Seems like they want us to ignore all the bad mythology of the character by saying nothing after Part 1 is canon, but we're getting a character that seems like she is playing the role of someone who went through 1-8.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Carpenter is one of my favorite directors, but him attaching his name to it doesn't mean much
He did the soundtrack, too.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
free_mhayden said:

I predict a paint-by-numbers slasher with a heavy dose of "female empowerment" that leaves you shaking your head.
Every reviewer who has already seen the movie seems to disagree with you, but what do they know?

And I'm shaking my head at the thought that you think that Jamie Lee Curtis of all people shouldn't be a strong female character in a Halloween movie. Wow. I'm all for leaving SJW issues out of my movies, but this is just confusing.

Oh, and I actually liked Halloween 4 and H2O.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If you can get past the god-awful mask, H4 is a fairly decent horror flick.
mhayden
GiveEmHellBill said:

free_mhayden said:

Every reviewer who has already seen the movie seems to disagree with you, but what do they know?

And I'm shaking my head at the thought that you think that Jamie Lee Curtis of all people shouldn't be a strong female character in a Halloween movie. Wow. I'm all for leaving SJW issues out of my movies, but this is just confusing.

There's a reason why early reviews for any movie with a halfway decent marketing budget behing it tend to be overwhelmingly positive.

As far the strong female character - she was one in Halloween and was also one in H20 (in Halloween 2 she was mostly useless by design)... So the assumption should be she will be one in this. However if you've listened to any of the interviews she's done regarding this movie, this is very much sounding like a whole other level.

What was the last well-above-average horror movie remake/reboot? Dawn of the Dead 10 years ago? Maybe Evil Dead? That's sprinkled in among about 100 other duds. It's a genre that is offered a decent marketing budget and constantly greenlit because even bad horror movies make money.

We shall see.
mhayden
And Halloween 4 is trash. Well acted trash, but trash.
BurnetAggie99
I would say Halloween 4 if to rank all the films would be #4 andmake the Top 5 list.

1. Original Halloween - 1978
2. Halloween 2 - 1981
3. Halloween H2O
4. Halloween 4
5. Halloween Remake 2007
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is neither a remake nor a reboot. Rob Zombie did that already.

This is a sequel.
mhayden
Same difference. The reason that there are so many iterations are because theyve *****d the licensing out on it so much.

Im as big a Carpenter fan as there is so I certainly respect the genre, but people constantly get roped into the same hype with this stuff.

Is say H20 is the absolute ceiling as far as quality goes, and that would surprise me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
In case anyone is interested, noticed last night that the AMC app has the entire Halloween franchise available to stream.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
FTACO97
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

In case anyone is interested, noticed last night that the AMC app has the entire Halloween franchise available to stream.
Gah! And I just bought the blu ray set....of course

We've made it through #5 so far. Skipped #3 as it's a total mess and no connection to the story. Even within the first 8, they have to retcon story lines in order to make the others. There's no way that Dr Loomis could survive the explosion in #2 but he's back in #4 with very minor burns. Then Laurie is dead by #4 but she comes back in H20. I don't think I'd ever seen #2 before and it was a great continuation of the first movie. Thought #4 was good as well, #5 not so much.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, the whole series in an absolute mess.

2 - Michael and Loomis are both dead.
3 - We don't talk about this one.
4 - Nevermind, they're alive. But Laurie is dead. And she had a daughter.
H20 - Laurie isn't dead, and she has a son, not a daughter. Laurie kills Michael.
8 - Oops, that was another guy wearing his mask. Michael kills Laurie. Also, Busta Rhymes knows kung fu.
1 (RZ) - Reboot

2018 - Nevermind on the other reboot, let's go back to the real series. Except ignore everything.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That said, I think 2 was pretty good, and 4 was decent if not for how awful Michael looks. And not just the mask, but the whole physical performance is terrible. He looks like he's permanently shrugging his shoulders.

5 and 6 are both crap.

H20 is likely my favorite of the sequels. (Guilty pleasure, grew up watching it.)
FTACO97
AG
Just finished our marathon through all the films as well as the 2 Rob Zombie films last night.

While I'll agree that #6 was crap, it does have a fun fact. It was Paul Rudd's acting debut, playing Tommy, the boy that Laurie was babysitting in #1.

Also, fun fact from the 2 Rob Zombie films, the actress playing Annie, Laurie's friend, is the same actress that played Jamie, Laurie's daughter, in #4 & #5.

And Rob Zombie's Halloween II is easily the biggest mess of them all. Boy did that one go off the rails.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I finished 4 last night.

Somehow the mask isn't quite as awful as I remembered, but it's still bad. The movie is still a fairly decent entry in the series, but by no means great.

Watching 5 tonight even though it's trash.

Can't say I remember much from 6 as I've only seen it once, so looking forward to that one.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://variety.com/2018/film/box-office/box-office-halloween-venom-october-1202980594/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I just noticed the hole in the mask where Laurie stabbed him with the sewing needle.
k20dub
AG
Ha that's pretty good.
k20dub
AG
Currently has 85% on Rotten Tomatoes
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Certified fresh.

So anyone watching tomorrow night?
TajMaballer
AG
Seeing it tomorrow st 9:45pm!

To make a box office prediction, I'm going on the high end and saying 75 million this weekend, with good legs through the rest of the month.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think it may even top 75. Seeing a lot of buzz around reddit for this one. It's a perfect storm of a good release date, solid reviews, the return of JLC and John Carpenter, and horror being in a good place in Hollywood as of late.

I'll go high and say $80M opening.
k20dub
AG
Also been advertising like crazy.

I've been listening to Halloween Unmasked - a Ringer 8 part podcast series. Really interesting insight to the history of the franchise.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Cool, I'll check that out.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
87% and inching up to 90.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://deadline.com/2018/10/halloween-could-be-in-store-for-100m-global-opening-treat-1202484743/

$100M+ global opening seems like a no-brainer at this point, the only question is how much higher than that it'll go.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just got out. That was good, but I have to admit I'm slightly disappointed, mainly due to two things - predictability, and lack of good scares.

However, I think maybe the trailers are to blame for that. If felt like every scare and damn near every scene was shown in the trailers, so I don't know if I can blame the movie itself.

It also felt very short to me. Right when it started hitting its stride, it ended.

But that last act, though. Man is it great. I wish it lasted much longer. And of course, the music was great and JLC killed it.

Goes without saying that it's easily the best Halloween since the original, and a solid movie overall. Just didn't quite hit that extra gear I was hoping it would, until right before the end of the movie.

Still highly recommend for all fans of the series.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.