Halloween 2018 (Blumhouse)

24,253 Views | 191 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Tibbers
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jaime Lee is back. Let's do this.

Also, mainly started this thread just to post this.

GiveEmHellBill
AG
My favorite horror movie, with some of the creepiest images ever:

Serious Lee
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Best horror movie of all time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What I still haven't figured out is where this movie is going to take place.

Will it ignore everything post H2?

On the one hand, it'll be nice to have [yet another] fresh start after H6 and Resurrection **** on everything, but on the other, I really like H20 and consider that the "true" sequel to H2.

So it's either ignore H20, or pick up after H20 again, but you have to re-explain how Michael was not behind the mask at the end of it.
wangus12
AG
Looks like she still has it
Stive
AG
The original Halloween is still the one that scares the crap out of me every time. I can't explain it.....it just does.

And if I ever met the man the wrote the soundtrack, I think I'll punch him in the face for freaking me out all these years.
Brandamne
H40
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Stive said:

The original Halloween is still the one that scares the crap out of me every time. I can't explain it.....it just does.

And if I ever met the man the wrote the soundtrack, I think I'll punch him in the face for freaking me out all these years.

That was John Carpenter. He wrote the music for most of his movies.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also coming back to produce and score this one, btw.
The Collective
AG
I'll be watching with a big bowl of Activia.
Clavell
AG
Just quit dropping your DAMN knife this time!!!

Remember seeing this on campus as a Freshman when it came out..

NoahAg
So, it is a sequel tooooo which movie?

I know I'm in the minority, but I really liked Rob Zombie's reboot.
Harry Stamper
It is supposedly going to be a sequel to Halloween 2 (1981). If this is the case, all other installments after Halloween 2 will be ignored.
Stive
AG
If that's the case, then they're just running with it 40 years later since JLC is in it?
Simplebay
AG
Wasn't she back in H20 and got killed?

Methinks...ignore that one.
Presley OBannons Sword
Simplebay said:

Wasn't she back in H20 and got killed?

Methinks...ignore that one.

She wasn't killed in h20, I think it was one of the following sequels. Possibly starring busta rhymes
Presley OBannons Sword
Brian Earl Spilner said:

On the one hand, it'll be nice to have [yet another] fresh start after H6 and Resurrection **** on everything, but on the other, I really like H20 and consider that the "true" sequel to H2.

So it's either ignore H20, or pick up after H20 again, but you have to re-explain how Michael was not behind the mask at the end of it.
H20 is one of my guilty pleasures, along with the Faculty. Love both of those movies. Maybe I just love Josh Hartnett? #nohomo
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Resurrection. The one after H20.

Trouble is, you can't pick up after H20 since she kills Michael at the end, unless you want to explain that again. Guess we'll have to lose the one good sequel after H2.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://io9.gizmodo.com/judy-greer-may-play-jamie-lee-curtis-daughter-in-the-ne-1819085954

Judy Greer joins the cast.
Max Power
AG
No reason to feel guilty about liking The Faculty, that movie is a lot of fun.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Given that this is October, I just watched Halloween last night. But you know, after all the times I've watched this classic, looking at the scene in the third clip there, with Michael gazing at the dead guy (Bob) impaled on the wall, I had the thought, just how long a blade is that knife? There's a good inch plus of blade still visible in front of his gut. This Bob fellow was supposed to be a high school kid, so perhaps he's about 10-12" thick front to back? Then how much blade would be needed to impale into the wall to keep him in place like that?

Ah, too many questions here. Still a great movie. Love how Carpenter shot it, with scenes where you can see Michael standing there, clear as day, and no one in the scene ever notices him. (And the audience might not have noticed him if it was not for the musical cues).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My favorite shot of the movie is Laurie standing with her back to the doorway to a dark room, and Michael's face slowly comes out from the darkness. (And the organ comes in right as you're able to make out the mask.)

Not a jump scare, purely a brilliant shot that builds suspense. It's amazing how much great directing can elevate a "B-movie".
West Point Aggie
AG
...and that music!!

mhayden
Presley OBannons Sword said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

H20 is one of my guilty pleasures, along with the Faculty. Love both of those movies. Maybe I just love Josh Hartnett? #nohomo

It's on Amazon Prime Video... Watching it now for my October marathon... "Introducing Josh Harnett" in the credits.
mhayden
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Ah, too many questions here. Still a great movie. Love how Carpenter shot it, with scenes where you can see Michael standing there, clear as day, and no one in the scene ever notices him. (And the audience might not have noticed him if it was not for the musical cues).

Carpenter was a master at that. This scene in In The Mouth of Madness where they are having coffee as the crazed axe-wielding go slowly creeps in from the background into the foreground.

Simplebay
AG
Hell. Yes.

Glad to see everyone taking the remake seriously... and they should just go ahead and use this...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Did they actually... age up the mask?
Boo Weekley
Uncle Gunnysack said:

Howard Stern is a sack of sh**
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I'll be honest: I'm disappointed in the mask. It's too similar to that disastrous Rob Zombie remake:

Still have hopes that this movie doesn't disappoint, but the mask is a miss for me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I agree. First thing I thought of. It's a bummer, was really excited to see the classic '78 mask back on screen. Oh well.
PatAg
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

That scene where he just slowly sits up in the background..I think we never really appreciated how strong his core was. That's not easy to do without trembling.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This basically looks like a mulligan for H20. A lot of the same story beats. (Hell, they even took the "locked in the bathroom stall" scene.)

I'm also not sure how I feel about throwing away the brother/sister aspect. I know it didn't come until H2, but it's been so ingrained into the mythology that it feels awkward to retcon that almost 40 years later.

So I'm a little disappointed by that.

But, at least it looks very similar in tone to the original 1978 movie.

I'm not quite as excited as I was hoping to be, but I'll still be there opening weekend.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.