The Orville

52,397 Views | 365 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ornithopter
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seth wants us to know he is well read.

I liked the Flatland reference.

And of course everyone likes gumdrops.

The sleeve of a down coat line was disgusting. It amused me.
DevilD77
AG
This turned out to be a highly entertaining show. Very reminiscent of the original Star Trek with more humor added. I hope it continues on next season.
Rudyjax
AG
J Lee and McFarlane are voice actors and it shows. They may get better.

Also, a couple of plot points were based on the stupidity of the characters. Very annoying.

Other than that, love the show.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Great episode. I'm really, really enjoying this show.
Tanya 93
I hate this trend of 12-14 episode seasons.
Rudyjax
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Very annoying.
Counterpoint
AG
Tanya 93 said:

...but no time for filler eps, at least!
Madmarttigan
AG
The machlan game.

This show always seems to get me laughing pretty good at least once every episode so I consider that a win.
Tanya 93
tv1113 said:

The machlan game.

This show always seems to get me laughing pretty good at least once every episode so I consider that a win.
I woke up my son laughing at that game.
DB Coach
AG
My reaction to the Captain winning the game was much like Bortus, but only after they started celebrating. Hilarious!

Overall, I've been enjoying this series, and it's completely unexpected!
Samsill98
AG
There's always a one-liner, joke, or just reaction to the situation from the characters that cracks me up. It's very much like a Star Trek that doesn't take itself too seriously.
Duncan Idaho
I spent the week at my parents' house geriatricifying the house, and I watched the latest episode with my dad in the room.

"Why is the spaceship shaped like a toilet seat?"

After thinking about it, I don't know if this was some grand insight by my father about the show being "star trek with toilet humor" or it was just the ramblings of an old man.
tamusc
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I spent the week at my parents' house geriatricifying the house, and I watched the latest episode with my dad in the room.

"Why is the spaceship shaped like a toilet seat?"

After thinking about it, I don't know if this was some grand insight by my father about the show being "star trek with toilet humor" or it was just the ramblings of an old man.
MGS
A guy gets promoted from helm straight to chief engineer, where have I seen this before? At least we got a good explanation on The Orville.
Rudyjax
AG
MGS said:

A guy gets promoted from helm straight to chief engineer, where have I seen this before? At least we got a good explanation on The Orville.
Wow. I had not thought of that in a long long time.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Unthought Known said:

MGS said:

and uh......both were black. hmmmm.

some borderline racism last week too, no? I mean the black guy is shown as lazy and unfit to command. but i applaud them for not worrying about the connotations.
Rudyjax
AG
BernArnold said:

Unthought Known said:

MGS said:

some borderline racism last week too, no? I mean the black guy is shown as lazy and unfit to command. but i applaud them for not worrying about the connotations.
Thought it was Chief O'Brien?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Unthought Known said:

J Lee and McFarlane are voice actors and it shows. They may get better.

Also, a couple of plot points were based on the stupidity of the characters. Very annoying.

Other than that, love the show.

Thats where this differs a lot from Star Trek - The enterprise at least was the best of the best, some flaws and egos yes but primarily the top of talent pool.

The Orville is mid level guys and f-ups who have been given another chance but are much more highly flawed.

Thats what I like about it, it's more realistic that not everyone is the picture of perfection personified. there is blatant biases too the computer guy Isaac thinks he is superior to everyone for example. And they think a lot of what Bortus does is gross. the captain even called one guy the lizard looking dude and can't remember his name.

they are highly flawed and yes stupid sometimes.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Unthought Known said:

BernArnold said:

Unthought Known said:

MGS said:

Oh well Geordi La Forge was a Helmsman in season 1 of TNG and then suddenly promoted to Lieutenant and made Chief Engineer in season 2+. He was promoted again to Lt. commander in season 3 but still as chief engineer.

Rudyjax
AG
BernArnold said:

Unthought Known said:

BernArnold said:

Unthought Known said:

MGS said:

Oh well Geordi La Forge was a Helmsman in season 1 of TNG and then suddenly Chief Engineer in season 2+.

Oh yeah. Wasn't O'brien a helmsman then chief engineer too?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Unthought Known said:

BernArnold said:

Unthought Known said:

BernArnold said:

Unthought Known said:

MGS said:

Oh well Geordi La Forge was a Helmsman in season 1 of TNG and then suddenly Chief Engineer in season 2+.

O'Brien as far as a I recall was first a bridge flight controller and sometimes security guy.....then he became the Transporter chief after Tasha Yar departed. I didn't think he was chief engineer/operations until DS9 though.

Rudyjax
AG
Ok...it's been 20 years since I've watched a complete episode, so, you know. I forget.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Unthought Known said:

BernArnold said:

Unthought Known said:

BernArnold said:

Unthought Known said:

MGS said:

O'Brien was at a helmsman then transporter chief on the Enterprise D. On Deep Space 9 he was the chief of operations, but had a lot of engineering duties during that time.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Anyone else shocked we made it through the entire first season without a Patrick Stewart appearance?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jabberwalkie09
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Anyone else shocked we made it through the entire first season without a Patrick Stewart appearance?
I'm hoping for more Star Trek alums to make an appearance for sure, he is definitely one of them.

I've been pretty pleased with the guest appearances so far, especially Rob Lowe who was hilarious.
Aggie Joe 93
AG
The Orville has been a fantastic series this first season. They've hit on some deep topics yet avoided the "on a very special episode" feel.

The characters keep making dumb decisions IMO, but they are believable.

I like the moments of realism like "We're going to wait here for 2 weeks? What are we going to do for 2 weeks?" And "It's a Machlin game, it's not for humans", didn't turn into a 'humans can enjoy it too' moment.
biobioprof
jabberwalkie09 said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

I'm hoping for more Star Trek alums to make an appearance for sure, he is definitely one of them.

I've been pretty pleased with the guest appearances so far, especially Rob Lowe who was hilarious.
Should have realized it before, but I noticed that the finale was directed by Brannon Braga, who was involved in a lot of the Star Trek stuff starting with Next Generation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brannon_Braga
jabberwalkie09
AG
biobioprof said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

Should have realized it before, but I noticed that the finale was directed by Brannon Braga, who was involved in a lot of the Star Trek stuff starting with Next Generation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brannon_Braga
There's some pretty good Star Trek pedigree involved in this show. The doctor on this show played Sisko's wife, Braga, Jonathan Frakes (Riker), Robert Duncan McNeil (Tom Parris), Robert Picardo (Voyager's doctor), and Molly Hagan who was on an episode of Deep Space Nine as a Vorta.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Especially because he and McFarland are friends and Stewart has been in almost every other project of his so far.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Liquid Wrench
Counterpoint said:

Tanya 93 said:

...but no time for filler eps, at least!

I think the shorter episode run also lets the show test out without getting cancelled in the middle of a big story arc.

It's kind of frustrating to look back at good shows that were able to produce 20 or so episodes, but it was even more frustrating when those shows would get cancelled before the end of the season to make room for whatever cheap filler the network could throw up.
annie88
AG
Really liking this show.
Wrec86 Ag
Just caught up.

No mention of Ensign Turco yet?
biobioprof
New episodes start tonight!
BenFiasco14
AG
In. Really missed this show
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
BenFiasco14
AG
Enjoyed the first episode, seems like the cast hasn't skipped a beat.

Glad Alara won't be going out with that geeky alien dude. She's smoking hot, deserves much better, like me.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.