The Orville

52,416 Views | 365 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ornithopter
CoachRTM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Loved the negative commentary around social media. Showing how dangerous it can be.
txagman1998
AG
Quote:

Loved the negative commentary around social media. Showing how dangerous it can be.

And what incredible coincidental timing given the Yuri Gurriel incident at the World Series and the Bob McNair comments this week. You could easily count the up and down votes on Twitter. Both of those guys would have needed very expensive and skilled PR agents to avoid the Correction.
Rudyjax
AG
Best new show?
Liquid Wrench
Quite possibly. I'd like to catch up on People of Earth at some point, but The Orville is the only new show this year that's kept my gnat-like attention.
Madmarttigan
AG
I don't know that I could call it great, some pretty bad acting prevents that (I actually dislike the character and/or acting of Mcfarlane the most). However, it has been entertaining and the storylines of each episode have been pretty unexpected and interesting. For something I walked into expecting a mediocre to terrible comedy, some episodes have brought up deep moral dilemmas that have really made me think.
wxguy95
AG
tv1113 said:

I don't know that I could call it great, some pretty bad acting prevents that (I actually dislike the character and/or acting of Mcfarlane the most). However, it has been entertaining and the storylines of each episode have been pretty unexpected and interesting. For something I walked into expecting a mediocre to terrible comedy, some episodes have brought up deep moral dilemmas that have really made me think.
So, it is a lot like the original Star Trek...
Duncan Idaho
This last episode was way too close of a copy of the Black mirror episode. Like it past the line from "inspired by" to "stolen from"
Madmarttigan
AG
Have never watched it so this is all pretty fresh for me even if they are stealing ideas.
Rudyjax
AG
Rudyjax
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

This last episode was way too close of a copy of the Black mirror episode. Like it past the line from "inspired by" to "stolen from"

Duncan Idaho
Unthought Known said:

Duncan Idaho said:

worst.post.ever.
Madmarttigan
AG
I'm also pretty sure ST doesn't have dick jokes, hilarious pranks, and people dry humping a national monument but yet again I haven't watched so I may be mistaken.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

It was very Star Trekky though...I gave it a pass. It reminded me of S1E8: Justice where Wesley Crusher was in a similar situation.
Rudyjax
AG
I can only remember the really good episodes of TNG.

I don't care if they're stealing, redoing, etc.

It's entertaining.
Liquid Wrench
I remember how the primitive alien ladies were dressed in that episode.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
ChiliBeans said:

I remember how the primitive alien ladies were dressed in that episode.
Duncan Idaho
Picked up for a second season
Liquid Wrench
Yep.

Btw, I never noticed they used the Starfleet Academy/water treatment facility for that episode.
gomerschlep
AG
Sorry man I think this show is great and am really glad a major network is not only carrying it but renewed it for a second season.
Hulla Baller
AG
The glory hole scene was pretty hilarious.
VanZandt92
Tanya 93 said:

I am dvring it.
Not sure if it will be appropriate for my smart mouthed 9 year old. So I want to watch it first.

Don't need more phone calls about how he answers questions..

What do you want Benny?
A girl in a short skirt and a long jacket.

What did you do this weekend?
Watched the Aggies beat the hell outta the Mizzou tigers.

Did you throw something at those girls?
We are not the boys you are looking for (in his best Alec Guinness impersonation)
BenFiasco14
AG
Rob Lowe!!
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
BenFiasco14
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Agree the concept was the same. But the storyline was way different
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Street_Cred_Norm
Bortis is favorite character.
jabberwalkie09
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Rob Lowe!!

Really liking the guest appearances.
Tanya 93
jabberwalkie09 said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Rob Lowe!!

Really liking the guest appearances.
They are great so far.

The doctor last night was awesome!
jabberwalkie09
AG
First season is going to be only 12 episodes instead of 13, that last one episode is apparently going to be added onto the second season. Which means the season finale is going to be December 7th.
Madmarttigan
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

First season is going to be only 12 episodes instead of 13, that last one episode is apparently going to be added onto the second season. Which means the season finale is going to be December 7th.

Why is it the shows you enjoy have short seasons and then other shows have 20+ with a bunch of filler. Even though this is kind of goofy and a new story every week, still enjoy it.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
GCRanger said:

The latest episode was really good . Certainly had reference to the black mirror episode with the "likes" system. Some funny bits to. A bit of sci-fi with some humor. I'm digging the show.

Just watched this episode (started this show late) and enjoyed it. It felt like if Reddit had its own planet. Also they totally saved him with #fakenews lol
Tanya 93
The Doctor from Voyager on The Orville.
Rudyjax
AG
I may be talking it of my ass here....

Well then please enunciate.
jabberwalkie09
AG
There was an alligator in the cargo bay. I crushed it with a chair.

Where did it come from?

I do not know, but it is crushed.
Bockaneer
AG
Unthought Known said:

I may be talking it of my ass here....

Well then please enunciate.
watching it with my boys last night and we all lost it - truly a classic line
GCRanger
AG
I like how Alara's parents are both Star Trek alum. Her dad was the doctor on Voyager and her mom was on an episode of DS9. I wonder if we'll see more Star Trek cameos.
biobioprof
Caught up last night.

For some reason we both cracked up when they were discussing watching out for pies, seltzer bottles, and balloon animals.

Seeing some articles now about how the critics completely missed the boat on this show. This was an early one that I find myself nodding to:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2017/09/10/the-critics-must-be-crazy-the-orville-is-a-delightful-homage-to-the-original-star-trek/#2c99f65c71c7
Quote:

As many critics have pointed out, this isn't a spoof of Star Trek. It's not exactly an homage either. The best way I can describe it is that MacFarlane wanted to make a Star Trek show that recalls that franchise's earlier days, back before it became an action blockbuster film series and before the TV shows started becoming dark and grim and edgy. MacFarlane is making his own version of the original Star Trek, and he is a new Captain Kirk. All the optimism and sincerity and lightheartedness of that show is here, and in many ways it's kind of wonderful. I'm honestly surprised something like this exists.

The quotation above, from USA Today's Kelly Lawler, includes a reference to the upcoming Star Trek Discovery show, which she argues makes The Orville "unnecessary." But Discovery looks like yet another action-packed, edgy entry in the Trek catalog. Nothing, in other words, like the original Star Trek or The Orville whatsoever. I also think it's unfair to compare The Orville to Galaxy Quest. That was a film, for one thing, not an hour-long episode TV series. It was also a spoof that poked fun at the fandom and the idea of celebrity and nerd culture. This is something entirely different, though I'm not entirely sure what it is yet either.
Quote:

In any case, I've really enjoyed The Orville. It's not a perfect show. Some of the jokes do fall flat. But I love its spirit. I love that someone is actually trying to make a Star Trek show that isn't just filled with explosions, space battles and gritty action. You should check it out and make up your own mind. Maybe you'll hate it, but maybe not. It's fun and kind of sweet and I'm happy it's a thing, however weird and unexpected it might be.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.