****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,899,502 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

Anyone defending this last episode has to be a casual viewer who doesn't really know what's going on. The writing is so bad. Reddit's ASOIAF and Gameofthrones boards both think it was a disaster. I'm so disappointed.

Why?

No discussion of the night king, how Arya got to him, what they wanted, nothing. They mourn the minor characters for twenty minutes and then....
The show started with them having build pyres for the dead and having already cleaned up the 100s of thousands of zombie corpses. That doesn't get done in one day or one week. Surely they would have already talked about that stuff prior to that? It would have been weird to wait until the episode timeframe started to finally talk about it.

Quote:

PARTY WITH A STARBUCKS CUP IN THE SCENE!!!! HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN?
Petty. Just looking for crap to complain about. Every movie has stuff like that.

Quote:

Then Daenerys really wants her throne still. Asks Aegon to hide his identity. Selfish. Stupid. Petty in the big scheme of things.
Again.. just grasping for BS to complain about. Jon Snow doesn't want the throne, Dani has been striving for it her entire life. Her solution was obviously the right one to make that happen. Not stupid in any way.

Quote:

Jamie being a changed man then all of a sudden deciding to leave makes no sense.
Him hanging out in Winterfell with Brieanne while one of the largest battle in their history that INVOLVES THE ONLY REMAINING MEMBERS OF HIS FAMILY, would make far less sense.
Quote:

Not showing Arya and Sansa's reaction to finding out about Aegon is unforgivable. Sansa was awful to Jon as kids, maybe even an apology would have been nice.
Petty complaint again. Not even bothering with the rest of your post.
Big Al 1992
AG
Also see Friday Night Lights for great series finale wrapping up stories of a bunch of characters we grew to care about.
G Martin 87
AG
I was only disappointed in three things:

(1) Starbucks cup. That's the only thing that's truly "unforgivable." Can not comprehend how that didn't get caught in post. Sloppy.

(2) Dany and her forces constantly being caught with their pants down. I get that she's not Patton, and doesn't have a general like Kevan Lannister or even Randyll Tarly on staff. But by this time, the lack of any kind of caution or improvement in tactics is just mind blowing. Which leads me to...

(3) Cersei didn't give the command to fire. She's got archers and dozens of ballistas trained directly on a tiny force of Unsullied plus her enemy, traitor Varys, and her hated brother. They're in the open and completely defenseless. She could end the entire thing with a single volley. The Cersei of season 6 would have simply smiled and said "Fire."
gambochaman
AG
Quote:

Also what sort of wizardry would propel those missiles at that velocity and range? Just bad writing really.

the same wizardry that gives you dragons, ice zombies, and the ice king the ability to launch a spear over them mountains to kill viserion
bobinator
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

As much as we love Tyrion, does he have any more purpose?
I haven't figured out how exactly they plan to do this without it being absurdly cheesy, but my guess for a while has been that this show is going to end with the melting of the Iron Throne and Westeros becoming some kind of oligarchy with the houses sharing power as some kind of council.

If that were to happen, Tyrion would almost definitely be on it representing the Lannisters.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Also see Friday Night Lights for great series finale wrapping up stories of a bunch of characters we grew to care about.

Friday Night lights started off with Tim Riggins being best friends with Jason Street. It was implied that they were the same age, and then they obviously retconned him being a sophomore so they could keep him in the show longer.

Also remember when Landry killed that guy, and just moved on living life 3 episodes later?
TheCougarHunter
AG
So how did Dany not see the ships? How were they ambushed by them? Those things require line of sight and there's no way a fleet of ships would "ambush" flying dragons.

Also what sort of wizardry would propel those missiles at that velocity and range? Just bad writing really.
aTmAg
AG
C@LAg said:

talk about "petty".
I am. most of the criticisms of yesterday's episode are damn petty.
TheCougarHunter
AG
gambochaman said:

Quote:

the same wizardry that gives you dragons, ice zombies, and the ice king the ability to launch a spear over them mountains to kill viserion

Yes the ice king, a magical being, can hurl an ice spear at a dragon. I have no issue with that. I do have an issue with ship mounted ballistas ambush and hit a moving target with no sort of sighting system at a range of what appears to be at least a mile
Urban Ag
AG
But that is kind of the point of her character. Her patience is run out. She spent the first 15 years or so of her life being moved from one safe house to the next to keep Robert's agents from killing her. She was sold in to an arranged marriage by her psycho brother to a savage. After she eventually falls for her husband, he dies. She wanders the desert with a handful of followers, almost starves, then find Quarth, where she is betrayed. She eventually rises to great power in Essos and then is stalled out "doing the right thing" to end slavery. She finally makes it to Westeros, suffers a couple of strategic losses, and then gets sidetracked in to the Great War.

Dany is done. She's not going to hang out in Winterfell and wait for spring. That is who she is and what five books and seven seasons built up to. It is totally her character to be obsessive compulsive to take the throne.
JJxvi
AG
Maybe dragons only see movement...
redline248
AG
Quote:

I think Tyrion looked brilliant executing the strategy they had discussed prior...he knew full well that Missandei was a goner, but by giving Cersei a chance, he exposed her as the monster she truly is. he pantsed her hard in that scene and i suspect that it will cost her on loyalty big time from a few parties before its all said and done

Exposed Cersei to whom? Cost her whose loyalty? Qyburn, mountain, and Euron are all sadistic a-holes. The regular soldiers aren't going to revolt and the people likely have no clue what's going on. He was desperate and it looked weak. He should have borrowed Grey Worm's dagger and treated Qyburn like Aragorn treated Sauron's mouth.
JJxvi
AG
Off camera, Qyburn also invented a magic fire control system that adjusts the aim of the scorpions so that it stays on target while the boat is rocking
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Urban Ag said:

But that is kind of the point of her character. Her patience is run out. She spent the first 15 years or so of her life being moved from one safe house to the next to keep Robert's agents from killing her. She was sold in to an arranged marriage by her psycho brother to a savage. After she eventually falls for her husband, he dies. She wanders the desert with a handful of followers, almost starves, then find Quarth, where she is betrayed. She eventually rises to great power in Essos and then is stalled out "doing the right thing" to end slavery. She finally makes it to Westeros, suffers a couple of strategic losses, and then gets sidetracked in to the Great War.

Dany is done. She's not going to hang out in Winterfell and wait for spring. That is who she is and what five books and seven seasons built up to. It is totally her character to be obsessive compulsive to take the throne.
Agreed. Think she dies next episode. Jon relinquishes the Iron Throne and goes back the north. Cersei is killed. Just can't decide who I think will claim the throne.
c-jags
easttexasaggie04 said:

Why didn't Jaime and Tyrion send some of the unsullied to kill Bron on his way out? I don't understand why they just let him leave as easily as he snuck in.
because while they both have done questionable things, they both still operate with some honor.
aTmAg
AG
The "why didn't she see the fleet" complaint is also petty. Most people don't have 20/20 vision. I sure as hell don't. Without my glasses I would have never have seen them either.

The better question to ask is how could she ever see anything at all without goggles for this whole time.
bobinator
AG
I don't understand how the missing scene with Jon, Arya, Sansa and Bran isn't a bigger deal to everyone. It definitely isn't 'Petty.'

The strength of this show is in its characters. In fact those characters are so strong that they've managed to mostly overcome some other shortcomings in the show recently.

And this is an absolutely massive moment for four of our original show characters, that are family, and as far as they know it's likely the last time they're all going to be together.

It wasn't necessary for the plot mechanics, and we definitely didn't near to hear Bran spell the whole thing out again, they could have cut away and cut back, but not seeing the discussion among those characters at this news is a huge missed scene to me. And not getting to see it certainly isn't 'petty,' especially considering how many seemingly pointless discussions we have seen.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
chiken said:

Sansa has no business being the head of anything. Sure, she's had some life experiences, but she's still a little spoiled brat that lets her emotions make her decisions. Little lady Mormont - THAT was a woman to sit upon a thrown. I hate that she kicked the biscuit down the road. :/
And Dany doesn't?
JJxvi
AG
aTmAg said:

The "why didn't she see the fleet" complaint is also petty. Most people don't have 20/20 vision. I sure as hell don't. Without my glasses I would have never have seen them either.

The better question to ask is how could she ever see anything at all without goggles for this whole time.
Yeah its really too bad Euron has 20/10. Just bad luck.
gigemJTH12
AG
G Martin 87 said:

(3) Cersei didn't give the command to fire. She's got archers and dozens of ballistas trained directly on a tiny force of Unsullied plus her enemy, traitor Varys, and her hated brother. They're in the open and completely defenseless. She could end the entire thing with a single volley. The Cersei of season 6 would have simply smiled and said "Fire."

I was bothered by this to but think about this. She really doesn't know how the dragon could react to any type of warfare right there. He is protective of Dany. If they fire at them and don't kill the dragon immediately she doesnt know that he won't fly into the air and come straight down on them and burn the city to the ground. She knows Dany won't burn the city down so keeping her alive is presumably the safest thing.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Based purely on the tv show, is there any indication of who the Prince of Dorne could be? We only ever saw Myrcella's fiance as the heir, correct?
bobinator
AG
I'm not sure what you're arguing here, or even if you're arguing with me, that's what I'm saying.
aTmAg
AG
c-jags said:

easttexasaggie04 said:

Why didn't Jaime and Tyrion send some of the unsullied to kill Bron on his way out? I don't understand why they just let him leave as easily as he snuck in.
because while they both have done questionable things, they both still operate with some honor.
Agreements under duress shouldn't be held against anybody. Bronn had a crossbow pointed at their head during that "negotiation". Bronn was acting dishonorably. Jamie and Tyrion had every right to have the unsullied go after him.
StringerBell
AG
agree that dany should have known about the iron fleet.

but we also know that she's not governed by reason right now. she was advised to take a step back twice in the last episode but she knows her time is running short and she's gotta get **** done. so it kind of makes sense as to why the attack was rushed and not at all thought out.
Urban Ag
AG
aggietony2010 said:

Urban Ag said:

Dude, I have read every book at least twice, a couple three times, and seen every episode at least twice.

The book and the series have always been about the Game of Thrones. Always. 90% GOT, 10% The WW/Prophecy/etc. Dany's entire arc has always been to take the Iron Throne. The NK was a quick detour.

If you don't like it, that's fine. I don't think it has been done perfectly either. But the show writers simply can't replicate GRRM's mind. They can't.

Get over it. Last night was pure awesome.

Hell, even GRRM himself apparently can't replicate the mind that wrote the books, otherwise we'd have another 2 books, and quality source material for the show writers to take from

Does anyone really think HBO and their team thought they'd be finishing a story that hasn't seen new source material since season 1?
When this show was greenlighted in 2009 or 2010 and GRRM could state affirmatively that ADWD was soon to be published, I don't think for a second that HBO didn't think the books wouldn't get finished before the series did. At least TWOW.

Regardless, last night was classic GOT. Two deaths out of left field. Betrayal brewing. Two hearts broken. Total chaos. It was great.
Furlock Bones
AG
bobinator said:

I don't understand how the missing scene with Jon, Arya, Sansa and Bran isn't a bigger deal to everyone. It definitely isn't 'Petty.'

The strength of this show is in its characters. In fact those characters are so strong that they've managed to mostly overcome some other shortcomings in the show recently.

And this is an absolutely massive moment for four of our original show characters, that are family, and as far as they know it's likely the last time they're all going to be together.

It wasn't necessary for the plot mechanics, and we definitely didn't near to hear Bran spell the whole thing out again, they could have cut away and cut back, but not seeing the discussion among those characters at this news is a huge missed scene to me. And not getting to see it certainly isn't 'petty,' especially considering how many seemingly pointless discussions we have seen.
buddy and i were talking about this. it is clear that the showrunners decided that they won't show any information that the audience already knows likely because they decided to squeeze the ending of the show.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Anyone defending this last episode has to be a casual viewer who doesn't really know what's going on. The writing is so bad. Reddit's ASOIAF and Gameofthrones boards both think it was a disaster. I'm so disappointed.
I'm not a casual viewer.

Maybe attack the episode and not the people who liked it?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Was watching an old episode this morning and look what I found.

WestAustinAg
AG
G Martin 87 said:

I was only disappointed in three things:

(1) Starbucks cup. That's the only thing that's truly "unforgivable." Can not comprehend how that didn't get caught in post. Sloppy.
Starbucks cups are so ubiquitous that many people don't actually see them when they are in view. An editor was no more struck by the presence of that cup than they were the candles.
bobinator
AG
I also think this is very straightforward. Cersei wants Dany to attack right now, and she's trying to provoke her. If she just kills everyone standing there, she knows her next enemy will be the Starks, and that they're much more pragmatic about how they conduct war.

She doesn't want the army to pull back, regroup, try and bring other houses to their side and then attack down the road. She wants Dany's army to attack right now.

That's how I'm reading that anyway. Of the things to complain about I think that one has a fairly decent explanation.
Truvada_for_prep
Oh noes the dorks on reddit dont like it! So for everyone complicating will you stop watching the rest of season seem like it will upset yall more?
Urban Ag
AG
The last time the scorpion was used it hit Drogon at the base of the neck and barely penetrated. It pissed him off more than anything. I don't think they respected that as a legit defense against dragons after that.

So....they improvised. A dozen scorpions firing heavier bolts at greater velocities, I guess. It was good writing. Did anyone really see that coming? I didn't think there would be major fireworks this episode.
G Martin 87
AG
Urban Ag said:

aggietony2010 said:

Urban Ag said:

Dude, I have read every book at least twice, a couple three times, and seen every episode at least twice.

The book and the series have always been about the Game of Thrones. Always. 90% GOT, 10% The WW/Prophecy/etc. Dany's entire arc has always been to take the Iron Throne. The NK was a quick detour.

If you don't like it, that's fine. I don't think it has been done perfectly either. But the show writers simply can't replicate GRRM's mind. They can't.

Get over it. Last night was pure awesome.

Hell, even GRRM himself apparently can't replicate the mind that wrote the books, otherwise we'd have another 2 books, and quality source material for the show writers to take from

Does anyone really think HBO and their team thought they'd be finishing a story that hasn't seen new source material since season 1?
When this show was greenlighted in 2009 or 2010 and GRRM could state affirmatively that ADWD was soon to be published, I don't think for a second that HBO didn't think the books wouldn't get finished before the series did. At least TWOW.

Regardless, last night was classic GOT. Two deaths out of left field. Betrayal brewing. Two hearts broken. Total chaos. It was great.
When the TV show began, it seemed like all the pressure was on GRRM to finish the book series before the TV show caught up. Now that's flipped. I get the strong impression that Dan and Dave succumbed to pressure from HBO to finish the story before GRRM could.
WestAustinAg
AG
Furlock Bones said:

bobinator said:

buddy and i were talking about this. it is clear that the showrunners decided that they won't show any information that the audience already knows likely because they decided to squeeze the ending of the show.
This is correct. They have spent much time developing characters out this season....lots of dialogue...but it makes no sense to spend the 2 minutes in the final 3 hours of the series to capture "OH MY GOD...WTF" reactions from his sisters when the truth is revealed. Our minds can create the feeling of what it must be like without the scene....and we can do it just as powerfully if not more.
First Page Last Page
Page 258 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.