****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,459 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Urban Ag said:

The last time the scorpion was used it hit Drogon at the base of the neck and barely penetrated. It pissed him off more than anything. I don't think they respected that as a legit defense against dragons after that.

So....they improvised. A dozen scorpions firing heavier bolts at greater velocities, I guess. It was good writing. Did anyone really see that coming? I didn't think there would be major fireworks this episode.

Yeah, for all of the comments last week that the rest of the season just wont be able to feel as dramatic with the NK gone, it felt pretty ****ing dramatic last night. I was on the edge of my seat all throughout the episode.
chiken
AG
I have another question - did Jon stop the kiss/making out with Dany because he can't forget that they're related or for other reasons?
WestAustinAg
AG
Urban Ag said:

The last time the scorpion was used it hit Drogon at the base of the neck and barely penetrated. It pissed him off more than anything. I don't think they respected that as a legit defense against dragons after that.

So....they improvised. A dozen scorpions firing heavier bolts at greater velocities, I guess. It was good writing. Did anyone really see that coming? I didn't think there would be major fireworks this episode.
It was exactly what GOT has done for 8 seasons. Surprised us and taken the long expected arc off course. But now it isn't season 1...it's 3 hours away from the final...so people are pissed.
jtstanley4621
AG
Here's how I feel about this season so far: it is objectively a well-made show. It's shot well. The acting is great.

I just think that they're a little bit up against it in terms of giving us a satisfying ending regardless of who wins. I wish this season were 10 episodes. Looking forward, the drama of the fallout of Jon being a Targaryen is only going to get 2 more episodes to breathe, and presumably this next episode will be a massive battle.

It just feels like they're forced to take more plot jumps forward than they did in previous seasons. It doesn't make it a bad show at all. I just haven't enjoyed it on the same level as I have previous seasons. It is what it is, and it's not like I'm going to stop watching or anything.
aTmAg
AG
bobinator said:

I don't understand how the missing scene with Jon, Arya, Sansa and Bran isn't a bigger deal to everyone. It definitely isn't 'Petty.'

The strength of this show is in its characters. In fact those characters are so strong that they've managed to mostly overcome some other shortcomings in the show recently.

And this is an absolutely massive moment for four of our original show characters, that are family, and as far as they know it's likely the last time they're all going to be together.
They don't know that this will be their last time together. They have no idea that they are living in the 3rd to last episode of a show. Every time Jon went north of the wall, or went anywhere it was likely "their list time together". In fact, they have a much better chance of seeing each other again then the day prior to the episode 3 battle, and nobody was complaining about the lack of Jon, Bran, Sansa, Arya goodbye scenes for episode 2.
Quote:

It wasn't necessary for the plot mechanics, and we definitely didn't near to hear Bran spell the whole thing out again, they could have cut away and cut back, but not seeing the discussion among those characters at this news is a huge missed scene to me. And not getting to see it certainly isn't 'petty,' especially considering how many seemingly pointless discussions we have seen.
I agree we don't want to hear Bran spell the whole thing out again. So imagine what their responses would be... the equivalent of "holy crap" followed by silence, maybe a "are you sure?", etc. That's not worth cutting away and cutting back to again. Especially when there is very little time left in the season and these episodes are long as they are.

DannyDuberstein
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Urban Ag said:

Yeah, for all of the comments last week that the rest of the season just wont be able to feel as dramatic with the NK gone, it felt pretty ****ing dramatic last night. I was on the edge of my seat all throughout the episode.
Yeah, while the presumption is that Cersei loses, she's a resourceful, cunning c*** with no limits on how far she's willing to go or how c***-ish she's willing to be. She was not ever going to be an easy out.

The tension is awesome right now. This whole season has been great from a tension perspective.
G Martin 87
AG
WestAustinAg said:

G Martin 87 said:

I was only disappointed in three things:

(1) Starbucks cup. That's the only thing that's truly "unforgivable." Can not comprehend how that didn't get caught in post. Sloppy.
Starbucks cups are so ubiquitous that many people don't actually see them when they are in view. An editor was no more struck by the presence of that cup than they were the candles.
It doesn't depend on a single person. There are people at every step of production tasked to look for this sort of thing. Missing it is sloppy. There's no excuse for it.
redline248
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

chiken said:

Sansa has no business being the head of anything. Sure, she's had some life experiences, but she's still a little spoiled brat that lets her emotions make her decisions. Little lady Mormont - THAT was a woman to sit upon a thrown. I hate that she kicked the biscuit down the road. :/
And Dany doesn't?

She doesn't. How many times has she wanted to just go roast Cersei bc something went wrong and she refrained? She even did it AGAIN last night. She hated Tyrion's idea to go give Cersei surrender terms, but she did it anyway bc she kept her friggin emotions in check. Her patience only goes so far.
Furlock Bones
AG
how does Dany still have half her Dothraki and half the unsullied?
c-jags
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Anyone defending this last episode has to be a casual viewer who doesn't really know what's going on. The writing is so bad. Reddit's ASOIAF and Gameofthrones boards both think it was a disaster. I'm so disappointed.
I'm not a casual viewer.

Maybe attack the episode and not the people who liked it?
i've read all books and watched from the beginning and have enjoyed all of this season.

is it as good as the first seasons? no.

most of the best lines in the show were lifted straight from the books and GRRM isn't working as a screenwriter.

that being said, i am thoroughly convinced that a large portion of the population won't be happy no matter what happens. in a world where we want to be the first to post something and say the worst thing about the president (whether it's Obama or Trump,) social media gives everybody a voice.

i'm not saying people aren't free to be critical... they are. the internet just gives credence to pissing and moaning and everybody wants their voice heard.

now take this to endgame and it's pretty universally loved. but that's dealing with superheroes, flying, and blasters. here we have dragons and magic, but we're viewing it under the lens of a critically acclaimed adult themed television show, not something we can take our 8 year old to.
aTmAg
AG
G Martin 87 said:

Urban Ag said:

aggietony2010 said:

Urban Ag said:

Dude, I have read every book at least twice, a couple three times, and seen every episode at least twice.

The book and the series have always been about the Game of Thrones. Always. 90% GOT, 10% The WW/Prophecy/etc. Dany's entire arc has always been to take the Iron Throne. The NK was a quick detour.

If you don't like it, that's fine. I don't think it has been done perfectly either. But the show writers simply can't replicate GRRM's mind. They can't.

Get over it. Last night was pure awesome.

Hell, even GRRM himself apparently can't replicate the mind that wrote the books, otherwise we'd have another 2 books, and quality source material for the show writers to take from

Does anyone really think HBO and their team thought they'd be finishing a story that hasn't seen new source material since season 1?
When this show was greenlighted in 2009 or 2010 and GRRM could state affirmatively that ADWD was soon to be published, I don't think for a second that HBO didn't think the books wouldn't get finished before the series did. At least TWOW.

Regardless, last night was classic GOT. Two deaths out of left field. Betrayal brewing. Two hearts broken. Total chaos. It was great.
When the TV show began, it seemed like all the pressure was on GRRM to finish the book series before the TV show caught up. Now that's flipped. I get the strong impression that Dan and Dave succumbed to pressure from HBO to finish the story before GRRM could.
They have to finish he show before Maisie Williams dies of old age.
bobinator
AG

You can still have a surprise that makes sense.

Just as one idea, Dany could have spotted the iron fleet and warned her fleet, but she sees it's too late for her people to react, so she's going to save them with the dragons. We get our dramatic dragon shot, the music cues up for a classic 'Dracarys' moment, and then Rheagal gets blasted by the scorpion just like what happened.

This way, Dany sees the Iron Fleet, but she's not right up close to them so she can't see the weapons mounted on the them.

That's still a surprise, but it makes sense. Her not seeing the Iron Fleet at all makes no sense.
aTmAg
AG
bobinator said:

You can still have a surprise that makes sense.

Just as one idea, Dany could have spotted the iron fleet and warned her fleet, but she sees it's too late for her people to react, so she's going to save them with the dragons. We get our dramatic dragon shot, the music cues up for a classic 'Dracarys' moment, and then Rheagal gets blasted by the scorpion just like what happened.

This way, Dany sees the Iron Fleet, but she's not right up close to them so she can't see the weapons mounted on the them.

That's still a surprise, but it makes sense. Her not seeing the Iron Fleet at all makes no sense.
That's nowhere near as good of a surprise as one of her dragons getting shot out of the sky all of the sudden
DannyDuberstein
AG
Like the dothraki charge, it was done for effect; in this case, total surprise of a dragon getting shot to ***** At least they tried to make them appear somewhat concealed where they were coming out from between some rocks that served as cover. I don't mind it. It's a long ride (people are always biching how unrealistic the travel is); it's at least plausible that the focus may just not have been there which provided a long enough moment/delay for a surprise shot to hit its mark.
JJxvi
AG
In the writing room, "we should make this believeable and intelligent" lost out to "lets make this so that people go "Woah! Holy **** did you see that. THAT JUST HAPPENED!"
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Here's how I feel about this season so far: it is objectively a well-made show. It's shot well. The acting is great.

I just think that they're a little bit up against it in terms of giving us a satisfying ending regardless of who wins. I wish this season were 10 episodes. Looking forward, the drama of the fallout of Jon being a Targaryen is only going to get 2 more episodes to breathe, and presumably this next episode will be a massive battle.

It just feels like they're forced to take more plot jumps forward than they did in previous seasons. It doesn't make it a bad show at all. I just haven't enjoyed it on the same level as I have previous seasons. It is what it is, and it's not like I'm going to stop watching or anything.

Like I said before, it is still hands down better than anything that happened in season 5, outside of Hardhome. The one difference is that Barry is my top show this year, and GOT is in second place.
bobinator
AG
In the very next scene with Arya she says she doesn't plan on coming back from King's Landing... So unless for some reason she expects Sansa and Bran to come to King's Landing, she very much thinks it's the last time she's going to see them.

It's not about the 'holy crap,' although that would be nice. It's the history of these characters playing out in that moment, most especially between Arya and Jon. Is Arya happy for him, he finally knows who his mother is after spending his whole life not knowing. Is Sansa angry that he kept it from them as long as he did knowing that Jon has a better claim than Dany to the Iron Throne? How do those emotions play on on those characters faces, which could give us a clue as to what they plan to do down the road?
BallerStaf2003
AG
Good. You enjoy the show then.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Quote:

Was it not obvious that so many characters survived the BoW so they could wreck shop on your emotions over the final three episodes? I hated that Rhaegal seemingly died so casually but no one saw that coming.
love how these goalposts have shifted.

We were told Ep2 was the way it was because it'd be the last time we'd see so many of these characters on screen together so it was super duper important to draw every character in and give everyone a moment on screen with old pals. Then there were pick em contests of who lives and dies. Once no major characters died after the BoW and there are still so many conveniently alive, we're now justifying it because they want to 'wreck shop on our emotions over the final 3 episodes.'

We weren't told that - we assumed that and so did they. It was natural to assume that they were staring literal death in the face.

It was perhaps unrealistic that more did not die but...... the buildup and their reunions and moments made sense.
chiken
AG
I don't think Arya said she wasn't coming back because she expects to die, it's because she says she's never been a "lady" and that life isn't for her.
ac04
it pisses me off that the writers didn't make this season exactly how i imagined it would be.
redline248
AG
Before yesterday I wasn't expecting a dragon to die. As soon as they showed them flying toward Dragonstone and not landing I thought "something's about to get f-cked."

I didn't think anyone would be surprised Missandei was going to die in that last scene. Even her answering Cersei with Dracarys was telegraphed.

None of that bothers me. It doesn't take 20/20 vision to see a fleet of ships from 800 feet in the air. That was a prime example of writing around reality to deliver a shocking moment. That bothers me.
Urban Ag
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Champ Bailey said:

Urban Ag said:

Yeah, while the presumption is that Cersei loses, she's a resourceful, cunning c*** with no limits on how far she's willing to go or how c***-ish she's willing to be. She was not ever going to be an easy out.

The tension is awesome right now. This whole season has been great from a tension perspective.
Yes. You and Champ have it down IMO. When Dany landed at Dragonstone S7 with her army and dragons it looked like Bama was going to scrimmage Georgetown HS. Then she loses most of her fleet as sea against and enemy that actually specializes in maritime warfare. Then she gets outwitted sending the Unsullied to the Rock while the Lannisters sack Highgarden and get the gold needed to hire the GC. Then she gets pulled in to an entirely different struggle she wasn't even aware was happening, first losing a dragon, then losing most of her army. Then when it seems she is getting back on track, she loses another dragon and Missandei loses her head.

Again, it's not perfect, but they are doing an amazing job of raising the tension across the board while setting Dany back at every turn.

Completely agree with a recent post that stated viewers are getting pissed because it's not turning out the way they want it to. I'm loving the unpredictability of it. Hope there is more.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
gambochaman said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

Anyone defending this last episode has to be a casual viewer who doesn't really know what's going on. The writing is so bad. Reddit's ASOIAF and Gameofthrones boards both think it was a disaster. I'm so disappointed.

Why?

No discussion of the night king, how Arya got to him, what they wanted, nothing. They mourn the minor characters for twenty minutes and then....

PARTY WITH A STARBUCKS CUP IN THE SCENE!!!! HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN?

Then Daenerys really wants her throne still. Asks Aegon to hide his identity. Selfish. Stupid. Petty in the big scheme of things.

Jamie being a changed man then all of a sudden deciding to leave makes no sense.

Not showing Arya and Sansa's reaction to finding out about Aegon is unforgivable. Sansa was awful to Jon as kids, maybe even an apology would have been nice.

The single, dumbest, most infuriating part of the episode? TYRION AGAIN LOOKS STUPID. Once again he fails trying to outwit Cersei. When was the last time Tyrion was smart?

Daenerys will die unless Jon dies for her in Ned Stark fashion. I have a feeling he will when he left ghost behind.
the NK and his whole army are defeated...done and finished...what is there to talk about when there is still a battle to be fought? do you want them to sit down and do a sidebar camera interview like in The Office and explain everything second by second to you? good grief

mistakes like this have happened on basically every show...WGAS

Jamie decided to leave because he realized that he could not be at peace until he destroyed Cersei and atoned for all the sins he committed in her name...thats why he left...because he HAS changed...him staying behind is what would have made no sense

I dont think their reaction is as big of a deal as people make it out to be....it actually is kind of inconsequential in the greater scheme of things

I think Tyrion looked brilliant executing the strategy they had discussed prior...he knew full well that Missandei was a goner, but by giving Cersei a chance, he exposed her as the monster she truly is. he pantsed her hard in that scene and i suspect that it will cost her on loyalty big time from a few parties before its all said and done
Agreed.

And I don't understand - we have people complaining about filler in Ep 1 and 2. Now complaining that we don't have filler talking about how great it was what Arya did and replaying it in detail. And then more filler of having every retelling of Aegon's real story shown so we get every reaction - that doesn't matter for ***** Their actions matter. We know the story we don't need it repeated 5 times. FFS really?????
gambochaman
AG
JJxvi said:

In the writing room, "we should make this believeable and intelligent" lost out to "lets make this so that people go "Woah! Holy **** did you see that. THAT JUST HAPPENED!"
why are these two mutually exclusive? Becuase that dragon scene was 100% both
gigemJTH12
AG
About 40 minutes into the episode i was getting sad bc I thought it was going to be another clunker. The dragon taking that arrow was awesome.

Also, I can't have been the only one cheering for Missandei to die. Not that I dislike her, but if the show spared another person and kept her "hostage" I was going to be furious. Kinda cheered as they lopped off her noggin.

Feel bad for Greyworm. Got a super hot chick to love him despite his lack of parts, and now she's gone.
gambochaman
AG
ac04 said:

it pisses me off that the writers didn't make this season exactly how i imagined it would be.
I love me a good ac04 reply
chase128
AG
You two are just proving the point that there's always going to be a group of pissed off fans with this show no matter what happens.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Right. If Euron was in the open sea, then I totally buy it as bad writing. But they wrote it in a manner to provide his ships cover until the moment to fire. Sure, there would have been a moment for Dany to see them, but they were also black ships coming out amidst black rocks. Not that crazy to buy that they could have gone unnoticed just long enough to launch.

After that long of a ride on a dragon, I know I'd probably be more focused on how bad my balls were hurting from the trip than seeing some black ships amidst black rocks on my periphery.
bobinator
AG
The episode being titled "The Last of the Starks" makes me even more annoyed about that scene not playing out.
Duncan Idaho
To give you an idea of how bad this season has been,

If I had only watched season one, I would have guessed that the show ended with Danny winning the seven kingdoms only to be killed by the night king.

If I had only watched this season, I would have guessed that Ned died in his bed with a belly of wine and kats mouth around his cock.
Sex Panther
AG
chiken said:

I have another question - did Jon stop the kiss/making out with Dany because he can't forget that they're related or for other reasons?

On the inside the episode, Benioff said that yeah, the idea is still very weird to Jon and not ok. Although for Dany it's not a big deal. Tyrion later says something along the lines of, "The north won't be ok with an aunt and nephew marrying regardless of the circumstances"
aTmAg
AG
bobinator said:

In the very next scene with Arya she says she doesn't plan on coming back from King's Landing... So unless for some reasons he expects Sansa and Bran to come to King's Landing, she very much thinks it's the last time she's going to see them.
None of them expect to live until morning in the last episode. Yet there wasn't a goodbye moment with the 4 of them prior. Nobody complained about that. In fact people complained that episode 2 was too damn boring. It's like the writers can't win no matter what they do.

Also, I took Arya's comment as a "I don't expect to survive this battle sort of thing." Not a "I'm going to live as a reclusive nomad who avoids my family" sort of thing. Arya is not a little kid anymore. If anybody (except Bran), she's the least likely to go all emotional before leaving. In fact, I don't think she told anybody.

Quote:

It's not about the 'holy crap,' although that would be nice. It's the history of these characters playing out in that moment, most especially between Arya and Jon. Is Arya happy for him, he finally knows who his mother is after spending his whole life not knowing. Is Sansa angry that he kept it from them as long as he did knowing that Jon has a better claim than Dany to the Iron Throne? How do those emotions play on on those characters faces, which could give us a clue as to what they plan to do down the road?
They had to draw the line somewhere. We've already seen how Jon and Dani react to the news in two separate scenes. Do you expect to be shown how Tyrion and Varys react too? I don't. You can only go to that well so many times before it looses it's impact. I think they played it right based on how much time is left. If they had 10 episodes then I'm right with you, show that for sure.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

About 40 minutes into the episode i was getting sad bc I thought it was going to be another clunker. The dragon taking that arrow was awesome.

Also, I can't have been the only one cheering for Missandei to die. Not that I dislike her, but if the show spared another person and kept her "hostage" I was going to be furious. Kinda cheered as they lopped off her noggin.

Feel bad for Greyworm. Got a super hot chick to love him despite his lack of parts, and now she's gone.

Yeah but.... if she was gonna go out anyway she should have tried to pull Cersei off there and gone out in a fit of rage.... that would have been better.

Didn't mind her dying but I'm not standing there to have my head chopped off I'm gonna take someone out with me if I can - full catfight clawing scratching grabbing etc. Or drop and sweep the leg and try to knock her down. I don't expect her to have karate kid skills there but at least go out swinging.

imho

redline248
AG

Sums it up
First Page Last Page
Page 259 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.