****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,662 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
G Martin 87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
hunter2012 said:

Some neat foreshadow,

Bran gave Arya the same knife that was used by the assassin in season 1. It has come full circle from Bran's attempted murderer to the weapon that saved Bran.
No, no, don't you get it? That's lazy writing! They wanted a Jedi lightsaber battle between Jon and the NK instead!
Furlock Bones
AG
Vernada said:

Nagler said:

Bunch of people trying to prove how hip they are by not liking the episode, we get it, you couldn't done better. Move on. Your constant *****ing is getting old.
You know - it's completely possible to dislike this episode AND still think GoT is a terrific series.

Count me in that camp.

Sorry - I was disappointed in a lot of things about this episode. Like I said before, it doesn't hold a candle to some of the great episodes in this series.
these opinions will not be tolerated sir.
JJxvi
AG
dp
BowSowy
AG
Vernada said:

Nagler said:

Bunch of people trying to prove how hip they are by not liking the episode, we get it, you couldn't done better. Move on. Your constant *****ing is getting old.
You know - it's completely possible to dislike this episode AND still think GoT is a terrific series.

Count me in that camp.

Sorry - I was disappointed in a lot of things about this episode. Like I said before, it doesn't hold a candle to some of the great episodes in this series.
The thing that annoys me are how the contrarians almost combative about it. Look at that cock goblin above you being a dick to others because they liked the episode.
JJxvi
AG
tk for tu juan said:

JJxvi said:

Lets start off with something mostly meaningless... Did anyone else hate the music? I thought it was awful compared to what I remember from most other episodes. I am really not sure why we suddenly changed from string instruments to, like a piano? It seemed like they really just wanted to copy a scene from Westworld and I was trying to make out if it was like a Metallica cover.
Since the composer is the same guy for GoT and Westworld, it is not a surprise that the style is similar. Just like John Williams' style is similar for every movie he has composed. The music for the beginning scene and end were good
Is it really the same composer? I guess maybe he forgot which show he was writing that peice for, then.
bangobango
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

If you don't like it, that's fine, but stop trying to ridicule people because they liked something you didn't.

That should work both ways.
G Martin 87
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

All in all I thought it was a very fun watch but agree that Ariya jumping outa nowhere had no explanation, Branns scene seemed pointless (for now) or was he just being used as bait to get the Night King?, and I had to move around my TV room to figure out the scenes the lighting was so bad
Yes, he was bait. Rewatch the strategy session from the previous episode, where the lazy writers set it all up.
Urban Ag
AG
chipotle said:

Jaimie should probably get the flying ***k outta there. Or is he safe for some post battle beers?
Jamie is on their side now. He stood outside the walls of Winterfell to meet the army of the dead. He fought gallantly side by side with his former enemies. He's good for beers. And he's gonna leave Brienne with something to remind her of him.
aggietony2010
AG
MBAR said:

MuckRaker96 said:

My favorite scenes

You're kind of a dick for this post as it has the potential to spoil things for people that are not GoT.

FYI, I had no idea that his nonsense was significant until your post.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
JJxvi said:

Lets start off with something mostly meaningless... Did anyone else hate the music? I thought it was awful compared to what I remember from most other episodes. I am really not sure why we suddenly changed from string instruments to, like a piano? It seemed like they really just wanted to copy a scene from Westworld and I was trying to make out if it was like a Metallica cover.
He had used piano once before.

wangus12
AG
TX_AG_10 said:

213 Grove said:

How did arya get by the WW?
I originally had the same question. I think they set this part up in the library scene where she showed she wad definitely capable of sneaking around wights.
Yeah but she ran by those WW (why the dude's hair moved maybe) and running on snow is loud as ****
Vernada
AG
BowSowy said:

Vernada said:

Nagler said:

Count me in that camp.

The thing that annoys me are how the contrarians almost combative about it. Look at that cock goblin above you being a dick to others because they liked the episode.
Yes, but this goes both ways. There are plenty of viewers who will tolerate absolutely no criticism of the show and berate anyone who dares to say anything negative.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
G Martin 87 said:

All in all I thought it was a very fun watch but agree that Ariya jumping outa nowhere had no explanation, Branns scene seemed pointless (for now) or was he just being used as bait to get the Night King?, and I had to move around my TV room to figure out the scenes the lighting was so bad
Yes, he was bait. Rewatch the strategy session from the previous episode, where the lazy writers set it all up.

Of course G Martin is going to defend the writing quality.
G Martin 87
AG
Champ Bailey said:

G Martin 87 said:

Of course G Martin is going to defend the writing quality.
They were just following my directions.
Urban Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

JJxvi said:

He had used piano once before.

that episode, S6E10 (I think) had the best music of any episode I can recall in the entire series.
Cerdock
AG
Nobody could kill the nk, and no one did.
Furlock Bones
AG
wangus12 said:

TX_AG_10 said:

213 Grove said:

How did arya get by the WW?
I originally had the same question. I think they set this part up in the library scene where she showed she wad definitely capable of sneaking around wights.
Yeah but she ran by those WW (why the dude's hair moved maybe) and running on snow is loud as ****
yep they heard her blood drop in the library but nothing in the snow.

as some have mentioned, the NK was focused on Bran so all of the wights stopped. I can see them being mindless corpses. But, what about the actual White Walkers? it doesn't make sense for them to be the exact same as the wights.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG

The one single thing I can take from this thread as the truth: DSAG44 is stalking Mel Gibson.

DSAg44In reply to Federale01 12:10a, 4/29/19
yes, if mel gibson ran winterfell, the WWs would have been ****ed from the beginning...

DSAg44In reply to bangobango 12:27a, 4/29/19
again, mel gibson would have had this wrapped up in about 30 minutes. the inglish are about the same as the WWs. fire, fire, fire, and fire. throw in some fakes to the right or left and start the fire. simple.

DSAg44 7:17a AG
William Wallace would have wrapped this battle up in about 30 minutes with fireballs from his arse...

JJxvi
AG
The writing was very jarring in comparison to both the source material and the first several seasons in many ways.

I think what annoys me the most about this particular episode is that we actually got a damn good extended battle episode. Epic in scale, whereas almost all previous ones were really scaled down from the quasi-realistic combat that Martin described (which was understandable considering how hard and expensive it is). And then we get this one and it is just DUMB. Like really dumb. You really have to suspend all kinds of disbelief about what an army in their situation would do (It wasnt quite as bad as that one siege battle scene in Westworld I guess). Then the idea that they won only because the general on the other side decided to ride into combat himself while the battle was still going on (a battle that was giving him more soldiers and material all the time, since it seems that even corpses already killed by dragonglass could just come back to life) makes it really a huge WTF. They couldnt write themselves through that plot hole better than that? They couldnt even give us any like revenge motive, or SOMETHING to explain why the Night King would risk their entire plan just to personally kill one crippled kid?

And then at the end of it all, like a million redshirts died while most of the main characters proved impossible to kill. Very different from what was typical in both the source material and earlier seasons on that.

It's also very, very weird, that like this team of rag tag misfits stopped the apocalypse already. Going to get the Iron Throne (with dragons) seems like it should basically be "Scouring the Shire" postlude level stuff.
TyHolden
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

The one single thing I can take from this thread as the truth: DSAG44 is stalking Mel Gibson.

DSAg44In reply to Federale01 12:10a, 4/29/19
yes, if mel gibson ran winterfell, the WWs would have been ****ed from the beginning...

DSAg44In reply to bangobango 12:27a, 4/29/19
again, mel gibson would have had this wrapped up in about 30 minutes. the inglish are about the same as the WWs. fire, fire, fire, and fire. throw in some fakes to the right or left and start the fire. simple.

DSAg44 7:17a AG
William Wallace would have wrapped this battle up in about 30 minutes with fireballs from his arse...

I AM WILLIAM WALLACE !!!
JW
AG
"It's not bad but the quality drop since source material ran out is clear imo."

Spot on.

Plus why waste 2 episodes trying to build tension with characters that all survived. Our collective perspective that no character is safe was built in GRRMs world. In the producers world, it's mostly typical story telling and the tension has really been gone for awhile.
Vernada
AG
Quote:

And then at the end of it all, like a million redshirts died while most of the main characters proved impossible to kill. Very different from what was typical in both the source material and earlier seasons on that.

Very much this.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

That dragon on dragon fight above the clouds was just breathtaking. And I love that you're barely able to make out Viserion for most of the first half.

breathtaking? I mean look, I gave them credit overall for other episode because to shoot something on that scale is very difficult and sure to have warts. That said, the dragon fighting was atrocious.
TyHolden
AG
Vernada said:

Quote:

Very much this.
hollywood taking over
G Martin 87
AG
Mike Elko
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

It's clear a lot of you guys are having a hard time accepting that things didn't go exactly as you expected them to. Jon didn't have an epic battle with a WW (again). Bran didn't reveal how he was actually an inside man for the army of the dead. Headless Ned Stark didn't awaken. The Night King didn't pull of his mask revealing that it was Petyr Baelish the whole time before Nimeria deus ex machina bit his head off.

Theories are fun to fantasize about but y'all end up ruining things for yourselves when they don't turn out how you planned. Plus, half the time y'alls predictions suck anyways.
SIAP, but this is the best post of this entire thread.
InternetFan02
AG
After night king raised the dead and was clearly obvious they were going to overwhelm the castle I was assuming he would voluntarily call them off at some point. I thought he would magically disappear with Jon and/or Bran and then we'd have a couple episodes figuring out where they went. Didn't expect him to be killed with 3 episodes to go.
M.C. Swag
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

I'm glad the Night king and wights are all dead.

They were only like 10% of this show.

The show was about the characters who are left, and their quest r the throne. It's ending how it should.

Turns on the Night Kong's whole purpose to the plot was to just be a thorn in Dany's side bc without that battle she wins the throne way too easily.

Now it's at least even vs the golden company + Greyjoy.

Man, I can't disagree more. The night king/white walkers/army of the dead represented Winter incarnate. The battle for the light/summer/life was the opposing force. This story was about that conflict. The opening scene to the ENTIRE series was setting up the white walkers.

And the NK...just died. Now we're supposed to believe Cersei is the true villain to this epic tale? That Jon was resurrected to help dany sit on the iron throne? I...I'll post my detailed thoughts later but I can't think of a more disappointing plot arc.
BowSowy
AG
I thought it was very dumb how Grey Worm abandoned the army he was leading to save himself. That was the right spot for his character to die
chipotle
Brian Earl Spilner said:

arya also did her fair share of traveling as well
JJxvi
AG
It also felt like a ton of scenes cut out, or I missed what was happening somehow. How Arya got in the godswood to kill the Nigh King, I'll chalk up to just them wanting a twist, but WTF happened that Arya, and the Hound, and Beric Dondarrion ended up walking through an abandoned castle, like a horror film or the kids in Jurassic Park hiding from velociraptors?

One minute we have Beric pleading with the Hound to help his guys fight like 50 guys, and then the Hound sees Arya fighting on rooftops, so we're like "OK he's gonna fight"

But then it cuts to the girl killng the giant, and then maybe some dragon stuff, and now the next time I pick back up with Arya she's like all alone running through empty libraries and **** ? And then the Hound and Beric somehow got away from all the dudes Beric was fighting too? WTF was happening? Its like there was a scene I missed.
ChipFTAC01
AG
No I was right, Beric and Melisandre we're both in the list.

Bunk Moreland
yep, that was my biggest issue. Felt disjointed and we got to the next scene so often with no context. Felt like they cut so many transition sequences.
Urban Ag
AG
So here's a thought as to why we didn't see the WW's engaging any of the characters.

They didn't have to. And further, it was not their strategy to do so. Bran made it very clear that the NK was there for him. Lure the Dothraki out in to the field and overwhelm them in the darkness. Then throw the wave of endless dead against the infantry and storm the castle. The NK holding back made sense as it hampered Jon and Dany in burning all the dead because every pass over them exposed them to losing a dragon.

The NK clearly did not want to face Jon wielding a Valyrian steel sword. Instead, he raised the dead. The dead were essentially the barrier. Once the NK neared the castle the other WW's (maybe a dozen of so) essentially formed up as his bodyguards. They were never meant to be on the front lines. Further, any WW goes down, so does the dead they reanimated which obviously isn't in their favor.

The dead cleared the path, the WW's were the security, and the NK went for Bran as Bran predicted. I think it also drove home the point (argued heavily on this thread last week) that there is no retreat, no second of third engagement with the NK. WF was all or nothing. Kill the NK at WF or the realm perishes. Period. Made all the more obvious when he raised the dead during the battle.

Now, like or dislike Arya delivering the death blow. I can see both sides of that. My logic and reason brain says that was on Dany or Jon, prophecy, etc. My the chaos side of my brain loved that it was Arya, the deadliest person currently in Westeros.
First Page Last Page
Page 179 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.