****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,899,756 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Trident 88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aTmAg said:

BTW, anybody else notice how long Jamie's hair was? To me that implies he's been traveling a long time and that the WWs should have been in Winterfell a long time ago.
This is exactly why I'm interested to see if Bronn actually makes it all the way to Winterfell before the major battle ends. If he gets there in time to help, I'm going to have to call B.S. unless something happens to cause the white walkers to put their march on pause.
bobinator
AG
Trident 88 said:

aTmAg said:

This is exactly why I'm interested to see if Bronn actually makes it all the way to Winterfell before the major battle ends. If he gets there in time to help, I'm going to have to call B.S. unless something happens to cause the white walkers to put their march on pause.

That's your line in the sand on time discrepancies in this show?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Trident 88 said:

aTmAg said:

BTW, anybody else notice how long Jamie's hair was? To me that implies he's been traveling a long time and that the WWs should have been in Winterfell a long time ago.

I think he clearly is supposed to get there after the battle..... Qyburn even says "IF" they survive the battle at Winterfell. Cersei doesn't feel the need to have them killed unless they don't die in that battle. She expects them to die but is making a backup plan.

I expect them to live though and thus you get the payoff of whatever happens when Bronn does arrive. We have 3 super long episodes after the Battle of Winterfell.

It may simply be the realization for Jamie that he has to kill Cersei - because she sent Bronn to kill him (but he is not going to do that). I actually expect next episode we will see Bronn heading out... but Qyburn will find he left the crossbow behind. Or he takes it with him to show Jamie/Tyrion what Cersei sent with him to do the job.

jabberwalkie09
AG
Trident 88 said:

Bran has reached some sort of 3-eyed raven zen state and is beyond caring about the fact he's physically paralyzed. I'm not even sure he's capable of personal feelings anymore. At least, that's how the actor is playing him.

I think his lack of empathy has been apparent since he and Meera came back to the wall/Castle Black(?) but especially in the parting scene between Meera and him. In fact, I they both remarked on how he isn't really Bran anymore and that he's something different.

To be fair, I'd imagine being able to walk through history and see much of what he's seen would somewhat desensitize him to personal attachment or make what he's feeling difficult to determine.
redline248
AG
Stolen from elsewhere on the net:
Quote:

Game of Thrones is back and Jon Snow finally knows something
JetAg
AG
C@LAg said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Also Euron telling Cersei he's going to put a prince in her belly - will she tell people that Jaimes baby that is on the way is Eurons or Jaime's?
Euron, since Jaime betrayed her?

I think she'll absolutely tell everyone it's Euron's child. This will make Euron more obedient to her and less likely to just sail away to his island. Cersei is playing him and ensuring Euron (and most importantly his navy) will never leave her side.
Joseph Parrish
AG
MW03 said:

Best acting award for SE8 EP1 goes to Samewell Tarley. Big fan of how he played the scene in the library learning his dad was dead compared to his brother being dead.
He said he had 3 hours of camera time before GOT. He's good.
hunter2012
AG
As far as Bronn goes, Tyrion offering to always pay more if someone prompts Bronn seems very much like a Chekov's gun now. It was mentioned during Tyrion's trial but that comment will come into fruition in the current scenario. Can't speak for Jaime though there's still foreshadow that Jaime might be the one to kill Cersei.
aTmAg
AG
Joseph Parrish said:

MW03 said:

Best acting award for SE8 EP1 goes to Samewell Tarley. Big fan of how he played the scene in the library learning his dad was dead compared to his brother being dead.
It's like Jesse in Breaking Bad. He never had any acting experience prior.
Ranger222
AG
No way Bran wants anything to happen to Jamie. In fact, I think Bran will THANK him for what he did...setting him down the road to become the three-eyed raven. He first had his raven visions when he unconscious from the fall or right after. Bran should know him being pushed out the window had to happen to set everything in motion. If not, it would be truly out of character from what he has become.

Jamie returning to Winterfell is another Dany vs the Starks showdown plot device. We saw in the previews Dany was interrogating him hard on the murder of her father....what if Dany wants him executed for the crime and its the Starks who actually come to his defense? I think it just is setting up for another "mad queen" moment for Dany that ultimately pushes for Jon to pick a side, which family is he truly behind.
Ranger222
AG
The first thing I thought of when I saw Ayra's design for the weapon was some type of spear to throw or device to shoot at an ice dragon, much like the weapon the Night King used to kill his.....
Joseph Parrish
AG
Ranger222 said:

The first thing I thought of when I saw Ayra's design for the weapon was some type of spear to throw or device to shoot at an ice dragon, much like the weapon the Night King used to kill his.....
If you've seen the previews that came out, you've likely seen the weapon in use.
Southlake
Wow, the scene with Bronn and the 3 *****s when one girl straddles him and reaches down to insert him was a bit edgy - typical Bronn kinda hubris...well played indeed
Tree Hugger
AG
Quote:

In S1EP1 Cersei commented something along the lines of "We've been riding for a month, surely the dead can wait?" when they arrive at Winterfell and Robert wants to see Lyanna.

I'm sure a single rider can move faster than the king's caravan, but it still probably takes a couple of weeks to get there on horseback.
Joe Cole
I know it's "just a show" and things are happening at different times, but really annoying how the characters travel so far in what seems to be days on the show. Jon and crew have gone from way north of the wall, to KL, to Dragonstone back to wall in same amount of time as Dead Army has made it just south of wall

I still can't forgive them for Dany flying from DS to north of wall during the battle..

Seems one comment being overlooked is Vary's foreshadowing "it' won't last" , which pretty much seals that there will not be some happy ending of Jon and Dany

swc93
AG
Swarely said:

dromo07 said:

Swarely said:

Am I the only one that thought Arya's drawing was of a spring loaded spear? A dragon glass rpg if you will. I'm rewatching now and will try to grab a pic

Thought the same. Like staff that has sharp edges but can be launched.

Found a photo

Def looks like a reloadable tip. But not much detail for a arms maker to work with. Literally the worst drawing to give someone an idea of what you want.
Arya is also working on some repairs to the wall. Here is her drawing from the next episode.

aTmAg
AG
The bigger question is what happens now that Dany knows Cersie has no intention of joining them. Clearly Jamie tells them of Cersie's plans. Dany can't have the Lannister army conquesting the entire south. At the same time, she can't turn her whole army around.
StringerBell
AG
redline248 said:

I get the sense that viewers like Jon so much that anytime another character questions him it turns those characters in a bad light for the viewers. Sansa and little Lady Mormont are getting the same treatment in this thread right now

im firmly on team "sansas the worst"

how about you realize that you've got a million dead things about to kill you and everyone around you and work with jon to get everyone on board instead of focusing on this king of the north nonsense. deal with your frustrations about how he politically maneuvered all this after you fight back the dead.
CapCityAg89
AG
Jon said the Dothraki would take a fortnight to get from Dragonstone to Winterfell. Jaimie on his own about that and maybe a bit shorter. Call it 10-12 days.

I still don't get how folks get caught on timing in this show - D&D have repeatedly said scenes are not close to concurrent. The Bronn scene could've been only a couple days after Jaimie left.

To me, the only real strange one was Gendry running to Eastwatch, the raven flying south and Dany flying north. Of course, even there we don't know if the boys spent one night on the rock or several.
aTmAg
AG
Tree Hugger said:

Quote:

In S1EP1 Cersei commented something along the lines of "We've been riding for a month, surely the dead can wait?" when they arrive at Winterfell and Robert wants to see Lyanna.

I'm sure a single rider can move faster than the king's caravan, but it still probably takes a couple of weeks to get there on horseback.
Maybe it's not that big of a difference. I thought he had more of a buzz cut at the end up S7.

Sex Panther
AG
aTmAg said:

Joseph Parrish said:

MW03 said:

He had plenty of acting experience. That was his first starring role, but I saw him in lots of stuff with small parts.

He's still the "Raddest ****ing dude alive!" guy from Van Wilder to me
Chalupa Batman
AG
Tree Hugger said:

Quote:

Trips with King Robert were known to take a while due to him hunting all the time.
Teddy Perkins
AG
M.C. Swag
AG
Game of Thrones is BACK, folks!

Honestly, after that intro, HBO could show me 60 minutes of characters just talking around a dinner table and I'd walk away completely hyped. It feels too good to have this show back in my life.

Every episode is going to be picked apart by a thousand different viewers so there's really not much I could add to a conversation that's going to be dissected in every possible angle, but I'll try highlighting the big takeaways:

The Good:
  • Jon flys a dragon: Jon aced his first test in 'Targaryen 101'
  • Tormund is a handsome devil (almost literally to Dolorous Edd).
  • Arya and Jon reunion: almost a shot for shot recreation of the last hug they share. Terrific.
  • Euron (aka Josh Jackson from Dawson's Creek) is a magnetic villain. If there's anything this show is great at (and there's many) raising the bar of hateable villains has to be up there. I'm not saying he's higher or lower than Ramsay or Joffrey...but he's right in the mix.
  • Literally anything with Tyrion. I almost cried from laughter and joy at his witty joke about eunuch jokes being to him because he 'has balls and you don't." God bless Peter Dinklage.
  • The most eye-brow rasing quote from Sam to Jon: "You set aside your crown for your people. Would she do the same?" <- That is some foreboding subtext. That quote combined with Vary's about Dany keeping older advisors at a distance because 'nothing lasts' has me worried about this relationship.
  • The GoT intro visuals: I can't wait to see the in-depth analysis by Alt Shift X on this sequence alone. Lots of juicy tidbits.

The Bad:
  • Theon's rescue of Yara with Kraken Team 6 (hilarious term I read on a show re-cap article). Felt way too rushed, but I'm glad they at least got it out of the way.
  • Sam finding out about his father/brother's death and then running to Jon to tell him about his parentage was a weird transition sequence.

The biggest peeve I had with last night's episode was the line by Arya regarding Sansa:

"She's the smartest person I've ever met."

^Like, what? Sansa has been a pawn almost the entirety of the show. Outside of 'tricking' Littlefinger (which was done in tandem with Arya), what exactly has she done that was smart? Using the knights of the vale to rescue Jon wasn't some crafty maneuver. She literally hid that army from Jon and almost got him killed for it. Managing the provisions at Winterfell? Cool, she remembered that armor should have leather in it. Outside of those 2 instances, every choice she made was the wrong one. And I always felt that Arya was the smartest, most resourceful, Stark. Idk, it's like the show is trying to ret-con the Sansa character that was constantly in a position of being manipulated into a position of strength to artificially create a sense of real conflict between her and Dany...and it doesn't feel earned at all.

But like I said before, I will happily watch anything being led with that GoT intro music. This show is too awesome. Also, here's some pics from my premiere party that I hosted with me and about 10 friends. Among other things we dished up some punny food items such as:
  • King Robert's Special (pulled pork)
  • Theon's Greyjoys (pigs in a blanket)
  • Hodoritos
  • Brie of Tarth (brie cheese), A Manchengo Has no Name (Manchengo cheese), Parmesan Snow (Parmesan Cheese)
  • Targaryen Tacos

aTmAg
AG
Sex Panther said:

aTmAg said:

Joseph Parrish said:

MW03 said:

He had plenty of acting experience. That was his first starring role, but I saw him in lots of stuff with small parts.

He's still the "Raddest ****ing dude alive!" guy from Van Wilder to me
By bad. I wasn't sure where I heard that.
redline248
AG
StringerBell said:

redline248 said:

I get the sense that viewers like Jon so much that anytime another character questions him it turns those characters in a bad light for the viewers. Sansa and little Lady Mormont are getting the same treatment in this thread right now

im firmly on team "sansas the worst"

how about you realize that you've got a million dead things about to kill you and everyone around you and work with jon to get everyone on board instead of focusing on this king of the north nonsense. deal with your frustrations about how he politically maneuvered all this after you fight back the dead.
I think it's ok to believe they are both right. Sansa knows he's right about needing to all work together to defeat the White Walkers, but she is also right about how the North feels about him bending the knee. One house already told them "thanks, but no thanks." There was also quite a bit of disgruntled murmuring when he gave his speech about bending the knee to protect the North.

I think what the show fails to do in regards to Sansa is show her as being a little more compassionate. Maybe she's not, though. Hard to say for sure.
Joe Cole
Quote:

D&D have repeatedly said scenes are not close to concurrent

that is what I meant by "just a show". I know they have said that and we are supposed to suspend belief, but still some of the things do not line up such as Jon and crew's trip to KL and back and in this entire time, the army of dead has covered about 1/10th of the distance

I guess as a book reader, you really gain an appreciation for how big this world is and how far apart the places are
Trident 88
AG
bobinator said:

Trident 88 said:

aTmAg said:

That's your line in the sand on time discrepancies in this show?
Fair point, but no. It's not my "line in the sand." I've also noticed past time discrepancies that made me smdh.

In this case, I'm wondering why Bronn remained back in KL instead of hitting the road with Jaime. I didn't rewatch past episodes, so I don't remember. Was there a reason?

If not, then hunter2012's point about Chekov's gun makes sense. And if that doesn't happen, then I'll have to assume that Benioff and Weiss realized too late last season that Bronn should have gone north so that the viewers could enjoy his banter with Tyrion, Jaime, the Hound, etc.
Yoda
AG
I'm not seeing anybody after this episode questioning whether Cersei is really pregnant. They continue to be very vague as to how much time has passed, but she certainly did not seem to have a belly at all. One would think Euron would have noticed if his prized queen already had a round stomach where he claims he plans to put a baby.

Did she lie to Jamie and Tyrion? Did she lose the baby, sending her further down the mad queen path who just wants to watch the world burn? Are we to believe she is just a woman who doesn't show until month 5?
Teddy Perkins
AG
Totally didn't realize the Greyjoy that got shot through the eye was Rob Mcelhenney.
redline248
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
Quote:

Euron (aka Josh Jackson from Dawson's Creek) is a magnetic villain.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MW03
AG
Sansa is a brat to everyone. Gets to Kings Landing, gets humbled in a terrible way by Joffery. Reforms.

Escapes Kings Landing, is a brat to everyone except Littlefinger (including Brianne). Gets to Winterfell, gets humbled in a terrible way by Ramsey. Reforms.

Takes back Winterfell, is a brat to everyone. Sniffs out Littlefinger this time before being humbled, but still reforms.

In one scene, she's apologizing to Jon for being terrible, the next she's all jealous he's the King. Then she trusts him and takes over Winterfell so he can go get allies. He comes back with a massive army and dragons, and she's a brat again.

It's exhausting.
StringerBell
AG
maybe sansa's attitude is reflective of the broader opinion of the north which might demonstrate that they're not taking the night king seriously enough.

its just hard to believe that people are *****ing about titles when death is beating down their door.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
She will change her tune when the dead reach Winterfell.
First Page Last Page
Page 83 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.