****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,495 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Phrasing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also, are there any other good companion podcasts out there that people listen to? I know the Ringer has one. Any others?
AgFormerlyInIrving
AG
Luke Smith said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
gigemJTH12
AG
There's a thread going right now on the E board. GOT podcast thread
goadius6
AG
Bald Move podcast on GoT and pretty much every other great tv show is solid
n_touch
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Maybe I missed it, but why is Danny's throat red here?
redline248
AG
It's a scarf or undershirt
AgFormerlyInIrving
AG
n_touch said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Maybe I missed it, but why is Danny's throat red here?
That's how George Lucas originally envisioned George R.R. Martin's saga, but previous technology wouldn't allow it.

Therefore, all 7 previous seasons are being redone so that Danny's throat is red.
redline248
AG
The thing that always bothered me in the show about her killing the Tarlys was how neither Dany, nor anyone else, pointed out that Randyl fought for her father in Robert's rebellion. His bit about her being a foreign ruler and she didn't say "uh, I was born here and forced into exile to avoid being murdered as a baby when your rightful king was usurped, thank you very much." If he refused to bend the knee after that, fine. Fck you, get rekt.

I also never bought that she would kill both him and Dickon, and that was just a way for the show to create some strife later, as another poster said.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Anyone else think Beric Dondarrion actor Richard Dormer should narrate ... everything?

That dude has such a silky smooth baritone, I could listen to him read anything.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
agrams said:

He is the legitimate firstborn son of the mad king's firstborn son.. which trumps daughters. Old school primogeniture.
To be fair, he would also trump any other younger sons (little brothers of Rhaegar) as well.

Child of the heir >>> younger siblings of the heir.
Farmer1906
AG
Episode IV said:

agrams said:

He is the legitimate firstborn son of the mad king's firstborn son.. which trumps daughters. Old school primogeniture.
To be fair, he would also trump any other younger sons (little brothers of Rhaegar) as well.

Child of the heir >>> younger siblings of the heir.

Exactly. Simba > Scar
The Debt
Anyone notice the weird moment between Bran and Tyrion in the courtyard?

If you have hbogo they have a director's commentary on the episode and they said when jon is told by Sam, Jon is having to process it all and he is (paraphrasing) "slow to the obvious signs that he is a targaryen" (they show Jon petting of a dragon on dragonstone last season and him riding one this episode.)

Remember when Tyrion unchained the dragons under the great pyramid?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
TXMatt15 said:

Tom Herman as Jon Snow...........got a good laugh out of this one
More like:

Tom Herman = Theon Greyjoy (or Varys)
Al Bula
AG
Coach O = Mord

Rudyjax
AG
I like GoT.
MaroonStain
AG
2 years and 1 episode has this thread at over 3k posts.

Does anyone have exact count?
MaroonStain
AG
272k views
pete_claw98
AG
Engineer nerd fan observation. What if Arya's dragon glass end of the spear could be out where Kingslayer's Gold Hans is? Captain Hook style! Valyrian steel sword in one hand and a slicing dragon glass "hook" (not a hook but an homage to Captain Hook) on the other?? Too corny??
Teddy Perkins
AG
It's never made sense to me why Jaime doesn't have a weapon he can attach to that stub.

smokeythebear
AG
Finally caught up on the thread. What a fun episode! A few thoughts:

1. I really liked the new intro. Gave us something new to look at and was a clear reaction to the shrinking world now that everyone is in one or two places.
2. Someone else made the joke about Jon and Dany's 1-on-1 date before the rose ceremony, but it really felt like this was Jon's "Hometown" episode. Jon introducing Dany to all of his family and showing her around the place he grew up, took her to his old make-out waterfall. Even had a solid side convo with Sansa about if Jon bent the knee for the "right reasons". All around hilarious analogy.
3. Dragon riding reminded me of the pod racing from Episode One. Really cool shot and I get that they had to establish Jon's ability to ride the dragon, but the whole time I just imagined Jon saying "There's no time for all 'at! I've seen the army of the undead. I looked into the Night King's eyes! We NEED to be ready, or we'll all just be meat for the army of the undead!"
4. I actually liked what they did with Ned Umber during the episode, showing him early on and then giving us an understanding of the passing of time. It showed actual progress the undead army has made from the wall. Better than when it took 6 seasons for the undead army to make it from the fist of the first men down to the wall. That undead army is finally getting into a good pace.
5. Wights- Seems pretty consistent that dragon glass or valyrian steel ceases the magic effect, but simply smashing them to bits would ultimately immobilize them enough to become ineffective. I wonder how the rules work, if they get stabbed by dragon glass, is that dead body now off limits to being re-raised by a new White Walker? We've seen now 4 WWs killed, and only once did they show the wights around them being un-animated (and that one guy left was all to plot convenient and cheezy). I wish they did a better job of showing some wights fall when Jon killed the WW at Hardhome.
6. Littlefinger is dead. So is Syrio Forel. Get over it.
7. Sam didn't argue with what Dany did with his father and brother, but he's a sensitive guy, of course he is going to be sad. He knows his dad is an *******, but his response to Dickon being killed was really heart-breaking. I don't think it's even hit him yet that he's now the last Tarley and must carry on the family lineage. I thought that scene was more to teach Dany about the collateral damage her decisions can create. I think she'll reflect on Sam's reaction next time she decides to execute her enemies.
8. I liked that they spent so much time on reunions this episode. Jon and Arya haven't seen each other since Season 1 Episode 1. That's a huge reunion. Imagine the scene when Jorah comes back to Dany cured, except times 5 because that's how much longer Arya and Jon have been apart and probably assumed each other dead. Tyrion and Sansa was another very important one I thought. These are characters that have grown so much since the last time they saw each other that they don't really know each other anymore. Of course none have changed as much as Jaimie and Bran's "relationship", that will be interesting to see.

Things that bothered me:
A) Where is Ghost and why aren't more people asking Jon why he left the Night's Watch? They're all pissed he flaked out on them after being named King in the North, but don't seem bothered that it's clearly a trend with Jon giving up leadership positions he didn't ask for. Why isn't Sam asking him about the Nights Watch either?
B) Why aren't more people asking where Dany's third dragon is and/or going "wait.. WHAT?!?" when Bran informs them he was turned into an Ice Dragon.
C) I was hoping for elephants. Cersei needs to double-check her receipt to see if she was charged for elephants or not.
smokeythebear
AG
pete_claw98 said:

Engineer nerd fan observation. What if Arya's dragon glass end of the spear could be out where Kingslayer's Gold Hans is? Captain Hook style! Valyrian steel sword in one hand and a slicing dragon glass "hook" (not a hook but an homage to Captain Hook) on the other?? Too corny??
I don't think Arya even knows about Jaimie's hand, let alone the fact he's on his way to Winterfell.

I think the weapon she asked him to make is just the staff she got used to fighting with in Bravos. It's surprising she would be proficient with Needle as she never used Needle in her Faceless Men training. Still, I can't figure out why she would really need a THIRD iconic weapon.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
smokeythebear said:

pete_claw98 said:

I don't think Arya even knows about Jaimie's hand, let alone the fact he's on his way to Winterfell.

I think the weapon she asked him to make is just the staff she got used to fighting with in Bravos. It's surprising she would be proficient with Needle as she never used Needle in her Faceless Men training. Still, I can't figure out why she would really need a THIRD iconic weapon.

A dull hook makes sense for many practical reasons. Riding, climbing, even carrying can be done with a hand and a hook. There is a reason it was a stereotype for pirates.
The Debt
Airk from Willow sported a pata

smokeythebear
AG
Champ Bailey said:

smokeythebear said:

pete_claw98 said:

A dull hook makes sense for many practical reasons. Riding, climbing, even carrying can be done with a hand and a hook. There is a reason it was a stereotype for pirates.
Sure, but why would ARYA be asking for Gendry to make it? Arya doesn't know or care about Jaimie's lack-of-hand.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
smokeythebear said:

Champ Bailey said:

smokeythebear said:

pete_claw98 said:

Sure, but why would ARYA be asking for Gendry to make it? Arya doesn't know or care about Jaimie's lack-of-hand.

Oh yeah, I don't think there is any connection. Just saying that I always thought that it was dumb Jamie didn't have a hook to do things himself, for as much pride he has.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Dual Dragon Ride was Cheese City.
Sex Panther
AG
Champ Bailey said:

smokeythebear said:

Champ Bailey said:

smokeythebear said:

pete_claw98 said:

Oh yeah, I don't think there is any connection. Just saying that I always thought that it was dumb Jamie didn't have a hook to do things himself, for as much pride he has.

I'm rewatching through right now, and over lunch, I watched the episode where Qyburn makes his gold hand and Jamie says, "A hook would be more practical"
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Sex Panther said:

Champ Bailey said:

smokeythebear said:

Champ Bailey said:

smokeythebear said:

pete_claw98 said:

I'm rewatching through right now, and over lunch, I watched the episode where Qyburn makes his gold hand and Jamie says, "A hook would be more practical"

sure but.....you can't (likely) choke your sister to death with a hook

"And when your tears have drowned you, the Valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you."

One real hand and one heavy gold hand can work together quite effectively i imagine.

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Sex Panther said:

Champ Bailey said:

smokeythebear said:

Champ Bailey said:

smokeythebear said:

pete_claw98 said:

See? Even Jaime agrees with me.
Cassius
Southlake said:

What? Great episode:

Dissension in the North, internal and external. Mistrust abounds
Jon reunited with Starks
Jon's identity revealed and Dragons let him ride
Many characters reintroduced after a long gap
Cercei plotting with Euron
Wall is burned down; White Army on the way.
Arya plotting something
Dragons hungry; Dany suspicious
Bran mysteriously controlling

New music pattern to same theme song. New visual during theme.

Yup. Great first episode. Momentum is building

It doesn't take much to amuse some, it appears.

I do agree on your Bran take. I'm thinking he's going to be a major player in these final episodes. That will not please me, but it's what I've come to expect from the writers.
redline248
AG
smokeythebear said:

pete_claw98 said:

Arya learned a lot about using Needle from Syrio Florel, and she trained with it (albeit against air) daily, before she went to Braavos.
EFE
AG
She had Brienne sucking wind in their little sparring match on her return to Winterfell. I'd say she's pretty proficient with it.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
redline248
AG
I'm not the one that was questioning it
MW03
AG
She's an assassin. She needed a sniper rifle. That's it.
First Page Last Page
Page 92 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.