****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,214 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
C@LAg said:

Champ Bailey said:

My hipster brother let me know that he started off watching GOT for the first time and started straight into season 7. He then said he tried to watch the first season and concluded that it was just as terrible, and he doesn't get why the show was ever popular.
well, at least he saved himself having to watch S8.

Sorry, I meant he started with season 8, not season 7.
BowSowy
AG
rynning said:

I just finished watching the series for the first time over the last two months. I had read the first two books a few years ago, but I'm glad I hadn't listened to any spoilers or opinions while watching it.

I enjoyed the whole thing, including the ending, with the possible exception of the Dorne family parts which I thought were cartoonish and filled with bad acting.

Would definitely recommend.
I'n actually pretty impressed you managed to avoid spoilers
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
So I nerded out today. I'm traveling through Scotland for my 29th birthday, and went to the Glen Ord distillery. Scotland is doing a signature GOT whiskey collection, based on similar locations in the GOT world and the actual country. Maybe this was obvious to everyone but me, but a lot of the geography matches up really well with the land. Picked me up some Riverrun Singleton to enjoy back in the states.

Urban Ag
AG
That's cool, have a great trip. I bought several bottles of the White Walker by Johnnie Walker and I don't even drink Scotch. Still sitting on the shelf collecting dust.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Eliminatus
AG
C@LAg said:

This was watched by several in our group this holiday, so I ended up rewatching most of it directly/indirectly with them.

It was even worse the second time around. Those few good parts from the earlier episodes now ring hollow once you know it is all for naught.

I have had the blu rays for S8 on preorder sinc eforever; they release this Tuesday. I am betting the box stays unopened for a long while before I am ready for a full series rewatch.

I still have zero desire to revisit this universe. I turned off the last episode as it aired, harrumphed, and.....that was it. That entire last season just murdered all love I had for the show. I thought for sure it would be a lifelong passion that I would rewatch annually, get all the merch, etc.

Nope. The entire franchise just straight died. I wonder what GoT sales have been like since the ending.

Mixed with my irrational hatred of GM, and his absolute refusal to finish the books (I am first and foremost a book reader), and I think I am done with this whole thing forever. I don't even care about the next book anymore at this point.

I figured my ire and "triggering" would have abated by now. As y'all can see, it has not.
Madmarttigan
AG
I get it. I have no interest in any prequels or reboots because of it.
JD Shellnut
AG
I've never seen a show go from so great to terrible as quick as GOT. I mean what the hell happen? How did things go so wrong?
JCRiley09
AG
Not that I ever considered it, but damn, how much would a GoT tattoo suck?
tk for tu juan
Just watch seasons 1 thru 7 (or 6), and make up your own ending from there. No reason to throw away an entire series due to one season, or rigidly stick with how the show runners did season 8.

Better yet, just MST3K the entire season for your own amusement.
aTmAg
AG
I still get suggested stories on my phone about GoT that I have to keep swiping away out of disgust. I wonder how long it takes google to figure out that I'm done with that show?
HtownAg92
AG
Wow, some of you are taking this a little bit far.

Were the last two episodes less than perfect? Sure
Was the last season the worst of them all? Yes
Was it absolutely god-awful terrible? No
Was it still better than anything put out in the past 10-15 years? Yes
Was the overall series irreparably doomed because of it? Shouldn't be
Was the overall series still better than anything put out in...I don't know...ever? Yes
Will I forever hate GOT and never watch any of it again, including any new projects that spring from it, because of how it ended? Are you f'ing kidding me?

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
The last season is better than season 5, and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
aTmAg
AG
HtownAg92 said:

Wow, some of you are taking this a little bit far.

Were the last two episodes less than perfect? Sure
Was the last season the worst of them all? Yes
Was it absolutely god-awful terrible? No
Was the overall series irreparably doomed because of it? Shouldn't be
Was the overall series still better than anything put out in...I don't know...ever? Yes
Will I forever hate GOT and never watch any of it again, including any new projects that spring from it, because of how it ended? Are you f'ing kidding me?
For the sake of your family, put the crack pipe down.
HtownAg92
AG
Are y'all honestly saying that if a prequel on the Targs or Robert's rebellion comes out you aren't going to watch it?

aTmAg
AG
HtownAg92 said:

Are y'all honestly saying that if a prequel on the Targs or Robert's rebellion comes out you aren't going to watch it?

There is a big difference between that statement and:
Quote:

If The Americans came out with a sequel, I'd watch the hell out of it, but that doesn't mean I think it's the best of the last 10-15 years (or ever).
BenFiasco14
AG
Still waiting on Strong Belwas to come and save the day
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Con Spirito
Drifter. said:

I've never seen a show go from so great to terrible as quick as GOT. I mean what the hell happen? How did things go so wrong?
My theory - the creators and writers had no idea what to do with the story once they ran out of George R. R. Martin's writing.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
That's not a theory, that's essentially fact.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Con Spirito said:

Drifter. said:

My theory - the creators and writers had no idea what to do with the story once they ran out of George R. R. Martin's writing.

They knew the basic story, endpoint and some of the milestone moments. And they hit those in a highlight reel of sorts.

What was completely missing was everything filling in the gaps - that GRRM excelled at - dialogue and prose and exposition that would have explained Dani's turn better and given some depth to things.

imho
JCRiley09
AG
Also, I think the writers really whiffed on showing that the Three Eyed Raven usurped the throne, not Bran Stark. They tried with all the "I'm not Bran" stuff at the beginning of the season, and then made him back into Bran in the finale. Makes no sense
Ulrich
Champ Bailey said:

So I nerded out today. I'm traveling through Scotland for my 29th birthday, and went to the Glen Ord distillery. Scotland is doing a signature GOT whiskey collection, based on similar locations in the GOT world and the actual country. Maybe this was obvious to everyone but me, but a lot of the geography matches up really well with the land. Picked me up some Riverrun Singleton to enjoy back in the states.

Glen Ord is fantastic.
Swarely
rhutton125
AG
Eliminatus said:

C@LAg said:

This was watched by several in our group this holiday, so I ended up rewatching most of it directly/indirectly with them.

It was even worse the second time around. Those few good parts from the earlier episodes now ring hollow once you know it is all for naught.

I have had the blu rays for S8 on preorder sinc eforever; they release this Tuesday. I am betting the box stays unopened for a long while before I am ready for a full series rewatch.

I still have zero desire to revisit this universe. I turned off the last episode as it aired, harrumphed, and.....that was it. That entire last season just murdered all love I had for the show. I thought for sure it would be a lifelong passion that I would rewatch annually, get all the merch, etc.

Nope. The entire franchise just straight died. I wonder what GoT sales have been like since the ending.

Mixed with my irrational hatred of GM, and his absolute refusal to finish the books (I am first and foremost a book reader), and I think I am done with this whole thing forever. I don't even care about the next book anymore at this point.

I figured my ire and "triggering" would have abated by now. As y'all can see, it has not.

A year and a half later and I still have no desire to revisit this franchise in any way. Brutal turn of events but that's where I am.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Still amazed at its downfall. I've never witnessed anything like it. From completely captivating the world and thud in record time.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
I still haven't seen the last episode after watching seasons 1-7 twice and up to the penultimate episode in season 8. What a pitiful end to an amazing franchise
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
There will never be anything like it again. It was truly incredible to watch the arc. Icarus as a television program.
Carlo4
AG
AgStuckinLBK said:

I still haven't seen the last episode after watching seasons 1-7 twice and up to the penultimate episode in season 8. What a pitiful end to an amazing franchise

I remember Vegas taking bets on who will be on the Iron Throne at the end before the last season started. Bran was the heavy favorite and I never understood why until the entire season was leaked.

One of my biggest regrets is not flying to Vegas and dropping my savings into it. Played out exactly as was released.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Still amazed at its downfall. I've never witnessed anything like it. From completely captivating the world and thud in record time.

Closest thing I can think of (but nowhere near the cultural phenomenon) was 'Heroes' back in the early 00's.

The first season was huge. Critical and commercial blockbuster (Save the cheerleader. Save the world).

The second season was a massive failure from the opening moments. The show never recovered.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
I thought True Detective S2 also **** the bed.
The Dirty Sock
I still watch 1-6 clips on YouTube from time to time. Amazing how it went from depth of conversation between characters to spectacle after spectacle during 6.5 to 8.
C@LAg
still have not watched the final episode. once all the spoilers detailed how horrible it was and it was confirmed, there was no point.
First Page Last Page
Page 418 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.