****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,246 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Fenrir
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GiveEmHellBill said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Still amazed at its downfall. I've never witnessed anything like it. From completely captivating the world and thud in record time.

Closest thing I can think of (but nowhere near the cultural phenomenon) was 'Heroes' back in the early 00's.

The first season was huge. Critical and commercial blockbuster (Save the cheerleader. Save the world).

The second season was a massive failure from the opening moments. The show never recovered.

Iirc writers strike played a big part of heroes season 2 fiasco. Season 2 ended up having to be cut short as a result of the strike which meant the season had to be reworked.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
C@LAg said:

still have not watched the final episode. once all the spoilers detailed how horrible it was and it was confirmed, there was no point.

There's no point either way if you read spoilers.
tk for tu juan
C@LAg said:

still have not watched the final episode. once all the spoilers detailed how horrible it was and it was confirmed, there was no point.
If you take the 60 episodes it took Dany to get across the Narrow Sea and divide it by the number of seconds she actually sat on the Iron Throne, then you would infinitely hate the final episode.
C@LAg
Brian Earl Spilner said:

C@LAg said:

There's no point either way if you read spoilers.
I have no problems with spoilers, as I have discussed in other threads.

I actually enjoy them for some shows.

But in this specific case, as season 8 winded down and the spoilers we were all initially scoffing at came true, the enthusiasm to see it actually play out just evaporated for me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

What is it about knowing spoilers you enjoy? Is it knowing something before everyone else? Legitimately curious.
C@LAg
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

What is it about knowing spoilers you enjoy? Is it knowing something before everyone else? Legitimately curious.
I only do it for some projects, not all, and when I do it it is purely for instant gratification. That is why i prefer binge watching shows vs weekly releases. I absolutely hate having to wait 7 days for the next episode of a show.

For GoT it was more due to the longer and longer production periods between seasons at the end of the run. There was a lot more spoiler info to consume, so simple as that.
Ulrich
For my traditional "way too late review of previously popular content", I have read this thread in its entirety over the last few days and will now bestow upon you the random thoughts I remember having. I watched the whole series shortly after the final season came out, and read all the books in early 2020.

1. Creating the Night King was a mistake. The walkers and wights are an elemental force. Embodying them in a character was the wrong technique to use here. Creating a persona who kinda sorta seemed to be acting logically made fans expect backstory and exposition. Well, the whole point is that they are terminators that can't be persuaded or bargained with. They represent something much more like Nature than a traditional antagonist, and the weather doesn't have motivations.

2. I feel like a lot of people have started throwing around words like Arcs and Storytelling without really good reasons. "It's bad storytelling", for example. But most of the time i don't really get what their actual problem is. Often people can't articulate a good argument, so they blame bad storytelling as a sort of jargony hand wave.

I write. I read. I read about writing and write about reading and every other permutation. And I've gotten to be a lot more careful about blaming something as vague as bad storytelling. Blaming a writer for bad storytelling is like blaming an athlete for bad sportsing. If you're going to diagnose, you have to be more specific and preferably more respectful of the profession.

3. My last comment on all the back and forth is that I think a lot of people can tell something is wrong, but they don't really know what it is. So they go looking, but all they can find is superficial / trivial stuff. If you find yourself arguing for 40 pages about the physics of medieval projectile weapons to explain why you hated a season of tv, that's not the real issue.

4. I think something is wrong with the last season. Most of the reasons why have been touched on. The sociological vs plot-driven writing, for example. Martin cares a lot more about the world he built than anyone in it, which meant that he can remorselessly follow the topsy turvy logic of his world wherever it leads. B&W can't, they are trying to balance too many external demands. And TBH I'm not sure, after that last season, that B&W ever really understood some of the characters and rules of the world.

5. Danaerys turning was almost too predictable to me. I spent most of the series feeling like she was walking a cliff's edge with insanity one slip away. Without going back and doing a rewatch, I can't say exactly why. But at the same time, when the moment came it didn't quite feel earned. It didn't feel like she "slipped", it felt like B&W walked up and shoved her into the abyss. And that sort of sums up season 8 for me. Very few things happened that didn't make sense, but most of them were hollow in the moment. The plot happened to them rather than letting the characters get there in their own time.

6. Drogon melting the throne and letting Jon walk both made sense to me. Dragons traditionally are sentient agents even if they operate by a different logic, that wasn't random weirdness or some sort of Targaryen protection over Jon. I think Drogon knew that death was her only way out of the pain, just like Danaerys knew it at some level and Jon knew it. She was never going to find the validation and love she craved and felt entitled to, and her character couldn't bear to go without it. The more desperately she tries to force people to love her, the less lovable she is. And I think Drogon blames the throne and what it represented for corrupting her so. The bond he had with Danaerys put him in a better place to know than anyone else.

7. There was still a lot of good in the last couple seasons, but I can't say that they stuck the landing. It felt a little like the whole production was ready to move on and do something else so they just finished it as fast as they could.

8. Most of the lady actors are sweethearts. It's nice, they seem grounded and charming. Wonderful casting throughout the series.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Ulrich said:

8. Most of the lady actors are sweethearts.
Sounds like something Ron Burgundy would say.
Ulrich
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Ulrich said:

8. Most of the lady actors are sweethearts.
Sounds like something Ron Burgundy would say.

If you know a better description of Emilia Clark I'd like to hear it.
Anchorhold
"looks great naked"
The Dog Lord
AG
While many agree with what you wrote, some of the major complaints come from the explanations offered by D&D. It really shows how poorly done some of it was. For instance, when it comes to Drogon melting the Iron Throne, the script said that Drogon was just randomly blowing fire in his grief/rage after discovering Dany dead. There was no meaningful intent behind it.
cupcakesprinkles
AG
I never watched the last episode of Deadwood and I wished I had quit watching GoT after the big battle with the nightwalkers. Leading up to that battle was the most nervous I had ever been in watching a TV show or movie. The conclusion to the battle was good and I would have been happier without ever knowing who ended up on the throne.
Ulrich
The Dog Lord said:

While many agree with what you wrote, some of the major complaints come from the explanations offered by D&D. It really shows how poorly done some of it was. For instance, when it comes to Drogon melting the Iron Throne, the script said that Drogon was just randomly blowing fire in his grief/rage after discovering Dany dead. There was no meaningful intent behind it.

That's kind of what I meant when I said that I'm not sure they really understand the world they are writing. Feels like GRRM told them things that happen, but not the why. But that's really hard to square with how well the first 6 seasons were executed, how could they nail it for so long without deep understanding? So maybe I'm just reading too much into stuff, I don't know.

That said, Drogon destroying the throne = the totem of the most powerful figure from the series destroying the most potent symbol of power in the series. Thrones and dragons both carry enormous symbolic baggage. It sure seems like that should be more than a dumb animal acting randomly.

Like I said, things that work intellectually keep failing on an emotional level. It's just stuff happening, it's not a plot, at least not in the Forsterian sense of the word.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Carlo4
AG
a few more checks to add as well.

-Dad also died
-Ran away from Kingdom while it fell apart
-Saw their dads in visions
-Incestual relationships*

*I mean there was only one Lion and all those lionesses right? Simba and Nala had to be related.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
After about 10 months of procrastinating, the Game of Thrones Greatest Moments Tournament will start in the morning.
Tanya 93
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

After about 10 months of procrastinating, the Game of Thrones Greatest Moments Tournament will start in the morning.
Jon Snow's naked ass better be on there
Carlo4
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

As long as a Joey Gallo reference makes it in there!
The Dirty Sock
This bump just rekindled my disappointment
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The Dirty Sock said:

The tournament will start off really promising, the middle rounds will be simply the amazing, but the finals will be pitiful.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
The Dirty Sock said:

I'll participate in rounds 1-7 but I'm out if there is a round 8.
The Dirty Sock
One of the tournament entries will have no substance to it whatsoever and be given the tourny crown because it had the best story.
Eliminatus
AG
Soooo....has anyone bucked up and done a rewatch yet of the entire series?

Like most here I tend to forget traumatic events and remember only the good. Towards that end, I am thinking of starting all over again. But honestly, not sure if it is worth it since I know. The first few seasons were just so damn good though! Some of the best moments I have seen on screen if I am being honest. Hardhome might be my favorite hour of continuous tv.
theSCHW4B
AG
I finished a full rewatch a few months ago. The first 6 seasons are still so good, and I think seasons 7-8 work better as a binge as opposed to weekly watching. Still very frustrating to watch season 8 and think what could've been. So many wasted opportunities.
Maveric
AG
Eliminatus said:

Soooo....has anyone bucked up and done a rewatch yet of the entire series?

Like most here I tend to forget traumatic events and remember only the good. Towards that end, I am thinking of starting all over again. But honestly, not sure if it is worth it since I know. The first few seasons were just so damn good though! Some of the best moments I have seen on screen if I am being honest. Hardhome might be my favorite hour of continuous tv.
I just finished a complete rewatching last week. I think when you can watch it all within a short period of time you get a more cohesive story. I remember one thing I did not like on original viewing was that it seemed Danerys snapped too quickly; and it seemed that the phrase "every time a Targaryen is born a coin is flipped" was introduced right before the sacking of King's Landing.
In fact, Maester Aemon tells Sam this very thing in season 1 or 2.
tk for tu juan
I started a rewatch of season one then the football season started and the Formula 1 championship got interesting, probably will start over in January.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Bump. Doing a rewatch. Seasons 1-6 have been really good, and I've caught a bunch of stuff this go around I missed before. Not super excited for seasons 7-8 as the further I get, the more it feels rushed.

But the real reason I'm posting is because I just learned DIRE WOLVES WERE REAL?!?!!

https://www.nps.gov/whsa/learn/nature/dire-wolves.htm
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
G Martin 87
AG
mazag08 said:

Blatant Disregard said:

Episode IV said:

Game of Thrones overall was a MUCH better show than Breaking Bad and it's no contest. Do you see anyone lining up to make prequels and sequels to Breaking Bad?

**** no.

Breaking Bad was a good show; a great show. GoT even with the warts at the end; is the ****ing FRANCHISE!

You might be trolling but BB has a spin-off prequel called Better Call Saul and it's one of the best shows on TV.

No, it's not. It's about as meh as a show can get.
This aged well.
G Martin 87
AG
And before anyone asks, no, I'm still not done with WoW. But it's going to be the biggest book in the series after all the rewrites!
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
G Martin 87 said:

And before anyone asks, no, I'm still not done with WoW. But it's going to be the biggest book in the series after all the rewrites!
Yeah but have you started the NEXT one....
Duncan Idaho
What is so insane to think about is that even after seeing the teaser for the prequel, I have zero ****s to give about watching it. It it gets good buzz after it airs, I'll check it out. But for the most part the ending of GoT was so ****ing terrible, I don't really care if they make this or not.

aTmAg
AG
LOL on GoT being better than BB. Not even close.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
G Martin 87 said:

Be truthful. You're actually working on another Dunk and Egg book, instead of WoW, aren't you.
Carlo4
AG
G Martin 87 said:

mazag08 said:

Blatant Disregard said:

Episode IV said:

Game of Thrones overall was a MUCH better show than Breaking Bad and it's no contest. Do you see anyone lining up to make prequels and sequels to Breaking Bad?

**** no.

Breaking Bad was a good show; a great show. GoT even with the warts at the end; is the ****ing FRANCHISE!

You might be trolling but BB has a spin-off prequel called Better Call Saul and it's one of the best shows on TV.

No, it's not. It's about as meh as a show can get.
This aged well.
The GOT producers in Season 1

The GOT producers after the Red Wedding

The GOT producers after Joffrey dies

The GOT producers in Season 7.

The GOT producers in Season 8

The GOT producers now.

G Martin 87
AG
Arrakis ecologist said:

G Martin 87 said:

Yeah but have you started the NEXT one....
Good news! Volume 1 of The Rise of the Dragon is coming out this October! Also finished editing another Wild Cards anthology, Dark Winds comes out on AMC in June, Night of the Cooters is done, and we're starting shooting on another short film! Busy, busy! Not so much on the thing you've all been waiting for nearly 10 years, but yes, very busy!

First Page
Page 419 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.