****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,717 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
The Dog Lord
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agreed really. I think someone else mentioned a scenario in which a few houses/groups actually desert as a great way to make it "real".
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
cbr
AG
For ****s sake. A *******ed actor under stress.

That sum***** trades my last 3 years with me - he'd be ****ing dead and I'd be one happy ass camper.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
cbr said:

That sum***** trades my last 3 years with me - he'd be ****ing dead and I'd be one happy ass camper.

I don't know finding out you banged your aunt can be stressful. And he previously had to watch his first love die in his arms after she tried to kill him. Then he died and came back to life. And he had to battle both dragons and the undead. Lots of family issues too.
plowboy1065
S
Zombie Jon Snow said:

cbr said:

I don't know finding out you banged your aunt can be stressful. And he previously had to watch his first love die in his arms after she tried to kill him. Then he died and came back to life. And he had to battle both dragons and the undead. Lots of family issues too.

Obligatory you know nothing Zombie Jon Snow
tk for tu juan
Marrying a redhead is finally catching up to him.
My Dad Earl
AG
From the beginning of the documentary: one of the production crew in North Ireland sporting a Buccees hat lol

SpreadsheetAg
AG
That wildling fermented goats milk can be highly addictive
dcAg
I thought the ending was fine.

Dany = Veruca Salt
I want my Iron Throne and I want it now!
She showed these tendencies for several seasons.

Tyrion basically became ruler of the 7 kingdoms but wasnt the one on the iron throne. If fine with it.
JCRiley09
AG
Unless the books finally come out and prove otherwise, I'm going to believe the 3ER (not Bran, as repeatedly stated this year) usurped the throne from mortals and will be king for centuries. D&D just did a pathetic job of portraying this.
bonfarr
AG
JCRiley09 said:

Unless the books finally come out and prove otherwise, I'm going to believe the 3ER (not Bran, as repeatedly stated this year) usurped the throne from mortals and will be king for centuries. D&D just did a pathetic job of portraying this.

Sucks for Von Sydow's character the old 3ER, he gets stuck in a tree in a dingy cave for centuries but Bran the Broken gets to sit on the throne.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Carlo4
AG
"bran is a creepy foreign cripple"
"he barely has a personality"
"psychic ****ery"
"The King is possibly an evil tree"

Podrick can't have sex...
Sam scrubbed bed pans, stole some books, and ran...
Bronn not knowing loans but is master of coin (I noticed this one before)
The joke about Tyrion not being in history books and he wasn't in Sam's book.

CapCityAg89
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So passive aggressive although I agree with it all. And sad that they're seemingly shutting down. I love how they dig and provide analysis. I really hope the next book (or maybe the WOT series) inspires a return.
Fenrir
What do you mean they're shutting down? I didn't catch anything about that. He mentions a bunch of future material?

Also the line about the kingdom is not perfect and the king may be an evil tree was great.
ja86
AG
Alt-x is taking a break, not shutting down.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Random: I never realized Joffrey was in Batman Begins until just now.
CapCityAg89
AG
ja86 said:

Alt-x is taking a break, not shutting down.

Ah. I misread the tone of that then. It sounded to me like he was taking a break but might come back for one of the pending shows/movies (or might not). Regardless, he sounded totally beaten down.
ja86
AG
lol... i think season 8 took a toll on them...
Deputy Travis Junior
Finally watched the last episode yesterday, more out of a sense of duty than desire. What a pile of crap that continued the Hollywood cliche model the show sank into mid season 7. Just a few things that stood out (I'm sure they've all been beaten to death over the last 100 pages):

-King's Landing is completely F'in wrecked, but Tyrion easily finds Jaime's body in a half hour.
-Dany and Grey Worm clearly no longer trust Jon, but her guards disappear, so Jon just walks up and stabs her.
-Drogon, after discovering that Jon has killed Dany, decides to... melt the Iron Throne!? (biggest WTF in a season full of them)
-Whatever that Bran election was. "Stories have power!" as justification for making somebody king was the worst monologue I've ever seen in TV or film.
-Bronn is somehow one of Bran's advisor's?

Just terrible.

Through the first 6 seasons, GoT felt like medieval House of Cards (the British one, not the awful American one): a lot of smart, complicated, ruthless characters were competing for power, and if a character slipped up, he/she paid for it dearly. Also, the writing didn't ask the viewers to accept complete BS on a weekly basis. That all went out the window mid season 7. The characters morphed into cliches, and the "logical consequences of actions" element disappeared. Jon can run into a horde of 10k zombies and be saved by his Uncle because he has to live. Cersei's fleet can easily kill a dragon from a mile away, sink a hundred ships, find Missandei in the mass of wreckage, and teleport her across the continent for execution because the writers need to justify Dany's descent into madness. The next week, the same scorpions are utterly incapable of killing another dragon because Dany has to trash the city. And so, so many more.

Writing a show with the plot complexity and character depth of the first 6 seasons is really, really hard, so I'm not surprised that there was some drop-off after they moved well past GRRM's books, but damn. I didn't expect it to face plant THAT hard.
cbr
AG
Deputy Travis Junior said:

Finally watched the last episode yesterday, more out of a sense of duty than desire. What a pile of crap that continued the Hollywood cliche model the show sank into mid season 7. Just a few things that stood out (I'm sure they've all been beaten to death over the last 100 pages):

-King's Landing is completely F'in wrecked, but Tyrion easily finds Jaime's body in a half hour.
-Dany and Grey Worm clearly no longer trust Jon, but her guards disappear, so Jon just walks up and stabs her.
-Drogon, after discovering that Jon has killed Dany, decides to... melt the Iron Throne!? (biggest WTF in a season full of them)
-Whatever that Bran election was. "Stories have power!" as justification for making somebody king was the worst monologue I've ever seen in TV or film.

Just terrible.

Through the first 6 seasons, GoT felt like medieval House of Cards (the British one, not the awful American one): a lot of smart, complicated, ruthless characters were competing for power, and if a character slipped up, he/she paid for it dearly. Also, the writing didn't ask the viewers to accept complete BS on a weekly basis. That all went out the window mid season 7. The characters morphed into cliches, and the "logical consequences of actions" element disappeared. Jon can run into a horde of 10k zombies and be saved by his Uncle because he has to live. Cersei's fleet can easily kill a dragon from a mile away, sink a hundred ships, find Missandei in the mass of wreckage, and teleport her across the continent for execution because the writers need to justify Dany's descent into madness. The next week, the same scorpions are utterly incapable of killing another dragon because Dany has to trash the city. And so, so many more.

Writing a show with the plot complexity and character depth of the first 6 seasons is really, really hard, so I'm not surprised that there was some drop-off after they moved well past GRRM's books, but damn. I didn't expect it to face plant THAT hard.
Welcome to the party
FightinTexasAg15
AG
http://collider.com/game-of-thrones-emmys-2019-writing-directing/

The season finale was the only episode of season 8 to be submitted for the "best writing" Emmy

You can't make up this level of delusion. Submit A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms or something but the last one? Come on.
Punked Shank
AG
They think we are all pleebs. Hollywood believes they are royalty
aggietony2010
AG
As someone who enjoyed watching (most of) the finale (but recognized it was deeply flawed)...

Are they really that ****ing stupid?
God save the Patriarchy!
JCRiley09
AG
I know it's been said, but the continued missteps makes me worry about the upcoming Star Wars trilogy the guys are in charge of. As soon as the GRRM source material dried up, so did the intrigue of the show.
cbr
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

http://collider.com/game-of-thrones-emmys-2019-writing-directing/

The season finale was the only episode of season 8 to be submitted for the "best writing" Emmy

You can't make up this level of delusion. Submit A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms or something but the last one? Come on.
That is by far the worst episode in the entire got

8-4 was next.

Thise were the only 2 episodes out of 70 something that were abjectly, laughably horrible.

A lot of people hate 5 too - but at least 5 was visually awesome, and you can fit a lot of theories into why 5 makes sense.

Except what they did in 6, which makes no sense whatsoever. And it was visually cheap and absurd.
bangobango
AG
Deputy Travis Junior said:

Just terrible.

I think you would appreciate this article:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-real-reason-fans-hate-the-last-season-of-game-of-thrones/?redirect=1
Tanya 93
4 of the 6 Emmy nominations for supporting actress in the final season.

Are they going to cancel each other out?
Urban Ag
AG
I can't believe it's already been a couple of months since this ended.

Dang, this thread got down right contentious at times.
phatbc
Quote:

I can write a cool ending with nearly anyone 'winning' or anyone 'dying'

What cant be reconciled is turning one of the most complex interesting characters in tv history into a two bit cheap simpleton villain at the very end, while completely throwing out the entire theme of the show to do so.

They should have just glued a hitler stache on danarys for 8-6.

That and throwing logic oit the window in 4 and 6. Or i guess 5 too. 5 made perfect sense in the theme of the show, but they ditched the theme completely for 6, so wtf.

See this is mostly how I feel too. My wife and I just watched the entire series for the first time over the last two months.

A part of me gets the mad queen destiny but also completely agree that the 2 episode descent was just way too simplified and fast, so it made it unbelievable. Even with her world crumbling down, it was just weird actually.

And let's address how all her advisors, knowing full well she had an aggressive streak, just kept distancing themselves from her in her greatest time of need. They were like well we believe in you and want you to be queen...but we are going to go completely cold towards you and cause you to flame out so that you will make us hate you. It was just weird, lacked compassion, I dunno...just seemed off having watched the whole series in a short period of time.

I still think a part of me was hoping we were building Dany to be this really complex character who gets greatly influenced by Jon and all the lessons along the way and after all the loss and struggle, they decide to break the wheel and destroy the throne and the kingdoms become free. I realize GRRM likely didn't have this intention but damn...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
rynning
AG
I just finished watching the series for the first time over the last two months. I had read the first two books a few years ago, but I'm glad I hadn't listened to any spoilers or opinions while watching it.

I enjoyed the whole thing, including the ending, with the possible exception of the Dorne family parts which I thought were cartoonish and filled with bad acting.

Would definitely recommend.
Liquid Wrench
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
My hipster brother let me know that he started off watching GOT for the first time and started straight into season 7. He then said he tried to watch the first season and concluded that it was just as terrible, and he doesn't get why the show was ever popular.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
First Page Last Page
Page 417 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.