****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,489 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
OldShadeOfBlue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Great Beard of Zeus said:

Text I sent my brother (who is a hater of this season) after the last episode:

You can't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Awesome moments outside the battles and your yeeting of Kaiburn:

Moment in tent with tyrion and Jamie,bro love. both characters full arc imo

Cersei and Jamie dying together. Nice touch.

Mountain and hound dying together in fire by hound's blinded bull rush through crumbling red keep (where both spent most of their adult lives)

Euron getting ****ing destroyed after destroying dragonstone...by drogon. Then meeting Jamie and the two Cersei suitors dueling it out. Thinks he killed Jamie, didn't. Dies delusional and kind of self grandiosing. ironically does trying to convince himself he's famous for killing Jamie although no one will ever know, and he didn't actually kill him.

Cersei staring into hopelessness all episode saying the keep has never fallen. Then it does. And she is blinded by rage.

Dany going rogue obvi, fulfilling fathers rage.

The hound finally convincing arya that she has more to live for than revenge (still some foreshadowing going on even in second to last episode in my opinion)

Dude that whole episode was so rich it is telling of the people who hated it.

Change your list from "great moments in the episode" to "things that happened in the episode" and I'm right there with you.

Here's my take, if you have to explain a joke, is it really that good of a joke? If you have to explain to people why this has been a good season, is it really?
cbr
AG
saltydog13 said:

I've restarted the show, and found it interesting that King Robert says that it's fear and blood that keeps the peace, and not honor (in regards to Ned Stark)
everyone that tried honor is dead or gave up and went for blood.
cbr
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

If you have to explain to people why this has been a good season, is it really?
if you didnt like 3 and 5, you just dont like good shows.

4 was pretty stupid, can't get behind that one

1&2 - i'll have to rewatch. they were ok.

smokeythebear
AG
bobinator said:

I wasn't trying to twist it in some complex way, I was just nothing that it's one thing to kill someone on someone else's orders. It's another to decide to kill them yourself.

Not sure why you're so annoyed by that. It doesn't really mean anything for the show since everyone involved in both scenes is dead now except Dany, but still feels like a distinction.
Varys DID want to kill Dany back then. He supported Viserys and kept both of them alive, but once Viserys was dead and Dany was married to Drogo, Varys did NOT think that Drogo bringing the Dothraki to Westeros would be a good thing so he advised Robert to order the hit. At least that was my understanding of the situation, however it very likely could have been simply Varys telling Robert what he wanted to hear and following through simply because he didn't want Robert to have his head.

I do not believe there is any truth to the notion that Varys told Jorah to spare her. Jorah received his pardon and knew that meant the hit was being carried out and he made the decision to stop it himself.
jboog
AG
cbr said:

OldShadeOfBlue said:

If you have to explain to people why this has been a good season, is it really?
if you didnt like 3 and 5, you just dont like good shows.
There it is, simple and plain. C'mon you dummies
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
If you want to enjoy the last of GoT, get off this thread for a minimum of 24 hours. When you return, you'll realize how ridiculous we've all become and be able to enjoy discussing it with your friends rather than engage in 96-hour (whoop) long insult-fest with total strangers.
bobinator
AG
5 is only good grading on a curve, and because the Dany stuff was such a hot button issue that other stuff hasn't gotten talked about as much as it did for 4 like the absolutely absurdity of how effective the scorpions were in episode 4 to how absolutely ineffective they are in 5.
BarKeep_03
AG
More sloppy/lazy writing

bobinator
AG
I'm actually the other way, I think this thread is a lot of fun and helps me enjoy the show more. My wife and our friends are actually more negative than this thread has been, at least in here we can find some stuff to joke about.
AustinAg2K
saltydog13 said:

I've restarted the show, and found it interesting that King Robert says that it's fear and blood that keeps the peace, and not honor (in regards to Ned Stark)
The funny thing about it all, is after the last episode Robert looks like he was actually the best ruler.
smokeythebear
AG
AustinAg2K said:

saltydog13 said:

The funny thing about it all, is after the last episode Robert looks like he was actually the best ruler.
"You heard the Hand. The King's too fat for his armor. Go find the breastplate stretcher - now!"

Funny that Lancel ends up banging Robert's widow and then gets her thrown in jail.
dcAg
The good guys always ride white horses at the end of "the story" right? Arya to the rescue!
Texaggie7nine
Maybe if you kill the Night King, you become the new Night King and Arya and that horse are both dead.
7nine
Punked Shank
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Maybe if you kill the Night King, you become the new Night King and Arya and that horse are both dead.

Too bad these writers are POS writers and we have no background on the night king or how he came to be....thats my biggest hate for how these writers just overlooked the NK. So stupid....
Texaggie7nine
Isn't this the creation of the Night King?

7nine
Punked Shank
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

No clue. Maybe i missed it through the binge portions when i was catching up a few seasons ago. If its a joke picture it was completely over my head
StringerBell
AG
I thought they covered the night kings origin fairly well
Urban Ag
AG
smokeythebear said:

AustinAg2K said:

saltydog13 said:

"You heard the Hand. The King's too fat for his armor. Go find the breastplate stretcher - now!"

Funny that Lancel ends up banging Robert's widow and then gets her thrown in jail.
I remember those scenes being pretty comical to me. The guy that played Lancel was like 17 or 18 when those scenes were filmed, really young looking, and really skinny. And Lena Headey was mid 30's and all woman. I can remember thinking "give it hell kid".
Texaggie7nine
coastsrs said:

Texaggie7nine said:

No clue. Maybe i missed it through the binge portions when i was catching up a few seasons ago. If its a joke picture it was completely over my head
It's the vision Bran had while in the tree. The Children of the forest created the white walkers to protect them from the early men who were cutting down the forests. They captured this dude and stabbed dragon glass into his heart and his eyes went blue.
7nine
WestAustinAg
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

Change your list from "great moments in the episode" to "things that happened in the episode" and I'm right there with you.

Here's my take, if you have to explain a joke, is it really that good of a joke? If you have to explain to people why this has been a good season, is it really?
What a novel way to stop debate and declare yourself correct. If you have to tell people the season sucks...does it really?
Phrasing
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Yes, this was in one of Bran's visions when he was training with the original 3ER. It was explained that the Children of the Forest created him (the NK) to help destroy the First Men. The NK at some point turned on both the Children and the First Men, and both groups teamed together and formed a pact to work together to drive the NK north with this rest of the WW.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
bangobango said:

You knew this was coming:

People these days are so GD entitled. The same idiots starting and signing these worthless petitions vote in real elections, too. And that's terrifying.

I'd bet most of the people who signed this also want the government to pay off their student loans.
M.C. Swag
AG
StringerBell said:

Other than his motivations, what he's been up to for thousands of years, why did he need craster's babies, what specifically was his beef with the 3ER, and all that. Yea, he was covered fairly well.
Broba Fett
coastsrs said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Too bad these writers are POS writers and we have no background on the night king or how he came to be....thats my biggest hate for how these writers just overlooked the NK. So stupid....

Hell, they created him. He isn't even in the books.
jboog
AG
StringerBell said:

I think people were just hoping that there was more to him than just wanting to bring "The Long Night".

Honestly not sure how much of that letdown was on D&D vs. fans just overtheorizing. I think the show and it's bad guys had just been so much more nuanced up until that point that it was a bit disappointing that all the NK wanted was to kill everyone.
chase128
AG
If the books ever come out I bet GRRM has a lot more on the white walkers. Seems like a lot changed for the show in that regard (adding the NK).
I think the show NK/white walkers is one of the biggest victims of the rushed show schedule.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/13/the-hound-game-of-thrones-cleganebowl/

Quote:

What was the table read like for you?

McCann - "It was quite emotional. You're seeing deaths and it's all happening in front of you and you're seeing people get upset and then you get to your bit. It was quite funny when the so-called Cleganebowl started. I secretly brought a trumpet with me. [Co-executive producer Bryan Cogman] is reading [the stage directions] and I'm like, "Can you pause right before I say one of my last lines?" He did and I brought out this trumpet and [blew it]. I got butterflies in my stomach over that fight."
Urban Ag
AG
SAtxag16 said:

StringerBell said:

I think people were just hoping that there was more to him than just wanting to bring "The Long Night".

Honestly not sure how much of that letdown was on D&D vs. fans just overtheorizing. I think the show and it's bad guys had just been so much more nuanced up until that point that it was a bit disappointing that all the NK wanted was to kill everyone.
I think this is a good point. There seems to be two general groups of fans.

Group A are people that probably typically consume a lot of fantasy and sci-fi. They're more invested in the genre. They have greater expectations and since the series moved off the books it hasn't really been able to deliver the way it did when the writers had a road map.

Group B are people that see this more as a soap opera. They're not nearly as invested in the how and the why, nor do they need everything thing to make perfect sense. They want to see what happens next. They're willing to forgive some inconsistencies and are not nearly as bothered by them.

As an example, Group A types absolutely hated everything about how Rhaegal was killed by ship mounted scorpions. Literally everything about the scene. Logic defied. No one could pull that off. How is Dany so stupid. The whole thing pissed them off. Group B looks at the same scene as thinks yeah, kind of hokey, but the scene was meant to build her anger and frustration and throw in something we didn't see coming. Dany is still arrogant and overconfident and flew herself in to an ambush. Let's move on.

I'm definitely in the Group B. I loved the books because I couldn't stop reading them because I wanted to know what happens next. The show is no different. I'm here to be entertained, not fulfilled necessarily.
jboog
AG
chase128 said:

If the books ever come out I bet GRRM has a lot more on the white walkers. Seems like a lot changed for the show in that regard (adding the NK).
I think the show NK/white walkers is one of the biggest victims of the rushed show schedule.
Couldn't agree more. I haven't read the books themselves, but I've read about them and from what i've read/heard from GRRM it sounds like the Winds of Winter is supposed to feature much more beyond the Wall.

Just unfortunate b/c I think the NK and White Walkers could have been much more compelling than what ended up largely being just traditional zombies.
M.C. Swag
AG
chase128 said:

I'm re-reading the books right now and there's so many characters that got short-shafted.
Euron
Tyrion
Quinten Martell

Even Roose Bolton was more compelling in the books. I completely forgot that they gave some of his lines to Tywin. That whole scene with Arya serving Tywin and he teaches her to say "m'lord" instead of "my lord" to keep the pretense of being low-born was something that Roose was teaching to Theon.

And those are just characters that actually made the show. There's half a dozen more that are integral to the story that just got cut (Strong Belwas, Aegon Targaryen, and Patchface most notably).
Luke Smith
M.C. Swag said:

chase128 said:

I'm re-reading the books right now and there's so many characters that got short-shafted.
Euron
Tyrion
Quinten Martell

But at least they gave the Sand Snakes a cool story!
Urban Ag
AG
M.C. Swag said:

StringerBell said:

Other than his motivations, what he's been up to for thousands of years, why did he need craster's babies, what specifically was his beef with the 3ER, and all that. Yea, he was covered fairly well.
This is kind of my point in the above post.

Motivation - to kill people, that's what the children created him for

What's he done for thousands of years - I guess wait for right time to get off his ass. It was noted several times that when the books/series begin that a new era of magic and begun. The WW rising against could coincide with that.

Craster's baby boys - to make more WW's?

3ER - to erase human history

Yeah sure, I would like to know more but you know, is what it is.
smokeythebear
AG
Broba Fett said:

coastsrs said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Hell, they created him. He isn't even in the books.
Lol, I forget that D&D came up with the lame "if you put a knife of dragon glass into a man's heart, he turns into an insane wicked undead creature that will terrorize the world for the next 1,000 years". Haha, makes a lot more sense when I'm reminded of the fact that isn't book canon.
jboog
AG
Urban Ag said:

SAtxag16 said:

StringerBell said:

I think this is a good point. There seems to be two general groups of fans.

Group A are people that probably typically consume a lot of fantasy and sci-fi. They're more invested in the genre. They have greater expectations and since the series moved off the books it hasn't really been able to deliver the way it did when the writers had a road map.

Group B are people that see this more as a soap opera. They're not nearly as invested in the how and the why, nor do they need everything thing to make perfect sense. They want to see what happens next. They're willing to forgive some inconsistencies and are not nearly as bothered by them.

As an example, Group A types absolutely hated everything about how Rhaegal was killed by ship mounted scorpions. Literally everything about the scene. Logic defied. No one could pull that off. How is Dany so stupid. The whole thing pissed them off. Group B looks at the same scene as thinks yeah, kind of hokey, but the scene was meant to build her anger and frustration and throw in something we didn't see coming. Dany is still arrogant and overconfident and flew herself in to an ambush. Let's move on.

I'm definitely in the Group B. I loved the books because I couldn't stop reading them because I wanted to know what happens next. The show is no different. I'm here to be entertained, not fulfilled necessarily.
I think I'm probably somewhere in between.

I've really enjoyed the series, certainly one of my all time favorites, but maybe somewhere in the last couple years my expectations got too high. That's easy to do when you've got people theorizing for years about what might happen and I read a good bit of that.

I think one of GRRM's ideas that I really became infatuated with was the relationship between good and evil and how it is much more nuanced than it is often presented in books, movies and tv shows. I always thought that was such a interesting idea that he was exploring and they did a good job of that with characters like Cersei, Tywin, Jamie, the Wildlings, etc.

But then for the Night King, the ultimate villain, to really just be a killing machine wanting to end all human life. I found that pretty disappointing.
Dro07
AG
don't forget the magic!
First Page Last Page
Page 370 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.