****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,650 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Render
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgStuckinLBK said:

Render said:

A medieval Batman-type character would be so cool. He'd be a rich lord who's parents were killed when they were walking King's Landing at night. He trained in the eastern lands, so he has exotic fighting techniques combined with Westeros technology. Now he travels around the continent battling crime.

You just described Dany

Danys parents - King and Queen
Honed her fighting skills in Essos
Dragons are definitely an exotic fighting style
There is no more crime in Kings Landing

Holy dragon fire, Batman!
astros4545
AG
Robyn Arryn now has a whole new city to build moon doors in when he is named King
Phrasing
AG
So how did Jon, Grey Worm, Arya, Tyrion, the rest of the Unsullied, the Dothraki and any one else that was in/near the streets of Kings Landing survive? In the previews it looked like she still has a good chunk of her army with her, but not sure how anyone survived all that? Especially people that were fighting in the streets. Maybe she knew where they were and purposely avoided them?
jm94
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
According to Google Maps StreetView King's Landing she only burned about 75% of the actual city.
bobinator
AG
Phrasing said:

So how did Jon, Grey Worm, Arya, Tyrion, the rest of the Unsullied, the Dothraki and any one else that was in/near the streets of Kings Landing survive? In the previews it looked like she still has a good chunk of her army with her, but not sure how anyone survived all that? Especially people that were fighting in the streets. Maybe she knew where they were and purposely avoided them?

Based on the Battle of Winterfell the Dothraki appear to have the ability to respawn, so I'm not too worried about them.
Dro07
AG
Somebody got them wet I just hope no one feeds them after midnight
bobinator
AG
One good thing about this debate over Dany is that it's really overshadowed a lot of other stupid stuff that happened. Like everything involving the scorpions and the dragons would have been a war crime in any other episode, but seems completely trivial now.
Urban Ag
AG
SAtxag16 said:

If Jon had just sacked up and thrown her that nephew D none of it would have happened.
This x1000.

Any dude that has been in a long relationship knows this. On the rare occasion you actually turn it down, I don't know, you got the sh**s or you're just really tired, or whatever the reason (almost never happens for any semi normal dude)...chicks lose their ever lovin sh**.

<Dany inner monologue> That's the third, third time that basturd from land of ice cubes has turned me down. Three times. I am the Mother of Dragons. I am the hottest woman on this continent. Who TF does he think he is? Daario would have rolled through Mereeneese cactus naked just to sniff my greatness one more time. So pissed off. Oh F them all. DRACARYS!

<Tyrion inner monologue> Oh how noble of you Jon Snow. Always the son of the honorable Eddard Stark. Except you're really not. You're a god damned Targaryen. You couldn't take one more for the team to save the city. By the gods, it's not like the innocents depended on you slinging it to Brienne. even my idiot brother was willing to do that. Why didn't we just bring Pod?

<Ygritte from the grave> You still know nothing Jon Snow. Nothing. Not a damn thing.
BenFiasco14
AG
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Urban Ag
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Interesting tidbit I noticed on a rewatch of Ep. 5. I don't think it's been mentioned.

The night before the battle in the throne room of DS Dany is talking to Tyrion who is pleading his case for not wrecking the city and killing innocents, etc.

Toward the end of that at one point she says something about Cersei believing Mercy was their weakness. And then she says

"Mercy is our strength. Our mercy is toward future generations who will never be held hostage by a tyrant."

Just thought her emphasis there on future generations - not the current one - was interesting in hindsight. Did she already mentally have justification for not showing mercy to this generation?

PS - i know what the show producers said about her turn. But they've said a lot of other crap too.
Yes. This. She made it perfectly clear that she was willing to destroy the city for what she believed the future would hold. Right or wrong, she has been clear about this. That's why I posted pages ago that I believe Dany came to the conclusion that in order to truly break the wheel, Kings Landing would have to be devastated. To start anew. Well that and she is super pissed off but it works hand in hand, I hope
Urban Ag
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

bobinator said:

This post episode rationalizing is the whole problem with the writing. We shouldn't need the people that wrote the show to explain to us what just happened.
I'm pretty sure they're doing that as a service to the fans and to help out the dullards who can't figure it out on their own.
Again, this. It's almost like HBO needs to email out a powerpoint ahead of each episode.
tk for tu juan
The Kingfish
AG
My theory:

There will be not be a definitive ending. Remember Tyrion told Varys paraphrasing that these past 20 years of fighting were caused by someone who did not love someone back (Robert & Jon Snow's mom}. Now it is Dany loving Jon Snow, who doesn't love her back. Dany kills Jon Snow and series ends with Danny's army marching on Winterfell.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
The Kingfish said:

My theory:

There will be not be a definitive ending. Remember Tyrion told Varys paraphrasing that these past 20 years of fighting were caused by someone who did not love someone back (Robert & Jon Snow's mom}. Now it is Dany loving Jon Snow, who doesn't love her back. Dany kills Jon Snow and series ends with Danny's army marching on Winterfell.

There's no time for a definitive ending. There should be an entire season after that last episode between Jon and Dany.

HBO is ******ed for trying to wrap this thing up in 13 episodes when it could have been 5 more seasons. I wonder how many millions of people are cancelling HBO next Monday?

Personally I won't. I going to wait a couple more weeks until Chernobyl is over.
Eliminatus
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Excellent video.

And really goes to show the downfall of one of the most complex characters I have ever seen or read in my entire life. I used to joke in season 6 that Jaime changed how I looked at myself. How a literal sister ****er who killed kids became one of my most favorite characters of all time. The dynamic range of Jaime Lannister and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, the man who played him, is a testament to the greatness that made Game of Thrones, Game of Thrones.

Really, really, REALLY needed at least one more season.....
gigemJTH12
AG
The Kingfish said:

My theory:

Zero chance of this. No way the ultimate baby burning villain comes out on top at this point.
gigemJTH12
AG
As much as I'm torn about a Dany going as mad as she did, and as low as my expectations are for this Sunday, I really cannot wait to see that first interaction between a Dany and Jon/Tyrion/Arya. Will dany have any remorse? I doubt it. But I can't wait to see that first interaction between them all.
Bunk Moreland
gigemJTH12 said:

As much as I'm torn about a Dany going as mad as she did, and as low as my expectations are for this Sunday, I really cannot wait to see that first interaction between a Dany and Jon/Tyrion/Arya. Will dany have any remorse? I doubt it. But I can't wait to see that first interaction between them all.

D&D will tease it but have the conversation off camera like when Sansa broke her secret and when Jon/Bran told Arya/Sansa about his secret.

Then we'll be told on here that interaction wasn't very important and we all know what would have happened during it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Cleganeboat
JABQ04
AG
Same thing here. The Chernobyl series got me interested
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pretty good post I saw on reddit.
Quote:

Two reasons explaining why Dany's transition has GRRM all over it

These aren't the only two, there are many, but I'm just making sure these are thrown in to the mix.

The first one I'm sure many people have noticed is the way GRRM enjoys writing who characters who are both good and bad characters simultaneously. I remember hearing GRRM criticize Lord of the Rings by pointing out that the good guys are so superhero like and bad guys are all ugly monsters. GRRM doesn't do this, it's part of his genius understanding of the human heart. First you hated Jaime, then he's not such a bad guy. Sansa was innocent, then she has this touch of darkness and maybe evil. Cersei even had a very human side in her love for her kids. The hound was bad, then became somewhat redeemed when he met up with Beric and those guys, but unfortunately he still clung to his thirst for revenge. The idea that people are both good and bad simultaneously is all through the series, and he is constantly playing with our assessments and judgments of the characters, so it's not surprising that the final crescendo includes this element.

I'm sure people have noticed this this second one, but I don't think I've seen it mentioned. It's the way that GRRM plays with the human need for revenge and justice. I've noticed 2 times (one just in the book) where there was the following pattern: he gets the reader to really hate one particular character, such as Theon. As you read, your sense of justice demands to see this guy get punished, and GRRM obviously knows that, but he gives you a bit of a mixed package. So Theon gets captured, and as you read/watch, that part of you that demands justice says "yes! finally! take that!" BUT.... it keeps on going and going, until you say "ok I think he's learned his lesson, maybe ease off a bit" but it doesn't stop. His punishment just doesn't end (much worse in the books).

One other time this happens in the books I've noticed is Vargo Hoat, the guy who cuts off Jaime's hand. He gets probably the most gruesome death in the series, and what's interesting here is Jaime himself says something to the effect of how the sweetness of revenge was kind of spoiled by how excessive it was.

Danys transition includes this. You want more than anything in the universe for Cersei to be punished. And so she is, and you go 'yeah!' but again, it doesn't stop. it keeps going and going until you say "enough, I think they've learned their lesson" but it just keeps going.

It would have been great if her transition wasn't so rushed, but IMO it has GRRM all over it.
gigemJTH12
AG
Also, on a much more shallow and obvious level, no way Benioff and Weiss make that call to turn her mad without GRRM telling them too. Because no way the books stray THAT far from the show. GRRM almost assuredly gave them the input that Dany goes full mad, if nothing else.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I made a very similar post earlier this week. It's straight from GRRM. I get complaints for the turn feeling rushed, though.
powerbelly
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Also, on a much more shallow and obvious level, no way Benioff and Weiss make that call to turn her mad without GRRM telling them too. Because no way the books stray THAT far from the show. GRRM almost assuredly gave them the input that Dany goes full mad, if nothing else.

I think we are all fine with the turn, it is the rush that kills it.
gigemJTH12
AG
Definitely rushed and that much is nearly undeniable.
Liquid Wrench
I didn't think there was ever any doubt that GRRM gave them the big bullet points outline. I would imagine he'd lead into it with something more significant than Dany being mad that her boyfriend didn't kiss her right and the fat kid was talking about her. None of that led into "forget everything she said and chase down and scorch women and children running in fear."
jenn96
AG
powerbelly said:

gigemJTH12 said:

I think we are all fine with the turn, it is the rush that kills it.

Yeah say one thing about GRRM, he doesn't rush things.
M.C. Swag
AG
Yea there's no doubt that was the intended destination. I'm just not giving them credit for posting all the road signs.
wangus12
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

I'm definitely interested in that first interaction. I expect her to be pretty much full MQ and have no remorse, but it would be an interesting twist if she snaps out of her blood rage and realizes what she has done. Granted that would probably truly break her mentally if she feels remorse for the thousands she killed. Leaves Jon & Tyrion to try and pick up the pieces.
jenn96
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

gigemJTH12 said:

D&D will tease it but have the conversation off camera like when Sansa broke her secret and when Jon/Bran told Arya/Sansa about his secret.

Then we'll be told on here that interaction wasn't very important and we all know what would have happened during it.

I'm actually expecting this. The directors aren't even trying at this point, they're hitting their plot targets and moving on. 80 minutes! This is going to be like an Honest Trailers video.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Maybe Dany commits suicide. Spares Jon the pain of having to do it himself.
Dro07
AG
One of my favorite characters. Should have remembered to not have a favorite...
M.C. Swag
AG
Things they have to convey in 80 min:

- Show the fallout from the previous episode

- Dany has to fall in some satisfying (non contrived) way - I'm sure it'll be a ninja jump from Arya

- Survivors travel back to WF to report on events

- Conclude story with glimpse of future Westeros

^All of that is what they HAVE to do. There's all kinds of smaller nuanced stuff I'd still want to see (ANY explanation on what Bran is, does, or will do. Tyrion's reaction to being the worst advisor ever. Some closure on Yara about her brothers death. What has Ellaria been up to? Is Edmure still around? Etc)

We can all argue about the merits of the season as whole so far but I don't see how they can squeeze all the required beats into 80 min in a way that feels organic or satisfactory. The decision by D&D to microwave the most important conclusion in literary and televised history is an abomination.
Counterpoint
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

The first one I'm sure many people have noticed is the way GRRM enjoys writing who characters who are both good and bad characters simultaneously. I remember hearing GRRM criticize Lord of the Rings by pointing out that the good guys are so superhero like and bad guys are all ugly monsters. GRRM doesn't do this, it's part of his genius understanding of the human heart. First you hated Jaime, then he's not such a bad guy. Sansa was innocent, then she has this touch of darkness and maybe evil. Cersei even had a very human side in her love for her kids. The hound was bad, then became somewhat redeemed when he met up with Beric and those guys, but unfortunately he still clung to his thirst for revenge. The idea that people are both good and bad simultaneously is all through the series, and he is constantly playing with our assessments and judgments of the characters, so it's not surprising that the final crescendo includes this element.

DISCLAIMER: Does not apply to Joffrey and Ramsey.
First Page Last Page
Page 359 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.