****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,375 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
TheCougarHunter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Soooooo the green explosions when Drogon was torching KL... did Cersei have the city rigged with wildfire?
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

This season isn't getting a good reception anywhere, not just this forum.
Episode 5 was the worst reviewed episode of the series, knocking Episode 8.4 out of that place. And no one on this board had anything to do with that.
BowSowy
AG
Batzarro said:

hated episode 5, will not watch finale. I know what they're going to do to Khaleesi and it's terrible character assassination. To quote someone from reddit/freefolk, now whenever I walk by a dumpster fire I can say "oh look, bittersweet."
I get not liking the way the series has concluded, but I can't imagine investing all this time and deciding to stop right before the last episode.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

well.... they did it again. At least he isn't holding a coffee cup

I'm hearing now this may have been from the Behind the Scenes and not from the actual show.

but not sure now if they have just fixed it in the streaming versions.

I'll have to check my DVR.

Cappo
AG
BowSowy said:

Batzarro said:

hated episode 5, will not watch finale. I know what they're going to do to Khaleesi and it's terrible character assassination. To quote someone from reddit/freefolk, now whenever I walk by a dumpster fire I can say "oh look, bittersweet."
I get not liking the way the series has concluded, but I can't imagine investing all this time and deciding to stop right before the last episode.
Yeah that's ****ing stupid as hell - they are all talk and will be watching come Sunday night
AgLiving06
TheCougarHunter said:

Soooooo the green explosions when Drogon was torching KL... did Cersei have the city rigged with wildfire?

Dany's father hid wildfire throughout the city.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

Quote:

Episode 5 was the worst reviewed episode of the series, knocking Episode 8.4 out of that place. And no one on this board had anything to do with that.

where?

On IMDB

Ep 4 = 6.2
Ep 5 = 6.9

roughly same number of votes
powerbelly
AG
Did we ever get an explanation as to why dragon fire suddenly became more powerful this episode?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jenn96 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Blackwater

Actually I disagree. Blackwater was a massive battle and spectacle but it was an aberration back then when most of the show was intrigue and dialogue. It seemed like after the Battle of the Bustards was when the show veered more towards huge set pieces rather than characters.
I'm not sure of the question, then. When did I see it as a blockbuster series? Or when did the series become focused on setpieces?

I saw it as a blockbuster series starting with Blackwater. From that point forward, the budget grew and grew each season, and a big setpiece per season was somewhat expected on my part. (S3 didn't have one, but nobody really noticed because the Red Wedding was such a massive moment. No complaints there.)
agsquirrel97
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

I'm coming around to loving this episode more and more.
Tyrion tells Dany that maybe they should monitor Varys social media accounts, she decides they should deplatform him completely.

I have aligned with Ozzy's reviews all season, he is crushing it.
In absentia lucis, Tenebrae vin****.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
powerbelly said:

Did we ever get an explanation as to why dragon fire suddenly became more powerful this episode?

Drogon was more angry - about Rhaegal.
Eliminatus
AG
bangobango said:

NC2001 said:

I think my co-worker said it best when folks at work kept complaining about season 8.

"If you don't like it, go read some fanfiction."

With the exception of Dany's turn this season has been almost nothing but fan fiction.

Clegane bowl is the very definition of fan fiction.

Clegane bowl has been set up since like halfway through season one. Before the show got big at all. Not the very definition of fan fiction. At all.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
"Qyburn delivers the halftime stats to Cersei."
ja86
AG
TheCougarHunter said:

Aerys Targaryen had hidden wildfire through out the city during Roberts Rebellion to destroy the city before he went down. Jamie kills him before he can blow up all the wildfire. There have been hidden caches of wildfire all over the city since then.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Meanwhile in Winterfell

agsquirrel97
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

"Qyburn delivers the halftime stats to Cersei."
Cersei arrives, she's got a corporate box with a sweet view of the action.
In absentia lucis, Tenebrae vin****.
Furlock Bones
AG
NC2001 said:

I think my co-worker said it best when folks at work kept complaining about season 8.

that's not saying anything well much less best.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
agsquirrel97 said:

Teddy Perkins said:

I'm coming around to loving this episode more and more.
Tyrion tells Dany that maybe they should monitor Varys social media accounts, she decides they should deplatform him completely.

I have aligned with Ozzy's reviews all season, he is crushing it.

He's killing me.... all the sport references Cersei's sky box, cheap seats, Jamie, halftime stats, etc.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just want to point out that this is the last week of proper theorizing and discussion we'll ever have.

Enjoy it while you can, folks. Only 5 days of it left.
Liquid Wrench
Rotten Tomatoes critics review aggregator.

https://hypebeast.com/2019/5/game-of-thrones-season-8-episodes-4-and-5-worst-rated-viewings
The Collective
AG
Then it's on to just beetching about it.
jackie childs
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Just want to point out that this is the last week of proper theorizing and discussion we'll ever have.

yep, then we enter The Long Night where everybody just *****es and complains about how they should have done it
Furlock Bones
AG
jackie childs said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

yep, then we enter The Long Night where everybody just *****es and complains about how they should have done it
this board will prepare hard for the coming end of G0T and the discussions that may never end. but, then a show will sneak passed us and land a stunning blow. and that show my friends...

Rugrats: The next generation
bangobango
AG
Eliminatus said:

bangobango said:

NC2001 said:

With the exception of Dany's turn this season has been almost nothing but fan fiction.

Clegane bowl has been set up since like halfway through season one. Before the show got big at all. Not the very definition of fan fiction. At all.
They set-up that he hated his brother and wanted to kill him, and why he wanted to kill him.

They didn't set-up why he would leave Winterfell and travel all the way to Kings Landing just to fight him in a suicide mission with the entire Red Keep crumbling down around him.

The fact that the two hate each other enough to fight isn't what makes it fan fiction, it's everything that was done to put them in a face off with the keep crumbling around them that was just completely made-up.

At any time during the season The Hound could have sought out The Mountain and challenged him to a fight to the death. Why now, when his character is as sane and at peace as he has been in the entire eight seasons?

Just seemed completely contrived to me. If it worked for you, that's great.
TheDraw
AG

SIMPSONS DID IT!

That photo was from an episode in 2017!
Dumpster Fire
bangobango said:

Eliminatus said:

bangobango said:

NC2001 said:

They set-up that he hated his brother and wanted to kill him, and why he wanted to kill him.

They didn't set-up why he would leave Winterfell and travel all the way to Kings Landing just to fight him in a suicide mission with the entire Red Keep crumbling down around him.

The fact that the two hate each other enough to fight isn't what makes it fan fiction, it's everything that was done to put them in a face off with the keep crumbling around them that was just completely made-up.

At any time during the season The Hound could have sought out The Mountain and challenged him to a fight to the death. Why now, when his character is as sane and at peace as he has been in the entire eight seasons?

Maybe that is the exact reason why. He knew it'd be a fight to the death and wasn't ready to die yet. Wasn't at peace with who he was and what road he had travelled. But now, he was at peace and knew his final act.
wangus12
AG
Gap
AG
So "The Bells" is the worst-reviewed show in GoT history at 44% positive - a full 10% lower than the 2nd worst episode. Can we get a do-over that is the quality we expected given the investment the writer and show-runners put into the series before the last two seasons.

Quote:

According to recent reviews, Sunday night's penultimate episode titled "The Bells" is currently the worst-reviewed in the show's entire history, even falling behind season 5's "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken," (54%) which included Sansa's brutal rape scene.

At the time of writing, "The Bells" has a score of 44% on Rotten Tomatoes' review aggregatorwith a critics' consensus that states, "too much plot in too little time muddles the story and may leave some viewers and maybe Cersei feeling its conclusions are a little unearned." It's even been noted that there has been a one-way decline in ratings since the beginning of season 8. The season's fourth episode "The Last of the Starks" also brought in less than ideal ratings with a score of 57%.

Fans have also taken to social media to express their displeasure with the show's current run, even citing showrunners David Benioff and DB Weiss have "ruined" the characters of Daenerys Targaryen and Jaime Lannister with last night's plot developments and trying to rush the show's conclusion.
AustinAg2K
BowSowy said:

Batzarro said:

I will probably only watch the last episode because it's the last episode. If there was another season, I would probably be out at this point. That said, I'm probably not going to change any plans just to make sure I'm there for the finale. If I'm home, I'll watch it, if not, I'll catch it some time later in the week. I really don't care how it ends anymore.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
bangobango said:

Eliminatus said:

bangobango said:

NC2001 said:

Weird statement.

He was in the north for the big battle there - cuz he was committed to that. I don't know an opportunity he had before that unless you wanted him to just throw down at the meeting at the KL dragon pit last season. I suppose they could have done it then but again he was committed to helping them with the looming battle in the north.

So now that battle ends and.....you don't know why he would then leave Winterfell to travel to KL. Because the end game is now afoot he knows all the armies are going there and he wants his chance before all that goes down. Turns out he is more or less too late but he is able to infiltrate and find him in the Red Keep. So he fights him then. It's not that complicated really.

Did you want him to wait until after this battle - he might not have lived anyway.

And it wasn't a suicide mission - until he figured out that he couldn't kill him any other way.

So your problem is when it happened and where... Why did it need to be earlier, why did it need to be a different setting?

bangobango
AG
Dumpster Fire said:

bangobango said:

Eliminatus said:

bangobango said:

NC2001 said:

Maybe that is the exact reason why. He knew it'd be a fight to the death and wasn't ready to die yet. Wasn't at peace with who he was and what rode he had travelled. But now, he was at peace and knew his final act.
Then maybe do something to explain that in the show? Don't leave us all to guess at his motivations.

Remember when Oberyn fought the Mountain?

The Mountain raped and murdered Orberyn's sister and his nieces and nephews. Oberyn had a life long grudge against the Mountain. Oberyn wanted to kill the Mountain.

And Oberyn saw an opportunity to fight the Mountain to the death when Tyrion went on trial and needed a champion.

That was pretty cool. That happened organically and was well written. All character motivations made sense.

Contrast that with The Hound leaving Winterfell (where he could have stayed and served Sansa) and traveling all the way down to King Landing and then just lucking into crossing paths with the Mountain by himself during a huge battle.
AustinAg2K
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Social Media Influencer said:

Quote:

where?

On IMDB

Ep 4 = 6.2
Ep 5 = 6.9

roughly same number of votes
Not sure it really matters. 6.9 would make it the second lowest rated episode, and way below the typical 9 most episodes earn.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
bangobango said:

Dumpster Fire said:

bangobango said:

Eliminatus said:

bangobango said:

NC2001 said:

Maybe that is the exact reason why. He knew it'd be a fight to the death and wasn't ready to die yet. Wasn't at peace with who he was and what rode he had travelled. But now, he was at peace and knew his final act.
Then maybe do something to explain that in the show? Don't leave us all to guess at his motivations.

The Mountain raped and murdered Orberyn's sister and his nieces and nephews. Oberyn had a life long grudge against the Mountain. Oberyn wanted to kill the Mountain.

And Oberyn saw an opportunity to fight the Mountain to the death when Tyrion went on trial and needed a champion.

That was pretty cool. That happened organically and was well written. All character motivations made sense.

Contrast that with The Hound leaving King Landing (where he could have stayed and served Sansa) and traveling all the way down to King Landing and then just lucking into crossing paths with the Mountain by himself during a huge battle.

What??? That's insanity.... it's been set up his entire existence on the show and repeatedly that he hates his brother and wants to kill him. And in the end you want him to kick back and retire in the North instead??? WTF????

He went alone to seek him out and infiltrated only because he was alone and not an invading army. He sought him ought and found him. Lucky that he found him??... in the Red Keep where he knew he would be guarding Cersei.

And yeah preferably before but it ended up during the battle. He wasn't trying to be in the middle of a battle it ended up that way. you might criticize that as intentionally dramatic - but it was awesome. But questioning why he went to kill his brother at that point...seriously?????

Icecream_Ag
S
bangobango said:

Dumpster Fire said:

bangobango said:

Eliminatus said:

bangobango said:

NC2001 said:

Contrast that with The Hound leaving King Landing (where he could have stayed and served Sansa) and traveling all the way down to King Landing and then just lucking into crossing paths with the Mountain by himself during a huge battle.
OK you either didn't watch the show or didn't play attention to anything related to the Hound.
bobinator
AG
I think this is why the handling of Dany (in my opinion) angers me so much is that there are some characters whose arcs have been really good and they take these small steps throughout the series.

I think the Hound is a good example. He's basically spent the last several seasons trying to die, and doesn't. He's gone beyond the wall and fought the dead, survived several battles, and then after surviving the Battle of Winterfell, where he was certain he was going to die, he basically knows that he's not going to have any kind of peace until he fights his brother.

He knows it's probably going to kill him, and he's ready for that at this point.
First Page Last Page
Page 351 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.