****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,551 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Dro07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It would feed the kingdom for years to come
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

I want to talk next week so bad but I don't think anyone else does yet.

My biggest question...if they do find a way to kill Dang...wtf do you do with the dragon?
My theory regarding Drogon is Jon would fly him beyond the Wall and live out his days with the freefolk.
Trident 88
AG
If they want to make Bran the truly significant part of this story that he should be, he has to reappear in the final episode and warg into Drogon to stop Dany.

However, it really won't surprise me if we don't even see Bran again.
wangus12
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

gigemJTH12 said:

My biggest question...if they do find a way to kill Dang...wtf do you do with the dragon?
My theory regarding Drogon is Jon would fly him beyond the Wall and live out his days with the freefolk.
With Ghost as well!
Robert C. Christian
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Dany made the comment about them not being able to eat enough in the north right before the waterfall scene. I like it but, might be hard to keep Drogon alive.
gigemJTH12
AG
Another question and SIAP...did anyone else think for a split second Grey Worm was about to turn around and engage Jon in combat?

Or think that Tyrion was going to be down there and kill Cersei in front of Jamie? I was hoping so, bc he sent them there.
Furlock Bones
AG
i actually didn't hate this episode.
M.C. Swag
AG
GRRM officially and clearly refuted the rumor about him already having the books finished and sitting on them. He said he hasn't even started on book 7 yet (as book 6 is still incomplete).

Source: http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2019/05/13/idiocy-on-the-internet/
Agnzona
Trident 88 said:

If they want to make Bran the truly significant part of this story that he should be, he has to reappear in the final episode and warg into Drogon to stop Dany.

However, it really won't surprise me if we don't even see Bran again.

Me either. But wow how he went from the key to everything to a non factor in the overall story is still the must confusing thing.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
Bregxit
AG
M.C. Swag said:

GRRM officially and clearly refuted the rumor about him already having the books finished and sitting on them. He said he hasn't even started on book 7 yet (as book 6 is still incomplete).

Sad again
ChipFTAC01
AG
aTmAg said:

Champ Bailey said:

aTmAg said:

Champ Bailey said:

aTmAg said:

Champ Bailey said:

aTmAg said:

Champ Bailey said:

bobinator said:

This 'rule by fear' thing is the lazy bit.

She could have ruled by fear by simply melting the red keep for everyone to see. Or taking the city and then killing everyone wearing Lannister armor.

But instead she goes all the way to 'I need to kill everyone in this city' which again to me is just lazy. They laid such complicated groundwork for this character, and then at the end she goes completely off the deep end for no particular reason.

No particular reason? The reasonings are 8 seasons in the making.
No they aren't.

These people have benefitted off the power her ancestors amassed centuries ago after they betrayed them. They murdered her entire family and have tried to kill her since the moment she left Westeros using this power that was stolen from her. She lost all her friends along the way, had sacrificed two of her "children," for this cause, and right at the end it turns out that even her central belief that it was her destiny by right to take the throne was a lie due to Jon.
Please. They? The civilians didn't murder her entire family. They didn't kill all her friends and her "children". They didn't make her brother bang Jon's mom. None of this comes close to explain why she'd burn a million civilians after the battle is won.

GRRM may have better explained it (in books or his mind), but the show sure as hell didn't.

She talks about it at Winterfell when she sees Jon getting all the love for riding her dragons. She feels ostracized and separated from the people, even though they would have all died without her. And they don't giver her any credit for it.
And so she kills a million civilians, that had nothing to do with any of that, after the battle is won?

Yes. She explains it to Jon. She people to be obedient to her out of love. After Jon denied her advances, she chose fear. Destroying the red keep gets rid of Cersei, but it doesn't stop revolts happening by troops and houses still loyal to her.

Her burning Utica to the ground ensures that everyone is afraid of her and what she can and will do. Similar to the Tarly's, but on a much bigger scale.
Pffft. Up until now, Dany has been pretty smart (way smarter than Jon Snow). You don't waste a million people because they "might" rebel. You take out Cersei, her army, her castle, etc. And THEN if the civilians start a revolt you roast them. If you can wipe out armies in 20 minutes, you can easily wipe out civilians if the need arises.

Tell that to Harry Truman. Some times you need a little shock and awe.
wangus12
AG
dlance said:

M.C. Swag said:

Sad again
Eliminatus
AG
M.C. Swag said:

So now I will go back to just believing that he will die before he finishes.

The dude works SO slow....I get that you can't rush art and masterpieces and yada yada....but there are still some expectations. Even other writers have given him **** for it.

Especially since he has no problem working on some many other projects. He says he would be delighted if they were finished...well, dude. ****ing finish them already!!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
tv1113 said:

Urban Ag said:

CapCityAg89 said:

Interesting we were posting very similar thoughts at the exact same time.
It seems all the complainers just want it wrapped up however they planned it out to be wrapped up. I am so happy that I have been at least 50% wrong on how it would end.

Flawless? hell no.

Entertaining and intriguing as F? Yep.

Sad to see it will be over soon.

I keep seeing this argument that we hated it because we wanted it to be a certain way. I had no preconceived notions about what was going to happen and I wasn't an avid book reader that was fully into the prophecies and trying to interpret the hints in the books.

It just flat out didn't make sense.

Do I believe she is capable of destruction? Yes, but not like that.

Here is a simple fix that I would have found to be so much more believable:

- Cersei packs the red keep full of innocent people to put between her and Daenerys
- Cersei won't stand down and surrender the red keep, in her last bold move instead of crying in a basement she is going to make Daenarys become the villain in order to destroy her she will have to level the red keep and destroy thousands.

Will Daenarys still be the villain? Yes. Would it be believable that she would sacrifice thousands as collateral damage for her hatred of Cersei? Yes.

Her random rampage and killing spree had no motive, no reasoning, and was just flat out terrible writing.

Even Cersei who is one of the most evil and sadistic characters never did something on this level. She killed thousands of innocents but it was always as collateral damage in order to achieve a goal. There was motivation, there was reasoning.

They never set up Daenarys to be this fragile borderline mentally unstable person, it happened with very little background. She is merciless to her enemies and I would expect her to slaughter innocents who get in the way but not just nuke the entire city in a mad craze.

So many simple more believable alternatives could have existed for her to go on a rampage. This was just lazy as hell writing.

We get it. We've read this and other versions many times here already.

Could it be made better - so that even the detractors loved it - sure. But we didn't need it so you can't convince us it HAD to be that way - we bought the turn and felt the motivation for it and the building to it was all there already.

I've rarely seen any TV show that was perfect or certainly very few that ended perfectly - particularly long form arc shows. Heck I'm a detractor of certain things in both BB and Sopranos and yet they are my favorite shows of all time. GOT has always been top 5 and that hasn't changed. The Wire had a terrible final season (by comparison to S1-4) except the finale pretty much redeemed it. LOST was well....lost along the way at times and left so many loose ends out there.

And I'm not saying you guys are just expecting perfection - but the reality is it is impossible to please millions and millions of fans on a super popular show with so many expectations. Detractors are inevitable.

We aren't going to convince you either - it is what it is.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Updated poll - I've now added or moved only people who make specific statements to that effect.

Loved it - 64
Hated it - 19
Neutral/Middle - 34

V8Aggie
AG
bobinator said:

I don't mind so much what they've done with Tyrion. He continually suggests paths that seem 'right,' and then he's wrong for various reasons.

He's like the oppo-Littlefinger. He continually underestimates how extreme people will be and tends to assume everyone else will think logically.

His suggestions always have perfectly well thought out logic, and because of that they often end up wrong.
I can identify with Tyrion... it's like me expecting my wife to act logically. Gets me every time.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
well.... they did it again. At least he isn't holding a coffee cup

Batzarro
AG
hated episode 5, will not watch finale. I know what they're going to do to Khaleesi and it's terrible character assassination. To quote someone from reddit/freefolk, now whenever I walk by a dumpster fire I can say "oh look, bittersweet."
aggietony2010
AG

I waited 10 years for Cersei to die to construction?!
bobinator
AG
I think for a lot of people this comes down to why you like this show. Not necessarily saying this is the case for everyone because this is obviously anecdotal.

But the friends of mine that hated it are the ones that like discussing the 'shades of grey' of whether characters are good/evil/etc.

So I think for us, I'm including myself in this group, the fact that her final step seem so extreme after all of the ones leading up to it were so subtle just rings a little hollow. She took seven seasons of little steps towards (perhaps) becoming a tyrant, but had never actually crossed the line. Her punishments were extreme, but those people still had to be punished, but she didn't kill any truly innocent people.

So at the end you have this chance for a really tragic moment where she finally takes that one step too far, and it would have been great to see the character make that fateful decision (and then another and another as they descend into madness.) But instead it wasn't one step, she went full Leroy Jenkins on genocide.

But, I have other friends that are usually just more into the action and the plot stuff. They don't really care about the characters in the same way as much as they care about how they serve the plot. They're mostly like 'it was inevitable anyway, so how it happened doesn't concern me much' that loved it. For a Star Wars reference, they weren't there for Anakin's whiny crap, they were ready to see Darth Vader wreck some stuff.

Which I kind of get also. Obviously those are some broad strokes just from my friend group, but thought it was interesting.
CFTXAG10
AG
Batzarro said:

hated episode 5, will not watch finale. I know what they're going to do to Khaleesi and it's terrible character assassination. To quote someone from reddit/freefolk, now whenever I walk by a dumpster fire I can say "oh look, bittersweet."
Yes you will
pete_claw98
AG
ZJS - I don't even get mentioned?? Ok. I liked it well enough. Based on previous seasons/episodes, they could have done better. I've said this before, but they could have changed a few minor things and eliminated 60% or more of the negative feelings but still done what they wanted.

Reading these posts, it is obvious that the time between episodes helps people feel like it is not rushed. So, take the exact same screen time and make this a 10 episode season, and most people wouldn't think it was rushed.

It didn't feel rushed that all of the bodies and funeral fires were ready so quickly? That would have taken days to organize. And then a feast after??? Between episodes it makes sense.

If they would have ended the episode with Danny's armies getting prepared for the battle........we would have thought she wasn't eating for weeks........that adds to her being crazy.

Storyline isn't the problem, it's good. It's allowimg the audience to digest and make transitions that is missing this season. The run time is the same. 10 episodes would have helped with the same runtime.

Overall - liked

gigemJTH12
AG
Batzarro said:

hated episode 5, will not watch finale.

And Walder Frey puts on one hell of a wedding reception
Robert C. Christian
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Just adds to the theory that I agree with, GRRM has no pages.

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/grrm-has-no-pages-1750057530
Dad
AG
pete_claw98 said:

ZJS - I don't even get mentioned?? Ok. I liked it well enough. Based on previous seasons/episodes, they could have done better. I've said this before, but they could have changed a few minor things and eliminated 60% or more of the negative feelings but still done what they wanted.

Reading these posts, it is obvious that the time between episodes helps people feel like it is not rushed. So, take the exact same screen time and make this a 10 episode season, and most people wouldn't think it was rushed.

It didn't feel rushed that all of the bodies and funeral fires were ready so quickly? That would have taken days to organize. And then a feast after??? Between episodes it makes sense.

If they would have ended the episode with Danny's armies getting prepared for the battle........we would have thought she wasn't eating for weeks........that adds to her being crazy.

Storyline isn't the problem, it's good. It's allowimg the audience to digest and make transitions that is missing this season. The run time is the same. 10 episodes would have helped with the same runtime.

Overall - liked

10 episodes would have been much better. Add time for some of the dialogue that made the show amazing in the first place instead of focusing on blowing us away with battle scenes only. The battle scene stuff was awesome but I don't get why all the focus was put on that and we don't even see Jon tell Arya and Sansa about his parents.
bangobango
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

tv1113 said:

Urban Ag said:

CapCityAg89 said:

Interesting we were posting very similar thoughts at the exact same time.
It seems all the complainers just want it wrapped up however they planned it out to be wrapped up. I am so happy that I have been at least 50% wrong on how it would end.

Flawless? hell no.

Entertaining and intriguing as F? Yep.

Sad to see it will be over soon.

I keep seeing this argument that we hated it because we wanted it to be a certain way. I had no preconceived notions about what was going to happen and I wasn't an avid book reader that was fully into the prophecies and trying to interpret the hints in the books.

It just flat out didn't make sense.

Do I believe she is capable of destruction? Yes, but not like that.

Here is a simple fix that I would have found to be so much more believable:

- Cersei packs the red keep full of innocent people to put between her and Daenerys
- Cersei won't stand down and surrender the red keep, in her last bold move instead of crying in a basement she is going to make Daenarys become the villain in order to destroy her she will have to level the red keep and destroy thousands.

Will Daenarys still be the villain? Yes. Would it be believable that she would sacrifice thousands as collateral damage for her hatred of Cersei? Yes.

Her random rampage and killing spree had no motive, no reasoning, and was just flat out terrible writing.

Even Cersei who is one of the most evil and sadistic characters never did something on this level. She killed thousands of innocents but it was always as collateral damage in order to achieve a goal. There was motivation, there was reasoning.

They never set up Daenarys to be this fragile borderline mentally unstable person, it happened with very little background. She is merciless to her enemies and I would expect her to slaughter innocents who get in the way but not just nuke the entire city in a mad craze.

So many simple more believable alternatives could have existed for her to go on a rampage. This was just lazy as hell writing.

We get it. We've read this and other versions many times here already.

Could it be made better - so that even the detractors loved it - sure. But we didn't need it so you can't convince us it HAD to be that way - we bought the turn and felt the motivation for it and the building to it was all there already.

I've rarely seen any TV show that was perfect or certainly very few that ended perfectly - particularly long form arc shows. Heck I'm a detractor of certain things in both BB and Sopranos and yet they are my favorite shows of all time. GOT has always been top 5 and that hasn't changed. The Wire had a terrible final season (by comparison to S1-4) except the finale pretty much redeemed it. LOST was well....lost along the way at times and left so many loose ends out there.

And I'm not saying you guys are just expecting perfection - but the reality is it is impossible to please millions and millions of fans on a super popular show with so many expectations. Detractors are inevitable.

We aren't going to convince you either - it is what it is.

This season isn't getting a good reception anywhere, not just this forum.

It certainly appears that they dropped the ball this season. They have one and a half hours left to pull off a hail Mary. If they don't manage that, then people will reference this show as an example of dropping the ball while crossing the goal line, similar to how many are discussing the last season of Lost on this thread.

When Lost's final season aired there were a ton of people saying they liked the ending and defending it on this forum, me included. You don't see that much now. Just like TLJ more recently. I fear GOT will be the same way.

Doesn't bother me too much, we still got several great years of tv, and I will continue to hold out hope the books are finished.
powerbelly
AG
M.C. Swag said:

GRRM doesn't know how to land the plane and will never finish.
gigemJTH12
AG
M.C. Swag said:

A man has no pages
BenFiasco14
AG
Eliminatus said:

M.C. Swag said:

So now I will go back to just believing that he will die before he finishes.

The dude works SO slow....I get that you can't rush art and masterpieces and yada yada....but there are still some expectations. Even other writers have given him **** for it.

Especially since he has no problem working on some many other projects. He says he would be delighted if they were finished...well, dude. ****ing finish them already!!
Spoiler alert: GRRM doesn't give two damns about finishing ASOIAF. As has been repeated ad naseum, he himself probably has no clue how to write himself out of the corner he's backed himself into, and I'm sure he's perfectly happy cashing his gigantic checks and traveling around the world promoting his latest Wild Cards turd.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
M.C. Swag
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

M.C. Swag said:

A man has no pages

What do we say to the publishers page quota?

"Not today" - GRRM
NC2001
AG
I think my co-worker said it best when folks at work kept complaining about season 8.

"If you don't like it, go read some fanfiction."

Teddy Perkins
AG

I'm coming around to loving this episode more and more.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
bobinator said:

I think for a lot of people this comes down to why you like this show. Not necessarily saying this is the case for everyone because this is obviously anecdotal.

But the friends of mine that hated it are the ones that like discussing the 'shades of grey' of whether characters are good/evil/etc.

So I think for us, I'm including myself in this group, the fact that her final step seem so extreme after all of the ones leading up to it were so subtle just rings a little hollow. She took seven seasons of little steps towards (perhaps) becoming a tyrant, but had never actually crossed the line. Her punishments were extreme, but those people still had to be punished, but she didn't kill any truly innocent people.

So at the end you have this chance for a really tragic moment where she finally takes that one step too far, and it would have been great to see the character make that fateful decision (and then another and another as they descend into madness.) But instead it wasn't one step, she went full Leroy Jenkins on genocide.

But, I have other friends that are usually just more into the action and the plot stuff. They don't really care about the characters in the same way as much as they care about how they serve the plot. They're mostly like 'it was inevitable anyway, so how it happened doesn't concern me much' that loved it. For a Star Wars reference, they weren't there for Anakin's whiny crap, they were ready to see Darth Vader wreck some stuff.

Which I kind of get also. Obviously those are some broad strokes just from my friend group, but thought it was interesting.

Yeah I think that applies to a lot of people. I tend to be a bit of both at times.

I delve into both action, plot and character at times but my overall interest I suppose is the arc and the end - how does this all play out in the end, who wins if anyone and what does it mean. How we get there is a part of it but not as important I suppose. I tend to enjoy the spectacle of it and analyze after the fact but still looking to the end game (no pun). And my first reaction to each episode usually is how was it made, the cinematography, the vision, the performances, etc.

My initial reaction was ....ohhh people are going to hate this - but not that I hated it. But from that perspective I do "get it".

bangobango
AG
I think Dany's turn should've been handled clearly as heriditary insanity. I think it would've been better to have her hear voices throughout several seasons that the viewer didn't know if it was her going crazy or some kind of God or destiny talking to her, then when the bells toll the voices go crazya ND tell her to burn it all.

That would've fit in more with the insanity of the Targaryens and it would've made the audience very sympathetic to her, because here would be a wonderful person who was clearly overcome by a mental disease, but had so much power that she would be too dangerous to not deal with in some way. Adds more tragic element to the story.
bangobango
AG
NC2001 said:

I think my co-worker said it best when folks at work kept complaining about season 8.

"If you don't like it, go read some fanfiction."

With the exception of Dany's turn this season has been almost nothing but fan fiction.

Clegane bowl is the very definition of fan fiction.
First Page Last Page
Page 350 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.