****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,371 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Sex Panther
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
lmao, this thread
M.C. Swag
AG
It's insane.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
aTmAg said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

Z said:

google it genius

You might want to learn what a joke is... or an emoticon.....

And keep talking about my daughter whackjob. Game's on now. I'll roast your entire ****ing city to the ground - odd though nobody would have called me a homicidal maniac before. I guess that's out of character for me.

So you are saying that your daughter predicted all along that Dany was going to go genocide on a city full of innocents, but you did not?

I'm saying shut the **** up. Clear enough?

Can everyone please flag this *******'s every attack on the last few pages. Staff needs to take the trash out. I don't care if they take me out with him I'll take one for the team.

I'm done.

Flag me for what? Pointing out, like many, that last episode blows? To you that is flag worthy?

Sorry you don't agree with my opinion.

ZERO to do with your opinion. And you should know that.
Old Tom Morris
Mad King
begets
Mad Queen
begets
Mad Thread

If Jon and Dany die, this thread should sit on the Iron Throne
littlebitofhifi
AG
clinker03 said:

I'm curious to know yalls thoughts on this - I read this earlier today and it made sense to me. TCTTS - is this common in the industry?

(What doesn't make sense is why D&D would limit themselves to so few episodes if there were all these "plants" out there that needed to be resolved....but that is a different discussion. )

This is a long twitter thread and I don't have the time to transcribe it all (sorry) so the link is below. Talks about the different approaches to writing a show and how that plays into how we are viewing the last two seasons vs the first 5. (Click on the tweet below to see the whole thread).

This is a great read and makes perfect sense to me. I gave up on the books near the end of #3 and my explanation is always that GRRM is an incredible world builder but good grief he needs an editor. The above thread does a much better job of articulating my sentiments and the "rush to the finish" feel of the show that so many here are feeling.
tk for tu juan
aTmAg said:

It's HOW they made her evil out of nowhere.

"Lots of people talk and few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below, yeah"
MaroonStain
AG
In the past, I never participated in these threads because of the silliness. I did this season because it's the last. Yep, it's silly.
The Dog Lord
AG
aTmAg said:

Champ Bailey said:

aTmAg said:

Champ Bailey said:

aTmAg said:

bobinator said:

Yeah, I mean that's clearly what they've decided they're going for. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

The city has surrendered. If she's that hell bent on instilling fear, accept the surrender, and then kill every single person in the city who fought to defend it.

There are a thousand steps between 'I need to instill fear' and 'I need to kill everyone in this city' and she didn't take any of them.

I just think it's lazy after seven years of all of the tiny steps her character has taken, that in her final act she's reduced to just 'well she's crazy now.'
You don't understand.. she's ALWAYS been crazy. Haven't you been watching all the groundwork they have been laying down in EVERY season to show how crazy she is? If you didn't see that coming, then you weren't paying attention.

(Nevermind, nobody else predicted that ending either.)

This is a ridiculous argument. Nobody saw Frey killing Robb, yet they laid the groundwork for it. Just because it surprised you doesn't mean the signs weren't there.

And the signs have been there.
What ground work was laid where Frey would kill every last member of that family? I don't remember such groundwork being laid.

Frey was shown as this arrogant man who was angry at constantly being looked over until he was needed. He invited the Starks and agreed to side against the Lannister's in exchange for Robb marrying his daughter, assuring a Frey in royalty in the north. Robb decided that love was more important than his honor as king, and Frey was pissed about it. He pretended to be ok with just marrying the daughter to Edmure.
So the point I am making is this: We didn't know enough about Frey to know if he was capable of wiping out the entire Stark family. When he did it, it was shocking, for sure, but it wasn't outside the limited character of Frey that we were exposed to.

Yet we have spent 8 seasons with Dany. She is one of the main characters. We know her well enough to know that he is very unlikely to go on random a civilian killing spree. So if they were going to make her do so, then they needed to show us more on why she would do it. A lot more than "well she's a Targaryen" or "it wasn't enough" (as D&D stated).

Roose Bolton made some comments to Jaime to help lay the groundwork as well. At the time, it seemed like he might just be covering his ass in case Robb ultimately lost, but we later found out he was part of the Red Wedding plot.
The Dog Lord
AG
wangus12 said:

OldShadeOfBlue said:

Social Media Influencer said:

Quote:

She had a change of heart with the hound and went completely back to her stark roots. Empathy for civilians that have nothing to do with Ned's death.
So far, that's the least talked about Big Thing in this episode.

Arya fled KL in hiding after Ned's death and hadn't been back since. She returns just in time to see it burn and crumble, and again narrowly escapes. I assume they gave her the white horse to let her ride out in contrast to the way she had to sneak out last time.
The white horse signifies death. I don't know if that means the death of Arya or her revenge arc, but I believe it was coupled with her seeing the mother and daughter burned to a crisp and she feels justice needs to be served to Dany and she'll be the one to do it.
Just like there is no way Arya kills Cersei, there is no way they have her kill Dany. It has to be Tyrion or Jon.

I'm sure someone has mentioned it already, but I could see Arya trying to kill Dany but getting caught. If she is executed, that could be what causes Jon to go Mad King on her.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
aTmAg said:

Ervin Burrell said:

aTmAg said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

So I read all of those, and there isn't a single instance of her killing civilians for the hell of it like she did yesterday. Retribution is VASTLY different than killing civilians after the battle is over (by the million).

Lincoln executed 38 indians as retribution and lead a civil war that killed more Americans than any other war in history. Yet when the war was over, he didn't kill a million people.

lmao

yep. this is exactly like real world US history.

damn i wish i had watched Lincoln instead. what was i thinking watching a brutal fantasy show i could have watched a docudrama instead.

I never said it was exactly like real world history. But in 100% of the cases I can think of, genocidal maniacs were obviously genocidal maniacs LONG before they actually conducted genocide.
How is one genocidal before committing genocide?
Go read up on Stalin, Hitler, Saddam Hussein, etc. before they genocided people. It was plain as day the type of person they were and what they were capable of.

well.......I'll just take one here. The big one.

the NYT in 1922:

Hitler is just all bluff and political grandstanding:

Quote:

But several reliable, well-informed sources confirmed the idea that Hitler's anti-Semitism was not so genuine or violent as it sounded, and that he was merely using anti-Semitic propaganda as a bait to catch masses of followers and keep them aroused, enthusiastic, and in line for the time when his organization is perfected and sufficiently powerful to be employed effectively for political purposes.

magazines calling him a joke:

Quote:

But the main way that the press defanged Hitler was by portraying him as something of a joke. He was a "nonsensical" screecher of "wild words" whose appearance, according to Newsweek, "suggests Charlie Chaplin." His "countenance is a caricature." He was as "voluble" as he was "insecure," stated Cosmopolitan.

the Washington Post in 1933:

Quote:

When Hitler's party won influence in Parliament, and even after he was made chancellor of Germany in 1933 about a year and a half before seizing dictatorial power many American press outlets judged that he would either be outplayed by more traditional politicians or that he would have to become more moderate. Sure, he had a following, but his followers were "impressionable voters" duped by "radical doctrines and quack remedies," claimed The Washington Post. Now that Hitler actually had to operate within a government the "sober" politicians would "submerge" this movement, according to The New York Times and Christian Science Monitor. A "keen sense of dramatic instinct" was not enough. When it came to time to govern, his lack of "gravity" and "profundity of thought" would be exposed.

Many reporters dismissed early reports of killings and his statements as overblown or that they may have happened but were ending a return to normalcy was seen.

That's even with Mein Kampf out there and his rallying speeches. People don't want to believe people are capable of the worst. There were certainly some who did see it coming like the reporter Mowrer noted in this article below - but many more dismissed it all away.

As another reporter of the time said:
Dorothy Thompson, who judged Hitler a man of "startling insignificance" in 1928, realized her mistake by mid-decade when she, like Mowrer, began raising the alarm. "No people ever recognize their dictator in advance," she reflected in 1935. "He never stands for election on the platform of dictatorship. He always represents himself as the instrument [of] the Incorporated National Will." Applying the lesson to the U.S., she wrote, "When our dictator turns up you can depend on it that he will be one of the boys, and he will stand for everything traditionally American."

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/03/early-warnings-how-american-journalists-reported-the-rise-of-hitler/254146/

PatAg
AG
littlebitofhifi said:

clinker03 said:

I'm curious to know yalls thoughts on this - I read this earlier today and it made sense to me. TCTTS - is this common in the industry?

(What doesn't make sense is why D&D would limit themselves to so few episodes if there were all these "plants" out there that needed to be resolved....but that is a different discussion. )

This is a long twitter thread and I don't have the time to transcribe it all (sorry) so the link is below. Talks about the different approaches to writing a show and how that plays into how we are viewing the last two seasons vs the first 5. (Click on the tweet below to see the whole thread).

This is a great read and makes perfect sense to me. I gave up on the books near the end of #3 and my explanation is always that GRRM is an incredible world builder but good grief he needs an editor. The above thread does a much better job of articulating my sentiments and the "rush to the finish" feel of the show that so many here are feeling.

I had posted this last night but I think to many people were still in full attack mode to give it a read
.I hope they do now. He does a good job of explaining why it feels off for some people, and also takes the time to say the show isn't bad. It's just different from what the show had established over the first 4-5 seasons. No one is wrong for still liking it, and we aren't wrong for not liking it
AustinAg2K
PatAg said:

No one is wrong for still liking it, and we aren't wrong for not liking it
You must be new to the internet.
jboog
AG
bobinator said:

I don't mind so much what they've done with Tyrion. He continually suggests paths that seem 'right,' and then he's wrong for various reasons.

He's like the oppo-Littlefinger. He continually underestimates how extreme people will be and tends to assume everyone else will think logically.

His suggestions always have perfectly well thought out logic, and because of that they often end up wrong.
Yeah I don't disagree with that now, but I feel like that wasn't the guy he was in the first 3 or 4 seasons. My gripe isn't so much just with Season 8 Tyrion as it is the overall arc of his character from where he started.

Season 3 Tyrion would have never dreamed of trusting Cersei or underestimated her ruthlessness. Didn't make sense to me for his character to regress like that over time.
PatAg
AG
AustinAg2K said:

PatAg said:

A little arguing is natural over something you are passionate about.
jboog
AG
Fenrir said:

Michelle Fairley was amazing as Catelyn. Her speech about Jon catching the pox was one of the best acted scenes in the entire show.
Good point, she was great too. I thought the actors that played Tywin Lannister and Olenna Tyrell had really strong performances as well.
cbr
AG
SAtxag16 said:

bobinator said:

I don't mind so much what they've done with Tyrion. He continually suggests paths that seem 'right,' and then he's wrong for various reasons.

He's like the oppo-Littlefinger. He continually underestimates how extreme people will be and tends to assume everyone else will think logically.

His suggestions always have perfectly well thought out logic, and because of that they often end up wrong.
Yeah I don't disagree with that now, but I feel like that wasn't the guy he was in the first 3 or 4 seasons. My gripe isn't so much just with Season 8 Tyrion as it is the overall arc of his character from where he started.

Season 3 Tyrion would have never dreamed of trusting Cersei or underestimated her ruthlessness. Didn't make sense to me for his character to regress like that over time.
Agree tyrion really regressed, mostly out of emotion...

4 was terrible all around. He continued to be stupid in 5

Frankly if jon, varys, and tyrion had any brains at all they could have had a happy ending. Jamie too
wangus12
AG
AustinAg2K said:

PatAg said:

Yep. Everyone is ****ing wrong
Ragoo
AG
SAtxag16 said:

bobinator said:

the character "arc" is probably the most annoying term used.

How much time has passed in the story. Since season 3 how has Tyrion's life changed? His life has led him to understand the end before it has happened and his knowledge brings empathy. His "arc" is different because he is a different person. Hell he admitted to not sleeping with a woman for several years.
ac04
aTmAg said:

Ervin Burrell said:

aTmAg said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

So I read all of those, and there isn't a single instance of her killing civilians for the hell of it like she did yesterday. Retribution is VASTLY different than killing civilians after the battle is over (by the million).

Lincoln executed 38 indians as retribution and lead a civil war that killed more Americans than any other war in history. Yet when the war was over, he didn't kill a million people.

lmao

yep. this is exactly like real world US history.

damn i wish i had watched Lincoln instead. what was i thinking watching a brutal fantasy show i could have watched a docudrama instead.

I never said it was exactly like real world history. But in 100% of the cases I can think of, genocidal maniacs were obviously genocidal maniacs LONG before they actually conducted genocide.
How is one genocidal before committing genocide?
Go read up on Stalin, Hitler, Saddam Hussein, etc. before they genocided people. It was plain as day the type of person they were and what they were capable of.

omg, please just stfu. you've posted on this thread 80+ times since the episode ended. we understand your position. give us all a brief break from this absurd onslaught.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Can everyone please flag this *******'s every attack on the last few pages. Staff needs to take the trash out.
How often do you play this card?

You're getting to be a pretty obnoxious, over the top presence on this board yourself.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Love Ramin Djwadi, but this is awesome

https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/bo6gqw/spoilers_i_am_amazed_how_well_that_fits/
AustinAg2K
bobinator said:

His suggestions are logical, the problem I have with is character is he is now trusting everyone to also make ration decisions. He basically advises Jon in the very first episode of the series that people are a-holes, and to not forget that. Tyrion has forgotten that.
Duncan Idaho
Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

Z said:

google it genius

You might want to learn what a joke is... or an emoticon.....

And keep talking about my daughter whackjob. Game's on now. I'll roast your entire ****ing city to the ground - odd though nobody would have called me a homicidal maniac before. I guess that's out of character for me.

So you are saying that your daughter predicted all along that Dany was going to go genocide on a city full of innocents, but you did not?

I'm saying shut the **** up. Clear enough?

Can everyone please flag this *******'s every attack on the last few pages. Staff needs to take the trash out. I don't care if they take me out with him I'll take one for the team.

I'm done.

So triggered.

Ragoo
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

cbr said:

daggertx said:

This show is becoming the Last Jedi bad....
No way, even 4 was nowhere near that bad.

I just am of the opinion that anyone hating her burning everything is just failing to understamd the entire point of the whole show.
At least for me personally, I'm upset about WHY she did it, not that she actually did it. do not think that they did a good job establishing her going down this path. Yes, they beat us over the head with her losing her inner circle (Jorah, Missandei, Jon telling Sansa, etc.) but I don't feel like that is the type of subtle, slow build that we have come to know from Game of Thrones. The writing is not as tightly packed and subtle as it once was.

Being upset with how it went down doesn't mean that you misunderstand the entire point of the series.
why do you think she did it? I personally believe she never once intended on taking Kong's landing in one piece. I don't think she is mad either. I think she understands that she needed to completely destroy cersi and her "subjects".
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

Quote:

Can everyone please flag this *******'s every attack on the last few pages. Staff needs to take the trash out.
How often do you play this card?

You're getting to be a pretty obnoxious, over the top presence on this board yourself.

ummmm.... i've never called for that on this thread before i know that.

ham98
Don't forget oberyn Martell
jboog
AG
AustinAg2K said:

bobinator said:

His suggestions are logical, the problem I have with is character is he is now trusting everyone to also make ration decisions. He basically advises Jon in the very first episode of the series that people are a-holes, and to not forget that. Tyrion has forgotten that.
You articulated it better than I did, but this is largely what I'm trying to say.

Early in the show, one of his biggest strengths seemed to be that he had a gift of truly understanding people. You saw that throughout the first 5 seasons.

Then for whatever reason over these last 3 seasons, he's wrong about basically everything he gives his opinion on. Just doesn't make sense to me.
mm98
AG
Ragoo said:

jtstanley4621 said:

cbr said:

daggertx said:

I just am of the opinion that anyone hating her burning everything is just failing to understamd the entire point of the whole show.
At least for me personally, I'm upset about WHY she did it, not that she actually did it. do not think that they did a good job establishing her going down this path. Yes, they beat us over the head with her losing her inner circle (Jorah, Missandei, Jon telling Sansa, etc.) but I don't feel like that is the type of subtle, slow build that we have come to know from Game of Thrones. The writing is not as tightly packed and subtle as it once was.

Being upset with how it went down doesn't mean that you misunderstand the entire point of the series.
why do you think she did it? I personally believe she never once intended on taking Kong's landing in one piece. I don't think she is mad either. I think she understands that she needed to completely destroy cersi and her "subjects".

Well, she did elude to that in meeting in her throne room at Dragonstone. Essentially saying KL needed a reboot, for lack of a better term.
Broba Fett
The show has gone half ****** while this thread has gone full ******.
jboog
AG
ham98 said:

Don't forget oberyn Martell
Ah don't know how I left him out. He was phenomenal.
AustinAg2K
clinker03 said:

My only problem with this is the dude wrote it in twitter. He is spot on with regards to GRRM's writing style. Although GRRM does have an overall plan for a story arc, he has repeatedly said he does not create outlines for the stories. He just writes. I think that is part of why his books take so long to write. He writes a chapter, and then because he didn't plan everything out from the beginning, he has to go back and figure out if it all fits with his story. A lot of times it doesn't, so he has to scrap it and start over. Because he doesn't have hard dates for deadlines, he can follow this process even if it takes him 10 years to write a book.

That kind of writing style does not work in the world of serialized TV. GoT has to continue to produce something every week. They can't take 10 years off between seasons. It was stupid for the writers to not do two complete seasons for the ending, but even if they had their full seasons I think the ending would have problems. The first 6 seasons were written over a 30 year period. The last 2 were written in 12 months.
Tarponfly
AG
My problem with the final season of the show is that it does not match the slow and deliberate build-up of the first eight seasons. For years we have been listening to people tell us "Winter is coming." Then winter comes and the Army of the Dead is wiped out in half an episode. Next two episode, half the characters die and Dany goes full-on ape **** and destroys an entire city. Sure, I get the hints at her being a "mad queen" leading up to this season. However, the leap from feeling like she might lose standing with Jon Snow being outed as the rightful heir to the Iron Throne to homicidal maniac in one episode seems a bit extreme.

It seems as though the writers and cast just checked it in to move on to other projects.
bangobango
AG
SAtxag16 said:

bobinator said:

Tyrion murdered his dad with a crossbow while he was on the ****ter and strangled the love of his life to death. Yeah, they've destroyed his character.
jtstanley4621
AG
Ragoo said:

jtstanley4621 said:

cbr said:

daggertx said:

She showed restraint even after they killed Rhaegal while she was on the way to King's Landing. She said she did not intend to be the Queen of Ashes.

As for the why part: Essentially, the writers are banking on you believing that Mellisande was the final straw. Which I think is fine, but to me felt very rushed and as a result, the mass genocide was something that seemed to jump the shark a bit too much.
smokeythebear
AG
Joseph Parrish said:

smokeythebear said:

It's just so blatantly transparent that D&D don't care about overpowering one weapon a week to push the narrative instead of live within some semblance of reality.
If Dragonfire was this OP in Episode 3 of this season, then Jon would have been a goner hiding behind the walls of Winterfell when Rhaegal was in the courtyard. They definitely cranked up the firepower for this last episode.
Yea, don't forget that Vyserion tore down the ****ing wall with that dragon fire, but couldn't manage to knock over a 3 foot wall when Jon was behind it. It's so transparent now that it's silly.
First Page Last Page
Page 345 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.