****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,369 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
ThunderCougarFalconBird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
gambochaman said:

fact:

haters are mad because the show is not ending like they had it perfectly pictured in their minds.
The one where Jamie rage-kills Cersi (only to peel off his face and reveal Arya), then the Starks peacefully return to Winterfell, and Jon and Dany fly off into the sunset aboard their dragons after their marriage where they decide to rule as king and queen of the seven kingdoms after they get back from an epic honeymoon at Disney World (including special VIP passes at Epcot)?
claym711
AG
What'd Euron swim 5 miles to shore as the sole survivor of the fleet attack just in time to stumble upon Jamie. K
jeffdjohnson
blindey said:

gambochaman said:

fact:

haters are mad because the show is not ending like they had it perfectly pictured in their minds.
The one where Jamie rage-kills Cersi (only to peel off his face and reveal Arya), then the Starks peacefully return to Winterfell, and Jon and Dany fly off into the sunset aboard their dragons after their marriage where they decide to rule as king and queen of the seven kingdoms after they get back from an epic honeymoon at Disney World (including special VIP passes at Epcot)?

I was hoping that Jamie would peel off his face to reveal Arya. Except that Bran is controlling Arya from Winterfell. Then it is revealed that Bran was actually the Night King all along.
aTmAg
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

To all these people claiming that Dany's actions were obvious and foretold in 8 seasons of the show...

Link your (unedited) post where you predicted that Dany would waste the entire civilian population of KL.

(Spoiler guy does not count)

So the show had to be completely predictable. that makes it acceptable. lmao.
You are the guys claiming that this result was obvious for a long time, not me.

Quote:

hell no. this show was always about surprises and mass death.

It was always a possibility.
It's possible that one of her dragons could eat her too, but that also would have been lame. I have no problem with her turning genocidal. I'm not "routing" for her. Just if you are going to have her go genocidal, make the reason believable. D&D's words of "it wasn't enough" and "she's targarean" (sp) is eye roll inducing. He can't think of any better justification than that?

Quote:

You liked to use the producers words at times about motivation (like about the "snap") well here you go:

Benioff: "Ultimately she is what she is, and that's a Targaryen. You know she has said repeatedly throughout the show "I will take what is mine with fire and blood". And in this episode she does it".
I am not sure what you are talking about. Nevertheless it is a lame justification for bad writing. Of course they are going to try to make their writing sound good. What else are they going to do? Admit "we didn't lay enough ground work to make this feasible, but we said, 'screw it' and went with this anyway"
SpreadsheetAg
AG
blindey said:

gambochaman said:

fact:

The one where Jamie rage-kills Cersi (only to peel off his face and reveal Arya), then the Starks peacefully return to Winterfell, and Jon and Dany fly off into the sunset aboard their dragons after their marriage where they decide to rule as king and queen of the seven kingdoms after they get back from an epic honeymoon at Disney World (including special VIP passes at Epcot exclusive premier of Galaxy's Edge a Star Wars Theme Park)?
M.C. Swag
AG
Chase said:

dlance said:

dlance said:

Anyone seen this? Interview with Ian McElhinney (Barristan Selmy)...not show spoilers or anything FYI...

Ian McElhinney claiming GRRM is done with books 6 and 7, the series is finished and he was waiting until the show is over.
If he's as smart as I think he is, this is the way to go. Let the show do its show thing and once they stop paying you saying that you didn't think the ending was done well and certainly not what you would have chosen. Then release your own books that even haters will buy if for no other reason than to see the differences between them.
I don't think it's true at all but IF it were; that'd be the most unforgivable thing that GRRM could do. The reason GoT the show is so popular is because his books were popular. It'd be a complete betrayal to his actual fans to stiff arm their patience and support for decades just to prop up D&D and HBO.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Vince Gilligan has to be giddy right about now with how many GoT fans feel let down. Long live BB as the greatest drama of all time!
agsquirrel97
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Despite the mass suicides I've read about from TexAgs people not being able to handle a TV show playing out different than the version in their heads, last night was dynamite for the players of Game of Game of Thrones.

First off, give a dilly dilly to both Walton Loads and Geoff H. for going 8-for-8 on character deaths (assuming we count the Mountain dead, which we - me - are).

Second, Geoff H. and SpreadSheetAg had forged a three-way tie for first with AgSquirrel97 at 102 points apiece. Meanings it's possible the end of Game of Game of Thrones might be more interesting than the end of Game of Thrones.

Third, major shoutout to Coach RTM, who had more points last night (41) then he had the entire rest of the season (35).

Deaths: Varys, Cersei, Jamie, Sandor, Gregor, Euron, Qyburn, Harry

Clegane Bowl happens (+10)
Red Keep destroyed (+10)
Cersei killed by dragon damage (nobody picked it right, Valonqar my ass!)

1) AgSquirrel97 102
Spreadsheet Ag 102
Geoff H. 102

4) Sam S 95

5) Texas Aggie '99 93

6) Walton Loads 88

7) oldag00 85

8) wangus12 82

9) Urban Ag 76
Derek J. 76
Coach RTM 76

12) TxRunner97 73
Brian Earl Spilner 73
Saint Arnold 73

15) Rex Racer 71

16) Myles Moore 67

17) ChipolteMonger 63

18) Andy W. 59
Muckraker96 59

can we get a link to the file? I have to know my path to victory!!!
In absentia lucis, Tenebrae vin****.
aTmAg
AG
G Martin 87 said:

aTmAg said:

To all these people claiming that Dany's actions were obvious and foretold in 8 seasons of the show...

Link your (unedited) post where you predicted that Dany would waste the entire civilian population of KL.

Examples have been provided already. There's obviously nothing else to say that can convince you at this point. I assure you that I don't do crack, and I thought Dany's arc was sad, tragic, and completely consistent. Moving on to other topics....
Examples of what? Your links from prior to yesterday where you predicted Dany was going to genocide KL? I don't see any. Yet you guys claim it was obvious.
bangobango
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Chase said:

dlance said:

dlance said:

Anyone seen this? Interview with Ian McElhinney (Barristan Selmy)...not show spoilers or anything FYI...

Ian McElhinney claiming GRRM is done with books 6 and 7, the series is finished and he was waiting until the show is over.
If he's as smart as I think he is, this is the way to go. Let the show do its show thing and once they stop paying you saying that you didn't think the ending was done well and certainly not what you would have chosen. Then release your own books that even haters will buy if for no other reason than to see the differences between them.
I don't think it's true at all but IF it were; that'd be the most unforgivable thing that GRRM could do. The reason GoT the show is so popular is because his books were popular. It'd be a complete betrayal to his actual fans to stiff arm their patience and support for decades just to prop up D&D and HBO.
Eh, wouldn't bother me too much. We've had the show to tide us over.
aTmAg
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Vince Gilligan has to be giddy right about now with how many GoT fans feel let down. Long live BB as the greatest drama of all time!
He probably started smiling last season, but yesterday sealed it for good. There is no recovering from that.

WW's turn to evil was 100% believable and understandable. Dany's was 0% (in the show.. maybe not the books). That's the difference between spending lots of time and effort on character development.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
aTmAg said:

Not a prediction but an argument against your idea that she could have just killed Cersei and ended it. Or realy whether that was in her nature.

You mentioned the previous actions I've detailed repeatedly are not indicative of someone hell bent on killing people unnecessarily.

But let's revisit one of those. Meereen. Not crazy admittedly, she was under attack. But..... she goes out to meet the masters and she is there with her advisers telling them to surrender. They don't. Drogon flies in. Now she could have simply executed those leaders right there with Drogon. Game over. Just like what you wanted her to do instead to Cersei.

And had she shown that to all of the Harpy's and the combatants in the bay - they would surely have also laid down their weapons and surrendered and she could have likely saved all of the fleet that she burned - not knowing Yara was coming with more ships at the time THAT would have been WISE.

But she did not do that, instead what did she do?????... she left them standing there while she rode Drogon down freed the other dragons and torched the ships and killed thousands unnecessarily. Only after did Grey Worm slit 2 of their throats and then for good measure the Dothraki rode in and slaughtered all of the Harpies.

You can't tell me she could not have avoided that entire thing by just killing the masters and showing her dragons.

This woman's nature was to destroy those that anger her - and all of KL and Westeros and the North and her advisors betrayals had angered her greatly and killed 2 of her children and 75% of her army.

It was a response in kind. It wasn't pretty and it wasn't necessary. But come on it was in her nature.

bangobango
AG
bonfarr said:

aTmAg said:

Why do you give a rats ass what people say they believe? What's the big deal anyway? You seem super passionate about making people see things precisely the way you do about a damn TV show?
Lol. Welcome to what me and MC Swag and others have had to deal with the last several weeks.
bonfarr
AG
You remind me of Comic Book guy arguing with Bill Shatner at a Comic Con on an episode of the Simpsons I watched.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
aTmAg said:

G Martin 87 said:

aTmAg said:

Examples have been provided already. There's obviously nothing else to say that can convince you at this point. I assure you that I don't do crack, and I thought Dany's arc was sad, tragic, and completely consistent. Moving on to other topics....
Examples of what? Your links from prior to yesterday where you predicted Dany was going to genocide KL? I don't see any. Yet you guys claim it was obvious.

No one said obvious that it occured - I don't think. Most would likely not think the show might go to that extreme - but then again it's GOT so.

But always there in her nature and always possible.

nobody had to predict it to make it valid.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
saltydog13 said:

Are you really trying to draw parallels between actual history and the game of thrones?
Where do you think 90% of GRRM's inspiration of this show comes from?
jtstanley4621
AG
Some of the things to come feel kind of obvious, just have to fill in whatever details. I have read no spoilers, this is totally my own thinking:

-Dany is probably going to die, just have to figure out who does it. I think Jon is going to be the one, but I could also see Arya.

-Tyrion is going to get executed for freeing Jamie. Just depends on if Dany dies before that happens.

The only real question seems to be who will ultimately sit on the throne. I don't think it will be Dany. Jon doesn't want it, but I feel like he's probably the most realistic option. If we assume that Varys got the message out to a lot of people that Jon is a Targaryen, and Jon subsequently kills Dany, that would seem a very GoT-type tragic rise to the throne.
bonfarr
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

saltydog13 said:

Are you really trying to draw parallels between actual history and the game of thrones?

Lord of the Rings?
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
M.C. Swag
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

saltydog13 said:

Lots of places. Some from history. Some from other works of literature (such as LotR). Some from real world threats (WW representing global warming). And some are just from him.
bobinator
AG
I think the fact that the people we're arguing against don't seem to agree on why it happened is an example of how this was poorly written.

"She was cold and calculating and it was a decision to melt the city so that everyone else in Westeros will fear her"

"She's completely crazy and just wants to kill everyone"
wangus12
AG
cbr said:

If one of the 'new players' - sansa / bronn etc. gets a throne, i expect we will see a teaser for the game continuing against them.

If jon gets it, i expect we will see a teaser for sansa/others already plotting

I dont think even got has the balls to let danarys win, which would be my wish...but if she does it will be a sad scene

I think the theme will be the game always wins, someone kills danarys, and the wheel pauses only briefly, time for people to get over that round of violence, and be ready to risk more

Bronn is not a player in the game. He is a pawn.

And why would Sansa plot against Jon when it was her idea to elevate him above Dany
Chase
AG
dahouse said:

Why did Varys remove his rings when he was arrested?
payment to the kitchen girl for poisoning Dany later?
bangobango
AG
He's said that the war of the roses is a very strong influence for this story.

basically, the war of the roses in a fantasy setting.
The Dog Lord
AG
cbr said:

aTmAg said:

So I read all of those, and there isn't a single instance of her killing civilians for the hell of it like she did yesterday. Retribution is VASTLY different than killing civilians after the battle is over (by the million).

Lincoln executed 38 indians as retribution and lead a civil war that killed more Americans than any other war in history. Yet when the war was over, he didn't kill a million people.
Wrong - she crucified random lords for one.
Many of them had crucified children though and participated in enslaving others. Also, she admitted later that it was a mistake to randomly pick the masters to crucify because some of them had spoken against crucifying the children (although they were still slave owners).
The Dog Lord
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

Not a prediction but an argument against your idea that she could have just killed Cersei and ended it. Or realy whether that was in her nature.

You mentioned the previous actions I've detailed repeatedly are not indicative of someone hell bent on killing people unnecessarily.

But let's revisit one of those. Meereen. Not crazy admittedly, she was under attack. But..... she goes out to meet the masters and she is there with her advisers telling them to surrender. They don't. Drogon flies in. Now she could have simply executed those leaders right there with Drogon. Game over. Just like what you wanted her to do instead to Cersei.

And had she shown that to all of the Harpy's and the combatants in the bay - they would surely have also laid down their weapons and surrendered and she could have likely saved all of the fleet that she burned - not knowing Yara was coming with more ships at the time THAT would have been WISE.

But she did not do that, instead what did she do?????... she left them standing there while she rode Drogon down freed the other dragons and torched the ships and killed thousands unnecessarily. Only after did Grey Worm slit 2 of their throats and then for good measure the Dothraki rode in and slaughtered all of the Harpies.

You can't tell me she could not have avoided that entire thing by just killing the masters and showing her dragons.

This woman's nature was to destroy those that anger her - and all of KL and Westeros and the North and her advisors betrayals had angered her greatly and killed 2 of her children and 75% of her army.

It was a response in kind. It wasn't pretty and it wasn't necessary. But come on it was in her nature.

She had already killed some masters and shown her dragons. They broke a truce and showed that they still didn't get the message. All bets were off at that point.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
The juxtaposition of fans loving this show / story for all the surprises and mis-fortune to befall the main characters vs what they have pictured in their mind for the ending is truly humorous and entertaining to read.

Did some people think that this was just a lark?

What they want(ed)?

• Jon slays 7 white walkers and the Night King in one-on-one combat using the flaming sword Lightbringer and becoming super-sayan Azor Ahai. He leads their armies south with Dany both riding side by side on their 2 dragons - with Tyrion, Varys, Jamie, Brienne, Arya, Gendry, Tormund, Ghost, Jorah, Bran, Gray Worm, Theon, Beric, The Hound, Davos, etc. in tow.
  • When they arrive Arya sneaks in and kills Qyburn and takes his face in order to get close to Cersei.
  • The Dragons sink Euron's fleet together without a scratch.
  • When everyone shows up at the gates of KL, the town revolts against Cersei and throw open the gates. The soldiers march in a sieze the city, leaving only the Red Keep left to conquer.
  • The Hound comes forward to Challenge Zombie-Mountain and dispatches him with great honor.
  • Cersei tries to flee justice, but Arya pins her down and forces her to march to the middle of the fighting arena where The Hound just bested his older brother and lived.
  • Jamie and Tyrion walk up to Cersei, and Jamie executes her for all her crimes, saying how disappointed he is in her.
  • Bran wargs things
  • Jon marries Dany and they have 4 babies together
  • Sam becomes a Maester AND Lord Tarly and has 6 of the bravest sons in the 7 kingdoms
  • Arya marries Gendry and they live out their days happily in Storm's End
  • Sansa marries Tormund and they become the best rulers of the the North giving fealty to Jon and Dany. Sansa invites Dany to her wedding, and they become BFFs
  • Jamie and Brienne stay together
  • Tyrion winds up the Lord of Casterly Rock, and finds his first wife from way long ago, and renews his vows to her and they live happily ever after
  • Gray Worm and Missandei return to Narth and live out their days in peace

... etc, etc, etc. It's how stories are supposed to end - all happy and neat and tidy.

These same people were upset that not enough of the same main characters died at the Battle of Winterfell.
Seven Costanza
AG
Was there a purpose behind showing the wildfire plumes during all of that?
aTmAg
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

Your way doesn't punish any of the people who join in and ally against her enemies. She would want everybody to think twice about joining an army against her. What she did made perfect sense. And is a far cry from wasting a million civilians after the battle was over.
BlueSmoke
Quote:

I'm not "routing" for her
If you were, may I suggest a Dremel. Love mine.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
Furlock Bones
AG
Have to say it does me give me a sort of pleasure to read others finally coming to the conclusion that D&D are terrible writers and there really isn't any deeper meaning to choices they make on the show.

Just like them bending the Melissadre eyes prophecy to Arya.

I enjoyed this last episode far more now that I gave up they could stop this train wreck of an ending.
bobinator
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Well they had said a few times that there were stores of wildfire all over King's Landing so it wouldn't have made much sense if there weren't some plumes.

I was actually impressed they included that, it means at least someone is paying attention to some of these details of the show.
aTmAg
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

G Martin 87 said:

aTmAg said:

No one said obvious that it occured - I don't think. Most would likely not think the show might go to that extreme - but then again it's GOT so.

But always there in her nature and always possible.

nobody had to predict it to make it valid.
Have you been reading the responses to me this morning? Maybe none of them used the word "obvious" (I'm not going to scroll and look) but the sentiment is certainly there.
aTmAg
AG
bonfarr said:

You remind me of Comic Book guy arguing with Bill Shatner at a Comic Con on an episode of the Simpsons I watched.
You remind me of a guy who defends Saved By the Bell like it's a masterpiece.
MW03
AG
bonfarr said:

OldShadeOfBlue said:

saltydog13 said:

Lord of the Rings?

SpreadsheetAg
AG
bobinator said:

Seven Costanza said:

Well they had said a few times that there were stores of wildfire all over King's Landing so it wouldn't have made much sense if there weren't some plumes.

I was actually impressed they included that, it means at least someone is paying attention to some of these details of the show.
Yep
First Page Last Page
Page 336 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.