****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,546 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Aggie12B
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
StringerBell said:

She's gonna come after Jon
As Bran is watching, he sees Jon tell her
"I got mine, you get yours,"

Of course this only happens if Jon forgets she is his aunt.
bearamedic99
AG
Epic episode and the inevitable Mad Queen but it all felt meh and poorly executed. Including the limitless dragon fire exploding stone and masonry or burning her own troops in the streets along with civilians.

A lot of good stuff already covered that I'll try to avoid repeating.

-Cleganebowl seemed too even. sandor was outmatched and Gregor had the high ground. Sandor should have tried some tricks and definitely should now be blind.

-where did Dany go before the battle? She had been ranting about Sansa. Any chance she made a quick trip to Winterfell for some pettiness?

-Who would Varys have written? Sansa? The mister illario (sp?) who had fostered Dany and her brother?

-Sandor told Arya that the road to revenge ends in death and she has cheated death too many times. Who will kill Arya next episode?

-Are Sandor and Grey Worm even alive?

-Jamie should have died earlier. Even though Euron was a pale shadow of his book basis, she should have easily killed an older man who was missing his primary hand.

-the Arya scenes late in the episode definitely gave a World Trade Center attack vibe (or other historic air raids). Hopefully fans with ties to that deal with it okay.

-Arya's continued improbable survival left me expecting the waif or some other faceless man to kill her at some point.

-People forgot that across the Narrow Sea, cities pay tribute to the Dothraki so the horse lords won't pillage their cities even with walls. We should have expected the Dothraki to be victorious but then rape and pillage.

Just one more GD episode to remind my of why books are always better than the adaptions. All the Ramsay Bolton quoters, do we expect further unhappy ending or was this it? Can it get worse?
investorAg83
AG
aTmAg said:

I slept on it, and reflected a little bit.

I hate it even more. Dany's actions even make less sense now. She basically almost wiped out her own army. If it wasn't for Jon pulling back, they would have died along side of the civilians. In fact, once the retreat started, the civilians would be every bit as capable of escaping the city as Dany's army. So basically her soldiers faced the same probability of death as civilians. So not only was it senseless from Dany's perspective, but it looks like from the finale preview, she has most of her army intact. Stupid.

All they had to do to make Dany's actions make some semblance of sense was to have the bells NOT ring, and maybe see her watch a civilian pick up a sword and try to attack one of her soldiers or something. Make her think the city was against her even if it was not. To have her hear the bells and then decide "well... I'll kill them anyway" was atrocious writing. Yesterday I used George Washington as an example. But the better example is Lincoln. He both freed slaves and had people executed. Yet does anybody think that he'd try to kill a million of civilians AFTER the battle was won? Just because he heard bells ring? Hell no. That's about as much sense as Dany yesterday.

The people saying "this is pure GRRM greatness" or whatever are smoking crack. In GRRM's world, people who did evil things did them for a reason. They acted consistently in their own self interest. It made sense. If he had intended for Dany to go Stalin the entire time, then fine. I assume he either did a better job of making it believable or hadn't written that part yet. Maybe that is why he stopped writing books. He couldn't figure out a way to turn Dany into a crazed lunatic that wasn't stupid. Perhaps he wasn't willing to try. D&D were willing, and they look like idiots in the process.

You can't be this dense with Dany's character. It was evident from the time Tyrion mentioned the prospect of the bell ringing and where Dany's mental state was exactly how that scene was going to go down. I looked at my wife, 'they're going to ring the bell and Dany's going to kill them all anyways.'

My wife that has been barely watching any of the show and barely knows who anyone is was like 'what? Why?' You sound like her. You haven't been paying attention.

Dany isn't Lincoln. She isn't Indiana Jones. She isn't George Washington. Quit comparing her to them and go back to sleep.
wangus12
AG
cbr said:

The point of this is 'game of thrones'.

Sansa is the new baelish/cersi. She stepped onto the wheel.

There are only 2 people outside the game - danarys who wants to break the feudal wheel and be good to common people, and jon who is too stupid to even figure out the wheel is round and turning.

Hell, staring at the end of humanity right in the face didnt even slow up that wheel - the game - for full week.

If jon wins, the wheel will roll over him just like it did ned. Danarys is the only chance to try something different.
To be fair, if Jon wins, there really aren't any more spokes left on the wheel to make a power play
chiken
AG
bearamedic99 said:

Are Sandor and Grey Worm even alive?
Ummm...unless he's immune to gravity and fire, I'm going to say "no, he dead."
aTmAg
AG
Another thing I forgot to mention:

The fact that Dany wiped out the fleet and scorpions so easily was idiotic. Last week Euron's fleet first 3 shots went 3 for 3 from a mile away. They yesterday they looked like storm troopers. I thought they were going to do something smart to win that battle. Like maybe sneak up in the middle of the night and burn the scorpions on one side of the city, and then have Dany approach from that direction or something. But no. This time, she was just really good at flying a dragon and everybody else had really bad aim.
investorAg83
AG
chiken said:

bearamedic99 said:

Are Sandor and Grey Worm even alive?
Ummm...unless he's immune to gravity and fire, I'm going to say "no, he dead."

This and much of that post makes it look like they didn't even watch the episode.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
I think I've done the opposite of last week. Last week I watched the episode and thought it was fine but I watched it again and the more I thought about it the more I disliked it.

I wasn't super into this episode as it went, but after watching it again and letting everything sink in I think it's growing on me and it's actually a good episode.
aTmAg
AG
investorAg83 said:

aTmAg said:

I hate it even more. Dany's actions even make less sense now. She basically almost wiped out her own army. If it wasn't for Jon pulling back, they would have died along side of the civilians. In fact, once the retreat started, the civilians would be every bit as capable of escaping the city as Dany's army. So basically her soldiers faced the same probability of death as civilians. So not only was it senseless from Dany's perspective, but it looks like from the finale preview, she has most of her army intact. Stupid.

All they had to do to make Dany's actions make some semblance of sense was to have the bells NOT ring, and maybe see her watch a civilian pick up a sword and try to attack one of her soldiers or something. Make her think the city was against her even if it was not. To have her hear the bells and then decide "well... I'll kill them anyway" was atrocious writing. Yesterday I used George Washington as an example. But the better example is Lincoln. He both freed slaves and had people executed. Yet does anybody think that he'd try to kill a million of civilians AFTER the battle was won? Just because he heard bells ring? Hell no. That's about as much sense as Dany yesterday.

The people saying "this is pure GRRM greatness" or whatever are smoking crack. In GRRM's world, people who did evil things did them for a reason. They acted consistently in their own self interest. It made sense. If he had intended for Dany to go Stalin the entire time, then fine. I assume he either did a better job of making it believable or hadn't written that part yet. Maybe that is why he stopped writing books. He couldn't figure out a way to turn Dany into a crazed lunatic that wasn't stupid. Perhaps he wasn't willing to try. D&D were willing, and they look like idiots in the process.

You can't be this dense with Dany's character. It was evident from the time Tyrion mentioned the prospect of the bell ringing and where Dany's mental state was exactly how that scene was going to go down. I looked at my wife, 'they're going to ring the bell and Dany's going to kill them all anyways.'

My wife that has been barely watching any of the show and barely knows who anyone is was like 'what? Why?' You sound like her. You haven't been paying attention.

Dany isn't Lincoln. She isn't Indiana Jones. She isn't George Washington. Quit comparing her to them and go back to sleep.
Yeah, Lincoln, Indy, and George Washington did stuff that made sense and was at least 1% believable.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Jaime succeeded in preventing the slaughter of King's Landing where Tyrion failed.
bearamedic99
AG
Eh, I was watching on my phone in between calls on a 24hr shift. I was a bit too tired to retain all details.
Furlock Bones
AG
bearamedic99 said:

god could you imagine the hound falling out of a tower into an inferno and walking away?

that can't happen, right? right!?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

dlance said:

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

JFC, there is a gigantic d**chebag on this thread, and you know exactly who you are.

***** This thread is clearly no longer safe from spoilers. If you are that desperate to talk about the leaks, start a new thread about them. *****
Call 'em out.
I'll put the poster's name in spoiler tags

Good Aggie Hunting

Ok so hold on.....I looked back through all of this posters posts in the last 2 weeks - he has never posted any theories or anything.

He did post one link to a spoiler thread - I think it was a reply to when the previous leaks were brought up and whether they had been accurate. He tried to put the link in spoiler tags but that did not work. Staff has edited the post to remove the link because of that.

but he had it with the warning:

Quote:

Link to leaked spoilers from a few days ago that seems accurate.

I mean we didn't want it here - but it's not like he posted theories or even links without warnings. And it was removed because the spoiler tags didn't work.

This was I think the post in question - it is now neutered anyway so safe to read:

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2877532/replies/54239393

Is that what you are talking about?

bearamedic99
AG
Dumber things have happened.

Maybe the Lord of Light owes him one and Sandor is now a priest of the fire god
ArbAg
AG
We can all heap tons of praise and criticism over this season of episodes but the bottom line for HBO is that GOT is probably it's most viewed series of all time. Millions of viewers have been drawn in by the unpredictable storyline(s) and the network executives have got to smoking cigars over the ratings.
Broba Fett
bearamedic99 said:

Epic episode and the inevitable Mad Queen but it all felt meh and poorly executed. Including the limitless dragon fire exploding stone and masonry or burning her own troops in the streets along with civilians.

A lot of good stuff already covered that I'll try to avoid repeating.

-Cleganebowl seemed too even. sandor was outmatched and Gregor had the high ground. Sandor should have tried some tricks and definitely should now be blind.Who cares if he is blind? He's dead.

-where did Dany go before the battle? She had been ranting about Sansa. Any chance she made a quick trip to Winterfell for some pettiness?

-Who would Varys have written? Sansa? The mister illario (sp?) who had fostered Dany and her brother?

-Sandor told Arya that the road to revenge ends in death and she has cheated death too many times. Who will kill Arya next episode?

-Jamie should have died earlier. Even though Euron was a pale shadow of his book basis, she should have easily killed an older man who was missing his primary hand.

-the Arya scenes late in the episode definitely gave a World Trade Center attack vibe (or other historic air raids). Hopefully fans with ties to that deal with it okay.

-Arya's continued improbable survival left me expecting the waif or some other faceless man to kill her at some point.

-People forgot that across the Narrow Sea, cities pay tribute to the Dothraki so the horse lords won't pillage their cities even with walls. We should have expected the Dothraki to be victorious but then rape and pillage.

Just one more GD episode to remind my of why books are always better than the adaptions. All the Ramsay Bolton quoters, do we expect further unhappy ending or was this it? Can it get worse?
M.C. Swag
AG
Loved some of the cinematics. Incredibly brutal episode. Seeing the city burn through the eyes of the common people was really effective emotionally.

Things D&D kinda forgot about (this episode):

- Cersei, the Red Keep has fallen in the past. To your father during Robert's Rebellion.

- Jaime, you did care about the common people in King's Landing when you killed Aerys.
Furlock Bones
AG
bearamedic99 said:

Dumber things have happened.

Maybe the Lord of Light owes him one and Sandor is now a priest of the fire god
i have been one of the most vocal critics of the last 2 seasons. but, i actually liked last nights episode though i agree that they forced Dany's heel turn too quickly.

however, i've still given up on things making sense in the show. hey, here's pacey the pirate and Jaime are on the same beach to have some stupid fight.
dc509
AG
I've got plenty of issues with this season, but that episode was awesome.
wangus12
AG
The only man who saw Dany for what she truly was!

Broba Fett
aTmAg said:

The fact that Dany wiped out the fleet and scorpions so easily was idiotic. Last week Euron's fleet first 3 shots went 3 for 3 from a mile away. They yesterday they looked like storm troopers. I thought they were going to do something smart to win that battle. Like maybe sneak up in the middle of the night and burn the scorpions on one side of the city, and then have Dany approach from that direction or something. But no. This time, she was just really good at flying a dragon and everybody else had really bad aim.

Plot armor
canadiaggie
AG
wangus12 said:

The only man who saw Dany for what she truly was!

BOW YA ****S
wangus12
AG
rononeill said:

I hope they let us know WTF bran has been up to the whole damn show.
Bran has been using that incognito search function

tremble
AG
Not a bad episode but they built Dany too much as trying to be a decent person before the heel turn. She needed more screen time to show a real descent into madness. Have Varys' betrayal stew for a few episodes and show the consequences of it (maybe a few houses abandoning Dany's quest for the throne now that they know about Jon).

I'm also at a loss to how poorly they've established Jon's motivations this season. What exactly is his grounds for spurning Dany romantically?? Like if it's because they're related just come out and say it. The only person who ever even mentioned this was Varys. As it is, we've just had him declare loyalty to "my queen" but then he's not sleeping with her or anything?

The fact that this episode only reinforces how ****ing dumb the "Aimbot Heard Around the World" to kill Rhaegal with the boat scorpions was is pretty depressing though.
dc509
AG
tremble said:

Not a bad episode but they built Dany too much as trying to be a decent person before the heel turn. She needed more screen time to show a real descent into madness. Have Varys' betrayal stew for a few episodes and show the consequences of it (maybe a few houses abandoning Dany's quest for the throne now that they know about Jon).

I'm also at a loss to how poorly they've established Jon's motivations this season. What exactly is his grounds for spurning Dany romantically?? Like if it's because they're related just come out and say it. The only person who ever even mentioned this was Varys. As it is, we've just had him declare loyalty to "my queen" but then he's not sleeping with her or anything?

The fact that this episode only reinforces how ****ing dumb the "Aimbot Heard Around the World" to kill Rhaegal with the boat scorpions was is pretty depressing though.
I would have liked to have seen this as well. It furthers my belief that one more season would have helped. Make season 8 about the war against the Night King and season 9 about the iron throne. Oh well. I'm still enjoying it, and I'm excited to see how it ends.
G Martin 87
AG
aTmAg said:

She dove in from a high angle with the sun at her back. Turns out that Euron wasn't seeing hundreds of baby Drogons (like the more ridiculous theorists suggested from last week's preview), but squinting into the sun unable to be sure what he was seeing.
aTmAg
AG
G Martin 87 said:

aTmAg said:

She dove in from a high angle with the sun at her back. Turns out that Euron wasn't seeing hundreds of baby Drogons (like the more ridiculous theorists suggested from last week's preview), but squinting into the sun unable to be sure what he was seeing.
I'll give her the first dive. It's the 20 after that which are a problem, IMO.
Ranger222
AG
The biggest issue with this episode, the Dany turn, and really the storytelling in general is they just don't have enough time for it to marinate. We really needed a filler episode between 4 & 5 that went into more detail about the grief Dany was feeling. We needed more depressed Dany time for us to really get her turn.

Lets do a quick recap --
She lost Jorah who has been with her from the beginning
She lost Missandei, her only true female friend
She has lost two of her children
She lost the trust of Varys, who brought her to Westeros
Tyrion has made mistake after mistake and she can't trust him
Most importantly, she lost Jon who she loved who will no longer reciprocate any love interest in her
The only person on her current side is Greyworm, just because he is grieving the loss of Missandei as well.

The scene between Dany and Jon last night at Dragonstone should have been way more impactful than it was. Jon stops her advances and she says "well thats it now, isn't it?" That is where she turns and realizes there really isn't anything left for her. She even goes on to say that she came to Westeros and nobody loves her. Not the people, not her closest advisors, not Jon. This has gone down the exact opposite of how she expected. Even after helping the North defeat the NK, the people still loved Jon, not her. She is an outsider and will always be. This was her reckoning with that realization.

I am surprised by the amount of people that don't get that, but I think this is where the season falls short. Just not enough time to let that develop like it would have in earlier seasons. The decision for the 6 episode season is really the downfall here, especially after HBO offered them 10 that could have let these things play out more.
P.C. Principal
investorAg83 said:

aTmAg said:

Yup. Varys yelling "i told you so" from the grave.
Furlock Bones
AG
serious question: why did Brienne not die at Winterfell? this would have made Jaime's ride back to Cersei much more believable than he deciding to bed the one woman he respected enough to make her knight then tell her to piss off.
Vernada
AG
Quote:

I am surprised by the amount of people that don't get that,
I think people get it - but like you say - people don't like how sudden the turn seems to have occurred.
Vernada
AG
Furlock Bones said:

serious question: why did Brienne not die at Winterfell? this would have made Jaime's ride back to Cersei much more believable than he deciding to bed the one woman he respected enough to make her knight then tell her to piss off.
If they don't use her for something important next week, you are absolutely right that would have made more sense.
InternetFan02
AG
Ranger222 said:

The biggest issue with this episode, the Dany turn, and really the storytelling in general is they just don't have enough time for it to marinate. We really needed a filler episode between 4 & 5 that went into more detail about the grief Dany was feeling. We needed more depressed Dany time for us to really get her turn.

Lets do a quick recap --
She lost Jorah who has been with her from the beginning
She lost Missandei, her only true female friend
She has lost two of her children
She lost the trust of Varys, who brought her to Westeros
Tyrion has made mistake after mistake and she can't trust him
Most importantly, she lost Jon who she loved who will no longer reciprocate any love interest in her
The only person on her current side is Greyworm, just because he is grieving the loss of Missandei as well.

The scene between Dany and Jon last night at Dragonstone should have been way more impactful than it was. Jon stops her advances and she says "well thats it now, isn't it?" That is where she turns and realizes there really isn't anything left for her. She even goes on to say that she came to Westeros and nobody loves her. Not the people, not her closest advisors, not Jon. This has gone down the exact opposite of how she expected. Even after helping the North defeat the NK, the people still loved Jon, not her. She is an outsider and will always be. This was her reckoning with that realization.

I am surprised by the amount of people that don't get that, but I think this is where the season falls short. Just not enough time to let that develop like it would have in earlier seasons. The decision for the 6 episode season is really the downfall here, especially after HBO offered them 10 that could have let these things play out more.

also by morning of the attack she likely knew that Tyrion completed his betrayal by freeing Jamie. Even if not she should have figured out that he was going to do whatever it took to keep Jamie alive even if it meant saving Cersei as well. Tyrion proved to be a bad choice as hand. Jorah dying was really the big breaking point but also she could have replaced Tyrion before BoW and kept Jorah in the crypts.
Max Power
AG
Man I went from really high to really low last night, the dragon attacking the fleet and all the scorpions to then just going after innocents. Tyrion and Jaime was tough to watch, Sandor got his revenge and lost at the same time. Jon is reeling. Dany can't trust Tyrion, he's done for. What's next for Arya? Jon? Sansa? So many questions. Once Jon opened his mouth to Sansa, the dominoes fell in basically the only way possible.

I think I'm mainly sad because this ride is almost over, I've loved it and gotten upset so many times. Good tv becomes a part of your life, you look forward to it, think about it, talk about it, try to predict the future, and we're down to one episode and it truly saddens me. It certainly hasn't been perfect, I have as many critiques as anyone about things that don't make sense, but I'm still there every Sunday night, this show is family for me.

I don't see this showing on a high note, there's just about no outcome that will make me happy. Even Dany's death after inflicting straight up genocide via dragon will probably make me weepy. These characters were nothing at the beginning, Dany was property, Jon was just a young man who just wanted to be a good soldier, Sansa was a little girl that wanted to be a lady, Arya the tomboy that didn't want to be what others wanted. Dany has the throne and armies and a dragon, Jon the true heir and a leader of men, Sansa the ultimate player of the game, and Arya a deadly assassin. It's been so much fun going on this trip with them, sadly won't end the way we want for probably any of them.

I'll truly miss it when it's gone.
Dro07
AG
everyone saw the turn coming if you didn't then they haven't been paying attention. I think its just a culmination of a rapid season that needed more meat to it.

My biggest gripe honestly is the Jamie story line. Dude went from total redemption to just being the same person at the end just not as arrogant. He became one of my favorite characters and I guess thats what happens in the game of thrones when you have a favorite character.
First Page Last Page
Page 328 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.