****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,900,228 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JFC, there is a gigantic d**chebag on this thread, and you know exactly who you are.

***** This thread is clearly no longer safe from spoilers. If you are that desperate to talk about the leaks, start a new thread about them. *****
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CoachRTM
AG
This is a generalization and obviously doesn't work for everyone, but......

There seems to be a correlation with reading the spoilers beforehand and being disappointed with the way the show is going. Maybe reading a few bulletpoints on a page doesn't quite do it justice and then you have a negative outlook going into the episode.

Just an observation.
TCTTS
AG
Eliminatus
AG
tv1113 said:

It would have been perfectly reasonable for her to just completely destroy the red keep and Cersei in anger but the step to destroying thousands of innocent lives is a ridiculous leap they made.
Nope. It was needed. It is clear that this is a Jon vs. Dany showdown now. Two beloved characters. But D&D are constrained within the confines of societal norms, ie one clear winner, good vs evil, etc. The plot twists that we know and love....that is nearly all GRRM (To give at least a little credit to D&D)

Ergo, to keep that one clear victor AND good vs. evil themes they have to turn the end loser bad. So Dany goes rogue. And has about a third of an episode to do it in. This is the most expedient way to do it.

The main problem is the thing I have been *****ing about since forever ago. This absolutely ridiculous timeline they gave themselves. They simply don't have time to flesh out why the audience members need to turn on Dany unless they go for the killing of innocents. I hate this is how they had to do it.....but if I had 20 minutes to turn someone bad....I'd probably do the same.
TCTTS
AG
CoachRTM
AG
Also, if you don't want to be spoiled for the finale, leave this thread now. I've already accidentally clicked on one person's spoiler tag and had a major plot point ruined for me.

It's only a matter of time before correct guesses start showing up (one poster is already doing it... based on the one thing I do know)
Bregxit
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

JFC, there is a gigantic d**chebag on this thread, and you know exactly who you are.

***** This thread is clearly no longer safe from spoilers. If you are that desperate to talk about the leaks, start a new thread about them. *****
Call 'em out.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
dlance said:

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

Call 'em out.
I'll put the poster's name in spoiler tags

Good Aggie Hunting
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bregxit
AG
Indeed. What a dick.
Clob94
Oooooooooooooh **** you Game of Thrones.

**** you!
Liquid Wrench
TCTTS said:

I wish I could give this more likes.
Wes97
AG
It seems to me this "turn" has obviously been foreshadowed for a long time in both the books and the tv show. Specifically it seems they confirmed one of the prophesy's from the books that the tv show had ignored. They probably ignored it for a good reason because it would have given too much away.

In the house of the undying Dany is told she will face 3 betrayals. One for blood, one for gold, and one for love.
Seems to me she pretty much accused Jon of being the third one. Which would have been a pretty good reason for her to be pissed in the books.
FancyKetchup14
AG
It was a good episode, but it left me wanting a little more with some character deaths.

Will be repeating thoughts already posted:

Loved Tyrion and Jamie's moment. That was heartfelt and it felt like those characters were saying goodbye to eachother for good.

Varys' death wasn't surprising, but still didn't like it. He had some of my favorite dialogue on screen. Jon definitely gave dany a look like "wtf have I gotten myself into"

Dany going full Mad Queen was shocking to see, even if we had been building to it. Watching the hidden wildfire explode was quite the callback.

That dip****, likely vaping pirate ending up on the same shore as Jamie was way too forced. But glad Jamie killed him.

The moment Arya had with the hound was special. Loved her calling him Sandor. That was very humanizing.

Greyworm's dick-less revenge bloodlust was a sight to see. Was waiting for Jon to square off against him.

Clegane Bowl was everything I wanted.

Not sure if Arya is done with the revenge train, and ready to get the hammer waiting for her at Storm's End. Or, if she just silently added a name to her list. I was waiting for her to say "Danerys" and then we cut to black.

Cersei/Jamie could've ended in a more satisfying way, but I'm not a creative writer and who knows, that may have been how GRRM wanted them to go. We won't know till Gramps finishes his book.

I'm trying to not fault the writers or armchair QB this season. They took a vision/plan and put their stamp on it, and we have no clue what GRRM's endgame is here. Regardless, I've found the season entertaining, even with some of the faults.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but maybe the expectations outgrew what the show is capable of?
Broba Fett
So Dany is gonna be petting her dragon when all of a sudden he reaches out and spears her in the chest. As Dany looks up in tears, Drogon suddenly speaks and says "the North remembers" as he pulls off his face and reveals that it's really Arya. Roll end credits.
trip
AG
Dany when they all meet back up

Cerdock
AG
welp - lady Oleanna was "right" - stop listening to clever men and be a dragon. So many (online) are horrified by her actions, and judging her by real-life sensibilities would lead one to believe her to be a monster. But, she was never "human", humans don't walk out of burning buildings, etc. She is "part dragon" and she was finally being herself. She did what dragons do - whatever they feel like doing.
G Martin 87
AG
tv1113 said:

This was horrible, people defending daenerys' MASSIVE character snap are just full of crap.

There have been signs hinting at her lack of compassion, but she has never ever been close to this. They tried to turn her into this crazy villain over the course of 2 episodes and the whole thing is ridiculous.

This is an utter piece of garbage.
Go back and rewatch the series from the beginning. It's not crap. The signs have been there all along.
rononeill
I hope they let us know WTF bran has been up to the whole damn show.
G Martin 87
AG
CJAG90 said:

welp - lady Oleanna was "right" - stop listening to clever men and be a dragon. So many (online) are horrified by her actions, and judging her by real-life sensibilities would lead one to believe her to be a monster. But, she was never "human", humans don't walk out of burning buildings, etc. She is "part dragon" and she was finally being herself. She did what dragons do - whatever they feel like doing.
Exactly. Remember everyone chuckled when Sansa asked Dany what do dragons eat? Ah, the funny retort from Dany isn't so funny anymore, is it? Another brick in the wall.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
La Bamba said:

PatAg said:

La Bamba said:

So someone explain to me the symbolism behind the white horse? Death or balance of power/wisdom?
it's a cool shot

I mean everything is in ashes, burned, and out of nowhere a beautiful pristine white stallion is just chillin. Ummm, dafuq?
Pristine? It was covered in soot and had blood up to it's shoukders.

Some of you need bigger, better, brighter TVs so you can actually see what's happening.

The horse was white, because dirt and blood show up better on a white palette
Furlock Bones
AG
WestAustinAg said:

Charlie Kelley said:

If you think this season is good, you're a simpleton who is entertained by bright lights and loud noises.

I loved this episode and it redeemed the season. Full stop.

Those who didn't like it are just hurt that their ridiculously simplistic happy ending didnt and couldn't happen the way they wanted it to.

I laugh at your sad attempt to criticize those of us who think this is exactly the way the show should end. Dark. Insane. Total GRRM. 100%.
bwahahahaaha. so dumb.
cbr
AG
G Martin 87 said:

tv1113 said:

This was horrible, people defending daenerys' MASSIVE character snap are just full of crap.

There have been signs hinting at her lack of compassion, but she has never ever been close to this. They tried to turn her into this crazy villain over the course of 2 episodes and the whole thing is ridiculous.

Go back and rewatch the series from the beginning. It's not crap. The signs have been there all along.
Go back and listen to every major character. They all told you in advance that the game itself is the real villain. It left her no choice. Be nice dead ned, or be cersi - this was her sparrow trial.
G Martin 87
AG
cbr said:

G Martin 87 said:

tv1113 said:

Go back and listen to every major character. They all told you in advance that the game is the villain. It left her no choice. Be nice dead ned, or be cersi - this was her sparrow trial.
Yep. It was always going to end in tragedy. Lots of people either weren't paying close attention along the way, or had just fooled themselves into denial.
JJxvi
AG
Ned wishes he could have been as nice, lucky, and dumb as Jon Snow
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Vernada
AG
So what does Dany do now?

She just went 100% against all the advice of her advisors. Does she try to kill them all now too just to protect her flank?
M.C. Swag
AG
Vernada said:

She just went 100% against all the advice of her advisors. Does she try to kill them all now too just to protect her flank?

She's earned a latte
G Martin 87
AG
Vernada said:

Fishing for spoilers, are you?
StringerBell
AG
She's gonna come after Jon
bonfarr
AG
PatAg said:

The hard part about these threads is figuring out who has genuine reasons and logic for feeling the way they do, and who is just blindly hopping on either bandwagon (show is still great, or show is no longer great)

Because those people are the worst. I guess currently it's cool to hate on the show, so people dogpile just because..and then you have people who will just decide to defend the show BECAUSE its being dogpiled

Good Lord get over yourself. You are the most insufferable person on this and any Cowboys thread.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
G Martin 87
AG
My wife gets it:
Quote:

Ever since reading halfway through the third book about 10 years ago, I have understood that it was never GRRM's agenda to tell a happy story. I didn't understand why he seemed to want to torture his readers. But after watching a 60 minutes interview recently, I think I do now. His intent is to make us experience what is so abhorrent about war, power-hungry despots, and the devastation one person with rage can inflict on the masses. The only way to do this effectively is to make us fall in love with the characters so that we will experience the tragedy of it all more fully. He wants to influence people to become better caretakers of our world and each other through his storytelling.
Furlock Bones
AG

*Bailey's. Mmm... creamy. Soft creamy beige"
aTmAg
AG
I slept on it and reflected a little bit.

I hate it even more. Dany's actions even make less sense now. She basically almost wiped out her own army. If it wasn't for Jon pulling back, they would have died along side of the civilians. In fact, once the retreat started, the civilians would be every bit as capable of escaping the city as Dany's army. So basically her soldiers faced the same probability of death as civilians. So not only was it senseless from Dany's perspective, but it looks like from the finale preview, she has most of her army intact. Stupid.

All they had to do to make Dany's actions make some semblance of sense was to have the bells NOT ring, and maybe see her watch a civilian pick up a sword and try to attack one of her soldiers or something. Make her think the city was against her even if it was not. To have her hear the bells and then decide "well... I'll kill them anyway" was atrocious writing. Yesterday I used George Washington as an example. But the better example is Lincoln. He both freed slaves and had people executed. Yet does anybody think that he'd try to kill a million of civilians AFTER the battle was won? Just because he heard bells ring? Hell no. That's about as much sense as Dany yesterday.

The people saying "this is pure GRRM greatness" or whatever are smoking crack. In GRRM's world, people who did evil things did them for a reason. They acted consistently in their own self interest. It made sense. If he had intended for Dany to go Stalin the entire time, then fine. I assume he either did a better job of making it believable or hadn't written that part yet. Maybe that is why he stopped writing books. He couldn't figure out a way to turn Dany into a crazed lunatic that wasn't stupid. Perhaps he wasn't willing to try. D&D were willing, and they look like idiots in the process.
AggieDPT
AG
Carlo4
AG
dlance said:

Indeed. What a dick.

Hope staff bans him and removes all the old posts.
First Page Last Page
Page 327 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.