****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,379 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll take an ending where Jon goes back north to Winterfell and rules as KitN
BCG Disciple
AG
I thought this was a reasonable direction to go. Not sure how much experience y'all have with women, but in the last week every person she ever trusted died or betrayed her. She lost her best friend, her love betrayed her and denied her sexual advances, and her most trusted advisors are scheming against her. She is the most powerful person in the world, yet she is all alone, in mourning, and in the depths of depression from being jilted by a lover. Women I have known would go scorched earth with a small fraction of the devastation she has recently gone through. Not a mad queen, but more like a moderately calm and collected queen at best and a normal queen at worst.
HalifaxAg
AG
cbr said:

Old Tom Morris said:

cbr in 'nam

LOL, well, if you're going to war, call it what it is....
dang cbr...be honest which one is it?

...you named your real life kid Khaleesi....you just got a Dracarys tattoo ...or your Antifa application got rejected
jenn96
AG
Dani going Mad Queen has to be straight from GRRM. It's as huge a plot development as Jon's parentage; there's no way the show producers created that out of whole cloth. There have certainly been signs that this was coming, but like everything else this season, it was just so rushed. And to go full genocide on the civilians was way way past anything she's ever considered. I'm not surprised at all by this development - it was telegraphed pretty obviously over the last two seasons - but she went so over the top crazy so quick that it felt cheap to me, and I've been expecting it since I read Storm of Swords 16 years ago. Notice they never showed Dani after she started rampaging, so we don't know what she was thinking. Not that it matters when you go full Pol Pot on the city you plan to rule.

So there's that. In grace notes, this episode did do several things really well. The wildfire caches exploding over the city were a very cool throwback to the original mad king and a reminder that at least one person involved in this season remembers what foreshadowing is.

Jaime and Tyrion scene was beautiful and made me sad.

Cleganebowl was great. I loved, loved the Hound telling Arya to let go of her revenge. The relationship between the two of them was one of my favorite things in the show. And watching Arya turn back into a Real Girl seemed like a real advancement of her arc too. She's still not going to be a lady in a castle, but she's regained some of her humanity back. I wasn't a big fan of Arya the Terminator.

And Cersei and Jaime dying together didn't bother me as much as I'd thought it would. I knew he was going to save her, I just didn't expect that end. It will be interesting to see if either of them somehow survived. I doubt it but who knows.

I think Varys managed to get those messages off; the scene were the little girl comes to him is clearly before he's taken. I'll bet he was sending the to all the remaking lords, and I imagine Sansa is doing the same thing.

And then there's Euron Greyjoy. The Jar Jar Binks of Games of Thrones.
cbr
AG
schmendeler said:

cbr said:

oragator said:

This episode is getting mediocre (at best) reviews from critics.
Best episode for me in a while, (which isn't saying much given he the season has gone), but also disappointed in how little set up there was for Dany's Transformation. Didn't feel right and hung over the episode.
this season was too rushed, but honestly, i think that particular 'transformation' wasnt. She tried everything Tyrion's merciful way. She tried to love Jon. She tried to win Sansa. She saluted Arya. She sacrificed every single thing for these people, and they hate her and didnt wait a week after beating the devil himself and saving the entire world.

****, she gave up everything to save the ****ing world, and in 2 days everyone is scheming to push her aside.

All she got from mercy and trust was losing her 2 best friends she ever had.

I think that particular 'arc' was perfect. **** em all. Win. Break the wheel. or die.
She didn't step aside for the man she supposedly loved with the better claim to the throne to rule.
i see the perspective, but if you've watched this show, you know for certain that -

1 - jon is too stupid to last, and too stupid to rely on. His own dad tried to play 'honorable' in that culture and got aerated in public in front of a cheering crowd by the most hatable human on the whole continent.

Hell, he got himself murdered by a paltry band of scheming 'brothers of the watch' once already, and didn't learn anything from that either. I dont think she's dumb enough to miss that point.

Then he was already betrayed and manipulated by his own *******ed sister, while the bodies of Danary's friends were still burning.

He's toast and so is anyone that hitches their wagon to him.

2- no way she survives 'the court' either. she gets schemed/poisoned/stabbed in the back/whatever as soon as her dragon is over the horizon. She is DEAD unless she wins. No group of houses is going to let some uppity ***** with a dragon sit around eating bon bons and live.

There is literally no choice for her. win alone or die.
mike_ags_fan12
BCG Disciple said:

I thought this was a reasonable direction to go. Not sure how much experience y'all have with women, but in the last week every person she ever trusted died or betrayed her. She lost her best friend, her love betrayed her and denied her sexual advances, and her most trusted advisors are scheming against her. She is the most powerful person in the world, yet she is all alone, in mourning, and in the depths of depression from being jilted by a lover. Women I have known would go scorched earth with a small fraction of the devastation she has recently gone through. Not a mad queen, but more like a moderately calm and collected queen at best and a normal queen at worst.

But can she make a sammich?
Fenrir
oragator said:

cbr said:

oragator said:

Best episode for me in a while, (which isn't saying much given he the season has gone), but also disappointed in how little set up there was for Dany's Transformation. Didn't feel right and hung over the episode.
this season was too rushed, but honestly, i think that particular 'transformation' wasnt. She tried everything Tyrion's merciful way. She tried to love Jon. She tried to win Sansa. She saluted Arya. She sacrificed every single thing for these people, and they hate her and didnt wait a week after beating the devil himself and saving the entire world.

****, she gave up everything to save the ****ing world, and in 2 days everyone is scheming to push her aside.

I think that particular 'arc' was perfect. **** em all. Win. Break the wheel. or die.
Except that according to the writers she didn't even plan to do it, she just lost it. Would have made far more sense if it had been foreshadowed more.

https://www.polygon.com/game-of-thrones/2019/5/12/18617279/game-of-thrones-daenerys-targaryen-mad-queen-red-keep-dragon-season-8-episode-5-bells

"Despite her isolation, the writers say that Daenerys doesn't actually go into the battle with the aim of destroying everything.

"And then she sees the Red Keep, which is, to her, the home that her family built when they first came over to this country 300 years ago," D.B. Weiss says. "It's in that moment, on the walls of King's Landing, where she's looking at that symbol of everything that was taken from her, when she makes the decision to make it personal."

I don't think that's all that bad honestly. I don't think they conveyed those emotions in her at all at that moment though. Whether that's on d&f or Emelia I have no idea.
gigemJTH12
AG
Woah

Silvertaps
AG
InternetFan02 said:

HalifaxAg said:

Anyone else catch the caches of green wildfire exploding around the city. Dany carried out her mad father's last command. That was a very cool nod to bring it full circle.
I saw that and my take was that cersei and Qyburn set the wildfire trap in the red keep and were going to set it off on the armies as they approached. Cersei's standing up there with that smug ****ing grin as the bells are ringing just waiting for them. Cersei was trying to force her to burn it all down.

I also took the exploding wildfire as a nod to her finishing what her Mad King father planned to do before dying. He wanted to burn the city down as we've been told since Season 1. Full circle indeed.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

redline248 said:

I just watched the scene again. Brienne literally says "they are going to destroy that city. you can't save her, you'll die, too." Brienne certainly thinks he's going to try and save Cersei, and I believe 100% that is what the show was trying to convey.

Yes I get that is what Brienne thinks. No doubt

As for what the show was trying to convey - I believe that's rather ambiguous and intentionally so.

And how they portray what Brienne says is 100% intended to play to that narrative side.

It's a TV SHOW - they want you to think that.

But the entire intention all along was to kill Cersei - that did not change because of what Euron did. I see no reason that news would make Jamie flip back to Cersei - cuz she's in danger?!?!?! They sent 4 half armies and 2 dragons to kill her. That did not change.

WHY was he fine with it.... until he heard she had the advantage now???????????????

PS - I went back to find this..... and admit I was dead wrong here....

And that's the worst part of this episode. the Jamie and Cersei love story for the ages was pure crap.

but.... YOU WERE RIGHT.

and there was someone else I argued with about it. I as dead wrong about that - but think that was some horrible writing and a bad end to their arc.

I'd rather he either choked her out or she went down in a blaze of glory.But alone together huddled in a collapsing cave professing their love. Blech.

Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Arya kills Dany
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Sarduakar said:

Arya kills Dany

that would suck. imho.

has to be Jon at this point right?

I mean a. he was saved for a reason and b. she already had her kill

cbr
AG
yep
mazzag
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

mazzag said:

What did Davos smuggle!

Tyrion in to see Jaime

Well that was lame.
gigemJTH12
AG
How are Jon or anyone else going to get close enough to kill Dany? She knows they hate her now. She was nearly killing them with no regard.

I think it has to be faceless Arya.
ccaggie05
AG
I just browsed Twitter and just learned that Game of Thrones is now sexist, misogynistic, xenophobic, and racist based on the last few episodes.

I guess feminists are pissed that they named their daughters Khaleesi.
wangus12
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Sarduakar said:

Arya kills Dany

that would suck. imho.

has to be Jon at this point right?

I mean a. he was saved for a reason and b. she already had her kill

I agree. Arya may try but I can only see it being Jon. Which means D&D are going to make Sam show up out of nowhere and kill her
Madmarttigan
AG
This was horrible, people defending daenerys' MASSIVE character snap are just full of crap.

There have been signs hinting at her lack of compassion, but she has never ever been close to this. They tried to turn her into this crazy villain over the course of 2 episodes and the whole thing is ridiculous.

This is an utter piece of garbage.
wangus12
AG
mazzag said:

CFTXAG10 said:

mazzag said:

What did Davos smuggle!

Tyrion in to see Jaime

Well that was lame.

I think it was planting the escape boat in KL for Jaime and Cersei
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
ccaggie05 said:

I just browsed Twitter and just learned that Game of Thrones is now sexist, misogynistic, xenophobic, and racist based on the last few episodes.

not sexist when Sansa, Cersei or countless other women were being raped, or used as sex objects, or traded for favors, or married off in forced marriages or killed for sport.

but it's sexist NOW?!?!?!?!??!?!
InternetFan02
AG
I loved watching Cersei die in weakness with no hope and crying about her family. Just wish it was at a public execution. But she was never surrendering. I'll take it.
cbr
AG
Fenrir said:

oragator said:

cbr said:

oragator said:

Except that according to the writers she didn't even plan to do it, she just lost it. Would have made far more sense if it had been foreshadowed more.

https://www.polygon.com/game-of-thrones/2019/5/12/18617279/game-of-thrones-daenerys-targaryen-mad-queen-red-keep-dragon-season-8-episode-5-bells

"Despite her isolation, the writers say that Daenerys doesn't actually go into the battle with the aim of destroying everything.

"And then she sees the Red Keep, which is, to her, the home that her family built when they first came over to this country 300 years ago," D.B. Weiss says. "It's in that moment, on the walls of King's Landing, where she's looking at that symbol of everything that was taken from her, when she makes the decision to make it personal."

I don't think that's all that bad honestly. I don't think they conveyed those emotions in her at all at that moment though. Whether that's on d&f or Emelia I have no idea.

i confess i had seen the 'mad queen' concept, and as she was sitting there contorting her face over it, it occurred to me that she was just doing the math.

she had survived the crossbow. she had won. but jon was down there and they were ringing bells - they were surrendering to jon. they feared her some, but they were expecting jon to rule.

jon was going to have everyone's backing, and neither she nor jon was going to live long in that scenario. i started mulling choices with her - give up and go back east - hope no one schemes up a fleet to chase her down? not an option. Rely on Jon and Sansa? No freaking way. Time to survive. and break the wheel.

Madmarttigan
AG
Not to mention she was killing her own troops as well. This is just so ****ing terrible.
wangus12
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

How are Jon or anyone else going to get close enough to kill Dany? She knows they hate her now. She was nearly killing them with no regard.

I think it has to be faceless Arya.

Maybe she still wants Jon's d and he sticks her with a pointy end
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
InternetFan02 said:

I loved watching Cersei die in weakness with no hope and crying about her family. Just wish it was at a public execution. But she was never surrendering. I'll take it.

yeah that wasn't the bad part really - it wasn't great but it was Jamie going back to her and portraying it as really the great love story of GOT. what. why??? FFS.

Dro07
AG
Can we all just agree this episode would have been better with elephants?
jenn96
AG
I think the funniest thing about this season is how people on the internet are twisting themselves in pretzels trying to explain and justify certain plot twists but if you watch the "After the episode" interviews with the directors they're basically saying "Yeah, a wizard did it. ".
Dro07
AG
Jamie/Cersie incest good

Jon/Dany incest bad?

Just plow her Jon and everyone lives.
Dro07
AG
Ends with him hugging Ghost?! Bitter sweet!
jenn96
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

ccaggie05 said:

not sexist when Sansa, Cersei or countless other women were being raped, or used as sex objects, or traded for favors, or married off in forced marriages or killed for sport.

They've *****ing about all that for years. They just ***** so much about everything that no one remembers.
Swarely
Too late
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
jenn96 said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

ccaggie05 said:

They've *****ing about all that for years. They just ***** so much about everything that no one remembers.

well yeah I've heard some over the years but apparently it's a lot now and based on the last few episodes.

plus

i mean ok..... great.maybe they can get the most popular show on TV taken off the air the week before the finale and on a voluntary cable PAY service. lol

they can cancel. they don't have to watch or pay for it. lmao.
Brock Sampson
AG
I mean.... I said it but didn't think she'd go through with it.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 324 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.