****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,320 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
clinker03 said:

double aught said:

Not to interrupt the arguing, but:

Anyone ever wonder why some character names sound made up while others are normal?

Tyrion, Daenerys, Davos
vs
Jon, Rob, Jaime

I mean, what's up with that?
I know, right? The best one is Harry Strickland - the leader of the Golden Company that we have only seen once. If that isn't the waspiest / stock broker name and so out of place, then I don't know what is.

Sounds like it is short for Harrison Strickland, III.

lol. ok.

but some of those are just traditional by family.

Lannisters - Tyrion, Tywin - other historic ones are Tybolt, Tytos, Tybald, etc. Jamie though well....I think the mom won out there.

Targaryens have a lot of y names and other weird names too - Viserys, Rhaeserys, Aerys, Rhaenys, Aegon, Aemon, Aerian, etc. etc.

Starks - Robb, Rickon and Brandon are all historic names in the family. the girls not so much and Jon as a ******* (they thought) he would not get a cool family name

Basically each family has some naming history - some more normal than others.

Davos - well we don't even know his parents name, just some crabber in Flea Bottom so who knows.
bobinator
AG
I here for any Varys theories. I think he's a big wildcard in these final couple of episodes. They've really kept him around for a long time without really doing much.
Phrasing
AG
bobinator said:

I here for any Varys theories. I think he's a big wildcard in these final couple of episodes. They've really kept him around for a long time without really doing much.
I'm thinking he does attempt an assassination on Dany, and could see Tyrion trying to stop it. From the last episode its clear he thinks Jon is the more fit ruler and that "he will never betray the realm". Seems to me his mind is made up.
CoachRTM
AG
I think the most vanilla/ predictable ending goes something like this :

Dany goes a little "mad queen" and attacks Cersei's forces with a less than ideal plan.
Grey Worm is now the best fighter in the battle and basically indestructible because of his grief.
Varys gets caught by Dany doing something treasonous and is probably killed.
Dany's handling of the Varys situation convinces Tyrion that he was right and Jon is the better choice.
Dany/ Jon tension grows.
Euron is killed by either Jon or Dany in a badass way.
Yara shows up with ships and has a moment.
Bronn shows up and "earns" Highgarden by doing something making him worthy of it during the battle. (Or he dies in the process of trying)
Hound kills Mountain in "Clegane-bowl" after overcoming a fire-related close call.
Dany has a "redeemable" moment before sacrificing herself to help win the battle.
Jaime is conflicted, but ends up causing Cersei's death. (either he kills her, or doesn't stop it from happening)
Jon ends up on the throne.
Hot Pie serves breakfast pastries.

... which of course means that none of it is going to happen.

Also, I can't imagine that Sansa, Samwell, Gilly, Tormund, Ghost and the rest in the north are just absent in the last two episodes. Somehow there's going to be a threat or an issue to deal with in the North. Plus Nymeria's wolf-pack was teased by GRRM - can't really see that happening in King's Landing, but maybe there was nothing to it after all.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

clinker03 said:

double aught said:

Anyone ever wonder why some character names sound made up while others are normal?

Tyrion, Daenerys, Davos
vs
Jon, Rob, Jaime

I know, right? The best one is Harry Strickland - the leader of the Golden Company that we have only seen once. If that isn't the waspiest / stock broker name and so out of place, then I don't know what is.

lol. ok.

Lannisters - Tyrion, Tywin - other historic ones are Tybolt, Tytos, Tybald, etc. Jamie though well....I think the mom won out there.

Targaryens have a lot of y names and other weird names too - Viserys, Rhaeserys, Aerys, Rhaenys, Aegon, Aemon, Aerian, etc. etc.

Starks - Robb, Rickon and Brandon are all historic names in the family. the girls not so much and Jon as a ******* (they thought) he would not get a cool family name

Davos - well we don't even know his parents name, just some crabber in Flea Bottom so who knows.

Star Wars is way worse on this. You have Anakin, Han, even Leia Organa is exotic, Obi Wan Kenobi, Qui Gon Jin, the list goes on and on.

Then there is Luke. Luke Skywalker.
bonfarr
AG
bobinator said:

If he is a Blackfyre can he convince the Golden Company to turn on Cersei? The Blackfyres in the GC have sought a return from their exile and maybe Varys can manipulate them Into supporting his cause.

I will be pissed if we don't learn what he heard the voice in the fire saying to him though since they made such a big deal about it.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
smokeythebear
AG
M.C. Swag said:

I'm just asking why she didn't kill Tyrion. Everything else, I'm ok with. But deciding to not kill Tyrion only because of some rules of propriety feels off about what we know about Cersei.
Killing Tyrion means Qyburn is killed by Greyworm. Maybe Cersei takes that trade in private, but sacrificing your most loyal advisor to kill your own brother would probably worry a lot of the men in her army who are watching.

Likewise with the Bronn deal. She's paying him to make sure her brothers were "collateral damage" in the war, but certainly she doesn't want it to be public information that she murdered her brothers in cold blood.
CFTXAG10
AG
bobinator said:

"I will return, dear Spider, one last time," she said in reference to Westeros. "I have to die in this strange country, just like you." -Melisandre to Varys
double aught
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

clinker03 said:

double aught said:

Tyrion, Daenerys, Davos
vs
Jon, Rob, Jaime

lol. ok.

Star Wars is way worse on this. You have Anakin, Han, even Leia Organa is exotic, Obi Wan Kenobi, Qui Gon Jin, the list goes on and on.

I asked my friend Luke (born 1980) if he was named after Luke Skywalker. He looked at me like I was an idiot and said "Umm, the Bible."

I was like "oh, yeah"
smokeythebear
AG
I think anyone who assumes Cersei could send out 100 cavalry to kill the Unsullied and Dany is being incredibly naive or purposely obtuse.
smokeythebear
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

bobinator said:

"I will return, dear Spider, one last time," she said in reference to Westeros. "I have to die in this strange country, just like you." -Melisandre to Varys

I wonder if we also figure out what the other Red Priestess was talking about when she met Varys. She says something like "do you remember what the old mage heard when he threw your parts into the fire? You do, don't you". He likely still has some storyline to be played out for the LoL.
M.C. Swag
AG
smokeythebear said:

I think anyone who assumes Cersei could send out 100 cavalry to kill the Unsullied and Dany is being incredibly naive or purposely obtuse.
bangobango
AG
double aught said:

Champ Bailey said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

clinker03 said:

double aught said:

Tyrion, Daenerys, Davos
vs
Jon, Rob, Jaime

lol. ok.

I asked my friend Luke (born 1980) if he was named after Luke Skywalker. He looked at me like I was an idiot and said "Umm, the Bible."

I was like "oh, yeah"
smokeythebear
AG
I didn't say anything about you personally. I like you as a poster and you have lots of good input!
The Debt
smokeythebear said:

I didn't say anything about you personally. I like you as a poster and you have lots of good input!

Chill out it's a line from Shawshank. Tim Robbins calls him obtuse.
aTmAg
AG
double aught said:

Champ Bailey said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

clinker03 said:

double aught said:

Tyrion, Daenerys, Davos
vs
Jon, Rob, Jaime

lol. ok.

I was like "oh, yeah"
Luke Skywalker was in the Bible?
double aught
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
smokeythebear said:

CFTXAG10 said:

bobinator said:

I wonder if we also figure out what the other Red Priestess was talking about when she met Varys. She says something like "do you remember what the old mage heard when he threw your parts into the fire? You do, don't you". He likely still has some storyline to be played out for the LoL.

Yeah I don't think that meant anything for him here and now - it was simply so that he believed her visions because it was something only he and the sorcerer were privy to.

It was like Bran telling LF about the knife to Ned's throat or saying "the things we do for love" to Jamie. It simply proved she knew what happened to him and has powers. He was a skeptic as always and she shocked him.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Quote:

That's what bothers me. The dragons are literally everything and the way that dipsh** pirate dewsh gets a kill on one is just so hollow. If I were Drogon I might consider just flying back to the Dothraki Sea and eating cows and sheep the rest of my days. Cause this is bullsh**.
aggietoombs01
Just a thought. What if Bran wargs into a bunch of crows, and forms the shape of a dragon to distract Euron's fleet with the scorpions. Then Dany comes in with Drogon from a diferent angle and has enough time to close the gap and set the whole fleet ablaze?
My Dad Earl
AG
So I went back last night and watched the Massacre at Hard Home, then out of curiosity went back to the season 5 thread to gauge the reaction of everybody here once the capability of the Night King and Army of the Dead were finally revealed. I remember the chills I felt during that epic scene of the Night King taunting Jon (and all of Westeros for that matter) and everybody in the audience thinking that Westeros was absolutely screwed.

And then the Battle of Winterfell happened and the Night King and his army ended up being a massive disappointment to what we were led to believe. The Armies of the North in Episode 0803 would not have stood a chance against the Army of the Dead we saw at Hard Home...

...thank you for listening. I'll sulk to myself now.
ac04
a murder of crows even
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
aggietoombs01 said:

Just a thought. What if Bran wargs into a bunch of crows, and forms the shape of a dragon to distract Euron's fleet with the scorpions. Then Dany comes in with Drogon from a diferent angle and has enough time to close the gap and set the whole fleet ablaze?

THAT would be badass!!!!!!

I don't care about the physics of it.

Actually.... please be true.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
My Dad Earl said:

So I went back last night and watched the Massacre at Hard Home, then out of curiosity went back to the season 5 thread to gauge the reaction of everybody here once the capability of the Night King and Army of the Dead were finally revealed. I remember the chills I felt during that epic scene of the Night King taunting Jon (and all of Westeros for that matter) and everybody in the audience thinking that Westeros was absolutely screwed.

And then the Battle of Winterfell happened and the Night King and his army ended up being a massive disappointment to what we were led to believe. The Armies of the North in Episode 0803 would not have stood a chance against the Army of the Dead we saw at Hard Home...

...thank you for listening. I'll sulk to myself now.

Yeah but you are not considering that they just walked 2000+ miles and rations were scarce. They are tired.

CFTXAG10
AG
aggietoombs01 said:

I feel like Bran won't be much of a factor in E5. He might be around in E6 to wrap up the story, but his character seems to be above using his powers as the 3ER for something that will be useful in battle. When the world was ending due to the NK/WW sure, but not to go take the iron throne.
The Debt
Have we all given up on a BranDrogon warg moment?
bangobango
AG
I'd be shocked if Bran has any involvement in the war with Cersei. I don't think the 3 eyed raven cares who sits on the iron throne, and they've gone out of their way to remind us that he's not really Bran anymore, so he doesn't really have any allegiance to Jon or the Starks.

He's supposed to be a neutral character who only cares about the long night, but who knows with the writing we are getting now.
bobinator
AG
That's a new take on my bran-using-birds theory, but I like it.

Bran could also have birds deliver small bombs and take out all the scorpions if he wants to.
aggietoombs01
ac04 said:

a murder of crows even
NOICE!
bobinator
AG
Do we know that for sure, or was that just his main concern previously? Presumably now that that's done he has to do something right?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

aggietoombs01 said:

I feel like Bran won't be much of a factor in E5. He might be around in E6 to wrap up the story, but his character seems to be above using his powers as the 3ER for something that will be useful in battle. When the world was ending due to the NK/WW sure, but not to go take the iron throne.

unless he was there - ala Hodor - causing the Mad King to try to burn them all and all of this has been a play to rectify that or put an end to what occurred because of that and put a Targ back on the throne.

cbr
AG
smokeythebear said:

Ok, why?
chase128
AG
Do you think Bran cares about the fate of his family?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
bobinator said:

That's a new take on my bran-using-birds theory, but I like it.

Bran could also have birds deliver small bombs and take out all the scorpions if he wants to.

wait...they have bombs???

why not just put 10000 of them in a big net thing and have Dragon fly it over KL. BOOM!!!!

Just like in The Last Jedi - lol - except we have gravity here so the physics checks out.
bonfarr
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

smokeythebear said:

CFTXAG10 said:

bobinator said:

Yeah I don't think that meant anything for him here and now - it was simply so that he believed her visions because it was something only he and the sorcerer were privy to.

It was like Bran telling LF about the knife to Ned's throat or saying "the things we do for love" to Jamie. It simply proved she knew what happened to him and has powers. He was a skeptic as always and she shocked him.

The voice from the fire was more important than that because Varys also included the story in his talk with Tyrion and he made a point that the voice is what haunts him.

Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
First Page Last Page
Page 292 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.