****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,517 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Counterpoint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Ah, there must be different versions floating around. I thought you meant the one that is an episode per day.

Edit: Ah, yes. The one I posted a while back. Coincidentally my rewatch lined up on 2/21.

Yeah that's the one! Enjoy the rest of the show.
Valar morghulis.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
One thing I hadn't really noticed until this rewatch is that the entirety of Season 3 is basically just "stalling". (Which makes sense, since it's just the first half of that book.)

Nobody's story progresses much. There's maybe 4-5 episodes worth of "progress" of each respective storyline, it's just padded out for a full season.

Don't get me wrong, still a great season. And even though Robb is basically just hanging out in camp most of the season, man does the Red Wedding make up for that. It really makes the whole season, and you don't even realize there's no major battles.

I think Dany is the only character who you can point to and say she really had a full arc in that season. (Gains an army, sacks 2 cities.)
Phrasing
AG
I tend to agree with this. Everyone mentions Season 3 as one of the best seasons, but I think that just reflects how crazy the red wedding was. Season 4 in my book was one of, if not THE, best. So much happened in that season that you forget. The purple wedding was in Episode 2 and it just kept going strong from there all the way to the finale. The penultimate you got watermelon head, but even the last episode was great. So much packed into one season.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Absolutely. And the Battle of Castle Black for episode 9. That season really is great all around.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Season 4 was great; I really like season 6 a lot though.
Phrasing
AG
That's right! I was wrong - Watermelon Head was Episode 8. Battle for Castle Black was the penultimate and then Tyrion killing Shae and Tywin in 10 as he escaped. Man - great season.

I'm in Season 5 right now and it is good, but seems more like setting up Season 6 - which is awesome.
ChoppinDs40
AG
4 is the best and the most happenin

Joffrey dies. Sansa escapes. Tyrion kills Tywin. Watermelon head. Jon saves castle black.

STANNIS THE MANNIS.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
AggieFanatic09 said:

Joffrey dies. Sansa escapes. Tyrion kills Tywin. Watermelon head. Jon saves castle black.

STANNIS THE MANNIS.

and the worst (ok not Hodor or Red Wedding bad ....but a lot of bad still happened).

Viper v Mountain - ugh
Ygritte dies - **** you Olly
Jorah tried as a spy and banished - No Dany
Brienne v The Hound - brutal and painful at the time
Arya flees Westeros - can't a girl just go home?
Lyssa flies - ok that was good...but LF being bad
Jaime and Cersei - incest + rape = bad^2
Theon/Reek - won't leave with Yara

there just wasn't a lot of positivity in season 4.

hunter2012
AG
Hodor's exit was the best payoff plot wise. A quirk and plain truth sitting in the open until the big reveal. He went out like a boss too. I really hope we see his Wight, its the sort of kick in the gonads that the show makers live for...
HtownAg92
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

AggieFanatic09 said:

STANNIS THE MANNIS.

and the worst (ok not Hodor or Red Wedding bad ....but a lot of bad still happened).

Viper v Mountain - ugh
Ygritte dies - **** you Olly
Jorah tried as a spy and banished - No Dany
Brienne v The Hound - brutal and painful at the time
Lyssa flies - ok that was good...but LF being bad
Jaime and Cersei - incest + rape = bad^2
Theon/Reek - won't leave with Yara

there just wasn't a lot of positivity in season 4.

Quote:

I saw this as a positive - Arya leaving behind her past and starting over with a new adventure. Sure, she had nowhere left to go at this point, but instead of quitting and going and working with Hot Pie, she decided to go learn to badass.
Urban Ag
AG
Season 4 was essentially the second half of A Storm of Swords which most readers consider to be the pinnacle of the entire book series. I've probably ready it three times over the years. Amazing how many events of importance transpire.

And......by comparison, book 4, A Feast for Crows (aka Jamie Wanders the Riverlands Forever) essentially has nothing of importance happen.
redline248
AG
hunter2012 said:

Hodor's exit was the best payoff plot wise. A quirk and plain truth sitting in the open until the big reveal. He went out like a boss too. I really hope we see his Wight, its the sort of kick in the gonads that the show makers live for...

I wonder if seeing wight Hodor would give Bran any sense of humanity back...
c-jags
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Those silent credits after the Red Wedding. Gets me every time.

We rewatched in December and January.

One of the highlights of my marriage to this day is sitting with my non book reading wife waiting for that scene to develop, unfold, and blank credits.

I remember silence and then "YOU KNEW THIS WAS COMING, DIDNT YOU!?!?"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll never get tired of watching Joffrey die.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Three glorious new seconds.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/auc5or/spoilers_just_the_new_footage_of_season_8/

Dragons at Winterfell!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Cee gee
Brian Earl Spilner said:

https://i.redd.it/v01deuqy9hi21.jpg

Is this a magazine?..
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yep
CapCityAg89
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/auc5or/spoilers_just_the_new_footage_of_season_8/

Dragons at Winterfell!

That look on Arya's face is awesome!
Ol Jock 99
AG
Looks like the Dothraki women were put to work sewing Unsullied Winter Uniforms!
Phrasing
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Looks like the Dothraki women were put to work sewing Unsullied Winter Uniforms!
jabberwalkie09
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Dragons at Winterfell!

That look on Arya's face is awesome!

It's pretty awesome. I really want to know what is running through her mind at that moment.
OnlyForNow
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

It's pretty awesome. I really want to know what is running through her mind at that moment.
Probably something like, "how long do I have to look up at nothing in the sky with this look on my face"

Cause, you know, the dragons are CGI.
jabberwalkie09
AG
OnlyForNow said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Probably something like, "how long do I have to look up at nothing in the sky with this look on my face"

Cause, you know, the dragons are CGI.

I imagine that there was someone making sounds or dictating what's happening and Williams laughed after the take. I mean I'd laugh if someone was making probably meh dragon sounds.

What I meant is more like, "Flying death bringers, ****ing valse marghoulis Cersei."
OnlyForNow
AG
I know.

The difference in what Maise William's was thinking and her character at that point have to be completely opposing though.

Funny to think about for the series and the complete CGI stuff. I think there was a shot of Jon interacting with the dragon near the cliff and it was never there.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I don't know, but the look on Arya's face totally sells it for me.

Remember that scene in season 2, where she's talking with Tywin and she names all the dragons and dragon riders during Aegon's conquest. (Names he didn't even know.)

Arya is a history buff, and a dragon lover. She is going to love them.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Prosperdick
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Cercei sucks as always...
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Prosperdick said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Cercei sucks as always...

like "pfffft dragons....***** please... you're late"

lol
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Cersei with the resting ***** face.
Agnzona
Just saw "Fighting with your family" Cersei has the bad mother down pat.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
S8 theory: Heard a theory that Tyrion made some sort of deal with Cersei, and betrayed Dany/Jon. (Which also explains that weird look on the boat in the finale.)

Thoughts?

I really hope that's not the case, but something DID happen in that meeting with Tyrion and Cersei. Hopefully, it's Tyrion playing Cersei.
wangus12
AG
My thoughts are you might want spoiler tag that because it is the one thing that I've seen mentioned multiple times by the people who leaked most of Season 7

In reply to BES
Urban Ag
AG
I really doubt it. We're just out of runway at this point for too many more twists. I honestly think viewers may be a little disappointed with season 8 if they are expecting the typical "game of thrones" machinations. IMO, the game of thrones is over. It's just war. Tyrion was played by Cersei.

And really it is just academic at this point. Golden Company or not, Cersei does not have the ability to do anything more than sit behind the walls of Kings Landing and attempt to survive. Dany was already committed to "the real war" before they even attempted to convince Cersei. Her lies about committing to send her troops north have no real bearing on anything.

Also, what power or influence does Tyrion have at this point to negotiate anything binding? Dany already dressed him down big time when she rebuffed him about taking the dragons to rescue Jon and Co. I really hope the writers came up with something meaningful to close Tyrion's arc but he seemed about useless in S7.

oh and the look on Arya's face is completely priceless and so perfectly in character. Awesome.
First Page Last Page
Page 29 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.