****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,050 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep. Littlefinger gave it to Bran, who gave it to Arya.

She then used it to slash Littlefinger's throat.
Urban Ag
AG
Belton Ag said:

Doubt GRRM and HBO would spend all that storytime developing her character just to off Littlefinger and then fade away.

Better than even odds she plays a massive part in winding this thing up.
Well, that's really kind of the problem in not finishing the novels and leaving it to HBO. Everyone knows that GRRM sat down with a very small number of people from HBO and outlined "how it all ends". But if the guy couldn't even finish TWOW in the nearly eight years since a DWD, I have a very hard time believing he could document to HBO how to finish out the arcs of most of the characters (sans Jon and Dany) to any degree of significance.

LF's death felt a little cheap. The guy was the catalyst for the entire Game of Thrones but ultimately just kind of stalls out and gets his throat slashed. Varys has done just about nothing since Dany left Essos, and honestly, what would he do at this point anyway. The game is over, it's just the war.

What if this really is Arya's arc concluding? She finally returned to Westeros to avenge the Starks. She's done a pretty job. And she reunited with Nymeria to boot.

Melisandre' told Arya they would meet again. I think that happens and Arya will kill her. But I bet there will be some twists there as well. I just can't see Arya finishing her arc in killing Cersei but I suppose it could happen. Just seems so likely that is Jamie's job.
Belton Ag
AG
I agree, I think Jaime (or Tyrion) kills Cersei. I think Arya won't get the chance because she'll be busy doing other things.

To your point about Littlefinger, I think his arc had run its course and there was really nothing left for him to do. With Bran back in Winterfell, there was no chance his plan to turn Arya and Sansa against each other would work. He played the game out to his only possible conclusion - and played it well - but there was no way he was ever sitting on the Iron Throne, so his time had come.
Urban Ag
AG
Agreed it just seemed like a bland ending for the guy that engineered an entire continent tearing itself apart. Oh well.
Agnzona
Chaos is a ladder.
A. Solzhenitsyn
bearamedic99 said:

I just looked at the season 8 photos again and it appears Sansa has taken the black.

Interesting. She doesn't seem the type.
redline248
AG
A. Solzhenitsyn said:

bearamedic99 said:

I just looked at the season 8 photos again and it appears Sansa has taken the black.

Interesting. She doesn't seem the type.

I would watch that video
G Martin 87
AG
Urban Ag said:

Agreed it just seemed like a bland ending for the guy that engineered an entire continent tearing itself apart. Oh well.
"Bland ending"? Chuckle. These folks seemed to enjoy it well enough.

wangus12
AG
G Martin 87 said:

Urban Ag said:

"Bland ending"? Chuckle. These folks seemed to enjoy it well enough.

Isn't that BES's video. He make any money of the 1.6 million views?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Can't monetize due to a copyright on the audio. Would've been nice.
jtmoney03
AG
What if Arya makes it to the capitol in time for Cersei to give birth to a boy? She then kills the baby and Cersei. She will make it back to the North with the baby's face, where Sam or the Rangers will take Arya north of the wall and place her in the woods outside of Kraster's Keep. When the WW who picks her up brings the baby to the Night King, she will pull out a tiny piece of dragon glass or the Valyrian dagger (though that would be hard to hide in the swaddle) and jam it through his heart, thereby ending the war against the dead.

Obviously this all goes out the window if Cersei is really only manipulating her brothers into thinking she's pregnant. Which is probably the case.
aTmAg
AG
I don't think Arya's arch is over. One consistent aspect of this show is that "women can be strong too". In something closer to reality, Clegane would have cut Brienne in half, little Arya would have been killed by one of the hundreds of dudes she has killed, Yara Greyjoy would have gotten her face stomped in by somebody she was trying to talk tough to, etc.

I expect Arya, Brienne, etc. to be fighting right along side the grown men and kicking every bit as much ass as they do.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Clegane would have cut Brienne in half
Brienne is huge.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is pretty neat.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
https://www.poolofdragons.com/
aTmAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Clegane would have cut Brienne in half
Brienne is huge.
So is Clegane. Put the biggest female boxer in the ring with a medium sized male boxer, and she'd still get crushed. It's just the nature of how we evolved over millions of years.

Now perhaps in the GoT world people evolved differently, but then the women would basically look like men with boobs. (And nobody would want to watch that)
Ol Jock 99
AG
You just described Brienne.

The female fighters in GoT, and there aren't many, typically rely on speed, not strength.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nobody said he's not. But he's not that much bigger than Brienne to be able to cut her in half. (If he was even fast enough.)

In the real world, it would be a relatively equal fight, just like it was in the show.
aTmAg
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

You just described Brienne.

The female fighters in GoT, and there aren't many, typically rely on speed, not strength.
Bruce Lee said he would get destroyed by Mohammad Ali. The same principle applies here, IMO.
aTmAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Nobody said he's not. But he's not that much bigger than Brienne to be able to cut her in half. (If he was even fast enough.)

In the real world, it would be a relatively equal fight, just like it was in the show.
There is no way in hell. The US Women's national team gets routinely destroyed by male high school aged teams in scrimmages (like 5-0). The Williams sisters each got destroyed by a mediocre (professional) tennis player. Katie Ledecky, who has been blowing away her competition in the 400m freestyle would lose by 15 seconds to men. Trans men (converted to women) are destroying their competition every sport they try (like wrestling). You take the best female MMA fighter and put her up against a professional male of the same weight, height, etc. and she would get destroyed.

Hell, there is a girl on my daughter's soccer team who played football up until high school. When she was bigger than everybody, she was pretty good (started at linebacker). But when they caught up in size, she got crushed. Even she admits that it wasn't even close. That is why she focuses solely on soccer now.

Clegane would have crushed Brienne, and it wouldn't have even been close.

Edit: This reminds me of a story. When I coached my son's soccer team (about age 7), I was trying to get them to pass well. They weren't listening to me at all. So I set up a scrimmage with the coach of my daughter's team (she is 2 years older), because they passed extremely well. My thought was that when they make us look silly with passes, my boys would learn. Well it backfired. We beat them 10-0 with my boys out muscling the girls and taking turns trying to dribble and scoring like Messi (even though he wasn't a thing yet). Boys are just hardwired to be aggressive and violent. Girls are not, and it showed.
redline248
AG
Is there any crossover between men and women in fencing? That would probably be the closest to skill with a weapon like the swords used in GoT. Sheer strength/speed isn't the full equation in this conversation.

I do agree with everything you said, but I wonder where technical skill with a weapon comes into play.

For example, a woman could make way more three point shots than LeBron in a shooting contest, but would get smoked in one on one.
JD Shellnut
AG
redline248 said:

Is there any crossover between men and women in fencing? That would probably be the closest to skill with a weapon like the swords used in GoT. Sheer strength/speed isn't the full equation in this conversation.

I do agree with everything you said, but I wonder where technical skill with a weapon comes into play.

For example, a woman could make way more three point shots than LeBron in a shooting contest, but would get smoked in one on one.

Is this just an open 3 point contest or is Lebon playing defense on her? Huge difference. And yes, we have ourselves a good ole fashioned derail here!
aTmAg
AG
redline248 said:

I'm not sure about your question on Fencing. However, I do not think fencing is very similar to Glegane and Brianne's fight. They were wearing armor and swinging heavy swords and punching each other in the face a lot.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I'm looking forward to your thoughts on resurrection from the dead and dragons.
redline248
AG
Drifter. said:

redline248 said:

Is this just an open 3 point contest or is Lebon playing defense on her? Huge difference. And yes, we have ourselves a good ole fashioned derail here!

I'm talking just shooting, no defense.
redline248
AG
For a further derail, I bet real life sword fights ended way faster than what we are used to seeing on tv. All it takes is one mistake.
aTmAg
AG
I will underail...

My only point was that I don't see Arya going away, plot-wise. They spent a lot of time and energy making her into a great fighter. It would be against their pro-feminine slant to have her not be important. She might die, but I'd expect it to be a "warriors death". Maybe Clegane and Brienne use that to motivate themselves to go kick WW butt.
redline248
AG
aTmAg said:

redline248 said:

I'm not sure about your question on Fencing. However, I do not think fencing is very similar to Glegane and Brianne's fight. They were wearing armor and swinging heavy swords and punching each other in the face a lot.

Yeah it's not the best comparison. The only real argument is that Brienne is like the ultimate 1% for female fighters, and it's theoretically possible for someone to exist like that who could go toe to toe with a male equal.
Stive
AG
I've gone 7 years, 9 months, and 25 days of watching this show, reading the Texags threads, laughing at memes.....everything. And never once...in all that time.....did I think about or consider the "pro-feminine" slant that HBO/Martin/B&W are presenting.

ZERO surprise that aTmAg is the one that brings this up.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Unrelated, but if the thread will indulge me one Stannisesque post --

Characters don't have archs, they have arcs.

Thanks, and I wish you good fortune in the wars to come.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
some have arks

aTmAg
AG
I often make people about things that they haven't considered before. It's one of my gifts.
aTmAg
AG
Another one I brought up before was that the bad guys seemed to "win" 90% of the time in until recently. Now it seems that the good guys win 90% of the time. I'm not sure if that is because HBO ran out of source material and started on their own path or what.

But because of this, I think most viewers will be happy on who lives, dies, becomes king, etc.

UNLESS, they are setting themselves up for a sequel. Then all bets are off.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The pool of characters left that could realistically win the throne is way more balanced towards characters we all like, so it would only make sense.

I would be happy with anyone of the following on the Iron Throne:
Jon
Danaerys
Tyrion
Arya
Sansa
Gendry
Davos
Sam
Brienne
Jaime
Jorah
First Page Last Page
Page 25 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.