****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,463 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

Quote:

If you want an echo chamber of 'OMG THAT WAS AWESOME'
That's never been what this board is about, other than Avengers movies, of course.

But this thread is getting into the Nerd Backflip Olympics as yall try to out-whinge each other. Next you're going to be bjtching that their outfits didn't match and were totally unrealistic for fighting zombies and inconsistent with the fashion choices of Season 2.
lol And now you're whinging about whinging .Irony abounds.

(Also, way to just miss all the points with that last sentence.)
bonfarr
AG
pete_claw98 said:

Brienne should have died saving Jaime.

As he grabs Oathkeeper back, Viserion breathes fire and melts it to his gold hand. He then becomes a 2 sword wielding badass again and goes on a tear saving everybody else until the NK is killed.

This also brings those 2 swords back together!!!

Because a Lannister always pays their debts.

Too much?

The gold hand is useless, why didn't they forge a dragon glass sword prosthetic to attach to his stump?
Vernada
AG
bonfarr said:

Yep, haters gonna hate. Lyanna Mormont was a badass and had some of the best moments of the last 3 seasons.
She had some strong moments - but it had run its course. It was time for her to go. She had pretty much just been annoying this season.
bobinator
AG
StringerBell said:

i thought it interesting that dany wasnt supposed to hop on the dragon and go all never ending story meets ww2 dogfight but she got freaked out by the dothraki all dying so she took off which basically made the battle a cluster**** from the start.
I think this is only partially true. I do think she was supposed to wait until they retreated behind the trench and then she was supposed to light the trench. But presumably the rest would have been the same. The two dragons would be mowing down wights as they were trapped against the burning trench.
BowSowy
AG
StringerBell said:

i was wondering why they were looking to her to light the trench when they knew she would likely be flying around

they didnt think she'd actually be flying around.

also makes that dialogue between her and jon make sense.
Could be they were expecting her to be watching for the signal from that hill top, and come light the trench when she got the signal?
smokeythebear
AG
As for Melisandre and Arya, I think many on here are missing the actual context around that moment.

Melisandre, Thoros, Beric, Stannis, Jon, even the Hound; all these characters saw actual miracles performed by the Lord of Light. They didn't know what all of them meant (Mel definitely tried more than the others to interpret them) but they knew they were receiving these miracles for a reason. Stannis was meant to save Jon from the wildling attack on the wall. Thoros was to keep Beric alive long enough to help in the final battle. Jon was brought back to be able to unite all these armies together to battle the WWs. Ultimately, Beric and the Hound (probably long before he realized it) were meant to keep Arya alive. Only when Melisandre sees Arya on the wall at Winterfell, does she realize the significance of her vision looking into Arya's face back in season 3. Melisandre DIDN'T proclaim Arya the PWIP, but simply recognized that the LotL did in fact have a part for her to play as well. The pep talk she gives Arya reminds Arya what she heard in the strategy session, that the only way to win isn't simply survive, but to kill the Night King (remember, Mel wasn't there for the plan). And she knows exactly where he will be. She's killed people with blue eyes before (the waif had blue eyes) so it's not like Melisandre was calling her shot back in season 3. It was simply a reminder of the task at hand and I'm pretty sure the LotL and the God of Death (aka the Many Faced God) are rivals. Arya spent years studying under the MFG and this was completing her arch, rejecting the MFG, and returning back to being Arya Stark of Winterfell instead of "no one".
bangobango
AG

Quote:

If you want an echo chamber of 'OMG THAT WAS AWESOME'
That's never been what this board is about, other than Avengers movies, of course.

But this thread is getting into the Nerd Backflip Olympics as yall try to out-whinge each other. Next you're going to be bjtching that their outfits didn't match and were totally unrealistic for fighting zombies and inconsistent with the fashion choices of Season 2.
Lmao. It isn't something I would normally bring up and it didn't bother me or anything, but since you said this I have to point out that I did think when the zombies were attacking the front line that it was totally unrealistic how all the good guys were wearing different colors. It would have been impossible for the archers to distinguish the good guys from the bad guys.
bonfarr
AG
Vernada said:

bonfarr said:

Yep, haters gonna hate. Lyanna Mormont was a badass and had some of the best moments of the last 3 seasons.
She had some strong moments - but it had run its course. It was time for her to go. She had pretty much just been annoying this season.

When was she annoying? She had one minor scene where she ran into Ser Jorah and wished him good fortune last week then the scene with the Giant and the giant killed her so she did go away.
StringerBell
AG
i think so. i think her job was to track the night king, light the trench, and provide air support but all in an organized fashion.
chase128
AG
I could see that happening. Cersei threatens and that forces the depleted North to prepare for war.
bangobango
AG
WestAustinAg said:

gigemJTH12 said:

On Lyanna Mormont. I do not get the love for her at all.

I am emotionally attached to more characters on this show than all other shows combined and she's not even in the top 10.

Her death was unrealistic even for a fantasy show.

I could have gone without that or without her the entire series tbh.
This is baffling to me. She was the most interesting new character there was last season. She is a reasonably good actor and she provided one of the few strong and noble characters there are in the entire 8 seasons.

I think for a series like this to work there have to be good characters mixed in with evil, inept, foolish, characters. Why? Because that is the way we all perceive life. Some good mixed with bad. The first 6 seasons GoT was a simple story to follow: all good characters die...all plans for goodness and peace to reign are thwarted by the bad characters. This got mind-numbingly boring. It was predictable in its own right.

When the writers began to take over from GRRM the story became a bit more hopeful and noble characters weren't removed the moment they showed decency. In season 7 we had some good people win some rounds amidst lots of losing. Lyanna Mormont stood up in front of the older Houses and made a passionate speech about standing up for House Stark. She moved the room with her reasoning. She changed the outcome of the rest of the series. She defined the moment when Good had a chance again. Not since season 1 episode 1 had there been any hope.

I loved Lyanna...loved her character and her role in taking this series away from GRRM's 100% negative fantasy tome into a broader story of redemption, strength in the face of adversity, unity etc.

chase128
AG
I'm really excited to see how the Jon vs Dany who gets the throne plays out. I really hope we see a lot of that come to a head this week.
smokeythebear
AG
bobinator said:

StringerBell said:

i thought it interesting that dany wasnt supposed to hop on the dragon and go all never ending story meets ww2 dogfight but she got freaked out by the dothraki all dying so she took off which basically made the battle a cluster**** from the start.
I think this is only partially true. I do think she was supposed to wait until they retreated behind the trench and then she was supposed to light the trench. But presumably the rest would have been the same. The two dragons would be mowing down wights as they were trapped against the burning trench.
So they were only going to use their most powerful weapons once all the dothraki, unsullied, and siege weapons were gone? That sounds like an even worse plan than I had initially thought.
bobinator
AG
I don't really see why either Cersei or the army of the North would choose to leave where they are, so I'm going to be interested to see how they ramp up to that.

Dany doesn't really have an army anymore, so it's unlikely she could just decree it. And after what happened to Robb's army it seems unlikely that most in the North would willingly march South.

It also seems far fetched that Cersei would attack Winterfell since a huge part of her strength is the Iron Fleet which wouldn't be able to help an attack on Winterfell.

I could actually envision a scenario where she sends the golden company, but then they arrive in the north and switch sides.
Icecream_Ag
S
bonfarr said:

Vernada said:

bonfarr said:

When was she annoying? She had one minor scene where she ran into Ser Jorah and wished him good fortune last week then the scene with the Giant and the giant killed her so she did go away.
she dared to call out Jon Snow. You must not question Jon Snow.
chase128
AG
Yeah! You bring up some good points.
It's only Wednesday ahhhhh
bangobango
AG
smokeythebear said:

bobinator said:

StringerBell said:

So they were only going to use their most powerful weapons once all the dothraki, unsullied, and siege weapons were gone? That sounds like an even worse plan than I had initially thought.
They straight up said in the second episode that the Dragons would be held back to try to lure in the Night King.

Yeah that was their strategy. It sucked. This is known.
bobinator
AG
I'm not saying it's a great plan, just trying to piece together what we saw happen. It certainly didn't look like she was supposed to take off on the dragon yet, and we know for sure that she was supposed to light the trenches.
bobinator
AG

I think this is a great discussion point. Did their strategy actually suck, or did they know via Bran that it was the only way to win?

Like I said probably 60 pages ago now, it was the battle equivalent of letting 'Bama run over you so that you could catch up and punch the football out of the running back's hands and through the endzone for a touchback... but it worked.

Bran knew the Night King would show himself, so all they had to do was just stall long enough for that to happen.
Trident 88
AG
To clarify:
Dany and Jon were hanging back and staying out of the battle in the hope that the NK would be lured in by Bran.

Once Dany saw what was happening on the battlefield, she joined the fray instead of letting her dragon sit idle and useless. It turns out that she made the right battlefield decision, and Jon followed her.

Jon really isn't cut out to be a general. He's an NCO at best.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Could be they were expecting her to be watching for the signal from that hill top, and come light the trench when she got the signal?
Yes. You actually hear someone say "She can't see."

She was lost up there in the snow/wind unable to see until Mel got the trench lit, then you see it from Dany's view as the fire encircles Winterfell and she moves in.
Urban Ag
AG
bobinator said:

I actually think the one person that could have turned the tide if they'd have died is Brienne.

Episode two was even titled 'A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms' and it REALLY felt like that was her story arc coming full circle.

I can't believe she didn't bite the dust after all of that in the second episode.
She has to hook up with Jamie. That is the close of her character arc. IMO.
Bunk Moreland

Quote:

Yes. You actually hear someone say "She can't see."

She was lost up there in the snow/wind unable to see until Mel got the trench lit, then you see it from Dany's view as the fire encircles Winterfell and she moves in.

The only weird thing about that was she had a crystal clear view in between a huge circle of clouds to see down right on WF and the trench. To the point that if she just looked that way originally she could have seen everything perfectly fine.

Would have been a lot cooler to have see parts of the clouds illuminate upon the trench lighting, then go barreling through them until she was low enough that it finally opened up for her to see clearly. Thought they butchered that part.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
spence10 said:

Luke Smith said:

gigemJTH12 said:

I am emotionally attached to more characters on this show than all other shows combined and she's not even in the top 10.

"Her death was unrealistic even for a fantasy show"

Really. In a show with dragons, ice zombies, shadow demon babies, flaming swords, people being brought back to life, huge wolves, a dude that can control other dudes and see through time, etc... it's a little girl that acts tough that kills the realism for you?

You have other children that stabbed some old guy to death and helped blow up the city. Oh yeah that's about right.

But one little girl get's picked up and stabs an undead giant in the eye, and that is what breaks the realism in the show for you.

JFC people.

There's a realistic expectation even in fantasy shows/movies/books.

Would it be ok to you if Robin Arryn beat The Hound in a sword fight?

Depends how they shot it, maybe the hound is drunk, stumbled and robin gets lucky somehow that it nicks his jugular and he just runs as the hound bleeds out trying to chase him and calling him a cun t.
bobinator
AG
I really don't think that's necessary, but now that she lived I'm sure it will happen. I thought her arc would have been great had she died in battle as a knight.
smokeythebear
AG
Honestly, the strategy around the trench was so god awful I'm not even going to waste time arguing about it. The only thing I'll say is that I wish Greyworm had gone out heroically collapsing the bridge or lighting the trench himself. He absolutely should have died in that battle.
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

The whinging has gone off the rails. Someone start a whinging GOT thread.

Idk about anyone else but I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that today I learned the words "whinge" and "whinging". I thought people kept misspelling "whine" and "whining".
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
smokeythebear
AG
Mantis Toboggan MD said:

Teddy Perkins said:

Idk about anyone else but I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that today I learned the words "whinge" and "whinging". I thought people kept misspelling "whine" and "whining".
Welcome to season 7
BowSowy
AG
Mantis Toboggan MD said:

Teddy Perkins said:

Me too
bobinator
AG
Greyworm and Brienne were 1A and 1B on my "definitely going to die" list because of their treatment in Episode 2.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
It's the queens english.
bobinator
AG
I've been a huge fan of 'whinging' since the Ricky Gervais Show podcasts.
Liquid Wrench
It's OK, I looked it up after seeing it used on other boards in the past. I also kept seeing people apparently misspell it as "winging," and wondered if I dared look up "winging" on urban dictionary.
bonfarr
AG
I'm going to laugh hysterically at all the people that will be crying after the final episode because there was too much of a happy ending.
aTmAg
AG
WestAustinAg said:

gigemJTH12 said:

This is baffling to me. She was the most interesting new character there was last season. She is a reasonably good actor and she provided one of the few strong and noble characters there are in the entire 8 seasons.

I think for a series like this to work there have to be good characters mixed in with evil, inept, foolish, characters. Why? Because that is the way we all perceive life. Some good mixed with bad. The first 6 seasons GoT was a simple story to follow: all good characters die...all plans for goodness and peace to reign are thwarted by the bad characters. This got mind-numbingly boring. It was predictable in its own right.

When the writers began to take over from GRRM the story became a bit more hopeful and noble characters weren't removed the moment they showed decency. In season 7 we had some good people win some rounds amidst lots of losing. Lyanna Mormont stood up in front of the older Houses and made a passionate speech about standing up for House Stark. She moved the room with her reasoning. She changed the outcome of the rest of the series. She defined the moment when Good had a chance again. Not since season 1 episode 1 had there been any hope.

I loved Lyanna...loved her character and her role in taking this series away from GRRM's 100% negative fantasy tome into a broader story of redemption, strength in the face of adversity, unity etc.
Why make her a 10 year old girl? That's the part I can't get past. If they made it a talking racoon instead, would you be saying, "that talking racoon had a point and turned it into a broader story of redemption"? Or would you be asking, "why the hell would that make it a talking racoon?"
First Page Last Page
Page 217 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.