****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,534 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Teddy Perkins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
More background on Catspaw being Lightbringer and the AA prophecy.
bonfarr
AG
Meh, I am happy to leave the writing to the writers. A mortally wounded Theon looking to Bran and smiling when Bran tells him he's a good man is terribly cheesy.
Hulla Baller
AG
bonfarr said:

Meh, I am happy to leave the writing to the writers. A mortally wounded Theon looking to Bran and smiling when Bran tells him he's a good man is terribly cheesy.
Technically, he wasn't mortally wounded yet when Bran told him that.
bonfarr
AG
Hulla Baller said:

bonfarr said:

Technically, he wasn't mortally wounded yet when Bran told him that.

I wasreacting to MC Swag's suggested rewrites not what actually happened on the show.
McInnis 03
AG
Bran could be the PTWP, AA himself. He set into motion every single event that caused the fall of the NK. Probably doing so even as he was warged by the Weirwood tree while Theon was guarding him. He's responsible for giving the dagger to Arya, in effect being the reason that the darkness was removed.
Eso si, Que es
bangobango said:

Eso si, Que es said:

bangobango said:

aTmAg said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Yes no doubt it added to the emotion... and for budget reasons made it easier.

But purely from a watcher point of view more light would have been better in several places. The Dothraki attack for one thing... they got off cheap there really and kill 100K without showing anything. then they roll in the clouds and obscured everything.

I get why - both cost and tension. Just saying it sucked that way for some of it.
I think the clouds and storm was a great tactical move by the NK (he seemed smarter than the good guys). And he had done it in the past, so it was consistent. I would have expected him to do that even if it was during the day. Especially when you are going against dragons. Before that storm, Jon and Dany were doing pretty damned good against the zombies. It probably would have been a close fight if it wasn't for that storm taking the dragons out of the mix.

You are insufferable on this thread with all the goal tending. You don't have to respond to every single criticism.
Just wanted to point out that while he has 56 posts since the episode aired, you are right behind him at 43 posts.

Most hockey games have 2 goal tenders

Just sayin....

Just want to point out it is ridiculous you counted that.
Just wanted to point out that is another glove side save

M.C. Swag
AG
bonfarr said:

Ah but the 12 yr old girl surviving a right hook from a giant, getting back up to charge said giant, followed by what was made to look and sound like an actual coke can being crushed, and somehow managing to stab the giant into the eye (and thus killing it) wasn't cheesy at all and in fact was terrific writing.

You can just as easily take out the line by Bran and the scene would still play better in every way.
HtownAg92
AG
At this point I couldn't give 2 flaming s**** about the prophecy, who AA is, Lightbringer, etc. The show paid tribute to the "Song of Ice and Fire" by telling the story through the life of Jon Snow. But the show is called "Game of Thrones", which is a different focus. It is about the fight to gain rule of the realm. That's why the last three episodes will focus on that and the side-story has been concluded. The WW aren't coming back, the NK is not still alive and there will not be a AA moment when the prophecy is fulfilled by killing him.

This would be like wondering (and being pissed off) why the Lord of the Rings trilogy skipped the song of Tom Bombadil and the scouring of the Shire. It was part of the books, but didn't lend much to the greater (and more entertaining) story. Here, the show-runners gave a lot of attention to the WW story, which even went beyond the books, but now will move on to the greater overall story.
My Dad Earl
AG
FIDO95 said:

For all those still complaining about prophecies that didn't pan out and story lines never developed, just remember this: Robert's rebellion was built on a lie.

The point is that a lot of people in the world (ours the theirs) are running around with the firm belief in things that aren't true. Perhaps all the all the lord of light is all just make believe to make sense of something no one really understood. I suppose I have to throw all my Howland Reed and Dawn theories in the funeral pyre as well.
Exactly my thinking as well. As I stated earlier, Melisandre and the red priestesses might been prophecying a false prophecy all along, just like she's whiffed on mostly everything else throughout the entire series.
M.C. Swag
AG
My Dad Earl said:

FIDO95 said:

For all those still complaining about prophecies that didn't pan out and story lines never developed, just remember this: Robert's rebellion was built on a lie.

The point is that a lot of people in the world (ours the theirs) are running around with the firm belief in things that aren't true. Perhaps all the all the lord of light is all just make believe to make sense of something no one really understood. I suppose I have to throw all my Howland Reed and Dawn theories in the funeral pyre as well.
Exactly my thinking as well. As I stated earlier, Melisandre and the red priestesses might have gotten the prophecy wrong, just like she's whiffed on mostly everything else throughout the entire series.
Robert's rebellion had nothing to do with prophecy. Robert's rebellion was just another turn of the wheel in a superficial war for power. Truth doesn't matter in that context. It's 'children playing at a game' as Jon Snow has said.
My Dad Earl
AG
M.C. Swag said:

My Dad Earl said:

FIDO95 said:

Exactly my thinking as well. As I stated earlier, Melisandre and the red priestesses might have gotten the prophecy wrong, just like she's whiffed on mostly everything else throughout the entire series.
Robert's rebellion had nothing to do with prophecy. Robert's rebellion was just another turn of the wheel in a superficial war for power. Truth doesn't matter in that context. It's 'children playing at a game' as Jon Snow has said.
I think you're missing the point. The post said, "The point is that a lot of people in the world (ours the theirs) are running around with the firm belief in things that aren't true."

My theory is that there was never going to be an Azor Ahai in the first place and it was all built on a lie that Melisandre, Stannis, Beric and everybody else, including us, fell for. It is just a "prophecy" however, and not a statement of fact.
bonfarr
AG
M.C. Swag said:

bonfarr said:

Ah but the 12 yr old girl surviving a right hook from a giant, getting back up to charge said giant, followed by what was made to look and sound like an actual coke can being crushed, and somehow managing to stab the giant into the eye (and thus killing it) wasn't cheesy at all and in fact was terrific writing.

You can just as easily take out the line by Bran and the scene would still play better in every way.

The Mormont kid stabbing the giant in tbe eye was Boss and one of the best scenes of the night IMO.
M.C. Swag
AG
HtownAg92 said:

At this point I couldn't give 2 flaming s**** about the prophecy, who AA is, Lightbringer, etc. The show paid tribute to the "Song of Ice and Fire" by telling the story through the life of Jon Snow. But the show is called "Game of Thrones", which is a different focus. It is about the fight to gain rule of the realm. That's why the last three episodes will focus on that and the side-story has been concluded. The WW aren't coming back, the NK is not still alive and there will not be a AA moment when the prophecy is fulfilled by killing him.

This would be like wondering (and being pissed off) why the Lord of the Rings trilogy skipped the song of Tom Bombadil and the scouring of the Shire. It was part of the books, but didn't lend much to the greater (and more entertaining) story. Here, the show-runners gave a lot of attention to the WW story, which even went beyond the books, but now will move on to the greater overall story.
Dude, 'Game of Thrones' was meant as a slight. It's nothing more than a literal game. Throughout the show (and books) countless references and plot points are setup to establish the 'GREAT WAR.' Who sits on the iron throne for any particular decade(s) isn't of actual consequence.
Madman
AG
About Arya not being the correct height etc.

https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Many-Faced_God

Read the last part, not really a spoiler but explains more about the face taking and use.

Cant get the SP tag to work.

Edit again again again

The worshipers of the Many Face God have actual magical abilities per wiki fandom. See link.
chase128
AG
Looking to episode 4, how is Dany going to convince Jon (and the North) to ride south to KL and fight for the Iron Throne?
I would imagine anyone who survived that hellhole last week wouldn't want anything to do with KL.
aTmAg
AG
bonfarr said:

M.C. Swag said:

bonfarr said:

The Mormont kid stabbing the giant in tbe eye was Boss and one of the best scenes of the night IMO.
I agree with Swag on that one. She was over the top. She should have been in the crypts with the rest of the children.
M.C. Swag
AG
My Dad Earl said:

M.C. Swag said:

My Dad Earl said:

FIDO95 said:

I think you're missing the point. The post said, "The point is that a lot of people in the world (ours the theirs) are running around with the firm belief in things that aren't true."

My theory is that there was never going to be an Azor Ahai in the first place and it was all built on a lie that Melisandre, Stannis, Beric and everybody else, including us, fell for. It is just a "prophecy" however, and not a statement of fact.
I didn't miss the point. I wanted to push back against the comparions of Robert's rebellion to the actual prophecy. They're apples and oranges. Robert's rebellion wasn't even a 'blip' on the radar for the WWs who have been held at bay by a 700 ft wall for over 8,000 years.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Kill the colon.
HtownAg92
AG
M.C. Swag said:

HtownAg92 said:

Dude, 'Game of Thrones' was meant as a slight. It's nothing more than a literal game. Throughout the show (and books) countless references and plot points are setup to establish the 'GREAT WAR.' Who sits on the iron throne for any particular decade(s) isn't of actual consequence.
But the "game" has been the focus for 80+% of the series, with the WW battle being in the background and only really coming into play in the last season or so. Yes, we had to think about it and get glimpses of it with Jon's NW story, but the one constant of the show has been the alliances, back-stabbing, marriages, betrayals, political maneuvers, etc. that are plays in the game.
bonfarr
AG
aTmAg said:

bonfarr said:

M.C. Swag said:

bonfarr said:

I agree with Swag on that one. She was over the top. She should have been in the crypts with the rest of the children.

Not if you know the backstory on the Mormonts, their women are known for being fierce warriors and they have been fighting wildlings for centuries. There is no way she would have sit out the fight.
bobinator
AG
Good morning everyone, I assume we're all in agreement now?
M.C. Swag
AG
bonfarr said:

aTmAg said:

bonfarr said:

M.C. Swag said:

bonfarr said:

Not if you know the backstory on the Mormonts, their women are known for being fierce warriors and they have been fighting wildlings for centuries. There is no way she would have sit out the fight.
lol I'm well aware of the backstory. Lyanna Mormont as portrayed in the show was 100% fan service in the worst way. Make her brave and loyal, fine. She wants to be in the fight? Go for it. But she's not taking down a f'n giant and she didn't deserve that send off (Edd should have gotten it of the people who died as an homage to Pyp and Grenn's death).
El Chupacabra
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

claym711 said:

Champ Bailey said:

claym711 said:

So half the entire show was built up around winter is coming and NK's army, and they're wiped out in an episode that is a combo of LOTR, Top Gun, and Jurassic Park - even down to the kitchen scene.

Bran literally does nothing. Takes a nap or something.

Every important character except Jorah is saved at the last possible second throughout the episode.

Nothing original or surprising.

This show has just become big budget pop culture. It's still entertaining, but neither the plot, writing, or acting are special.

This was posted yesterday, but if you didn't see it:

Was wondering how she ran past a few thousand zombies and all of NK's buddies undetected.

They have been alluding to/foreshadowing her super sneaky quiet ninja skills since literally the start of the show.

In a fantasy world where ice zombies are fighting alongside regular zombies against dragons and other supernatural characters...including a girl who can change faces...I'm not too worried about the face changing girl, who has been trained extensively, being able to sneak past ice zombies.
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

I didn't miss the point. I wanted to push back against the comparions of Robert's rebellion to the actual prophecy. They're apples and oranges. Robert's rebellion wasn't even a 'blip' on the radar for the WWs who have been held at bay by a 700 ft wall for over 8,000 years.
What was the actual prophesy?

Which one of these characters was born amidst "sat and smoke?"

Which one was born under a "bleeding star?"

chase128
AG
I forget, did Jon pledge to help Dany if she helped him first?
M.C. Swag
AG
Belton Ag said:

Quote:

What was the actual prophesy?

Which one of these characters was born amidst "sat and smoke?"

Which one was born under a "bleeding star?"
I've already posted it before. Dany is the most obvious to both of those. She was 'reborn' with her dragons in the middle of a smoking pyre in the desert. And quite literally there was a red (bleeding) comet shooting across the sky when it happend.
bonfarr
AG
Edd is a completely forgettable character while Lyanna Mormont is not. Giving Edd a glorious death does nothing for the typical fan/viewer and the audience loved the little girl.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
aTmAg
AG
bonfarr said:

aTmAg said:

bonfarr said:

M.C. Swag said:

bonfarr said:

That alone is a joke. Like I have said in the past, GoT's makes women many times more stronger than they actually are. If they made combat somewhat realistic, Brianne, Arya, all the wildling women, etc. would have been dead long ago. I'm fine on suspending disbelief on most of that, but I can't suspend it enough to buy having a 10 year old (or whatever) ordering 40 year old war veterans around and killing a giant.
M.C. Swag
AG
bonfarr said:

Edd is a completely forgettable character while Lyanna Mormont is not. Giving Edd a glorious death does nothing for the typical fan/viewer and the audience loved the little girl.
This take blows my mind.
bobinator
AG
I do think a quick point of clarification is needed here. 'Kill a giant' is kind of overstating what happened. She stabbed a big wight in the eye with dragonglass.

I think if we're going to nitpick that scene, the question is why a soulless zombie would bother to pick her up and squeeze her when it could have just stepped on her. The wights don't really have any emotion so it doesn't make much sense that one would stop and have a really dramatic kill.

But good grief, I've had a lot of issues with this show the last couple of seasons but some of y'all are way off the deep end. Mormont killing the giant was fun, who cares if it absolutely makes sense, it doesn't affect the larger plot any.
LB12Diamond
AG
I'm thinking all survivors of that battle will now or should be closer to each other and sides even stronger together. They would all be dead if Dany didn't bring her army. Her army took major losses supporting them. If they do not support her that would be pretty bad.
EFE
AG
Maybe it has something to do with the WW controlling those that they've turned. That the wights aren't just mindlessly attacking the living, but are being controlled by their WW. Would also lend some credence to the WW lieutenants sitting back from the fray so they could control their wights with full attention and not have to be distracted by fighting.
bangobango
AG
HtownAg92 said:

You are comparing the white walkers in A Song of Ice and Fire to Tom Bombadil in LOTR?
MW03
AG
bobinator said:

Good morning everyone, I assume we're all in agreement now?

First Page Last Page
Page 213 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.