****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,398 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think it's a lot simpler than that. I think the WW are hanging back because they know if they die, then all the Wights under their control will fall as well, and seeing as how their plan is to basically tidal wave Winterfell, having them out there on the field wouldn't make much difference. Especially since they know there are dragonglass and valyrian steel weapons in the mix.

I don't think they're literally controlling each wight, they can just more or less control their general direction.
bonfarr
AG
aTmAg said:

bonfarr said:

aTmAg said:

bonfarr said:

M.C. Swag said:

bonfarr said:

Meh, I am happy to leave the writing to the writers. A mortally wounded Theon looking to Bran and smiling when Bran tells him he's a good man is terribly cheesy.
Ah but the 12 yr old girl surviving a right hook from a giant, getting back up to charge said giant, followed by what was made to look and sound like an actual coke can being crushed, and somehow managing to stab the giant into the eye (and thus killing it) wasn't cheesy at all and in fact was terrific writing.

You can just as easily take out the line by Bran and the scene would still play better in every way.

The Mormont kid stabbing the giant in tbe eye was Boss and one of the best scenes of the night IMO.
I agree with Swag on that one. She was over the top. She should have been in the crypts with the rest of the children.

Not if you know the backstory on the Mormonts, their women are known for being fierce warriors and they have been fighting wildlings for centuries. There is no way she would have sit out the fight.
That alone is a joke. Like I have said in the past, GoT's makes women many times more stronger than they actually are. If they made combat somewhat realistic, Brianne, Arya, all the wildling women, etc. would have been dead long ago. I'm fine on suspending disbelief on most of that, but I can't suspend it enough to buy having a 10 year old (or whatever) ordering 40 year old war veterans around and killing a giant.

You and Swag should have been hired as Consultants of "Keepin It Real" by the producers I guess.
gigemJTH12
AG
On Lyanna Mormont. I do not get the love for her at all.

I am emotionally attached to more characters on this show than all other shows combined and she's not even in the top 10.

Her death was unrealistic even for a fantasy show.

I could have gone without that or without her the entire series tbh.
HtownAg92
AG
bangobango said:

HtownAg92 said:

At this point I couldn't give 2 flaming s**** about the prophecy, who AA is, Lightbringer, etc. The show paid tribute to the "Song of Ice and Fire" by telling the story through the life of Jon Snow. But the show is called "Game of Thrones", which is a different focus. It is about the fight to gain rule of the realm. That's why the last three episodes will focus on that and the side-story has been concluded. The WW aren't coming back, the NK is not still alive and there will not be a AA moment when the prophecy is fulfilled by killing him.

This would be like wondering (and being pissed off) why the Lord of the Rings trilogy skipped the song of Tom Bombadil and the scouring of the Shire. It was part of the books, but didn't lend much to the greater (and more entertaining) story. Here, the show-runners gave a lot of attention to the WW story, which even went beyond the books, but now will move on to the greater overall story.

You are comparing the white walkers in A Song of Ice and Fire to Tom Bombadil in LOTR?
No, I'm comparing the book focus on AA, prophecy, flaming swords, etc. as something the show can leave out.
bangobango
AG
I think she is getting so much hate bc it's just the easiest example to point to. If the rest of the episode would've been stronger, then most wouldn't have said much about it, but as it is she is just the largest shining example of the writers abandoning good story telling to instead go for cheap pops from the fans.
bangobango
AG
HtownAg92 said:

bangobango said:

HtownAg92 said:

At this point I couldn't give 2 flaming s**** about the prophecy, who AA is, Lightbringer, etc. The show paid tribute to the "Song of Ice and Fire" by telling the story through the life of Jon Snow. But the show is called "Game of Thrones", which is a different focus. It is about the fight to gain rule of the realm. That's why the last three episodes will focus on that and the side-story has been concluded. The WW aren't coming back, the NK is not still alive and there will not be a AA moment when the prophecy is fulfilled by killing him.

This would be like wondering (and being pissed off) why the Lord of the Rings trilogy skipped the song of Tom Bombadil and the scouring of the Shire. It was part of the books, but didn't lend much to the greater (and more entertaining) story. Here, the show-runners gave a lot of attention to the WW story, which even went beyond the books, but now will move on to the greater overall story.

You are comparing the white walkers in A Song of Ice and Fire to Tom Bombadil in LOTR?
No, I'm comparing the book focus on AA, prophecy, flaming swords, etc. as something the show can leave out.

But you're saying it takes up as much of the story as Tom Bombadil and the scouring of the Shire in LOTR? Have you read LOTR or Ice and Fire?

I'd say it is more like ignoring Aragon as the King of Gondor than it is either of those two events you referenced.
bobinator
AG
I guess I don't mind the little moments like that as long as they don't have some kind of impact on the overall plot of the story.

It's hard to please everyone and that moment was a little silly, but a lot people (especially those that don't sit on the boards all week discussing theories and whatnot) liked it, so whatever.
M.C. Swag
AG
bangobango said:

I think she is getting so much hate bc it's just the easiest example to point to. If the rest of the episode would've been stronger, then most wouldn't have said much about it, but as it is she is just the largest shining example of the writers abandoning good story telling to instead go for cheap pops from the fans.
And also in comparison to the other death moments that were shown. She actually got to go out doing something tangible whereas a guy like Edd (who's been around since season 1 and took over the mantle of Watch Commander) just got a rando knife in the back. I don't mind that Edd got a rando knife in the back, but don't give preferential treatment to his meme character that is lyanna.
gigemJTH12
AG
He did die saving Sam which has some emotion and significance to the series. But I agree with you. Just wasn't completely random.
bobinator
AG
I did have a little problem with how Edd went out. I don't think the character really deserved a heroic death or anything, he's fine, but not a big character, but he is still the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch right?

On an in-the-weeds note, is there even going to be a Night's Watch now?

Is it like 'well done mates, you all get your names back and pardons if you did any bad stuff.'?
M.C. Swag
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

He did die saving Sam which has some emotion and significance to the series. But I agree with you. Just wasn't completely random.
It's an expression. And based on the other 3 moments where sam was swarmed with Wights but managed to escape unscathed, unnecessary as well.

btw, does anyone recall what happened to that wight who killed Edd? Nothing. Sam ran away.
gigemJTH12
AG
Sam's role in the episode is one of the hardest things about the episode for me to swallow. He completely *****ed out and went against like 10 years of him becoming more of a man.

Hes a top 3 character for me personally and that episode was horrible for him.

Really hope he has some type of redemption. Even then, that cowardice last week was way over the top
redline248
AG
Another example of the writers not really knowing their own characters.
Blanco Jimenez
AG
bobinator said:

I did have a little problem with how Edd went out. I don't think the character really deserved a heroic death or anything, he's fine, but not a big character, but he is still the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch right?

Is it like 'well done mates, you all get your names back and pardons if you did any bad stuff.'?
Are there even brothers of the Night's Watch alive anymore?
StringerBell
AG
is there a point to the nights watch given that there's no more wall?
bobinator
AG
I dunno, was it? I actually think the other way. He's not a fighter. The best thing he can do to help Jon is just to survive.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Has it occurred to anyone else that Winter fell at Winterfell? Hmm....
Rocagnante
M.C. Swag
AG
StringerBell said:

is there a point to the nights watch given that there's no more wall?
lol no, but wasn't the point. At the time Jon left, he gave Edd that position. Meaning he held an important title in the war against the WWs. If anyone deserved a death moment over Lyanna, it was him.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Blanco Jimenez said:

bobinator said:

Are there even brothers of the Night's Watch alive anymore?
I'm just assuming about 90% of everybody died. With the Nights Watch being some of the lesser trained soldiers and their commander falling I doubt there's anyone left.
gigemJTH12
AG
bobinator said:

I dunno, was it? I actually think the other way. He's not a fighter. The best thing he can do to help Jon is just to survive.

Then they should have had him in the crypt. He's already made some kills. Complete cowardice was the wrong move. He was the biggest ***** of the episode. Put him in the crypt and kill a raised Stark going after Sam Jr. anything other than what they did with him.
bobinator
AG
Sam was on the front lines with the Night's Watch and made it out alive so you'd think there'd be at least a few others.

I don't think it really matters and I doubt we get much of an answer from the show, I just thought a scene next episode where a few of them find each other in the crypts and are like 'So... now what...? Can we like... go home?' would be funny.
M.C. Swag
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

bobinator said:

Then they should have had him in the crypt. He's already made some kills. Complete cowardice was the wrong move. He was the biggest ***** of the episode. Put him in the crypt and kill a raised Stark going after Sam Jr. anything other than what they did with him.
Super duper love
jtstanley4621
AG
One of the things that I felt a little let down about is how Euron is in the show versus the books. He's got a freaking horn from Valyria that's said to bind dragons to your will! He's much more of a threat in the books than he is in the show. Right now he's basically second in command behind Cersei.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
haha, yes that would be

I mean, first off, it would be ****ty for them to not be pardoned after everything they've gone through.
bobinator
AG
I disagree with you on this. He wants to be brave so he's standing with his brothers, and he's had some brave moments, but in the midst of that kind of overwhelming battle he couldn't handle it.

I actually like that because people have different reactions in those situations. Even the Hound panicked for a while.
bobinator
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

One of the big theories out there is that's how Winterfell got its name originally, is that it's where Winter fell during the last long night.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

One of the things that I felt a little let down about is how Euron is in the show versus the books. He's got a freaking horn from Valyria that's said to bind dragons to your will! He's much more of a threat in the books than he is in the show. Right now he's basically second in command behind Cersei.
I feel like they've channeled the Kettleblacks from the books into show version of Euron. They're sort of stupid, very cocky, all about nailing Cersei, but vicious, cruel warriors as well.

RogerEnright
bobinator said:

I actually like that because people have different reactions in those situations. Even the Hound panicked for a while.
I expected that the Hound would say something about fire, or is that mostly just in the book?
My Dad Earl
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Sam's role in the episode is one of the hardest things about the episode for me to swallow. He completely *****ed out and went against like 10 years of him becoming more of a man.

Really hope he has some type of redemption. Even then, that cowardice last week was way over the top
What did you expect him to be like? Conan the Barbarian all of the sudden? He didn't cower, he fought just like everyone else out there. I thought he was exactly in character the entire time. Sure, he was terrified at the beginning, but so was everybody else. Sam isn't supposed to be a badass.
aTmAg
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

On Lyanna Mormont. I do not get the love for her at all.

I am emotionally attached to more characters on this show than all other shows combined and she's not even in the top 10.

Her death was unrealistic even for a fantasy show.

I could have gone without that or without her the entire series tbh.
Agreed. If you were holding up a small animal that is trying to kill you (like a scorpion or something) would you hold it within reach of your eyeball? Hell no. That was ridiculous. Didn't ruin the episode or anything, though.
M.C. Swag
AG
My Dad Earl said:

gigemJTH12 said:

What did you expect him to be like? Conan the Barbarian all of the sudden? He didn't cower, he fought just like everyone else out there. I thought he was exactly in character the entire time. Sure, he was terrified at the beginning, but so was everybody else. Sam isn't supposed to be a badass.
No. And on my re-watch I specifically looked to see what Sam did...he stabbed exactly 1 wight. He ran from the wight that killed edd. Was shown overwhelmed three times. And only stabbed 1 wight on screen. He should have been dead if that's the situation the show runners wanted to put him in.

Quote:

Sam isn't supposed to be a badass
He already IS badass. He faced a WW. He faced a gang of rapers. He faced an incurable and infectious disease.

But he ran from the wight that killed one of his best friends and who moments ago had saved him.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
chase128 said:

Looking to episode 4, how is Dany going to convince Jon (and the North) to ride south to KL and fight for the Iron Throne?
I would imagine anyone who survived that hellhole last week wouldn't want anything to do with KL.
Do you not know how monarchies work?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

It's not the first time, hence the name.
bobinator
AG
That's definitely in the show. I don't even think he had to say it, it was pretty obvious all the fire was bothering him.
First Page Last Page
Page 214 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.