****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,479 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Vernada
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Vernada said:

Musical montage to get us from Winterfell to Kings Landing.

Im thinking Pod singing like Eastwood in Paint Your Wagon.
s13fenton
I'm thinking the penultimate episode of the season is when it is going to go down at King's Landing with episode 6 serving as an epilogue or a "picking up the pieces and looking forward to the future of Westeros" type of episode to close out the series.
redline248
AG
As far as the show is concerned, I agree that the prophesies have been cast aside.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Fixed maybe...

(click to enlarge)
DCPD158
AG
I think the White Walkers did not get involved in the battle because their magic was needed to help call and maintain the blizzard.
Company I-1, Ord-Ords '85 -12thFan and Websider-
The Dog Lord
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

trueaggie2782 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Interesting. That's the first complaint I've seen from an HBO viewer. I guess it must be the TV's, then.

I literally bought my TV on a Best Buy special, it's an Insignia without any fancy settings, and it honestly looked perfectly fine for me.

It's really odd how it was fine for some and awful for others.

Here's an example. On my TCL, when the Dothraki were charging, all I saw were the flames from their swords. The rest was washed out blackness. When I watched it again on my LG, I could see each individual horse/rider as well as the dead hoard that they were approaching. It was mind boggling what I missed on Sunday night.

Okay this is interesting. I am part of the "I saw things fine" camp, and I didn't see the dead that the Dothraki were approaching. I haven't watched on HBO Go yet so I'm very excited now.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I too thought I had seen things just fine. Just watched it on HBO Go though and it's definitely lighter. Didn't make a huge difference, but you do see some little things with the initial charge (or at least see them sooner).
bangobango
AG
aTmAg said:

I think arguing the intricacies of the prophecies in the books is a waste of time at this point. If it's true that GRRM did not have a NK and never intended to have one then there couldn't have been an Arya moment where she single handedly saved the entire (living) world with a single stab. Even if the vampire rule still applied to the WWs in the books, you'd still need to kill all of them to win the war. So in the book, no one person could have done something like that. So at best, the AA would be some sort of general who leads an army to kill the zombie army. (Unless some Merlin dude appeared out of nowhere with some super spell that killed them.. which would be super lame and a big copout on GRRM's part)

So to me, Jon Snow is still the closest thing to that that we've got to a general capable of being credited to defeating the winter. It just so happened that he has a sister that pulled off something more amazing than anybody in the books was supposed to. But somebody had to do it. And I think that having Jon Snow do it would have been laughably predictable and stupid.

Have you even read the books?
Vernada
AG
s13fenton said:

I'm thinking the penultimate episode of the season is when it is going to go down at King's Landing with episode 6 serving as an epilogue or a "picking up the pieces and looking forward to the future of Westeros" type of episode to close out the series.

Final episode. Battle has been raging. Jon walks up to Iron Throne. He's covered in blood. Sits on throne. Smirks. Screen fades to black.
smokeythebear
AG
Jesus f'ing Christ, can y'all please stop talking about the resolution/lighting? Twenty ****ing pages of *****ing and complaining about how dark it is. No one cares.

Edit: I get that people had issues, but we don't need 1,000 posts of everyone saying the same ******* thing.
bangobango
AG
redline248 said:

As far as the show is concerned, I agree that the prophesies have been cast aside.

But they didn't, and that's what makes it so damn annoying. Melisandre's entire stoey arch was finding the PWIP. And the way they have Melisandre act in that episode is what drives me absolutely bat **** crazy about it all because it is completely inconsistent with her previous actions and dialogue..
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Pretty sure a lot of people care, that's why they're posting about it?
Vernada
AG
smokeythebear said:

Jesus f'ing Christ, can y'all please stop talking about the resolution/lighting? Twenty ****ing pages of *****ing and complaining about how dark it is. No one cares.

It was kinda a very key part of the episode.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Finally watched it today. Gotta say it was the worst of the three episodes this season. Not a bad episode by any means, but most definitely the most disappointing. Hoping they finish the remainder of the series strong.
Humorous Username
AG
Who knew Texags was populated by so many amateur cinematographers.
Liquid Wrench
bangobango said:

redline248 said:

But they didn't, and that's what makes it so damn annoying. Melisandre's entire stoey arch was finding the PWIP. And the way they have Melisandre act in that episode is what drives me absolutely bat **** crazy about it all because it is completely inconsistent with her previous actions and dialogue..
Are you going off of what was in the show, or the books, or the fan theories and wikis?

Because I think - in the show - we found out Melisandre could be completely wrong about things too.

And the prophecies were never ever discussed in the shows anywhere NEAR as much as they were on fan theory/fanfiction boards.
Humorous Username
AG
annie88 said:

Love that Ned is in the background.
bangobango
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

bangobango said:

redline248 said:

Are you going off of what was in the show, or the books, or the fan theories and wikis?

Because I think - in the show - we found out Melisandre could be completely wrong about things too.

And the prophecies were never ever discussed in the shows anywhere NEAR as much as they were on fan theory/fanfiction boards.

I'm just going off the show.

Yes, she was wrong, but they at least would show us: 1. Her realization she was mistaken;
2. Her reasoning for her new belief that somebody else was PWIP.

Honestly, if they'd had her trying to coax Jon or Dany to the final showdown and then Arya comes out of nowhere for the win, that would've been a 1000x better bc then we'd see her reaction to realizing she was wrong again and it would've actually made some freaking sense. Then you could just say that the prophecy was all a red herring all along.

As it is, the writers are basically saying g the prophecy stuff is all legit, it was just Arya and not Snow, and none for that makes any sense. And them going back to the "blue eyes" line and trying to pass that off as her already knowing is nothing but complete BS.
smokeythebear
AG
bangobango said:

redline248 said:

Why can't Jon still be the PWIP even though Arya got the final blow? Jon banned everyone together. Jon mined the dragon glass. Jon showed Dany the real threat and convinced her to bring her army to the north. Jon killed two White Walkers and discovered their weakness. Jon rode a dragon and torched thousands of undead. Jon dismounted the Night King from Vyserion in an epic air battle, making him more vulnerable. Jon is distracting a wounded Vyserion who was protecting the entrance to the weirwood tree.

Without Jon doing every single one of those things, Arya has no chance.

How often have the Starks repeated that line "When the snow falls and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives". Ned went to Kings Landing to do **** on his own, gets killed. Rob leads an army with some success but him and Cat can't get along which gets them killed. Rickon gets split up from his brother and gets killed. Jon SHOULD have been killed in BotB if not for Sansa saving his ass. Jon, Sansa, Arya, and Bran all have to team up and work together (Bran with the plan, Sansa doing all the logistics ****, Jon being bad at strategy but killing lots of wights, and Arya being the master assassin). Still, Arya getting the final blow doesn't negate the fact that everyone was completely hopeless without 7 seasons of Jon saying "I saw the Night King, I looked into his eyes" and convincing everyone of the real threat.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
smokeythebear said:

Ironic username is ironic.
AtlAg05
AG
The expectation for the episode was losing a bunch of the main characters. All those scenes where they were seemingly being overrun were just playing with everyone's emotions. They are purposely misdirecting our expectations making some characters seem safe. But in my opinion it's building up that anticipation on who's next.

We already have a pretty good idea that not everyone will make it. I believe Martin revealed that to the writers at some point, who lives and who dies. We know for a fact Martin will kill off favorites.

So we are on that roller coaster with each scene wondering if that will be the last. Just imagine Bronn following through with his charge to kill the brothers, I'd imagine that wouldn't be a 1v1 sword fight but a crossbow from the dark. I don't see everyone surviving until a final
battle in KL and then seeing them die, some will have to die in the journey.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

They can't show up in KL till episode 6.

(Y'all don't post if you know when that battle is. That's a spoiler IMO.)

I think they collect their thoughts and troops this episode and head out at the end. Then we get episode 6 a month later as they show up to KL.

Doubt we have another filler episode. We've had basically every reunion and convo that is needed. No need to do it again. They'll recover form the battle but maybe skip some time in there to get moving.

And the penultimate episode has always been the big action for GOT so episode 5 is more likely.

Episode 6 may be fallout from that and wrap up and epilogue.

Remember each is also 80ish minutes. So we have like 4 episodes left in length.
bangobango
AG
smokeythebear said:

bangobango said:

redline248 said:

Why can't Jon still be the PWIP even though Arya got the final blow? Jon banned everyone together. Jon mined the dragon glass. Jon showed Dany the real threat and convinced her to bring her army to the north. Jon killed two White Walkers and discovered their weakness. Jon rode a dragon and torched thousands of undead. Jon dismounted the Night King from Vyserion in an epic air battle, making him more vulnerable. Jon is distracting a wounded Vyserion who was protecting the entrance to the weirwood tree.

Without Jon doing every single one of those things, Arya has no chance.

How often have the Starks repeated that line "When the snow falls and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives". Ned went to Kings Landing to do **** on his own, gets killed. Rob leads an army with some success but him and Cat can't get along which gets them killed. Rickon gets split up from his brother and gets killed. Jon SHOULD have been killed in BotB if not for Sansa saving his ass. Jon, Sansa, Arya, and Bran all have to team up and work together (Bran with the plan, Sansa doing all the logistics ****, Jon being bad at strategy but killing lots of wights, and Arya being the master assassin). Still, Arya getting the final blow doesn't negate the fact that everyone was completely hopeless without 7 seasons of Jon saying "I saw the Night King, I looked into his eyes" and convincing everyone of the real threat.

Look, in every situation they come up with you could find some sort of justification for it if you tried hard enough.

I could list off twenty things Brienne did that was essential to the final battle, that doesn't mean she is the PWIP.

We will see what happens, maybe they explain it more, but they had a character in this show whose entire motivation through the entire show was finding the PWIP, and they don't even bother to explain how she comes to the realization. That someone who doesn't meet ANY of the signs is the actual key to killing the NK. It's poor writing, in my opinion
Anytime you have to fan theory how some major plot hole isn't an actual plot hole, then that is usually bad writing.

We aren't talking about time not synching up correctly or something minor like that, I don't get bogged down in the little things like that, but when you have a character storyarch that encompasses all eight seasons apparently resolve off screen without any explanation, and that resolution was a major point of interest for a lot of people, well that's just poor writing.
smokeythebear
AG
But what I'm saying is that Arya wasn't PWIP... so there wasn't anything for Melisandre to realize.
smokeythebear
AG
In the books, there is no Night King and there is no "kill one and the rest fall" clause so the PWIP would still be Jon in that his entire role was uniting all the forces together to battle the Others. Arya having the kill doesn't negate that Jon was 90% of the reason the WW's lost.
Vernada
AG
Humorous Username said:

Who knew Texags was populated by so many amateur cinematographers.

Nope. But I am a professional show watcher and commenter.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Yes, she was wrong, but they at least would show us: 1. Her realization she was mistaken;
They did show us she was mistaken after Stannis was defeated. I know it was a long time ago, but...

She still believes in the red god and magic and all that, but the prophecy has barely been mentioned in this series. And prophecies are often wrong and even people of the same faith can disagree on prophecies.

Not trying to be difficult, but honestly, that stuff has been built up much more on message boards than it has on the show.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
smokeythebear said:

In the books, there is no Night King and there is no "kill one and the rest fall" clause so the PWIP would still be Jon in that his entire role was uniting all the forces together to battle the Others. Arya having the kill doesn't negate that Jon was 90% of the reason the WW's lost.

And if you were going to give that kill to someone else because Jon has something later then Arya is as good of a choose as any.

Without the NK in the books you might have 12 different kills of WW by 8 different people with Valyrian steel. Who knows. Each taking down 1/12th roughly of the army.
annie88
AG
smokeythebear said:

Edit: I get that people had issues, but we don't need 1,000 posts of everyone saying the same ******* thing.
When I originally watched it on HBO it was kind of bad. When I re-watched it on HBO to go on my Apple box the quality was 10 times better. Just night and day difference.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
annie88 said:

smokeythebear said:

When I originally watched it on HBO it was kind of bad. When I re-watched it on HBO to go on my Apple box the quality was 10 times better. Just night and day difference.

Literally.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
I liked the darkness/effect. Cinematography excellent. Thoroughly enjoyed S8E3. Watched on my laptop mind you.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
So the episode was dark for me...did anyone else have those issues?
redline248
AG
bangobango said:

redline248 said:

My point was that despite things being mentioned by certain characters for the first few seasons, the prophesies were eventually cast aside. Most likely when the ran out of Martin's source material they said "f-ck it," and decided to focus on the bigger plots.
The Dog Lord
AG
smokeythebear said:

My comment about it wasn't *****ing (and neither were a lot of the others). I was just trying to confirm that it seems to be different through the HBO Go app as I've now watched it live (Uverse) and through the app on the same TV. One thing I didn't mention before was that my rewatch was this afternoon when the room was brighter, and it still was noticeably lighter this time. This may be relevant to those that are questioning how they want to watch it.
redline248
AG
Quote:

As it is, the writers are basically saying g the prophecy stuff is all legit, it was just Arya and not Snow, and none for that makes any sense. And them going back to the "blue eyes" line and trying to pass that off as her already knowing is nothing but complete BS.
I think this is completely wrong. The HBO writers have not, and will not, give us any answer on who is the prince that was promised. I think you are misinterpreting what they did with Mel and Arya.
bangobango
AG
redline248 said:

bangobango said:

redline248 said:

My point was that despite things being mentioned by certain characters for the first few seasons, the prophesies were eventually cast aside. Most likely when the ran out of Martin's source material they said "f-ck it," and decided to focus on the bigger plots.

First episode of season seven (after they "knew" it was going to be Arya):

Jump to 6:30 mark for Melisandre's quote about Prince who was promised.
First Page Last Page
Page 210 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.