****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,191 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

M.C. Swag said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

No I'm saying Rocky also lost fights later. You seemed to imply he only lost in Rocky I.

Thought that was clear. I literally said they were not good movies either.
Maybe I should pick a Van Damm (sp?) movie? The bad guy is bad, good guy is good, the entire movie is building up to a boss fight at the end. Van Damm gets his ass kicked a bit, wiped the blood off his chin, finds some new determination and wins in the end (and gets the girl).

I'm glad GoT didn't go there.
yeah I'm not arguing for that in GOT. I liked the ending ok...... personally I would have had 1 of 3 things though:

1. Arya in the tree and not able to fly. just drops on him.
2. faceless Arya replaces Bran in the chair - stands up (ohhhhh moment) and then knife's him. then reveals she is Arya and Bran is on the ground behind the tree (so NK still sensed him).
3. Jon leads the way in fighting the other WW kills a few but ultimately fails, falling to his knees in a semicircle of WW protecting the NK and while slumped over ninja Arya sweeps in while they are focused on Jon and leaps off his back and then does what she did.

but whatever. i just didn't like her ability to a. get past the other WW unscathed and b. leap 8 feet in the air.
You can't steal the face of someone who isn't dead

That's not necessarily true. We don't know. We saw something like that in the temple with Jaqen.

But even so... arya could look enough like Bran. Just put a hoodie on and look all somber and ***** Hell she could sit on his lap with her hoodie cape draped over him. lol
1) I think by the time Arya would have gotten to the tree, Theon was already shooting arrows at a bunch of zombies. She would have been like.. "don't mind me Theon.. keep it up though.." Would have been sorta weird.
2) We've already discussed my theory on using faces of living people. No need to go there again. But let's say she wears his hoodie, what would she do with Bran? Just heave him over the side of the chair and tell him to be quiet (and stop looking at her so weird)? He couldn't be too far since he was some sort of NK homing beacon.
3) I like this idea. Not sure about the jumping off his back part, I'd prefer her just sneak from behind everybody while everybody was focused on Jon.

I do agree that the 8 foot jump was a bit much. But it made good TV as she flew in from the darkness while from the point of view of Bran looking up at the NK. She could have jumped off a couple dead corpses or something. I'm not letting that one aspect ruin it for me.
aggiejim70
AG
ATM1876 said:

Her advisors talked her out of using the dragons within the walls of King's Landing last season because of the amount of civilian casualties that would entail. If she still aspires to be a different type of ruler that the people rally around she won't do that. If she's changed her mind that could be the final straw that causes the Starks to turn on her.
Point taken......Which begs the question. Will Dany cause a popular uprising in KL as was done in the cities on Slaver's Bay? There's an off chance somebody in KL is a little miffed she blew up the church.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
JJxvi
AG
Step 1: Surprise attacks on all major harbors with dragon fire
Step 2: Faceless man assination of Queen
Step 3: profit
MW03
AG
So when the Dothraki charged, it looked like they reared up right as they hit the dead. I went back and found that moment on HBO go...

I lightened it up to see what they ran into, and this the image...

WTF is that?
BenFiasco14
AG
Looks like the lady that works at my local DMV
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
3rdGen2015
AG
Looks like the bottom half of a giant to me
gigemJTH12
AG
Sounds weird to say, but the one most disappointing way for Cersei to die would be Arya. Especially with a new face.

Arya already got the NK. And already killed Walder Frey with a face.

If she kills Cersei this show has gone even more so, way too arya heavy.

It has to be a different killer this time.
Bregxit
AG
MW03 said:

So when the Dothraki charged, it looked like they reared up right as they hit the dead. I went back and found that moment on HBO go...

I lightened it up to see what they ran into, and this the image...

WTF is that?

The first contact they showed was the rider running into an undead giant.
gigemJTH12
AG
I also think everyone is getting a little ahead of themselves assuming the North "wins" and Cersei gets killed.

Both seem likely but this show doesn't do likely that often.
Farmer1906
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Sounds weird to say, but the one most disappointing way for Cersei to die would be Arya. Especially with a new face.

Arya needs to be killed.
Teddy Perkins
AG
dc509 said:

My Con's:

2. They didn't kill anyone important.
chipotle
pfffftttt...theon....pffffttt...friendzone
DannyDuberstein
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

I also think everyone is getting a little ahead of themselves assuming the North "wins" and Cersei gets killed.

Both seem likely but this show doesn't do likely that often.
It's done it a lot more since they ran out of books. Normally, I would have counted on George RR to give us a properly ****ed up ending. Somewhat satisfying but a lot of carnage of favorite characters. But given how many have survived the entire NK/WW saga (not just Winterfell, but Eastwatch, etc) and even some of the Dany vs. Cersei battles, I'm skeptical that we don't get a far more tidy ending.
aTmAg
AG
I finally found a video of probably my favorite scene in the episode (underrated at least.. since very few are talking about it):

M.C. Swag
AG
To further delve into a common 'complaint' about character deaths (or lackthereof)....**TL;DR warning**

I love this show, and taking the show for what it is, leaving all book plots aside this episode still fell so flat for me. The reason game of thrones is good is because very early on it established and then abided by, a very consistent rule set:

Actions have consequence. No one is coming to save you.

Let's look at a parallel between season one and season eight.
  • Season one: Ned Stark. Stabbed in the leg, limps and walks with a cane for the remainder of his life. He is then betrayed, surrounded by his enemies and executed. As show watchers and book readers we waited for someone to save him. He has to survive, he is the hero, the good man, the main character. We were taught then that that doesn't matter. You die if you are surrounded by your enemies. Your injuries last. Dues ex machina does not exist.
  • Season eight: Sam is consistently being shown overwhelmed with zombies clawing at his quivering body. Greyworm, Brienne, Pod, Jamie, etc. are all literally on the front line facing this waterfall of zombie death. These enemies were established in earlier seasons as absolutely terrifying. A single wight almost kills Jon and Jeor Mormont, and Jon almost loses the use of his hand to kill it. And each of these characters are surrounded by thousands of them.

I could go beat by beat through the main characters and every single one of them should have died several times tonight.

I'm not saying I want them all to die or that they should have story wise, but don't put them in that position if you aren't willing to follow through with it. <-Please re-read this

Game of thrones is supposed to have consequences for your actions. You can't establish rules and throw it all out the window. Even granting plot armor to the main characters (which I understand is necessary at times), where's the suspense for Brienne and Jamie being backed against a wall full of wights when the show is afraid to kill a Tormund or a Greyworm? Where's the suspense for Sansa and Tyrion with wights running loose in the crypts when they won't even kill a Gilly or a Varys?

This episode had amazing visuals. Amazing music. An amazing set. Yet the storytelling left alot to be desired.
The show has slowly turned into the antithesis of itself. It has become the storybook it tried so hard to subvert.
JJxvi
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Arya clearly should have died for there to be any reasonable continuing conflict, but Im sure all the characters will conveniently forget shes capable of doing this and never try.
aTmAg
AG
M.C. Swag said:

To further delve into a common 'complaint' about character deaths (or lackthereof)....**TL;DR warning**

I love this show, and taking the show for what it is, leaving all book plots aside this episode still fell so flat for me. The reason game of thrones is good is because very early on it established and then abided by, a very consistent rule set:

• Season one: Ned Stark. Stabbed in the leg, limps and walks with a cane for the remainder of his life. He is then betrayed, surrounded by his enemies and executed. As show watchers and book readers we waited for someone to save him. He has to survive, he is the hero, the good man, the main character. We were taught then that that doesn't matter. You die if you are surrounded by your enemies. Your injuries last. Dues ex machina does not exist.
  • Season eight: Sam is consistently being shown overwhelmed with zombies clawing at his quivering body. Greyworm, Brienne, Pod, Jamie, etc. are all literally on the front line facing this waterfall of zombie death. These enemies were established in earlier seasons as absolutely terrifying. A single wight almost kills Jon and Jeor Mormont, and Jon almost loses the use of his hand to kill it. And each of these characters are surrounded by thousands of them.

I could go beat by beat through the main characters and every single one of them should have died several times tonight.

I'm not saying I want them all to die or that they should have story wise, but don't put them in that position if you aren't willing to follow through with it. <-Please re-read this

Game of thrones is supposed to have consequences for your actions. You can't establish rules and throw it all out the window. Even granting plot armor to the main characters (which I understand is necessary at times), where's the suspense for Brienne and Jamie being backed against a wall full of wights when the show is afraid to kill a Tormund or a Greyworm? Where's the suspense for Sansa and Tyrion with wights running loose in the crypts when they won't even kill a Gilly or a Varys?

This episode had amazing visuals. Amazing music. An amazing set. Yet the storytelling left alot to be desired.
The show has slowly turned into the antithesis of itself. It has become the storybook it tried so hard to subvert.
I don't think anybody is arguing that enough good guys died. At least from what I can tell.

I (and some others) are arguing that Arya killing the NK is better than if Jon killed the NK.
M.C. Swag
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Unfortunately for the show, that's the most rational conclusion to the story (and yes, it would suck). But that's the consequences for making Arya into a shape-shifting T-1000. She absorbed all of the abilities of a faceless man without having to adhere to any of their rules. With the NK dead, Arya is quite literally the most dangerous person in the show. She can assume anyone's identity, sneak around the enemy undetected, and all of that is in conjunction with her prodigy level ninja skills.

This is now a problem for the show. They will have to make some "reason" as to why Arya can't simply infiltrate her way into Cersei's bedchamber, kill her, and assume her identity to whatever cause she wants.

Game of Thrones now has an Arya problem.
M.C. Swag
AG
aTmAg said:

I don't think anybody is arguing that enough good guys died. At least from what I can tell.

lol serious? it's been mentioned dozens of times
BowSowy
AG
Change Detection said:

So a question regarding the poor viewer experience. When streaming video, is resolution lost to save bandwidth?
In the audio word, a MP3 file sounds worse than a WAV file, frequencies are lost in compression. I have to believe that compression schemes in video streaming have to effect the signal and is not loss-less. If so, the streaming video experience is going to be poorer than cable/DirecTV, etc.
I was streaming and had zero issues with things being too dark, but I do have a pretty nice TV (not trying to humblebrag, promise)
JJxvi
AG
If I was writing the show, the first thing that would happen, assuming I had to live with what already happened is that Jaqen Hgar or whoever shows up as one of the "survivors" and assassinates her.
aTmAg
AG
JJxvi said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Arya clearly should have died for there to be any reasonable continuing conflict, but Im sure all the characters will conveniently forget shes capable of doing this and never try.
Assuming that Arya can only grab the faces of dead people (argument on that has already taken place), killing Cersie would not be very easy. The Mountain is always with her (and is probably practically impossible for her to kill). And I assume the word is out by now that Arya can do this (after she outed herself to the Frey woman). Cersie is not going to let anybody she doesn't know within a 100 feet of her.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Beezy2389 said:

No but a Sansa married to Tyrion might.

Probably a coincidence but the main "Game of Thrones" banner during the title sequence has a wolf, a stag, a lion, and a dragon on it.

Jon marries Dany = Wolf + Dragon
Sansa marries Tyrion = Wolf + Lion
Arya marries Gendry = Wolf + Stag

House Stark could marry into and rule with the other main houses. Which ironically isn't "breaking the wheel" at all.

I know it seems like a mega-happy ending but come on, they just spared numerous expendable characters and made Arya the prince that was promised all for fan-service.

My other favorite theory is Tyrion gives Bronn the Twins since Tyrion keeps saying "whatever they are offering you, I'll double it"

Yes it has that - but it is a representation of Robert's Rebellion not unions. The stag, lion and wolf are attacking the dragon.

The spinning astrolabe thing has ALWAYS shown three images in past seasons

1. A representation of the Doom of Valyria
2. Roberts rebellion represented by the stag, wolf, and lion attacking a dragon
3. A stag on the throne with all other sigils bowing - representing Roberts Reign

This season has 2 new images shown.

4. ice dragon with NK on his back bringing down the wall

5. the red wedding represented by three images together:
A flayed man (Boltons) holding up the head of a wolf (Starks)
A Lion (Lannisters) with a fish in it's mouth - Lannisters controlling the Freys
The Twins castle with a direwolf hanging from the archway

I think they always represent past things that have been commemorated - these are supposed to be images on the spinning astrolabe thing hanging in the Citadel.
aTmAg
AG
M.C. Swag said:

aTmAg said:

Who said that? I think I've read every post since it aired, and I can't think of anybody saying that.
JJxvi
AG
aTmAg said:

JJxvi said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Assuming that Arya can only grab the faces of dead people (argument on that has already taken place), killing Cersie would not be very easy. The Mountain is always with her (and is probably practically impossible for her to kill). And I assume the word is out by now that Arya can do this (after she outed herself to the Frey woman). Cersie is not going to let anybody she doesn't know within a 100 feet of her.
Is she not going to allow anyone she does know within 100 feet of anybody else? She would have to isolate herself totally. Arya could kill Euron easily, a wildcard who shes ****ing and doesnt know well, and assume his identity. Arya can be anybody, even people Cersei already knows.
Teddy Perkins
AG
M.C. Swag
AG
aTmAg said:

M.C. Swag said:

aTmAg said:

Who said that? I think I've read every post since it aired, and I can't think of anybody saying that.
I'm not going back and linking to comments but many people have and it's been a topic of discussion on Twitter, Binge Mode, etc.

M.C. Swag
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

I knew this was coming which is exactly why I BOLDED the sentence that said 'PLEASE READ THIS' and I still got this irrelevant meme that missed the point.
Furlock Bones
AG
M.C. Swag said:

nailed it.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
aTmAg said:

JJxvi said:

gigemJTH12 said:

THIS

I think Arya might actually try and Cersei sees through it and kills her. Then the reveal.

I think Cersei is now (and really always was) the main baddie and will be the one to kill many main characters.

If it wasn't NK then Cersei needs to go down in a blaze of glory but only after almost killing them all. Probably Arya, Brienne in fairly close proximity and personally. And either Jon or Dany she will be responsible for their deaths and the dragons too. Maybe Tyrion. I'd expect no less than 5 or 6 major deaths at her hands.

I still think (prophecy or not) Jamie is the only one that could kill her. Because he is the only one she might let close enough to do it. Even with his treason in her eyes - she'll either want to kill him up close or allow him the possibility to grovel and beg her.
Furlock Bones
AG
reread atmags post. i think he's saying even the people that liked the episode thought more characters should die.
G Martin 87
AG
M.C. Swag said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Unfortunately for the show, that's the most rational conclusion to the story (and yes, it would suck). But that's the consequences for making Arya into a shape-shifting T-1000. She absorbed all of the abilities of a faceless man without having to adhere to any of their rules. With the NK dead, Arya is quite literally the most dangerous person in the show. She can assume anyone's identity, sneak around the enemy undetected, and all of that is in conjunction with her prodigy level ninja skills.

This is now a problem for the show. They will have to make some "reason" as to why Arya can't simply infiltrate her way into Cersei's bedchamber, kill her, and assume her identity to whatever cause she wants.

Game of Thrones now has an Arya problem.
This isn't a "problem", nor is it new. Arya has had the skills of a Faceless Man for 2 seasons. But she's not Captain Marvel or Nightcrawler. In order to infiltrate the Red Keep, she's going to have to kill someone who is currently serving in the Red Keep who Cersei trusts. Then, and only then, can she get close enough to assassinate Cersei in her bedchamber. But the person with that face has to die. That's a significant restraint on her power to use faces.
gigemJTH12
AG
Very very curious how this goes down. On one hand I feel like the dragons are negated somehow and aren't some huge advantage. But on the other hand, the north is at a huge disadvantage personnel wise and the dragons is really all they have. But that sounds like a really boring battle. Dragons just torching 20,000 mercenaries.

McSwag is about to get his number deleted by me. He has given up hope that Thrones gonna Thrones.

But I haven't. I think something happens and the Dragons and Arya don't just run away with this thing as easily as it seems.

No way.
Luke Smith
Guys, we need to talk about the things that REALLY matter like this:

First Page Last Page
Page 204 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.