****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,220 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PatAg said:

those people represent everything I hate
Wow. That was a random vitriolic response.
Charlie Conway
PatAg said:

that would be the absolutely last place I would want to watch the show.
Charlie Conway
Brian Earl Spilner said:

wannaggie said:

TPS_Report said:

Qyburn kills Varys. The Little Birds kill Qyburn.

The Mountain kills Arya. The Hound kills The Mountain.

Cersei kills Sansa. Tyrion kills Cersei.

Jon rules the North, Dany rules the South.

Sam appointed head of the Citadel.

Sam is a total loser, featured in the series primarily to give the mom's-basement nerds in the audience someone to identify with.

Sam as head of the Citadel would plunge the continent into a dark(er) age within 10 years.
He killed a White Walker. He killed a Thenn. Show some gd respect.
he loved a lady too don't forget
wangus12
AG
I liked to two hipster-lesbo girls crying in the front of the room. I bet the bartender loves dealing with them
aTmAg
AG
Charlie Conway said:

PatAg said:

I agree. To each their own.

However, clearly they liked the ending.
aTmAg
AG
One thing about the episode that makes me wonder.. how, in real life do they deal with all the bodies during the fight?

Like for example, the Spartan 300. You are stabbing guy after guy, if you stop to move a body out of the way, you get stabbed. What did they do about that in real life?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Charlie Conway said:

PatAg said:

Yep, all those people do is show up and talk Thrones, cheer Thrones and watch Thrones.

Meanwhile at Texags, we've got experts breaking down how loud/soft a 5 foot 2, 110 pound girl can run on snow.
benchmark
AG
For me, the battle for Winterfell was never meant to be the climax of the series, although it was obviously important. Going forward, I'm curious about how it affects everyone's thought process. If it were me, I would be "Who care about a damn throne? We just defeated Death! Life's too short to worry about who's King."

I know the character's care - so it will be interesting to see how (or if) surviving Winterfell changes their perspectives.

Like everyone else, I have lots of guesses about who lives and dies and who kills whom in the last 3 episodes. But I hope the character development continues.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
aTmAg said:

One thing about the episode that makes me wonder.. how, in real life do they deal with all the bodies during the fight?

Like for example, the Spartan 300. You are stabbing guy after guy, if you stop to move a body out of the way, you get stabbed. What did they do about that in real life?

You didn't see it affect them in this one (well, that much), but a great example of this is the BOB episode, where the dead bodies actually form a physical barrier blocking Jon's army from retreating. This has been described in several different battles throughout history.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

For the Arya kill...how much better would it have been for Arya to have taken Bran's face, and when the NK gets close to him Bran(Arya) gets out of the chair and stabs him? Then real Bran could have been his raven sitting and watching on a tree branch with someone having hid him nearby.

Do people not realize that a person has to die to take their face? So you won't see Arya acting as anyone else unless they are dead...
Seven Costanza
AG
A lot of the criticisms are valid, but I still enjoyed it. As a simpleton, I would've been happier with a few more deaths and some white walker battles.
NASAg03
I've watched at Bar Munic in Houston multiple times last season and Phoenix last night. All have been great experiences with people dead quiet.

Watching from home is nice, but the crowd adds a great element as well. Not as bad as people make it out to be.
Max Power
AG
Man, now that was an episode of TV, just wow. The tone, dark, cold, ominous, filled with dread. Music was outstanding. Seeing everyone in formation to then see their blades go up in flames from left to right, charge into the night and disappear. The wave of the dead, the snowstorm blowing in, dragon fighting, the dead keep coming now matter how many they take down. They climb the walls, still coming. Lyana Mormont, giant killer. The night king isn't burned by dragon fire, raises the newly dead as Jon Snow is bearing down. The dead rise in the castle, including the crypts. The insurmountable task climbs ever more difficult. All hope is lost, the only thing standing between the night king and Bran is Theon Greyjoy, then no one. Then, just as the sword is about to be drawn Arya saves the mf'ing day.

I do not understand anyone that disliked this episode. Was it fan service? You're damn right it was. It was service to everyone who has watched this show for years to watch Ned Stark get beheaded, Rob and Catelyn die at the Red Wedding, Jon Snow murdered by his own men, Prince Oberin having his head popped by the hands of the mountain, Sansa go from one hell to another, trying to save the wildlings to have them be killed and raised to fight the living, Rickon running to Jon only to die in his arms, a dragon killed which is turned and ultimately takes down the wall, so many dead direwolves. Yet, we stayed and kept watching, it's the episode I needed. After watching A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms I was sure that maybe up to half these characters were done for, but they weren't.

Three episodes left, and I'm as hooked on this show as I ever was, I'm in for the rest of the ride.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Max Power said:

Man, now that was an episode of TV, just wow. The tone, dark, cold, ominous, filled with dread. Music was outstanding. Seeing everyone in formation to then see their blades go up in flames from left to right, charge into the night and disappear. The wave of the dead, the snowstorm blowing in, dragon fighting, the dead keep coming now matter how many they take down. They climb the walls, still coming. Lyana Mormont, giant killer. The night king isn't burned by dragon fire, raises the newly dead as Jon Snow is bearing down. The dead rise in the castle, including the crypts. The insurmountable task climbs ever more difficult. All hope is lost, the only thing standing between the night king and Bran is Theon Greyjoy, then no one. Then, just as the sword is about to be drawn Arya saves the mf'ing day.

I do not understand anyone that disliked this episode. Was it fan service? You're damn right it was. It was service to everyone who has watched this show for years to watch Ned Stark get beheaded, Rob and Catelyn die at the Red Wedding, Jon Snow murdered by his own men, Prince Oberin having his head popped by the hands of the mountain, Sansa go from one hell to another, trying to save the wildlings to have them be killed and raised to fight the living, Rickon running to Jon only to die in his arms, a dragon killed which is turned and ultimately takes down the wall, so many dead direwolves. Yet, we stayed and kept watching, it's the episode I needed. After watching A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms I was sure that maybe up to half these characters were done for, but they weren't.

Three episodes left, and I'm as hooked on this show as I ever was, I'm in for the rest of the ride.

And HODOR!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though. Loved your take. I may not agree 100% but I liked it a lot. And millions of fans will be in that boat. We've had our souls crushed many times and probably will again before this is over.
oh no
AG
There's going to be so much conniving sex, backstabbing, and politics after they blew their battle load last episode. What a great show!
Cerdock
AG
Night king pickup lines:

"I know I look older - but no worries, I can raise the dead"

"You know, cold has a bad rap"

"Drink getting a little warm -lemme fix that"

"No, actually never had lice"

"Not into texting - I can't read the keyboard on the phone anymore "

"You are beautiful, you'd look even better with blue eyes"

"Ya, I've got lots of friends, but most of them are kinda stiff"

Somebody with an actual sense of humor can do much better I'm sure

DannyDuberstein
AG
benchmark said:

For me, the battle for Winterfell was never meant to be the climax of the series, although it was obviously important. Going forward, I'm curious about how it affects everyone's thought process. If it were me, I would be "Who care about a damn throne? We just defeated Death! Life's too short to worry about who's King."

I know the character's care - so it will be interesting to see how (or if) surviving Winterfell changes their perspectives.

Like everyone else, I have lots of guesses about who lives and dies and who kills whom in the last 3 episodes. But I hope the character development continues.
Human nature is a bich. No matter how good we have it or how thankful we should be for what we have, most of us always end up coveting and wanting more. That euphoric "i'm just glad to be alive" feeling is almost always fleeting
AustinAg2K
For those wondering how they take on Cersei after nearly everyone died, one thing this show has been consistent on is if you need and army, you can get an army. It wouldn't surprise me if they've got a ton of people next week like nothing happened. Already from the preview it looks like more people survived than originally implied.
annie88
AG
Urban Ag
AG
I've started my re-watch today during my workout.

This episode is getting way over-analyzed.

It's not flawless but it is damn good. I finished 45 minutes and will finish my re-watch tomorrow.

I honestly think people, myself included, get too hyped, too emotionally invested, and when it doesn't meet your perfect criteria people get a little too nutty on the overreaction.

Just one example. Jon and Dany are trying like hell to burn the army of the undead. But the weather goes to sh** and visibility is terrible. You can't risk burning up the Unsullied or Bran. Also, the battle jumps around constantly to different perspectives so it's not like you can view them burning wights endlessly. They also clearly have a point where they see the WW's on dead horseback which was clearly to show their recognition they have to keep some distance to avoid the ice javelin. And then of course the NK gets in the fray and that hampers dragon fire air support.

This one is better on a second viewing and I loved it the first time.
Pendragon12
AG
Watching the episode again, I liked it more. I understand the plot armor gripe, but for the most part I didn't feel like there was too much one on one zombie battling by our main characters. I think they started fighting closer together and were there when others were getting overrun. Of course there was some for the sake of people staying alive, but during my first watch I felt like many of you - all of our stars are the only ones magically not being swarmed. Second go around, I felt it less so.

But Sam should have died. He started out strong in battle but at the end he was laying there. Some wight should have killed him. I find it completely unbelievable that he somehow evaded death that whole fight. Everyone else I'm more okay with.

I still feel someone more important than Theon/Jorah should have died, but I'll hold out my (minor) critique to see how story lines wrap up.
BCG Disciple
AG
Thisguy1 said:

Silvertaps said:

3. She'll be queen for a time, until a "younger more beautiful to cast you down and take all you hold dear".
Obviously means Dany, unless some strange twist has a Stark girl on the thrown.

To me, this refers to Sansa and not Dany. Dany is hot and everything, but all anyone talks about with Sansa in the show is about how she's a "great beauty." Cersei has even said it.

Margaery Tyrell?
annie88
AG
PatAg said:

Good Lord, lighten up Francis. You hate people having fun in a bar? Nobody says you have to go watch it like that if that's the way they want too, they can.

Good grief. You must be a blast at parties.
annie88
AG
wangus12 said:

I liked to two hipster-lesbo girls crying in the front of the room. I bet the bartender loves dealing with them
Clicked on the link and watched when they saw Lyanna kill the giant and a bartender hands guy a drink in an animal horn. Made me want one.

At the :24 mark

smokeythebear
AG
Still trying to get caught up on the thread, but one thing I haven't seen discussed that explains a little more about the Night King's ultimate undoing is that perhaps he wasn't simply trying to kill Bran, but wanted to turn Bran. Like what happened to Benjen before the CotF interrupted the process, I was thinking the Night King was trying to get to Bran, turn him, and then be able to use his powers against the rest of the humans. This required him to be there in person and not have the wights finish off the job.

Makes a lot more sense as to why the WWs didn't fight anyone but did all go in person to the Weirwood tree.
JJxvi
AG
Too bad the writers werent smart enough to think of that and express it to the viewer as a motivation.
Urban Ag
AG
Geek out moment.

Anyone else just love it when Mel rides by Grey Worm, looks and him and says Valar morgulis and he locks eyes with her and without a moment of hesitation replies Valar dohaeris?

All men must die
All men must serve

I thought that was just awesome to do. It was almost like US GI's in Europe fighting WWII. Not their continent. Arguable not even their problem. Yes we left Essos to fight your war in Westeros.

chris1515
AG
With the way all the army was lined up outside the front gates of Winterfell, why didn't the army of the dead just walk around and attack the other side?

Also, did no one think to make some arrowheads out of Valyrian steel?
smokeythebear
AG
Also, the criticism about characters being completely overrun one second and then fighting wights one-on-one two seconds later are fair, given you watch the scene with full objectivity.

But my take on the battle, and GOT has been pretty consistent with this in Hardhome, BotB, and Loot Train, is that these battle scenes are more subjective in that you're supposed to feel the feeling the characters have. They FEEL overwhelmed by and insane force, and then after hacking a few wights up, they regain their composure and feel more confident in their situation. It's not meant to be an objective 3rd party view ala watching a basketball game on TV. It's supposed to give you the feeling of being on the ground, disoriented and surrounded by enemies, and then regaining your orientation and re-engaging the enemy. So for example, the massive wave of bodies when the wights got to the unsullied is an exaggeration, but it is meant to give the viewer the same kind of emotional shock as what the unsullied would have felt in that moment.

Just my take.
Fenrir
I want to say it would have been a massive waste of a material already in short supply but really in the end the only one that mattered was Arya's dagger.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

They had more dragonglass than they did Valyrian steel. The latter is extremely rare and hardly anyone knows how it's made.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
chris1515 said:

With the way all the army was lined up outside the front gates of Winterfell, why didn't the army of the dead just walk around and attack the other side?

really????

i mean come on. they knew which direction they were coming from - but beyond that. let's at least assume they had scouts in all directions. They sounded the horns when they were still at least a couple of miles away cuz it still took like 20+ minutes until fighting began (between the end of last episode and when the dothraki charged). you really think they didn't cover all directions just because you didn't see it. let's assume just a modicum of intelligence in their prep. yes the battle plans were also shown facing that way - but again they knew they were coming from that way. had they come around let's assume they react to that and rotate the plan after they are sighted. but they came from the expected direction. And his army is expendable and he can always raise more dead the NK wasn't worried about going straight into the teeth of their defense he had a huge numbers advantage.

As for the arrows. I don't think you want arrows made out of something incredibly heavy. And Valyrian steel is incredibly rare too. They quite obviously made many out of dragon glass which is likely much lighter. thats what Theon and the other iron islanders were firing in the weirwood area. I mean it killed the wights so it had to be dragon glass OR valyrian steel. But Valyrian steel is in very very short supply - like 7 swords ina ll the known world made from it - you're gonna break those down to make a few hundred arrows when you have mountains of dragon glass???? And arrows would not likely have been very effective other than there - they used flaming arrows to light things on fire. But visibility was crap and you are in the middle of a winter storm basically. Arrows are only going to be effective in short range - and the weirwood area was both that and likely blocking wind at ground level.

Fenrir
smokeythebear said:

Also, the criticism about characters being completely overrun one second and then fighting wights one-on-one two seconds later are fair, given you watch the scene with full objectivity.

But my take on the battle, and GOT has been pretty consistent with this in Hardhome, BotB, and Loot Train, is that these battle scenes are more subjective in that you're supposed to feel the feeling the characters have. They FEEL overwhelmed by and insane force, and then after hacking a few wights up, they regain their composure and feel more confident in their situation. It's not meant to be an objective 3rd party view ala watching a basketball game on TV. It's supposed to give you the feeling of being on the ground, disoriented and surrounded by enemies, and then regaining your orientation and re-engaging the enemy. So for example, the massive wave of bodies when the wights got to the unsullied is an exaggeration, but it is meant to give the viewer the same kind of emotional shock as what the unsullied would have felt in that moment.

Just my take.

If it ends up this is Sam's written record of events, I can buy that (see also the one eyed Spartan telling the events of 300 to the rest of Sparta/Greece). Otherwise that's just a way of being generous to inconsistent writing.
Cromagnum
AG
aTmAg said:

Straight up cancer audience. No way in hell could I enjoy the show with all these neckbeards acting like that.
benchmark
AG
chris1515 said:

They've lost the ability to make Valyrian steel. They tipped almost everything in dragon glass instead.
First Page Last Page
Page 196 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.