****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,663 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

For the morning crowd, here's the official standings after 3 episodes for the Tex Ags Game of Game of Thrones

AgSquirrel97 40+21 = 61
Urban Ag 40+18 = 58
Spreadsheet Ag 40 + 18 = 58
Geoff H. 40 + 15 = 55
Texas Aggie '99 40 + 12 = 52
Walton Loads 30 + 21 = 51
oldag00 30 + 21 = 51
TxRunner97 30 + 18 = 48
Derek J. 30 + 18 = 48
Brian Earl Spilner 30 + 18 = 48
Rex Racer 20 + 21 = 41
Saint Arnold 20 + 18 = 38
wangus12 20 + 18 = 38

Andy W. 20 + 15 = 35
ChipolteMonger 30 + 15 = 35

Myles Moore 20 + 12 = 32

CoachRTM 10 + 18 = 28

What does the addition mean?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
aTmAg said:

Maybe it's just me, but I think some of the best scenes are when dragons are "carpet bombing" with their fire. Like when they showed Sansa and Arya amazement first saw the power of the dragons. I wish one of them said something like, "I'm glad those are on our side" or something.

I've been looking for somebody to screen capture that scene, but no such luck. I guess most people don't find that sort of thing impressive.

Totally man. The three coolest shots IMO were the Dothraki lights going out, the dragons obliterating thousands of dead at once, and then Viserion blowing up an entire wall of Winterfell.
Vernada
AG
Champ Bailey said:

aTmAg said:

Maybe it's just me, but I think some of the best scenes are when dragons are "carpet bombing" with their fire. Like when they showed Sansa and Arya amazement first saw the power of the dragons. I wish one of them said something like, "I'm glad those are on our side" or something.

I've been looking for somebody to screen capture that scene, but no such luck. I guess most people don't find that sort of thing impressive.

Totally man. The three coolest shots IMO were the Dothraki lights going out, the dragons obliterating thousands of dead at once, and then Viserion blowing up an entire wall of Winterfell.
Dothraki light out - even though that charge made no sense
Sansa & Tyrion scene in the crypt
hunter2012
AG
Can we be honest and say that the most unrealistic thing in this episode is that Sam somehow survived? He was under duress & swarmed by wights the whole freaking episode. When Jon passed him and he was yelling, I about lost it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Vernada
AG
hunter2012 said:

Can we be honest and say that the most unrealistic thing in this episode is that Sam somehow survived? He was under duress & swarmed by wights the whole freaking episode. When Jon passed him and he was yelling, I about lost it.
seems like we'd be hard pressed to name the 'most unrealistic' thing in this episode
AustinAg2K
aTmAg said:

I think Bronn will betray Cersie and join Jamie/Dany.
Definitely. Tyrion will double Cersei's payment. The last time they met, Tyrion reminded him his offer is still good.
cbr
AG
M.C. Swag said:

gigemJTH12 said:

No I get it. I'm just saying that in that movie the shark is the only villain. So comparing the shark to the Night King doesn't work bc my entire point was that I'm okay Cersei is the final challenge bc she was the entire show.

The night king was hardly ever around.
yes, i understand. Cersei had more screen time. That is a basic fact.

But dude, they've been building the WWs since the beginning. The 'winter is coming' motif is a direct link to them (winter = death = WW). The prince who was promised prophecy (which was the entire plot arc for Dany and Jon) was a consistent theme as well. The PWIW isn't some prophesized hero sent to overthrow 1 crazy queen. They were meant to FIGHT BACK THE NIGHT.

The NK was an immortal who could raise the dead, control the dead, had a zombie dragon, and to some varying degree, control the weather. That man was just defeated. How can we as an audience feel any sort of suspense about the conflict with Cersei in comparison to what they just defeated? I mean hell, Arya could literally sneak through a pack of zombies to stab the NK...she could assassinate Cersei in her sleep. Boom. game over.

My point is; the NK literally and thematically was the big bad. He was ICE. He was WINTER. He was DEATH. They just beat that. Now I'm supposed to buy that Cersei is the last challenge? She's the reason Jon was resurrected amongst smoke and ash?

Cersi is the worst but I expect the conclusion is ending the entire 'game'. As in no more big houses feuding. Look where that got everyone anyway. That's a pretty big deal too.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Vernada said:

Champ Bailey said:

aTmAg said:

Yeah, this entire show has made it pretty clear that these people don't have basic military warfare training.

TBH, you would want everyone inside the gates, and try to kill as many with ranged attacks as possible to minimize deaths that double the enemy's army, and you definitely wouldn't want your catapults on the front line.

If I were commander, I keep the trench, have the ballista mounted on the walls constantly firing, and then wait for the wights to get to the walls before sending in Dany and Drogon to light the trench, trapping the closest wights and cutting off the rest of the army. You then have Jon come in and light the people close to the wall, away from the WW, and have Dany keeping a lookout for the NK with the bigger dragon.

A siege battle isn't nearly as interesting though as two armies colliding. This way, we got both.
M.C. Swag
AG
cbr said:

M.C. Swag said:

gigemJTH12 said:

No I get it. I'm just saying that in that movie the shark is the only villain. So comparing the shark to the Night King doesn't work bc my entire point was that I'm okay Cersei is the final challenge bc she was the entire show.

But dude, they've been building the WWs since the beginning. The 'winter is coming' motif is a direct link to them (winter = death = WW). The prince who was promised prophecy (which was the entire plot arc for Dany and Jon) was a consistent theme as well. The PWIW isn't some prophesized hero sent to overthrow 1 crazy queen. They were meant to FIGHT BACK THE NIGHT.

The NK was an immortal who could raise the dead, control the dead, had a zombie dragon, and to some varying degree, control the weather. That man was just defeated. How can we as an audience feel any sort of suspense about the conflict with Cersei in comparison to what they just defeated? I mean hell, Arya could literally sneak through a pack of zombies to stab the NK...she could assassinate Cersei in her sleep. Boom. game over.

My point is; the NK literally and thematically was the big bad. He was ICE. He was WINTER. He was DEATH. They just beat that. Now I'm supposed to buy that Cersei is the last challenge? She's the reason Jon was resurrected amongst smoke and ash?
Cersi is the worst but I expect the conclusion is ending the entire 'game'. As in no more big houses feuding. Look where that got everyone anyway. That's a pretty big deal too.
You're 100% right...the struggle for the throne was little more than a game...the real conflict was much larger than that.
cbr
AG
Vernada said:

Champ Bailey said:

aTmAg said:

A lot of battles have seen poor tactics. Why didn't they have better scouts out front? I half expected a surprise attack against Jon/danaris on the hill watching. They certainly weren't ready for that.

But on this point, it's wrong. Dothraki are horsemen. They charge. It's what they do. They aren't very effective any other way. That's why they were mounted in front. Now, could they have better made a flank attack or something? Find out front and harassed thr column approaching? Probably except visibility was such an issue. Either way, I think that nitpick is misplaced.
AgLiving06
M.C. Swag said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Here's my hot take on this.

I think Jon was resurrected to defeat the NK.

Other's have said it, but they think Sam is the one writing "The Song of Fire and Ice."

So I think Jon dies in the last episode and Sam is writing about his friend's life and death.
agrams
AG
Cersei is the type of crazy that will blow up the iron throne before letting someone else sit on it... that would "break the wheel".
Jim01
AG
Don't want to read much because I hate theory talk, but hell that was an awesome episode.

Arya kicking ass, and pulling a Rey with the knife drop.

aggietony2010
AG
I'm thinking the Night King had to kill Bran. Maybe we'll get an explanation on that at some point.

The night king killed the Brynden Rivers version in person. I'm guessing that if some random person had just killed Bran, then Bran's conscious and thus the 3 eyed Raven could have sought refuge in another being. Even another human based on what we know about Bran's warging abilities.

Or it could just be the Night King being a cocky son of a *****.
Vernada
AG
It's almost like we got to this point and the show writers didn't have the imagination or CGI to properly deal with a supernatural villain. So we end up with an episode like this to wrap this part up quickly - if not neatly.

And now that this uncomfortable part of the plot is wrapped up, they can return to the drama of court intrigue, strong personalities, revenge motive, backstabbing, etc.

Things should improve dramatically from here.

Plus, maybe this three episode night will end and we can get some nice clean pictures on the TV.
Kramer
AG
It was a strange turn (the NK so quickly being defeated) but had to be done. There's only 3 episodes left. And the coming together of the groups was necessary to set the final conflict.

Dani vs Jon
Tyrion & Sansa vs Dani? (or was Tyrion always looking for an in to redeem himself in Dani's eyes)
What does Jaime do now? Fight with Cersei or Dani?

Does Dani assert her authority over The North? Their King did bend the knee. She technically came to defend her people. Does she take a hard line with Sansa? How does that effect Arya? Or Jon? Also, Sansa is going to have a hard time playing the tough Lady of Winterfell when all she did was hide in the basement and complain about being worthless.

What is Bran's story from here on it?
"The only happy Aggie is an unhappy Aggie." Shelby Metcalf
Vernada
AG
cbr said:

Vernada said:

Champ Bailey said:

aTmAg said:

A lot of battles have seen poor tactics. Why didn't they have better scouts out front? I half expected a surprise attack against Jon/danaris on the hill watching. They certainly weren't ready for that.

But on this point, it's wrong. Dothraki are horsemen. They charge. It's what they do. They aren't very effective any other way. That's why they were mounted in front. Now, could they have better made a flank attack or something? Find out front and harassed thr column approaching? Probably except visibility was such an issue. Either way, I think that nitpick is misplaced.
I was just naming the two scenes of the episode I enjoyed the most.
Icecream_Ag
S
M.C. Swag said:

cbr said:

M.C. Swag said:

gigemJTH12 said:

You're 100% right...the struggle for the throne was little more than a game...the real conflict was much larger than that.
the battle with the NK was the big bad, but Cersie vs starks is the main theme of the show. That's why the big battle actually came first
MW03
AG
Agnzona said:

The ugly:
Huge story arch problems.
7 years for Winter is Coming, NK, Army of the dead and it's all over in one episode? -Major Fail. Now it's just back to killing Cersei....
John, Dany, Tyrion and Jamie the 4 most important characters are all now completely impotent, wasted story archs. None played much of a roll at all in the BOW and now I'm supposed to still care about them? Sansa and Arya are the only important people left (sans Cersei) . Ayra was great as a major player sidekick, now she is the most important person in the entire story. That's over kicking the coverag....

Could have been, should have been so much better.
HBO paid way too much to produce such a big "eh it was OK" episode. Just my honest opinion...Flame away.

Oh I forgot to add what the hell is the point of Bran's character?

I really don't see how it could have gone any other way. It wouldn't have worked for them all to team up, then whoever's left take the throne. It would have been entirely out of character for the woman who blew up the Sept and half the town to suddenly decide to do the right thing anyway.

It wouldn't have worked either for them to have fought the south first while the Night King kept charging. There's wouldn't have been a Westeros to rule. By standing and fighting, Dany saved all of Westeros and now has the moral authority to rule it.

Quote:

John, Dany, Tyrion and Jamie the 4 most important characters are all now completely impotent, wasted story archs.

This is the point I really disagree with. Jon, maybe, but Dany's arc has been about getting the iron throne since Season 1. Tyrion and Jamie's arcs are almost entirely about the Lannister name. Jamie in particular is about Cersei. Over the past 7 seasons, none of them (save Jon) have been about the Night King threat until very recently.

Anyway, I'm just ready to see Tyrion as lord of Casterly Rock and Jamie with a full page of deeds in the Kingsguard book.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
AgLiving06 said:

M.C. Swag said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Here's my hot take on this.

I think Jon was resurrected to defeat the NK.

Other's have said it, but they think Sam is the one writing "The Song of Fire and Ice."

So I think Jon dies in the last episode and Sam is writing about his friend's life and death.

Doubtful - I mean he literally didn't defeat the NK. At best he assembled the forces that did. But that doesn't seem worthy of resurrection imho.

Meaning he has a bigger arc to play out. And it isn't Cersei that's not his battle literally. Although he will support Dany in that.

It appears to me now that he had to be resurrected for the ultimate end - ruling as the King. Meaning Dany dies. Or he dies and Dany rules - can no longer be together.

Sam writing the story is possible of course - but it could go either way still. As king or as the ultimate sacrifice for Dany.

Jim01
AG
Also my only issue with the episode was strategy based.

- Why send the Dothraki out alone only to get slaughtered?

- Why not have as many dragon glass tipped arrows as possible and rain down on them?

- Use the damn dragons more initially. And when the moat was lit what was she lighting up the back of the battle field? Light up the front line of the battle, keeping the enemy back more and keeping you closer to your home base (safer).

But that's nit picking
Kate Beckett
AG
Me and all my friends trying to see what's going on in this episode:

Cromagnum
AG
Cavalry tactics were bad. They should have sent the Dothraki in from the side, ala LOTR (6:00 minute mark)

Instead:

Carlo4
AG
To poke a little fun, this show is called Game of Thrones, not Jon vs the Night King. They defeated evil so that they can fight to rule Westeros.

Amazing we have such a story that can get so complicated and detailed. The bad part about it is summing all that up so quickly. For all the "cons" to the episode last night, it's been one hell of a ride and was good to see the good guys win. Time to take on Cersei and the iron throne.

bonfarr
AG
I loved Arya being the one that got the big kill but did they have to make her jump on the NK like a spider monkey? That just seemed silly.
Kramer
AG
BTW, Dani hasn't gotten laid in awhile. Either Jon has to get back in there or she'll be shopping.
"The only happy Aggie is an unhappy Aggie." Shelby Metcalf
BowSowy
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

I've now watched the episode twice, I figured out my biggest issue with it. I'll preface this with stating that I really enjoyed the episode. I have no issues with the glaring strategical issues on the side of the living; however, I cannot get past the continuous continuity errors.

They are just obnoxiously evident on repeat viewing. Characters who were previously surrounded on all sides, suddenly surrounded on one side, or not surrounded at all anymore. Greyjoys being immediately overrun, then suddenly not. The continuity errors were just nonstop every 2-3 minutes for about a 30-40 minute stretch. If you don't believe me, have a rewatch. These are issues that could easily have been fixed, it's really just sloppy filmmaking.
The biggest one for me, and the one that pissed me off, was how Grey Worm was at the front of the Unsullied army when the wave of wights hit then a few minutes later, he's destroying the moat bridge behind the Unsullied army.
AustinAg2K
MW03 said:

Agnzona said:

The ugly:
Huge story arch problems.
7 years for Winter is Coming, NK, Army of the dead and it's all over in one episode? -Major Fail. Now it's just back to killing Cersei....
John, Dany, Tyrion and Jamie the 4 most important characters are all now completely impotent, wasted story archs. None played much of a roll at all in the BOW and now I'm supposed to still care about them? Sansa and Arya are the only important people left (sans Cersei) . Ayra was great as a major player sidekick, now she is the most important person in the entire story. That's over kicking the coverag....

Could have been, should have been so much better.
HBO paid way too much to produce such a big "eh it was OK" episode. Just my honest opinion...Flame away.

Oh I forgot to add what the hell is the point of Bran's character?

I really don't see how it could have gone any other way. It wouldn't have worked for them all to team up, then whoever's left take the throne. It would have been entirely out of character for the woman who blew up the Sept and half the town to suddenly decide to do the right thing anyway.

I disagree. I think it would have been better to have had Cersei agree to come up to Winterfell and help, but at some point during all the chaos of the battle to take the opportunity to try and seize the throne for herself. In my mind, the main theme of the story has been that everyone is too busy with their own petty politics and ignoring the real problem in the world. In the end, even if Cersei doesn't win, it will be because she didn't play the game well enough. Not because she failed to learn a lesson that Jon/Dany did.
Carlo4
AG
Kramer said:

BTW, Dani hasn't gotten laid in awhile. Either Jon has to get back in there or she'll be shopping.

She's got the pick of the litter between Podrag and Tormand
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Fenrir said:

Belton Ag said:

Fenrir said:

Pendragon12 said:

The Wizard of Oz said:

For me, the episode was visually spectacular, but I feel robbed on the plot line.

I figured that the Night King would have had more depth to him. More agency. I hate that the viewers are educated on the NK's intentions exclusively by one line from Bran in the War Council scene.

I really thought there was more to the NK than Bran's "I'm a living encyclopedia, so he wants to kill me, and then kill everyone else".

And then, Deus Ex Arya inexplicably uses one of the Godswood's invisible Tarzan vines to swing up on the NK? Come on...
In previous seasons it showed the Children creating the Night King to destroy man. The best way to do that is to destroy the 3ER and then wipe out all men.

If you re-watch the NK death, you can see Bran shift his eyes away from the Night King as if looking at or for something, and the Night King with the curious head tilt. Arya completely disappeared for about 20-30 mins. She was likely hiding and has a history of sneaking up on people. The dead don't seem to be very observant so I don't find this too far fetched.

First viewing I was thinking wtf. Second, I think she either came from a tree above and was able to get the drop on the WWs behind, or used her Faceless Man skills somehow to hide among the dead/WWs.

Maybe I missed something but why is it important to kill 3ER before destroying the world of men? I know that was stated to be but I don't feel it was sufficiently explained and it's not something that just makes sense on its own IMO.
The 3ER is the repository for all human knowledge. Destroying him would erase humans from existence completely even in memory (complete darkness).

I saw that part. That reasoning just seems weak to me. If 3ER was literally all that was left of humanity, I don't see why it matters that much.

It feels like NK was stuck between being a force of nature and some revenge story. If he is a force of nature, imo it shouldn't matter if 3ER lives much less if NK is the one to deal the death blow. If it's a revenge story NK didn't get near enough characterization imo.

I know a bunch of people responded to you, so my response may have been lost in the shuffle, but on top of the human history part, you have to remember that the original 3ER has basically been influencing events since the last time the WW came down 1,000 years ago in order to protect humanity from them. We have seen that Bran can influence the past, and the NK seems to know exactly what he is, so I think he knows Bran can alter basically anything he wants. It makes sense for him to consider Bran the biggest obstacle to complete domination.

And Bran proved that, by arming Arya with the dagger that kills him.
AustinAg2K
BowSowy said:

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

I've now watched the episode twice, I figured out my biggest issue with it. I'll preface this with stating that I really enjoyed the episode. I have no issues with the glaring strategical issues on the side of the living; however, I cannot get past the continuous continuity errors.

They are just obnoxiously evident on repeat viewing. Characters who were previously surrounded on all sides, suddenly surrounded on one side, or not surrounded at all anymore. Greyjoys being immediately overrun, then suddenly not. The continuity errors were just nonstop every 2-3 minutes for about a 30-40 minute stretch. If you don't believe me, have a rewatch. These are issues that could easily have been fixed, it's really just sloppy filmmaking.
The biggest one for me, and the one that pissed me off, was how Grey Worm was at the front of the Unsullied army when the wave of wights hit then a few minutes later, he's destroying the moat bridge behind the Unsullied army.
I feel like it really makes Grey Worm seem dishonorable. He basically let all the other Unsullied die, while he's like, "I'm out."
Ranger222
AG
Can we talk a little about Melisandre in terms of her role in this entire series? I'm fine with everything she did last night. Lit some swords, lit some wood, told Arya what her true purpose was. Ok great, no problems here.

I'm just not satisfied with her ending and really her meaning. So her destiny was to strike out the terror of the night and bring light -- accomplished. But why then, if this was her real purpose, was she messing around with Stannis for so long and his pursuit of the Iron Throne? She just realized after she left Winterfell what her true purpose is and just been hanging out?

We can say that her line to Arya about stamping out "blue eyes" and the call back to season 4 (?) was "great writing", but when she first found Arya with Gendry, she cared little about her if she knew then that Arya would ultimately kill the NK and that was Melisandre's true mission in the assist. She still cared more about Gendry then! I think it was more of the writers going back and using something of little consequence back in season 4 to play it up here because it was convenient. "Blue eyes" was not even emphasized in Melisandre's quote in season 4.

And this also plays into what the 'Lord of Light' wants with Jon and his true purpose....she says that Beric has served his purpose and now will die once the LoL is finished with him. Well....the NK is defeated. What is Jon's purpose now with the LoL? Here is a bigger question -- once that task is completed, is Jon just gonna die as he was brought back to serve one role?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
AustinAg2K said:

BowSowy said:

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

I feel like it really makes Grey Worm seem dishonorable. He basically let all the other Unsullied die, while he's like, "I'm out."

He got a taste of that pooosay and is hooked
First Page Last Page
Page 184 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.