****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,587 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
bearamedic99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And could we quit calling them dragons?

They're wyverns...
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
bearamedic99 said:

They're wyverns...

Their mother calls them dragons...so I'm gonna call them dragons.
canadiaggie
AG
bearamedic99 said:

They're wyverns...

PatAg
AG
When in doubt, call them what the author of the book calls them.
aggietony2010
AG
That doesn't prove that the symbol is not related to the Targaryens in any way.

I'm not saying that it is. But why is the Targaryen symbol stylized they way it is? We know that both the Targaryens and the Children of the Forest are strongly linked to the magic system of Planetos. What if the symbols look similar not because one copied the other, but because they both arise from the same common power from millennia ago?
MaroonStain
AG
I believe wyverns are a subspecies of dragon.
MaroonStain
AG
LOOK! The NK is a Targ and is trying to tell Dany that 'Hey! Join me and we kill all. You can keep the South and I will go back North."

Just let things develop, people! Ammit...

Wait...that makes no sense...carry on...
PatAg
AG
They don't look similar
aggietony2010
AG
PatAg said:

They don't look similar

I mean, aside from both being basically the same spiral, not at all. You can argue that there's not a connection, but not that they don't look similar. I immediately thought Targaryen sigil as soon as it went up in flame, and I wasn't the only one.

That didn't make me think "OMG NIGHT KING IS A TARG", but that these sources of magic are all connected in some way. We know that magic on Planetos ebbs and flows, and that the presence of dragons is linked to this. It's not that farfetched to see the CotF magic as the opposite side of the same coin from Dragon magic, or simply just a different manifestation of it.
Stive
AG
Pretty sure NONE of that is going to play into the final season.

ETA: The focus has been on how to defeat him and his army. Not who he is, what kind of magic he possesses, who his ancestors were, etc. They'll battle him, figure out a way to defeat him or flee from him long enough to regroup and defeat him later. It will then shift to Kings Landing and the Iron Throne.
aggietony2010
AG
Stive said:

Pretty sure NONE of that is going to play into the final season.

That much I'll agree on, other than maybe a simple acknowledgement that the magic is connected in someway. But even that I doubt.

I wouldn't be shocked if there's more of a link in the books, and that this is an artifact of that as well. But those will likely never be finished...though with GRRMs penchant for Westerosi side projects, it's more likely we get a spin-off book of the Age of Heroes history than the completion of the main series.

And to agree with your second half, the only way it comes into play at all is if it is necessary as some sort of cosmic balance (the dragons/Dany must be sacrificed to turn him back or some such thing like that).
BCG Disciple
AG
When the thread evolves into a debate of dragon nomenclature and/or the biological classification of a mythical animal, the nerds have completely taken over. This is a SHOW thread - go back to your book thread nerds!
PatAg
AG
One is a three headed dragon, to represent the original 3 Targaryen and 3 dragons they rode

The other is a spiral pattern the children of the forest used
PatAg
AG
Post the two pictures, then reply once to it to say 'similar" and the second reply "not"
Then see what gets more blue stars.

Full disclosure,
If similar gets more, I'll still say they aren't
Txgunrnnr
AG

I'll just leave this here for your viewing pleasure.
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
emtes
AG
Bc they children of the forest were using the symbol before the Targs existed.
redline248
AG
The spiral and the dragon sigil don't look anything alike.
G Martin 87
AG
8:02 Day
FightinTexasAg15
AG
For what it's worth -

"Dave Hill, writer of Winterfell, explained to the New York Post: "As we saw with Bran and the Three-Eyed Raven, the spiral pattern was sacred to the Children of the Forest, who created the Night King by sacrificing a captured man in a spiral "henge of stones." The Night King then adopted the symbol as a sort of blasphemy, like Satan with the upside-down cross."
Post removed:
by user
Hey...so.. um
MyNameIsKyle said:

I'm sure this is addressed somewhere in this thread, so apologies, but the Night King is likely of Targaryen descent, yes? Is it possible he has a direct line to succession?

I can't imagine that's the direction the show runners take it, but given his ability to ride a dragon (presuming his magic doesn't break the Dragon Rider precedent) I can't help but think his origin story will soon play a significant role.

He can't be Targ i dont think because he was one id the first men when the targs were still in essos. More likely he has ties to the starks.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
MyNameIsKyle said:

I'm sure this is addressed somewhere in this thread, so apologies, but the Night King is likely of Targaryen descent, yes? Is it possible he has a direct line to succession?

I can't imagine that's the direction the show runners take it, but given his ability to ride a dragon (presuming his magic doesn't break the Dragon Rider precedent) I can't help but think his origin story will soon play a significant role.

No he is not Targaryen.... not likely anyway. Much more likely he is a Stark. The CotF created him after capturing one of the First Men who were most likely Starks.

Targaryens did not come to Westeros until 300 years ago and the NK was created 1000s of years ago.

His ability to ride the dragon is probably more due to his ability to control other dead beings - might be more like Bran's warging ability.

PS - there is nothing in the books that says only Targaryens can ride dragons, in fact non Targaryens have been dragon riders.
Hey...so.. um
Only 12ish hours until ep. 2. I think ep. 2 has the potential to be a dud though. It will end with the battle of winterfell starting so the only thing that would make it awesome is jon dropping his lineage on dany.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Hey...so.. um said:

Only 12ish hours until ep. 2. I think ep. 2 has the potential to be a dud though. It will end with the battle of winterfell starting so the only thing that would make it awesome is jon dropping his lineage on dany.

I personally think the surprises start here - maybe not the end result of them but we'll find out a few things or have curveballs that are going to put a kink in someone's plans. They are then distracted by having to fight the BoW so things are put on the backburner.
Hey...so.. um
I agree, there just won't be any resolution of anything in ep. 2. I hooe we get something on the NK.

His storyline is the most interesting.
agrams
AG
I bet they resolve jaime's importance to bran and jaime's critical role vs the nk.
Hey...so.. um
agrams said:

I bet they resolve jaime's importance to bran and jaime's critical role vs the nk.

I hope I'm wrong, but it seems pretty obvious that Bran will be the one to come to Jamie's aid in the "trial" I would love to see Jamie executed old school GoT style. You hate it, it doesn't make sense, but it is what happens.
agrams
AG
I think so too, just dont know why yet...
redline248
AG
Hey...so.. um said:

I agree, there just won't be any resolution of anything in ep. 2. I hooe we get something on the NK.

What story line? That he wants to kill or turn every human?
agrams
AG
that's the tease... bran waiting on him is because he does have some bigger story line we arent aware of yet... hope to learn more of what it is.
BCG Disciple
AG
Would like to see more of the NK story. This is not your typical good v evil story - the lines will be blurred. Most likely the NK saw dragon magic, southern instability, and those born as part of the "prophecy" as an affront on his kind. He is acting in defense of his kind, just like those on the other side. There is a lot to mine here, and I doubt there is time to meaningfully get into it.
Hey...so.. um
redline248 said:

Hey...so.. um said:

What story line? That he wants to kill or turn every human?

His story has to be deeper than just kill and turn everything in westeros. If that is all we get, i will be highly disappointed. That can't be his endgame. I know that is what jon and the others think, but i hope they are wrong and there is more why to his slow march southward.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Happy GoT day!
Hey...so.. um
Totally agree with the above post.
First Page Last Page
Page 103 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.