*** SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING *** (Spoilers / Reactions)

27,307 Views | 247 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Quad Dog
GiveEmHellBill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Whos Juan said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

One more piece of universe-expanding importance:

The actor who portrayed Peter's high school principal is the same actor who was one of Cap's Howling Commandos in WWII.

Could he be another unfrozen Super Soldier who decided to live a quiet life as a school administrator?

He's Jim Morita's grandson. He had a framed picture of Jim in his office.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
WHAT THE ****!
TennAg
when i say *****,
you say parker
AMW2010
AG
aggie1906 said:

Quote:

Iron spider suit!!
?

At the end of the movie, tony offers peter to join he avengers, and offered him a new suit...it's not the comic version of the iron spider suit with mechanical legs, but it has a ribblett plate and looks more iron man than Spider-Man and looks awesome!
Farmer1906
AG
AMW2010 said:

aggie1906 said:

Quote:

Iron spider suit!!
?

At the end of the movie, tony offers peter to join he avengers, and offered him a new suit...it's not the comic version of the iron spider suit with mechanical legs, but it has a ribblett plate and looks more iron man than Spider-Man and looks awesome!

Ohhh

It looked like a suit from the upcoming game (PS4) and not much like the comic. I guess I don't don't get it.
Philo B 93
I liked the reference to Tobey and Kirstin's famous kiss.
Noblemen06
AG
Ending and 2nd Post-credits scenes.
TheDoctor
AG
This was everything I wanted.

Nothing else to say.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Just got back. Was a ton of fun and a great movie. Would see again
Vince Blake
Enjoyable film. They should keep the former Batmans as villains train rolling. Christian Bale would be an excellent Norman Osborn/Green Goblin.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Mad Dog Williams said:

Enjoyable film. They should keep the former Batmans as villains train rolling. Christian Bale would be an excellent Norman Osborn/Green Goblin.

Val Kilmer as the Kingpin?
SeattleAgJr
Bruce Almighty said:

Mad Dog Williams said:

Val Kilmer as the Kingpin?
we already have a Kingpin.
swimmerbabe11
Tbh when the door opened and Liz's dad appeared, I thought he'd kidnapped Liz at first.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Mad Dog Williams said:

In all honesty, I hope that we never see Norman, Harry or Oscorp.

There have been two previous Spider-Man series and two previous versions of the Osbornes. Maybe just leave them out of this one.
agenjake
swimmerbabe11 said:

Tbh when the door opened and Liz's dad appeared, I thought he'd kidnapped Liz at first.
Same here.
agenjake
Here's my only beef with the plot:

It's moving day. Happy and crew load up millions and millions of dollars worth of gear, including Thor's belt. Then they don't even put a single guard or drone Iron Man suit in the airplane? Tony already knew there was someone out there stealing alien tech.
swimmerbabe11
Yeah that was dumb. In reality, coulson and crew would be in charge of moving it. (Hence the call out with the reflective material..alias geeked out about that)

However, with your last sentence, the whole point was that Tony and Happy were underestimating the enemy. I mean, the FBI were not equipped to take down the situation on the ferry and yet Tony was gloating that he had it handled by getting police involved.
agenjake
That's a fair point.
AliasMan02
AG
My review without reading any other impressions. Saw it this morning in 2D.

It was great. If anything held it back, it was not the script or performances or effects, but just the unavoidable fact that it's the third modern telling of Spider-Man with a different Peter Parker. That does little to detract, though, and much of why the movie was great was thanks to the writers' conscious understanding of possible "Spidey fatigue" and how they made decisions to deliberately avoid those sticking points.

I'm gonna talk about that in a second, but first a few of the big things just to get them out of the way:

The whole cast was nails, especially Holland. Spidey fit seamlessly into the MCU. The movie had tons of great "little things" from the MCU that were a lot of fun. They also did a good job of setting up things for down the line without having to constantly wink at the audience.

So, on to the main thing I love about this movie: whenever the writers could divert away from doing it the same way as one of the previous versions, they did. Some of these things were pulled from comics, and other were knew. A quick list:

- Mae finds out that Peter is Spidey
- Peter has a friend that is not his love interest or the villain
- Peter is a dweeb, but not some total outcast
- Peter has a mentor who is not the villain
- Peter has a villain who is not his mentor or rival
- Peter does not unmask in front of everyone
- Peter is not tortured and angsty throughout the whole movie
- Hey, how many times did Uncle Ben get mentioned? How about ZERO? Only slightly referenced once.
- No mention of Great Power/Great Responsibility.
- The villain lives
- etc.

They made almost every possible choice they could the OPPOSITE of what previous incarnations did. And boy, did it pay off.

On to the suit. It was brilliant. It was the essence of the MCU, from how it looked to how it operated. To have it be anything else would seem so wrong in the MCU. And, the most brilliant thing about it was Karen, because it gave Spidey someone to be funny with when he was being Spidey. Other incarnations of Spider-Man haven't been funny enough, which is a common complaint, but Karen allowed that to happen very organically. The Vulture suit was also awesome.

The other huge win for the movie was that I thought it blended the teenage, high school, coming of age story very well with the superhero story. That's not a genre I have an encyclopedic knowledge of, but Peter Parker and his friends could well have been a character ripped out of Edge of Seventeen or The Way, Way Back or whatever. Hell, MJ could have BEEN Ally Sheedy in The Breakfast Club. It was like a teenage movie except that instead of ditching Liz and his friends and his guardian to hook up with a girl or talk about his feelings with the janitor or whatever, he was being rebellious saving the city on his own terms while ducking Stark.

Which leads me into another great aspect of the movie. When Toomes opened the door at Liz's house, I thought for sure that he had figured out Peter's secret and was keeping Liz hostage somewhere. I felt stupid after, because maybe I should have expected him to be the connecting point of the stories, but it surprised me. I can't help but think that I fell for something that I was SUPPOSED to fall for. I liked it.

Finally, I thought the movie was very tightly written. Peter didn't make decisions that I didn't understand. He was consistently who he was throughout the movie, with good motivations and character. He constantly strove to prove he could do more than he was allowed to do, and took every opportunity to push against that limitation. When he got the "dad talk" from Toomes, we think that maybe he considered backing down, but we then find out that he NEVER wavered. He was going to go after Toomes no matter what. He learned and grew over his adventure until he realized that he wasn't really ready, not just as a superhero, but because he wasn't ready to leave his "normal" life. But, he tasted the big time and now has something to really strive for.

If the movie had any downsides, I didn't love the score, and I thought the CG was a little shaky here and there, but overall those are very minor complaints.

I'm sure I'll think of more things as it simmers, and as I read your thoughts. I'm not ready to rank the movies, but it's up there. If this had been just the second incarnation of the character and not the third, it would rival for the top spot with Iron Man, Cap 2, Avengers, and the few others held in the highest regard, and it still might despite the lingering effects of "Spidey fatigue." I have to let it percolate.

One last thing that is a far-flung prediction: assuming Holland takes the long view and doesn't go all nuts or anything, Peter Parker will eventually (by the end of Phase 4) end up taking the mantle of Iron Man and the Spider-Man mantle will pass to Miles Morales (which is the no-brainer part of that prediction).
AliasMan02
AG
After reading, I'm glad everyone else loved the Toomes/dad twist.
AgPediRPh
AG
Good movie, not great. Still far behind Spider-man and especially Spider-man 2.

The talking suit got annoying after a while.
And too many artistic liberties taken with Flash Thompson: academic nerd, Pakistani, dad bod...no!

Michael Keaton was great and I loved seeing actors from my favorite shows (Fargo, Silicon Valley, Fargo).
AliasMan02
AG
jjmanzano said:

And too many artistic liberties taken with Flash Thompson: academic nerd, Pakistani, dad bod...no!

I should have added this to my list of departures. The traditional comic book version of Flash doesn't fit at all in a modern setting and would have been very out of place. The only way he would have fit would have been to not have them at the magnet school, but modern Peter would definitely have been at the magnet school.

You could argue that they could have just eliminated Flash, but Peter needed a bully/foil among his peer group in the story, especially with it being the teenage/high school sort of drama. So then you'd have put the same character in with a different name and you'd just never have Flash at all. I'm good with how they did it. Flash's most important characteristic is that he makes Peter's high school life hell. He doesn't need to be a white football star with a flattop to do that.
swimmerbabe11
It was refreshing to have a non-aryan preppy jock bully, but Flash wasn't even *cool*. He was just as dweeby as peter, except for the dj bit. Peter being better than him at the decathlon stuff makes it even worse.

That and the really inconsistent score/soundtrack were the only things that bugged me.
Andyzipp
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

It was refreshing to have a non-aryan preppy jock bully, but Flash wasn't even *cool*. He was just as dweeby as peter, except for the dj bit. Peter being better than him at the decathlon stuff makes it even worse.

It was more of a class struggle. Flash was an obnoxious, wealthy bully, ala James Spader in Pretty in Pink.
swimmerbabe11
Right, I just don't feel like that was even very well fleshed out. There wasn't really any good conflict there.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I thought the score was among the best parts of the movie. I liked how Michael Gia...(f it, not trying to spell that guy's name) wove in some familiar Avengers themes with the Vulture theme.
TennAg
AliasMan02 said:

- Peter is not tortured and angsty throughout the whole movie

I think this was the best move of all. The "tortured intellectual teen" idea has been so overcooked that I think it's the main cause of any character fatigue. I enjoyed the earnest positivity quite a bit.

I also agree that they didn't flesh out the flash character too well but i have the feeling this was a simple introduction with more to come. I loved the move of the dumbest geek being the bully.
swimmerbabe11
swimmerbabe11
It occurs to me that all they really would have needed to do was put the party at Flash' s house instead and make a quip about him having the money. It would explain so much.
SeattleAgJr
Zendaya/Michelle/MJ is NOT MJ Watson.

Den of Geek spoke to Kevin Feige about the film's biggest twists and turns, when they asked him about the phrase and what it means for Zendaya moving forward. What is so interesting about his answer, is him stating Michelle is not Mary Jane Watson at all, but that the initials have been used to generate a similar goal.
Quote:

In setting up this will be a very different thing, she's not Mary Jane Watson, that's not who the character is. But giving her the initials that remind you of that dynamic certainly is intriguing about what could go forward.
rhutton125
AG
My only "complaint" was that Michelle is nothing like MJ, so when I read that she's not meant to be Mary Jane at all, I was relieved.
Noblemen06
AG
rhutton125 said:

My only "complaint" was that Michelle is nothing like MJ, so when I read that she's not meant to be Mary Jane at all, I was relieved.
So you're complaining that you're relieved?
TennAg
swimmerbabe11 said:

It occurs to me that all they really would have needed to do was put the party at Flash' s house instead and make a quip about him having the money. It would explain so much.

I think the party needed to be at Liz's house to set up Vulture's realization in the car. It also made for a better reveal when it was he who opened the door of a house we already knew.
rhutton125
AG
Nah - I'm relieved and officially withdraw my nitpick.
MAT
AG
rhutton125 said:

I know you withdrew this complaint, but in what way did you mean Michelle is nothing like MJ? Personality, look,...?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.