*** SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING *** (Spoilers / Reactions)

27,204 Views | 247 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Quad Dog
FL_Ag1998
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MAT said:

rhutton125 said:

My only "complaint" was that Michelle is nothing like MJ, so when I read that she's not meant to be Mary Jane at all, I was relieved.
I know you withdrew this complaint, but in what way did you mean Michelle is nothing like MJ? Personality, look,...?

I'd say in every conceivable way.
SeattleAgJr
FL_Ag1998 said:

MAT said:

rhutton125 said:

My only "complaint" was that Michelle is nothing like MJ, so when I read that she's not meant to be Mary Jane at all, I was relieved.
I know you withdrew this complaint, but in what way did you mean Michelle is nothing like MJ? Personality, look,...?

yep.

Not white. I bring this up because it is not true to the character that people know and want to see.
Not a hot redhead.
Not a brash redhead.
Not a confident redhead.

As others have said, she is a perfect clone of Ally Sheedy from Breakfast Club.
That is not MJ at all.
MAT
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

MAT said:

rhutton125 said:

yep.

Not white. I bring this up because it is not true to the character that people know and want to see.
Not a hot redhead.
Not a brash redhead.
Not a confident redhead.

As others have said, she is a perfect clone of Ally Sheedy from Breakfast Club.
That is not MJ at all.

I think in the future films she will emerge as all of those things except white and redhead.
Come to think of it, she is already half white and redhead is always a possibility.
SeattleAgJr
she is not MJ Watson per Fiege.
swimmerbabe11
TennAg said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

It occurs to me that all they really would have needed to do was put the party at Flash' s house instead and make a quip about him having the money. It would explain so much.

I think the party needed to be at Liz's house to set up Vulture's realization in the car. It also made for a better reveal when it was he who opened the door of a house we already knew.

There was no reason to think that her parents were in the house/knew about the party with the way the party scene was set up. In fact, when she mentioned it in the car, i specifically thought it was dumb because it definitely was played as a "parents out of town" party with her having to check on the glass breaking. If they wanted us to think of that as an event her parents were a part of, when the glass broke, she should have said something about getting there because her parents were in the backyard or similar.

She could have easily said something about him disappearing at a party she was at instead. He could have had the same realization.

Personally, peter having been at the house before made no extra impression to me , especially since it never occurred to me that they had been in the house at the same time before (until car when she mentioned the party)
swimmerbabe11
Also, what jerk parents don't stop a dj from yelling a kids name and *****?

And red solo cups = alcohol. If they don't want you to think that, they should mention sodas.
TennAg
Swimmer, keep in mind Vulture knew exactly where his guys were firing the magic weapons and where he had to go intercept spider-man. He knew it was close to his house. Also, i think it was more set up as a spoiled child "party when she wants" kind of thing, he wasn't out of town, just at work. But who knows really, just my impressions.
fig96
AG
Just back and absolutely loved it, definitely my fave of the Spidey films and up there in the MCU.

Couple notes:

- Love the use of alien tech woven into the plot. Really explained Vulture's abilities, gave them a clear motivation for doing what they're doing, expands the impact of the Battle of New York. Great choice.

- MJ was absolutely hilarious. I'd argue that while she's not confident in a traditional take charge kind of way, she absolutely was confident in just being who she was.

- Didn't see the dad twist coming but it was brilliant. Interesting to hear his comments at the prison as well, bit of a debt of gratitude I guess.

- Agreed that Karen was a great way to explore a bit more of Peter's personality without loads of forced internal monologuing.

Interesting that worked an Ultimate Spider-Man/Miles Morales reference in there with Prowler, next years CG animated Spider-Man feature will feature him so I'm curious if that will relate back to this universe in any way.
Cromagnum
AG
Best Spiderman is still #2 with Doc Ock. This one was just okay for me. I guess I'm just burned out on Spiderman already.
AliasMan02
AG
fig96 said:

Interesting that worked an Ultimate Spider-Man/Miles Morales reference in there with Prowler, next years CG animated Spider-Man feature will feature him so I'm curious if that will relate back to this universe in any way.

They've kinda been all over the place on that. At one point it was supposed to be the origin story for the MCU Spidey, but they've moved on to Miles Morales. But the movie happens too soon for it to be an MCU movie, right? Because there's no way they'll want that to be in the canon and introduced that way.
fig96
AG
AliasMan02 said:

fig96 said:

They've kinda been all over the place on that. At one point it was supposed to be the origin story for the MCU Spidey, but they've moved on to Miles Morales. But the movie happens too soon for it to be an MCU movie, right? Because there's no way they'll want that to be in the canon and introduced that way.
Based on the general timeline of the current MCU Spidey, I'd guess they're not connected. They'll probably want to put some distance between them age-wise, I'd bet we won't see Miles introduced in the MCU till sometime later in Phase 4.

He's too ideal of a character for them not to use at some point, especially as they've got a great lead in with the nod to him in Homecoming. Will also be interesting to see if Prowler plays a role later on.
jac4
AG
I really enjoyed the movie.

It kind of reminded me of Ant Man. My expectations were relatively low for a Marvel movie, but it was a lot of fun. I enjoyed the way a lot of the stuff fit in, like the principal having war memorabilia in his office. Really liked Keaton as the Vulture. His villainous turn was well developed and relatable.
***** spoilers below *****. On a mobile and I never do the spoiler labeling very well.

I didn't understand part of the final fight. Vulture is trying to fly off with a box from the wreckage, but Peter says "I'm trying to save you."

I think I missed Peter saying something like "that's Mr. Starks ________." His suit? Why would flying off with be lethal? TS seems to be pretty non lethal nowadays.

In addition, one thing that didn't make sense was the "lethal mode" of the Spider Suit. Seems inconsistent with TS tech from recent MCU movies.
rhutton125
AG
1) Most of the Avengers are lethal. That's one of the things that made the airport scene in Civil War different - if War Machine fought like crap, it's because he wasn't using all the bullets and instead was using tasers and stuff. Same for Black Widow and Bucky with no guns. Vision not demolishing someone. Etc

2) Peter was trying to prevent Vulture (whose suit was sparking and breaking) from flying off with arc reactors and detonating himself. At least that's how I interpreted it.
Farmer1906
AG
I went back and watched Spidey 1 and 2. They don't hold up as well as I remember. I don't quite get the love for Spiderman 2 like everyone else has.
KidDoc
AG
Loved it! Keaton as Vulture was a great villain topped only by Loki so far.

My only weird complaint was the girls in cheer leading outfits in the beginning hall scene. Do they cheer on the chess and robotics teams or something at this tech school?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
KidDoc said:

My only weird complaint was the girls in cheer leading outfits in the beginning hall scene. Do they cheer on the chess and robotics teams or something at this tech school?

Yes. Yes, they do.
AliasMan02
AG
KidDoc said:

Loved it! Keaton as Vulture was a great villain topped only by Loki so far.

That's funny.

But I think the real answer is that kids in magnet schools participate in athletics and band and stuff at another school.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
aggie1906 said:

I went back and watched Spidey 1 and 2. They don't hold up as well as I remember. I don't quite get the love for Spiderman 2 like everyone else has.
I watched both of those not too long ago. Regarding #2, my sentiments exactly. But for #1, I think that one must have grown on me in the many years since I had first seen it. Really loved Willem Dafoe as the Green Goblin. But I never really liked Tobey Maguire in these movies, nor did I like Andrew Garfield that much. Tom Holland looks a lot more boy-ish, more like a teen, which is how I have always perceived Peter Parker.
jac4
AG
Really liked the Black Panther teaser too. Wanted MOAR though.

The Avengers F - M - K joke was the thing I probably laughed the hardest at.
CrazyDayDuck
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

aggie1906 said:

I watched both of those not too long ago. Regarding #2, my sentiments exactly. But for #1, I think that one must have grown on me in the many years since I had first seen it. Really loved Willem Dafoe as the Green Goblin. But I never really liked Tobey Maguire in these movies, nor did I like Andrew Garfield that much. Tom Holland looks a lot more boy-ish, more like a teen, which is how I have always perceived Peter Parker.

Definitely true about Dafoe. His performance in Spidey 1 was right up their Jack Nicholson's in Batman, as well as Heath Ledger's in The Dark Knight and Tom Hardy's in The Dark Knight Rises.

A Super Hero needs a worthy adversary, and a great actor playing that role really ads to the flick.

One also has to keep in mind that Original Super Hero movies quench a built up hunger. Hence why they often have more sentimental value than sequels or remakes.

As far as original Super Hero movies, I believe Spidey is tops and now Wonder Woman is #2, domestically at least.

I also love the Bruce Campbell cameos in the Maguire Spider-Man movies, especially when he gives Spidey his name at the cage wrestling match. "The Human Spider?! That sucks! SPIDER-MAN!!"
AustinAg2K
Saw it today and loved it. My initial reaction is that it's the best Spider-Man, and up there for the best super hero movie. I watched Wonder Woman a few weeks ago, and enjoyed it, but watching Spider-Man today reminded me that Marvel is light years beyond DC as far as the movies go.

My only complaint is that I felt like Stark gave Peter too much tech. I've always thought of Peter as the smartest comic book super hero. I didn't really like the idea that Tony Stark basically made everything for him (expect the webbing). It did allow them to give Peter a bit of starry eyed wonder as he learns about the suit, but I thought maybe it went too far. I might have just had Stark give Peter a suit that shrinks, and then have Peter and Ned modify it to add all the different web shooters and stuff.
Bobcat06
AG
Only thing that bothered me was that it took place 8 years after Avengers.

When did the Avengers take place in the MCU? If it was 2012 (when the movie came out) then Homecoming (and Civil War) is set in 2020
Bruce Almighty
AG
Bobcat06 said:

Only thing that bothered me was that it took place 8 years after Avengers.

When did the Avengers take place in the MCU? If it was 2012 (when the movie came out) then Homecoming (and Civil War) is set in 2020

It may be 8 years in movie time, but do we know for sure Avengers took place in 2012? Iron Man was in 2008 and Iron Man 2, Hulk and Thor all took place the same week one year later (Fury's big week). If Avengers took place 1 year later after Thor, then that means it's set in 2010.
Philo B 93
I haven't heard much from him recently, but William Katt would have killed the roll of Spider-Man in this movie.
lunchbox
jac4 said:

I didn't understand part of the final fight. Vulture is trying to fly off with a box from the wreckage, but Peter says "I'm trying to save you."
I could be wrong but I remember Peter mumbling something to himself about how the crate was going to explode before he yelled that he was trying to save him.
Philip J Fry
AG
lunchbox said:

jac4 said:

I could be wrong but I remember Peter mumbling something to himself about how the crate was going to explode before he yelled that he was trying to save him.

Radiation causes the alien stuff to explode...hence the elevator scene. Tony Stark's power thing-a-ma-jig emits radiation. Therefore, Spider-Man was actually trying to save him from being blown up.
swimmerbabe11
Bruce Almighty said:

Mad Dog Williams said:

Enjoyable film. They should keep the former Batmans as villains train rolling. Christian Bale would be an excellent Norman Osborn/Green Goblin.

Val Kilmer as the Kingpin?

Vincent D'onofrio is Kingpin. Can't undo that.
M.C. Swag
AG
Not gonna lie, Gilfoyle was super distracting.
hurleyag
AG
Liked it, but didn't love it.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Is Peter being set up to be the lynch that puts the Avengers back together? Well him and Black Panther.
TexasAggie_02
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Mad Dog Williams said:

Enjoyable film. They should keep the former Batmans as villains train rolling. Christian Bale would be an excellent Norman Osborn/Green Goblin.

sure you can. the TV shows have acknowledged the movies, but the movies have not acknowledged they shows at all. Josh whedon said leading up to Ultron that the didn't care what was going happening on TV, that coulson was dead.

i think when the TV stuff started, everyone at disney had rose colored glasses on thinking that everything was going to fit together, but I get the feeling that has gone by the wayside, and that there is a movie universe and a TV universe. the TV guys really want it to fit in the bigger picture, but the movie folks don't really care.

If Marvel wants a movie kingpin after infinity war, then they will have one.
Bruce Almighty
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Mad Dog Williams said:

It was a Val Kilmer is fat joke, Drax.
swimmerbabe11
To recreate a character that was so well done would be completely idiotic and detrimental to the Marvel Universe IMO.
M.C. Swag
AG
Agreed. I thought the opening sequence with the home-made video was a lil clunky/cringey and lasted a bit too long. The high school dilemmas were fine but it felt like we were being bludgeoned over the head with inclusion ideals. Like, I could see the casting director checking off an ethnicity box with every character. That's not to say that's a bad thing, but it was certainly distracting. Specifically in the case of Flash. I don't understand what they were going for...he's short with a full-fledged dad bod AND he's dumber than the core group of characters? Why is this guy a bully? P3nis Parker? That's the best he could do? I'd actually laugh at his ineptitude and feel like he fits the bill for loser more than anyone else in the school.

Keaton was good and I loved his look as vulture. He was actually super intimidating with or without the suit on and his motivations were simple and concise. I liked the car scene with Peter outside the school, but I didn't like how Vulture pieced together Spiderman's identity. It seemed like the writer shoe horned that sequence just to setup the car scene. The conversation just didn't flow naturally at all. I think I would have preferred if he didn't ever find out (or maybe found out during the final conflict) who spiderman was.

I was a little disappointed with the fight scenes. I thought Homecoming had the least impressive choreography of any other Spiderman film (Spiderman 2 set the bar with the train sequence). The fight scenes here just seemed loud and generic.

Overall, Tom Holland might be the best casted Spiderman. Marvel continues to nail the casting where it counts. As far as soft-reboots goes, I thought this was about as good as could be expected with all the different Peter Parkers we've seen in such a short time span. It was funny and the scope was focused perfectly. It may not be the best comic movie ever created, but it certainly achieved it's objective; I want to see more Spiderman.

Oh and I actually got some sick enjoyment with all the Star Wars shoutouts. Disney is ruthless in their box office domination and I love it.
swimmerbabe11
Quote:

Specifically in the case of Flash. I don't understand what they were going for...he's short with a full-fledged dad bod AND he's dumber than the core group of characters? Why is this guy a bully? P3nis Parker? That's the best he could do? I'd actually laugh at his ineptitude and feel like he fits the bill for loser more than anyone else in the school.

I'm telling you, if they would have played up the "he's rich, so people put up with him" vibe and had the party at his house, it would have fixed *so much*

besides the fact, if I have a crush on a guy, I'm not letting a guy on my academic decathlon team humiliate him at my party.

Put the party at his place and him being the dj makes way more sense.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.