This is Us

33,072 Views | 242 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Rudyjax
Human
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rascal said:

Unthought Known said:

Human said:

Rascal said:

My wife and I love this show, but I'll admit I've been waiting for the proverbial gay storyline to drop and last night we finally got it.

The gay agenda showed up

Why do you care?
Again, because the promotion of the gay agenda continues to be pervasive no matter what channel you tune to these days. For a segment that represents less than 3% of the population, the entertainment world portrays it in every single piece of work as if it's "the norm" or representative of 50% of the population.

It's not, so put me in the camp that is annoyed when this happens. To me, a great new TV show that has had me hooked for 10 episodes, now has given me a different feel and opinion.

So Randall, the adopted black son who was lied to by his mother, is all hell bent over her deception, but the first whiff he gets that his long lost and dying father is gay, well, he just grins and chuckles it off like it's no big deal (and so does his daughter). Yeah, that's a normal situation right there isn't it.

Sorry to derail this thread, but Hollywood isn't sorry that once again it has used a large TV platform to put forth an agenda. It's annoying, and a shame. That's all.

Exactly. Well said!!

Why the need to be reminded by Hollywood is beyond me.
aTm2004
AG
The gay thing doesn't get me. What irritated me was what I guess is the closure of Randall and his mom's secret. The previous episode, she broke down after he confronted her at her house, but wouldn't let her speak. I was wanting to see her side of it and how he handled her reasoning for it.
Rudyjax
AG
aTm2004 said:

The gay thing doesn't get me. What irritated me was what I guess is the closure of Randall and his mom's secret. The previous episode, she broke down after he confronted her at her house, but wouldn't let her speak. I was wanting to see her side of it and how he handled her reasoning for it.

I think you'll see it. He didn't talk to her.
Tanya 93
aTm2004 said:

It didn't appear he was speaking to her.
Aggies76
AG
Quote:

The previous episode, she broke down after he confronted her at her house

Someone help me with this part. Randall says something like "You kept that secret for 36 years. That must have been ____." And then she breaks down. Is he saying "That must have been hard" ?
Candiru
AG
Lonely or incredibly lonely, I believe.
aTm2004
AG
Candiru said:

Lonely or incredibly lonely, I believe.

This.
Macarthur
Gota De Limon said:

Rascal said:

Unthought Known said:

Human said:

Rascal said:

My wife and I love this show, but I'll admit I've been waiting for the proverbial gay storyline to drop and last night we finally got it.

The gay agenda showed up

Why do you care?
Again, because the promotion of the gay agenda continues to be pervasive no matter what channel you tune to these days. For a segment that represents less than 3% of the population, the entertainment world portrays it in every single piece of work as if it's "the norm" or representative of 50% of the population.

It's not, so put me in the camp that is annoyed when this happens. To me, a great new TV show that has had me hooked for 10 episodes, now has given me a different feel and opinion.

So Randall, the adopted black son who was lied to by his mother, is all hell bent over her deception, but the first whiff he gets that his long lost and dying father is gay, well, he just grins and chuckles it off like it's no big deal (and so does his daughter). Yeah, that's a normal situation right there isn't it.

Sorry to derail this thread, but Hollywood isn't sorry that once again it has used a large TV platform to put forth an agenda. It's annoying, and a shame. That's all.

Get a grip. My god. Gay people exist. It's 2016 and most people accept them as fellow human beings hence the son and granddaughter "laughing it off".
Maybe get out of your bubble? The world can be a beautiful place if you stop looking at everything through your mad goggles.

This x1000

Chipotlemonger
AG
Caught up on the final two episodes. Great show. Randall is my favorite.
Trident 88
AG
I have no problem with the cancer-stricken dad being gay. IRL, it's none of my business, so as far as the show is concerned, I'm just not interested. Therefore, I hope the writers just leave it at that. It's simply not a storyline that interests me. It's become trite.
Rudyjax
AG
I can think of a dozen shows off the top of my head where a newly found dying biological father is gay.

Way over done. It's silly.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
I didn't take it as pushing any kind of gay agenda. I thought of it as just one more thing that Randall didn't know about his father. All part of getting to know someone. Plenty of surprises along the way.
Rascal
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

I didn't take it as pushing any kind of gay agenda. I thought of it as just one more thing that Randall didn't know about his father. All part of getting to know someone. Plenty of surprises along the way.
Oh, absolutely in and of itself, I agree. I guess my point was more of a larger one of the fact that this is yet another example (of many) of Hollywood taking another opportunity to intertwine this narrative or "agenda" or whatever you want to call it. Yes, they are winning the culture war.

For those criticizing me, I get it, I really do, "the debate is over", and I understand the sentiment to "just move on".

Sorry though, it's not in my nature to do that. Before the Obergefell decision, I treated all people like human beings and after Obergefell, I've treated all people like human beings, BUT it doesn't mean that I have to simply agree or even accept yet another aspect of life that I feel has trended in the wrong direction.

I'm one of the least courageous people I know, but I will continue to try and stand for Truth as much as possible.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
That's cool. The world would be a boring place if we all agreed on everything.

For me, I think of it this way: it's certainly true that the gay crowd makes up a relatively small percentage of the overall population. There also aren't many families with adopted "triplets". There aren't many families, relatively speaking, with children of different races. I haven't heard of too many families where twins are such polar opposites with regards to physical features that one would be a tv star known for his looks and the other would be battling a life-threatening case of obesity. I don't know anyone personally who has had someone collapse and die at their Christmas Eve party in front of the entire family. I don't know anyone who's mom married their dad's best friend after their dad passed away. I only know one person who has tried to find their biological father, and they didn't find him... but if they did, chances are he wouldn't be as interesting, as kind-hearted, or as insightful as William.

That's taking the long route to my point, and I understand that not all of those examples are perfect. But all of those little things, as common or uncommon as they may be in the real world, add up to an interesting story with interesting characters. Not everything will be a consistent reflection of your life or mine, and we may see some things as being overblown across different networks, but seeing something different is why we watch.

I get the point that representation of certain groups in Hollywood doesn't always match up with actual representation in everyday society, and maybe some could call that an agenda while some others would simply call it a case of producers wanting to make a successful, compelling story that gets ratings. But if someone made a tv show where everything made sense to me with regards to what I know from personal experience or what I know of the population as a whole, I probably wouldn't watch. I can already live that life without turning on the television.

It's just a story, told by people in the style that they wish to tell it. I can choose to watch or not watch, just as I can choose to be offended or not be offended. I choose to take it at face value and enjoy the show. When I stop enjoying it, I'll quit watching.

As we continue to learn things about each character, it never occurred to me to say, "Well of course William can play multiple musical instruments. Of course he writes poetry. Of course he's cleaned up." On average, William would probably be a pretty normal, boring guy in real life. It also never occurred to me to say something like, "Well of course William is gay. Hollywood strikes again!" To me, it's just another part of who he is. And until we see sexual preference as just another trait - just another piece of the puzzle when we're figuring out who the characters are - we'll continue to be offended by perceived agendas that might not be there at all.

Again, just my opinion. No more or less valid than yours. Cheers to different viewpoints.
Carlo4
AG
Caught up on the show. fantastic!

Had an old friend where his dad left his wife and three kids because he was gay.

It happens.

I'm sure part of the reason for writing that in is to get closure faster for the show progression. Dad had so much to deal with that he gave up his son to a great family...
Tanya 93
Last night's episode was stellar.

The birthday parties.
Randall and his bio dad.
Kevin realizing who he loves.
Creep at fat camp.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Still dreading the day when the dad dies. The shots of the funeral were tough enough.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Last night's episode was stellar.

The birthday parties.
Randall and his bio dad.
Kevin realizing who he loves.
Creep at fat camp.
Yup.

And can I just say (not an original thought by any means) that Mandy Moore is just freaking adorable. She's the kind of woman that in another life, I would wife so hard.
Tanya 93
I don't know if there is a big three show right now that is better than this one. They just nail it every episode.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I'd like to see a version of this show where the three siblings are trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic society. There would be flashbacks to their childhoods and we would be able to see how they survived the plague and downfall of society mixed in with their current struggles as they help a young orphan girl who's blood may be the key to a cure to get to a mythical city of survivors and scientists.

I'd call it "This Is the Last of Us."

I'd watch that show.
Rudyjax
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

Still dreading the day when the dad dies. The shots of the funeral were tough enough.

I don't think we're going to see it until William dies. They're going to have them both together.
Rudyjax
AG
It's my favorite show currently on tv.
BowSowy
AG
Bump. This show continues to hit it out of the park for the girlfriend and I. Looks like we're starting to get more resolution about Jack (I hope).
MECH Abe
AG
Just now seeing this thread, but no love for Dr. K? I know he's a minor side character, and I can't see how they're going to work him in much more, but his scene with Jack and the scene in the cemetery had me pretty choked up.
AgDC
That last scene with Kevin and Randal may be one of my favorite TV scenes in a very long time.
Tanya 93
AgDC said:

That last scene with Kevin and Randal may be one of my favorite TV scenes in a very long time.
Yep. I had an allergy attack during that scene.
Tanya 93
Didn't mean a smiley face
chick79
AG
My wife and I are really enjoying this! Clearly the best show on mainstream TV.
Btron
AG
Miguel's speech to Kevin was awesome and the highlight of the episode.
Jim01
AG
Agreed. Although it kind of bothered me that he left the play. I was literally talking to myself. "Don't leave. Don't leave. Tell your mom or sister that Randall needs help and send them! Don't leave!"

But then the last scene happened and I was overcome with the feels. :''')
Mozart Paintings
AG
I thought the fact that he left the play was stupid..... first time watching this show I've thought "give me a freaking break"

He was nervous as hell so found an excuse to run away.
Jim01
AG
Yeah I still don't really like it, but the ending softened the blow.

No idea how he's gonna undo the sheet show leaving will have caused though. I feel worst for the AT&T chick. He royally screwed her over twice now.
Sbisa04
AG
Yes even if he would have just said "family emergency I gotta go" it would have been better than hanging her out to dry
TP Ag '87
AG
LOL. I hadn't linked the playwright to the AT&T commercials. Probably can't take here seriously again.
jac4
AG
The last scene with Jack drinking the Maker's was the toughest for me. I mean we basically know alcoholism does him in, but he's my favorite character.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.