This is Us

33,047 Views | 242 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rudyjax
Smokedraw01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tanya 93 said:

Last night was incredible.

The therapy scenes were so uncomfortable and heartbreaking.

Agreed. I found they navigated the COVID and George Floyd material very well. The final scene sort of pissed me off though.
caleblyn
TitanAGGIE09 said:

Well this jumped the shark into wokeness and current events pretty quick. Told my wife I'm out pretty much from the get go on the premiere last night. I do not need to see a fictional show of people navigating their lives with Covid...
I told the wife that I was really wanting to sit down, separate from the 2020-chaos and watch something entertaining. She wanted it off in the first 5 minutes. We made it through the 2 hours, but I did not care for it...AT ALL!

I realize that mainstream media is going to gush over it, but look at the MLB, NBA, and NFL ratings. I realize that I am comparing sports and drama, but one could possibly glean some info from the compare.
caleblyn
Smokedraw01 said:

Tanya 93 said:

Agreed. I found they navigated the COVID and George Floyd material very well. The final scene sort of pissed me off though.
You quoted a quote from nearly 2 years ago! FYI
PermianBasinAggie
AG
So Randall is treating all the white people in his life like crap and Kate has a serious case of white guilt. This season is going to be loads of fun.
GIF Reactor
AG
caleblyn said:

Smokedraw01 said:

Tanya 93 said:

Proof that they reaaaallllyy know how to beat a dead horse on this show.
Smokedraw01
Electrical_Ag said:

caleblyn said:

Smokedraw01 said:

Tanya 93 said:

Proof that they reaaaallllyy know how to beat a dead horse on this show.
Honestly, it's just Parenthood 2.0 which was Brothers and Sisters 2.0 which was...
GIF Reactor
AG
Yeah, some of the elements are the same as previous shows and are just being re-hashed or told from a different perspective. Conflicts between family is universal. But I guess it would be fair to say that some of the topics are new for TV, or maybe new to me, like the stuff with their Uncle. But all I meant is they really get a lot of mileage out of some story lines and scenes that I feel is unnecessary. Some of it just feels like filler.

I do hope that the show goes off the rails at some point, and I think this may be the perfect time. Imagine the moment when Kevin's baby is born, the doctor has a puzzled look, and it turns out the baby is black? Randall was really the father. Oh snap. Or maybe even we find out there is a Fight Club Tyler Durden thing going on, where there is really only one person, but with a Randall, Kevin, and Kate personality that they constantly shift between. The Mom and Dad BOTH died in "the fire" and that sent Randall/Kevin/Kate spiraling out of control.
PermianBasinAggie
AG
I would call last night's final scene "off the rails". We're supposed to believe that Randall's birth mom, who seemed very invested in her future with William and this child, actually lived but disappeared and never talked to William again or tried to find Randall? And William never followed up to at least find out what they did with her body? I predict that we'll find out that Laurel did find Jack and Rebecca, but the mean white people wouldn't let her see Randall, making them the villains that kept him away from both of his black parents.
Smokedraw01
PermianBasinAggie said:

I would call last night's final scene "off the rails". We're supposed to believe that Randall's birth mom, who seemed very invested in her future with William and this child, actually lived but disappeared and never talked to William again or tried to find Randall? And William never followed up to at least find out what they did with her body? I predict that we'll find out that Laurel did find Jack and Rebecca, but the mean white people wouldn't let her see Randall, making them the villains that kept him away from both of his black parents.

I have a morbid sense of curiosity to see how they write that storyline.
Smokedraw01
caleblyn said:

Smokedraw01 said:

Tanya 93 said:

Jesus, I did! That makes me upset that could even happen.
Fenrir
Wife was watching it while I was working last night. I think I've watched 2 episodes before last night so I can't speak to what came before but as soon as that ending happened I asked my wife if they just jumped the shark.

That "twist" is something daytime soap operas get made fun of for doing.
10andBOUNCE
AG
My wife says this has been her favorite show possibly ever and we're now 15 minutes into the season premiere and she's about to bail.
chick79
AG
I just about gave up at the end of last season but the first 10 minutes of this new season has me completely done!
Sports-Ag
AG
The final scene I was like no way, just stop. Someone mentioned on here it felt like a soap opera ending which it did.

When he was talking to his therapist I was like let me guess he's going to leave her and go to a black therapist. Then the whole white guilt to Kate. It did feel kind of weird that the show was going off current events.

Also, how many times can they revisit when Rebecca gives birth? There's just always a different scene or angle there.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Randals birth mom still being alive would be a serious case of.....

aTmAg
AG
I bailed on this show a while back. Glad I did. Sounds like it has only gotten worse.
gravy97
AG
I gotta dissagree here. I thought it was great. I thought showing how Randal had to pretend to not be black growing up was huge. He has always done what was best for his white family and not brought up his pain. And for Malik to be the first person he ever said these things out loud to was great.

I'm not sure how they will work the birth mother story in. I couldn't understand how William wouldn't have gone back to the apartment unless he was scared of the cops and he just went into hiding. But you would think the mother could have found him at some point in the last 40 years before his death. I'll just enjoy the ride while they try to write themselves out of this tough corner.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
gravy97 said:

I gotta dissagree here. I thought it was great. I thought showing how Randal had to pretend to not be black growing up was huge. He has always done what was best for his white family and not brought up his pain. And for Malik to be the first person he ever said these things out loud to was great.

I'm not sure how they will work the birth mother story in. I couldn't understand how William wouldn't have gone back to the apartment unless he was scared of the cops and he just went into hiding. But you would think the mother could have found him at some point in the last 40 years before his death. I'll just enjoy the ride while they try to write themselves out of this tough corner.

I didn't have a problem w any other part of the episode. I'm totally ok with them mixing the current climate in as long as it doesn't mess with the supposedly already written ending.

I do however think it is absolutely absurd knowing what we already know about the William character and everything else that Randalls mom was alive all along. I see little chance of them being able to sell the viewer on that. It'll be a major negative turning point in the show. Think Pam's dream in Dallas.
GIF Reactor
AG
She was taken to the hospital, sent to rehab, relapsed when she found out William gave Randall away (somehow from afar so that William didn't know she survived), OD.
SquareOne07
AG
Having 3 kiddos, this has been one of the rare things that my wife and I sit down together for an extended period of time together during the week.

Last night...trash. I so badly just want an escape from all of the absurdity of 2020 and to go to one single place without being by lectured for something I didn't do or something I'm not.

I'll give them next week, but I'm definitely not going to make it a priority if this keeps up.
nosoupforyou
AG
SquareOne07 said:

Having 3 kiddos, this has been one of the rare things that he my wife and I sitting down together for an extended period of time together during the week.

Last night...trash. I so badly just want an escape from al of the absurdity of 2020 and to go to one single place without being by lectured for something I didn't do or something I'm not.

I'll give them next week, but I'm definitely not going to make it a priority if this keeps up.
this

I'm really frustrated because the show is really awesome - love the timelines and how the re-tell things from various points of view - love the acting

but I can't handle much more woke... maddening!!
Rascal
AG
nosoupforyou said:

SquareOne07 said:

Having 3 kiddos, this has been one of the rare things that he my wife and I sitting down together for an extended period of time together during the week.

Last night...trash. I so badly just want an escape from al of the absurdity of 2020 and to go to one single place without being by lectured for something I didn't do or something I'm not.

this

I'm really frustrated because the show is really awesome - love the timelines and how the re-tell things from various points of view - love the acting

but I can't handle much more woke... maddening!!

This and this.
Gigem314
AG
I'll give it another episode or two, but I was disappointed with the premier. Very forced and heavy handed on the George Floyd thing. Especially now that we know he had overdosed and was shutting down before the cops put him on the ground.

I get that they want to highlight that Randall has a different experience from his family as a black person and racial struggles. I'm not against that by any means. But the scene where he belittles Kate was way over done. Does anyone not think Kate has been through struggles with her weight and being wrongfully judged for her looks or been treated differently? But she needs to be scolded by persecuted Randall? Lazy writing.

And I don't like the way they had Randall throw Jack under the bus in the scene with Malik. It draws a complete contrast to the character of Jack they've built up from day 1 of the show.

If this turns into a storyline of "Everyone is extremely flawed and wrong except for poor poor Randall and his family" then I'm done.

My hope is they used the premier to highlight 2020 in a more heavy handed way...and from here things smooth out like the other Pearson struggles and we move on.

What I've always liked about the show was the way they highlighted the importance of family and father figures...and how everyone is flawed but trying to get better. That drew me to the show. I hope that doesn't change.
tylercsbn9
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Randals birth mom still being alive would be a serious case of.....

Just wait. She's going to be his new black therapist for added jumping the shark effect
SquareOne07
AG
Bumping for recent absurdity.
duck79
AG
Turned to my wife about 10-15 minutes into the show and said "At the end of the episode Randall is going to swim into the pond and yell to let out all of his anger". So predictable.

Then when he was swimming all my wife could say was "was it not awkward to anyone else that they have a 40 yr old Randall talking to his mom while he is skinny dipping". Lol
PermianBasinAggie
AG
Yeah, the final lake scene was super cringey. I think we all agree that retelling Randall's birth story to include Laurel not being dead is absurd. Putting that aside, her backstory was pretty interesting. But that lake scene... that was really, really bad.
Scotts Tot
AG
Not sure how many people are still watching this show but wow...jumped the shark big time. The story with Randall's mom seemed to be the beginning of the spiral, and now it feels like all bets are off. Also, in what world does the TSA let someone on a flight without any ID?

The show began as something thoughtful and creative and has devolved into a contrived drama-fest that's too ridiculous to take seriously.
SquareOne07
AG
Came here to see if anybody was still watching. Used to be something my wife and I would pause some of our crazy lives to watch, but it's becoming trash. Constant in your face covidiocy and white guilting. A huge shame.
Tanya 93
I just watch it on Hulu now

****ing tired of Randall constantly whining
nosoupforyou
AG
My wife and I are Still watching because once I start something I'm stuck to the end

It has my attention still and while 20% of it is political and very frustrating, the show is great overall still

Hope they get the message and back off all that crap as they finish the series this year and next year - so much potential
13B
I realize this is about "This is US" but they are also ruining "The Rookie" with Nathan Fillion. Both of these shows can be very entertaining but wokeness is ruining both of these shows.
aTmAg
AG
Liberalism ruins everything it touches.
Rudyjax
AG
The show seems to be written by people that haven't realized yet that everything that happens in your life isn't the fault of your parents.

Like y'all are grown ass adults. Take responsibility for your actions.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.