Game of Thrones - Season 7

1,124,545 Views | 7206 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
OnlyForNow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Isn't there another horn, one that will bring down the wall in the books?

Is that even mentioned in th show?
TheVarian
AG
M.C. Swag said:

your, nor anyone's, opinions on the show will ever get my 'panties in a wad.' But i like where your confidence is!

3rdGen2015
AG
OnlyForNow said:

I don't know about in the books, but it's pretty much a foregone conclusion for me that Bran being on the south side of the wall with the mark from the Night's King will allow the WW's to either bring down the wall or get past it in the show.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I like Sam but have no use for Gilly and her ******ed kid.
Btron
AG
redline248 said:

Btron said:

TX_AG_10 said:

This was a good episode overall, but to me it just felt different. I can't really put a finger on it but it didn't seem like your usual episodes from the past. Is Season 7 the first time they are veering from the books, or was that last season? I think one of the strangest things to me was the poop cut scene. I can't recall having a light hearted/humorous scene like that in the past seasons. (I also don't have the best memory)

But maybe that's what they were aiming for.. Tone down the serious business that's been occurring for the past episodes and lighten it up a bit.

Looking forward to following this thread again this season..
I agree totally. It felt like to me they were playing to the audience, the pop culture front runner, and the twitter, internet, meme culture too. It seemed too campy, wink wink at the camera like you know the audience is watching and will pick up on this. It mostly happened with Tormund caught Brienne's eye. For a badass like him to turn to puppy dog love mush just doesn't fit.

Tormund has always been like that. Completely carefree and playful when not in battle mode. Think back to when Jon first was with the wildling crew to climb the wall.

I guess it's more about the writers seemed to be trying too hard to speak to the audience. In a darker show but similar to Hurley in LOST.
I bet if Gendry returns someone will make a joke about his boat rowing for four seasons etc.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
OnlyForNow said:

In the books, yes there is a horn that is supposed to take down the wall. I don't think that's mentioned in the show, but I don't remember
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Squirrel Master said:

I'll throw out some thoughts:

1) No one is curing greyscale in this show. Sam curing it would be absolutely ridiculous. He may provide useful info about where to find Dragonglass to Jon, and learn some other things. To be honest, I was surprised how big a role he played in Ep1. I figure the Jorah appearance was just a token crossing of paths to show Jorah made it there is getting treatment, as he was commanded to do.

2) Gendry never appears in the show again. At this point, I can't tell if predictions about him appearing are serious or jokes. Some are presented as serious, but surely not.

3) Jamie is really wasted in KL. He's completely emasculated at this point around Queen Cersei. Hopefully Bronn starts hanging around the castle, or he heads out on another roadtrip ASAP. His character can be so interesting, but other than being Mayweather to Euron's McGregor in that one scene, I feel he'll be wasted in KL unless he's willing to actually really step up to Cersei.

4) I wonder if Jamie will ever cross paths with Brienne ever again.

5) No idea what Euron's gift could be. Book people referring to something that could control dragons. Seems like a big stretch without some significant more development on what that is/where it comes from/how he got it. Promising Tyrion makes no sense without having some known access to him, so surely that's not it either.

6) I won't pretend to be able to guess what Littlefinger's play will be from here.

7) Arya heading north will be nice. And I assume someone at the Wall will communicate that Bran is there. Seems like we're very close to full-on Stark reunion at Winterfell, after all the close calls in the past. Maybe something derails, but seems like it should happen.

1) Finding a way to cure greyscale would provide Jorah a way back to Dragonscale, and possibly take Sam with him. Jon will probably make his way to her at some point to make her a pitch about the white walkers. One of her right hand men being cured by one of Jons friends would be a good way to bridge the gap and give her a reason to trust Jon. There's all kinds of info in that library. If we learned anything from that arch maester, it's that if a problem isn't staring them in the face, threatening their life they are content to leave it be. Who knows what kind of long lost info could be tucked away in some of those books. Wouldn't be that ridiculous.
2) Gendry coming back wouldn't be that outlandish. He is a notable smith, at a time when the realm is going to need skilled smiths. Assuming Sam finds out a way to forge dragonglass or valyrian weapons, he could be a semi-cruical character given a purpose moving forward. Stranger characters have made their way back.
3)I disagree that Jaime is wasted in KL. I find it fascinating how he's starting to realize how bat **** Cersei is, and struggling with how he's going to have to move forward. Sure, he hasn't had much to do/say but he just got back to KL to find it in pieces and Cersei going mad.
4) 50/50
5) Agree here, the dragon horn would need some back story and how Euron knew where to find it. I doubt it's Tyrion either. If you watched after the thrones they talked about this, and said he's already been a gift once, so that probably won't be the case again.
6) wildcard, but we can bet he's going to do his best to pit Sansa and Jon against each other. Other than that, who knows what he's planning.
7) As of the last episode (assuming she was telling the truth) Arya is heading south, not North.
TyHolden
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

OnlyForNow said:

In the books, yes there is a horn that is supposed to take down the wall. I don't think that's mentioned in the show, but I don't remember
every sight says bran just screwed westoros
PatAg
AG
Surprisingly enough, I think Tyrion will be the key to Jon and Dany deciding to band forces. Jon and he respect each other, only hold up would be the northerners hatred of Lannisters. But I would imagine Tyrion (and Melisandre if she goes to Dany like we all assume) would speak in favor of uniting with Jon. If his parentage happens to come to light as well, that would make it even easier.
CapCityAg89
AG
These threads were better when we had source material to reference. This reads like the show only thread now - a bunch of wild ass guesses and contrived conspiracies.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
PatAg said:

Surprisingly enough, I think Tyrion will be the key to Jon and Dany deciding to band forces. Jon and he respect each other, only hold up would be the northerners hatred of Lannisters. But I would imagine Tyrion (and Melisandre if she goes to Dany like we all assume) would speak in favor of uniting with Jon. If his parentage happens to come to light as well, that would make it even easier.

I don't think the northerners will hate him all that much. He killed Tywin, and he's assumed to have killed Joffrey. Sansa also has defended him in the past when he's mentioned.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Book readers - can you give me some of the good podcasts you follow?
Ranger222
AG
Not a book reader, but the Game of Thrones podcast from Bald Move is good, mixes one guy who is just watching the show and another how is an avid book reader. Longer episodes though. And the Ringer's Binge Mode podcast is also good, will be interesting to hear them do a recent show rather than reviewing the previous 60.

Couple of things -- it's clear the show threw out the "Bran is marked and will take down the wall" pretty easily and early. Never liked that theory.
However, the idea that the WW can go to the eastern most part of the wall and walk around it because the ice is frozen also seems very anticlimactic. Like no human thought that "gee, water freezes during the winter when it's really cold. Hope the army of the undead just don't walk on that!". But it does seem the be setting up a quick battle with the WW.

In terms of Euron's gift -- what if it's an army? Not just any army, but the army of the undead? Seems ridiculous, but Euron + Cerssi are insane and desperate enough to let Euron take his fleet to Hardhomme and give them to the Night King. Now Cerssi has her army to conquer all. She's already comfortable with one undead person -- the mountain. Euron may have some "magic" he has learned about in his "journies" to control the Night King for at least a bit, until the Night King turns on him once he crosses the wall.
Capitol Ag
AG
Does anyone know the website to the show recaps done by the brother of a Texags poster? I used to love to read those and can't remember the site. Also, what are the best places to read show recaps?
wangus12
AG
Ozzyman reviews or GTFO
redline248
AG
If Bran going south of the wall was all the walkers needed to void the magic, why would they need to attack any of the manned castles? Why not just go blast a hole in an undefended section? Just to put more undead in the army?

My initial thought about Euron's gift was a dead Daenerys. Although, Euron told the iron born if they built the ships he'd give them the world. He has no intention of being 2nd to Cersei. He wants to be Dany's king.

Sansa needs to get her sh-t together and get 100% in step with Jon. She wants him to be smarter than Ned and Robb, but she needs to be smarter than dumbass Catelyn.

I don't exactly like Sam, but I think he doesn't get enough credit for doing things that probably scare him half to death because he knows it's right or needs to be done. Steps outside the rules when warranted. Plus, "Slayer." First of 3 alive.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Not a podcast, but you can look up alt-shift-x on YouTube. Has amazing stuff
Stive
AG
My favorite line of the night:

The Hound: Its my f****** luck I end up with a bunch of fire worshippers.
double aught
AG
Ranger222 said:

In terms of Euron's gift -- what if it's an army? Not just any army, but the army of the undead? Seems ridiculous, but Euron + Cerssi are insane and desperate enough to let Euron take his fleet to Hardhomme and give them to the Night King. Now Cerssi has her army to conquer all. She's already comfortable with one undead person -- the mountain. Euron may have some "magic" he has learned about in his "journies" to control the Night King for at least a bit, until the Night King turns on him once he crosses the wall.
Come on, man.
SeattleAgJr
oh yeah.. It was SO nice during the opening theme/whatnot to have NO cities in Essos show up on the map.

Hallelujah. That crap is all done.
Urban Ag
AG
S0 I just re-watched and all I can say is this. This is as good as TV gets. Epic. Production, dialogue, cinematography, sets, effects, everything. they have really stepped it up.

Need to eat some crow. I predicted years ago that Arya's arc was a waste of time. I could not be more wrong. What they have done with her is amazing and captivating. Just awesome.

Next, in true fashion to the books, the character development is simply amazing. And it is done in a way that is not cheap nor patronizing. Jamie and Sandor are simply captivating to watch develop.

So I admit we had to many celebratory beers and wine last night so I did not pick up on everything. That being saidL

Euron tells Cercei that "ever since he was a little boy he wanted to marry the most beautiful woman in the world". Cercei takes this as a proposal and turns him down. But...........if you are book reader, this is not what Euron meant. In the books, Euron commands Victarion to bring the Dragon Queen back to him so that he may make her his wife/concubine. Victarion has his own agenda to make Dany his. In the series, they are a combined character. So i am left to believe that in the series, Euron is trying to play Cercei and his actual intent is to bed/wed Dany. should make for quite the chaos.

Urban Ag
AG
nah
JCRiley09
AG
My long shot prediction:

Euron has the book-rumored kraken and will snag a dragon out of the air to bring back dead to cersei. Not sure how she "returns" it though per ep. 3 description.
dave94
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

oh yeah.. It was SO nice during the opening theme/whatnot to have NO cities in Essos show up on the map.

Hallelujah. That crap is all done.

Maybe they'll have Mereen in the credits one week and just have a scene of Daario sitting around totally bored.
bangobango
AG
JCRiley09 said:

My long shot prediction:

Euron has the book-rumored kraken and will snag a dragon out of the air to bring back dead to cersei. Not sure how she "returns" it though per ep. 3 description.

Beheads it.
lne2011
AG
Capitol Ag said:

Does anyone know the website to the show recaps done by the brother of a Texags poster? I used to love to read those and can't remember the site. Also, what are the best places to read show recaps?
Game of Thrones Scorecards
G Martin 87
AG
redline248 said:

If Bran going south of the wall was all the walkers needed to void the magic, why would they need to attack any of the manned castles? Why not just go blast a hole in an undefended section? Just to put more undead in the army?
It's bad military strategy to leave enemy occupied strongholds in your undefended rear. And yes, it's also an opportunity to make more minions.

Quote:

Sansa needs to get her sh-t together and get 100% in step with Jon. She wants him to be smarter than Ned and Robb, but she needs to be smarter than dumbass Catelyn.
Yes! I see Sansa making the same kind of mistakes that Catelyn did.

Quote:

I don't exactly like Sam, but I think he doesn't get enough credit for doing things that probably scare him half to death because he knows it's right or needs to be done. Steps outside the rules when warranted. Plus, "Slayer." First of 3 alive.
I wonder if the Oldtown book plot involving Jaqen has been transferred to Sam. Jaqen was clearly looking for something important.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
G Martin 87 said:

I wonder if the Oldtown book plot involving Jaqen has been transferred to Sam. Jaqen was clearly looking for something important.
Do we know it's Jaqen? I think its just a faceless man
BowSowy
AG
dc509 said:

OnlyForNow said:

open bracet [, the letter "s", the letter "p", close brackets ] type your message here then [/sp]

Also, quote my text and steal this...

here you go

Gracias.

Ok, the reason I think Dragon Binder is the gift is because without it Daenery's army is practically unstoppable. It could be a different object, but the point is the same. The horn just happens to be in the source material. Cersei needs an ally, and he's promised her something amazing. Bring her Tyrion or the Sand Snakes, and they still burn up in dragon fire. Which they probably end up doing anyway, but this gives them a chance. I also really dislike pointless plots, and if he brings something short of a weapon to fight dragons he is useless. I fully admit my distaste for that is driving my theory. In the book he finds the horn in Valeryia, and so conceivably that's where he's headed. Could also be useful against the Night King.

Remembering that this is a show, and Euron is a relatively minor character, I would not be surprised if his plot is useless in the grand scheme. I think there is some merit to him bringing in the Sand Snakes to tie up their story thread as well as his. There are going to be quite a few of these side stories that get wrapped up quickly and in an unsatisfying way because there just isn't time left.
BowSowy
AG
Btron said:

redline248 said:

Btron said:

TX_AG_10 said:

This was a good episode overall, but to me it just felt different. I can't really put a finger on it but it didn't seem like your usual episodes from the past. Is Season 7 the first time they are veering from the books, or was that last season? I think one of the strangest things to me was the poop cut scene. I can't recall having a light hearted/humorous scene like that in the past seasons. (I also don't have the best memory)

But maybe that's what they were aiming for.. Tone down the serious business that's been occurring for the past episodes and lighten it up a bit.

Looking forward to following this thread again this season..
I agree totally. It felt like to me they were playing to the audience, the pop culture front runner, and the twitter, internet, meme culture too. It seemed too campy, wink wink at the camera like you know the audience is watching and will pick up on this. It mostly happened with Tormund caught Brienne's eye. For a badass like him to turn to puppy dog love mush just doesn't fit.

Tormund has always been like that. Completely carefree and playful when not in battle mode. Think back to when Jon first was with the wildling crew to climb the wall.

I guess it's more about the writers seemed to be trying too hard to speak to the audience. In a darker show but similar to Hurley in LOST.
I bet if Gendry returns someone will make a joke about his boat rowing for four seasons etc.
I guess I don't see anything wrong with an occasional wink and nod to the devoted fans of the series. We're talking about very, very minor things that serve to provide levity in what is otherwise a pretty heavy show.
BowSowy
AG
redline248 said:

My initial thought about Euron's gift was a dead Daenerys. Although, Euron told the iron born if they built the ships he'd give them the world. He has no intention of being 2nd to Cersei. He wants to be Dany's king.
Ha, if ****in Euron Greyjoy takes out Daenarys, I think there will be riots. That would be maybe the biggest letdown I've ever seen in TV.
OnlyForNow
AG
The kraken might be the thing. Don't know about it killing a dragon, but he brings it to cersi somehow, and then she "returns" it by sending it to destroy dany's fleet
plowboy1065
S
BowSowy said:

redline248 said:

Ha, if ****in Euron Greyjoy takes out Daenarys, I think there will be riots. That would be maybe the biggest letdown I've ever seen in TV.

Did you not watch the last episode of The Sopranos?
cr0wbar
AG
Euron's gift to Cerssi is something nice from Kay's, because every kiss begins with it.
Sapper Redux
We know from the trailers that there is a major battle at sea between Yara and Euron and that fire is a big part of the battle. We also see Yara and Theon looking up in dread at one point. Maybe that points to Dragonbinder and Euron controlling one of the dragons?
First Page Last Page
Page 40 of 206

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.