Game of Thrones - Season 7

1,146,903 Views | 7206 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
Mort Rainey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Carl Underguard said:

I was thinking the same thing. Cersei would absolutely use this as leverage. I wonder if she's going to call him out over it next episode and force Jon to make the reveal in front of everyone.
This would mean though that the writers knew what they were doing. Which they clearly don't
bobinator
AG
It is something that Jason Concepcion has pointed out that would absolutely demand an explanation and Jon has yet to have to give one. After all, literally one of the very first things we see in this show is Ned beheading a deserter of the Night's Watch.

Jon, for all that anyone but a few of the characters know, did exactly that, and yet nobody is talking about it. And it's not like he was a secret member of the Night's Watch for a few days, he was the Lord Commander.

It is a legitimate complaint with the writing that nobody seems to have brought it up.
MaroonStain
AG
He was a Lord Commander that was assassinated. I believe assassination overrules desertion.
wangus12
AG
Maybe it comes back to the Northern Lords, who were pledged to Robb Stark at one time, recognizing Robb's will which names Jon has his heir. Another reason they might see him as KITN. He knocked off the Boltons and reunited the North. At this point, they don't care anymore that he was a member of the NW.
Urban Ag
AG
How about this. The most likely answer as to why no one is talking about Jon leaving the Nights Watch is because nobody freakin cares.

Ned lopped the deserters head off at a time when law and order ruled the Seven Kingdoms, Robert was the unquestioned King of Westeros, and Ned the Warden of the North was enforcing their law and customs.

Hate to break to everyone but a lot of sh** has changed since then. This is like arguing if Sansa is still married. That's the King in the Norf's call now. Or arguing who has the true legitimate right to sit the Iron Throne. Dany's 70k Dothraki and two dragons says she does, anymore questions? And no Cercei doesn't get to declare Jon a traitor and a deserter and order the Mountain to execute him because no one outside of King's Landing recognizes her authority. Harming Jon would be the equivalent of North Korea launching a nuke at Japan.

The North is satisfied with Jon's story and the rest of the realm really couldn't give a crap, because, you know, dragons, Dothraki, Army of the Dead, winter is here, etc.
Carl Underguard
AG
Anybody else worried you won't be able to watch the finale? I switched to Direct Tv from Comcast earlier this year and this maybe the weekend where satellite finally bites me in the ass. We could lose power, too, which would suck. I'm going to have my tablet fully charged in case I need to try to stream it.
Carl Underguard
AG
He's a ******* who literally can't hold titles and they elected him king in the North over the rightful heir who won the battle. If they really don't care, someone should acknowledge it. They could have thrown that into Lady Mormont's speech pretty easily. Does this mean they wouldn't care if they found out he was a Targaryen, too? Clearly they do care about customs and "remember" things, otherwise why even bother declaring him king at all? If all you care about is the Army of the Dead, why simultaneously start another rebellion? Why did Jon refuse to bend the knee at first?
redline248
AG
I'm not worried, bc I will just cast it to the tv if I need to. I've already had to watch about half this season that way. Also, I really don't expect too much bad weather north of Austin.
TheVarian
AG
I'm thinking anyone in Houston and surrounding areas might be without television Sunday night
redline248
AG
Without John rallying most of the north, there would have never been a battle of the b-stards. There would have never been a wildling army to help battle the Boltons. Sansa damn sure wasn't inspiring any of that to happen. Also, the north knows Cersei isn't sending any army north to help against the undead, so why should they not choose to govern themselves?
bobinator
AG
I think the point that Jason, and I with some of my complaints, are trying to make isn't that there's no narrative way around it, it's that they haven't given us one. Jon being a Night's Watch deserter would be a big deal to people in the north, especially now that the army of the dead is marching. But basically nobody has even brought it up, and again, killing a deserter is the first thing we saw Ned do, so there's no way Ned's son (for all anyone knows) would desert the Night's Watch. Somebody would bring it up, and nobody has.

If nobody cares, what's to stop everyone else in the Night's Watch from abandoning the wall to return to their families/do whatever they want. It would be a big deal.

Now, there are all kinds of narrative ways around it they could have come up with, but they chose "just ignore it and hope nobody notices." Again, the small things helped make this show, and this would be more than a small thing.

It's the same thing with the ridiculous Arya/Sansa thing with the letter.
redline248
AG
Also, lady Mormont said it clearly. I don't care if he's a b-stard, he's a stark and he's my king. Pretty safe to say traditional laws are out the window.
Urban Ag
AG
In case you haven't noticed, the lords of the North only seem to really care and "remember" when it is convenient to do so, with maybe exception to Little Lady Mormont. They turned all against each other during the War of the Five Kings. The Bolton's completely turned on the Starks up to and including collusion in murdering Robb and Cat. Most of the North told Jon to piss off when he tried to raise an army against the Boltons and several houses were willing to fight and die for Ramsay. But now that skin peeling psycho is gone, Jon does appear to be a badass, oh and all the freefolk, and the Knights of the Vale have his back let's start chanting "King in the Norf" again.

So no, I really don't think the world is going to come unglued over the circumstances for Jon leaving the Watch, or if it's revealed he a Targ, or that it really even matters to anyone considering the whole country is in chaos, dragons, and impending zombie apocalypse.
redline248
AG
On another topic, show-wise, the future of house Stark is pretty f-cked. Jon is a Targ, Bran is an uncaring mystic who probably can't have kids even if he wanted to, and Rickon is dead. I guess Sansa could force a situation similar to the Mormonts until she has a son. But who knows how that will go.
bobinator
AG
I've sort of been assuming all the old houses of power will all be dead when all of this is over, at least the ones that are on the logo of the show.

The Lannisters, Baratheons, Starks and Targaryens... pretty good chance none of those family names make it out of this generation.
redline248
AG
You know, one interesting development would be if all the Starks are killed except Arya and she's forced to do the lady thing to keep the house alive.
Carl Underguard
AG
I try not to buy into storm hype, but it's already raining hard here in the H-Town suburbs. I just hope we don't lose power, or I'll be in the weird position of being behind everyone else.
wangus12
AG
You guys stay safe more than anything.
redline248
AG
HBO go on your phone. Charge it now (or whenever you think power might go), it doesn't use that much data.

And yes, stay safe
Sex Panther
AG
Carl Underguard said:

I try not to buy into storm hype, but it's already raining hard here in the H-Town suburbs. I just hope we don't lose power, or I'll be in the weird position of being behind everyone else.

The Long Night is here
bearamedic99
AG
bobinator said:

All of the Stark kids have had some magic at some point, it seems like Sansa is probably overdue.

the magic of not getting pregnant
bearamedic99
AG
i started this season and this thread a few weeks late. That was a lot of discussion about who is a targ, where's the gold, military strategy, who is pregnant, and more.

I'm worried about the stupidity of the gang entering KL and setting up a red wedding type massacre. Also, I'm in the camp that there will be no Azor.

one item i did not see discussed was the absence of the new gods. we've seen results from the Lord of Light, the many-faced god, the old gods, and possibly the drowned god but nothing from the Seven. any thoughts?
Urban Ag
AG
Previews show the Dothraki and the Unsullied formed up right outside KL. Red Wedding would be mistake.
Joseph Parrish
AG
Urban Ag said:

Previews show the Dothraki and the Unsullied formed up right outside KL. Red Wedding would be mistake.
Yeah, I think the message is pretty clear that there will be all out war immediately if **** goes down.
Urban Ag
AG
Well the writers got one thing right for certain. It took the Unsullied four episodes to walk from Casterly Rock to KL. I bet they're pissed.

This one's feet are sore. This one obeys Mother of Dragons but sure wishes we could magically teleport too. Unsullied always get sh** detail.

/Grey Worm

Joseph Parrish
AG
Urban Ag said:

Well the writers got one thing right for certain. It took the Unsullied four episodes to walk from Casterly Rock to KL. I bet they're pissed.

This one's feet are sore. This one obeys Mother of Dragons but sure wishes we could magically teleport too. Unsullied always get sh** detail.

/Grey Worm

The show writers seem to like magic ravens. I'll bet they send one 5 minutes before they need them in KL.

...God I hope not.
Urban Ag
AG
Yeah if Grey Worm is chillin at the Rock with his boys and a raven shows up with a message to beat feet for KL, I'm going to drink a lot of wine.

Oh who am I kidding, I'm going to do that anyway but still..............
dcAg
I agree with UrbanAg. Things changed. Did he do anything that made him a deserter? No. He died and came back after the treason. After everyone "voted" him King of the North they understood his need to go south. Did he desert his people? NO!

He explained to them that as their leader he would try to convince everyone to believe him that the Army of the Dead was coming and that he might die. They were all in on that. I think he as more respect than at any other time and Sansa is trying to eff it up.
JABQ04
AG
I thought Jon Snow dying freed him of his vows since they were for life. Him being rough back to life gave him a new life.

Sorry if this was posted earlier
redline248
AG
JABQ04 said:

I thought Jon Snow dying freed him of his vows since they were for life. Him being rough back to life gave him a new life.

Sorry if this was posted earlier

This is the accepted understanding. The overall point of many posters is that he hasn't told everyone about that, so they should view him as a deserter.
Twice an Aggie
AG
Sansa and Brienne know so it can be assumed that the North knows. Word just hasn't leaked to other areas.
Southlake
Do you think a resurrected Viserion could burn a hole in the wall?? Hmm....
Bazooka Joe
AG
Southlake said:

Do you think a resurrected Viserion could burn a hole in the wall?? Hmm....

Will Viserion breath fire?
Thunder18
AG
I think he might shoot ice...if he shoots fire like the other two dragons he will end up scorching to ashes a huge number of enemies that could otherwise be turned into wights. Will be interesting to find out!
redbaron788
AG
Whatever he breathes, fire likely won't be able to kill him. He'll have to brought down draco a draco
First Page Last Page
Page 186 of 206

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.