Game of Thrones - Season 7

1,138,886 Views | 7206 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
Ogre09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AtlAg05 said:

EagleFordEarl said:

So, does Sam stop at home on his way back to meet up with Jon? and what state of affairs are things in when he does?

Since Sam doesn't know about the deaths and I assume he at least knows they are fighting in the war, I don't see him going home. But if he's going by cart he'll find out soon enough. But it's not like he can do anything, he's still in the Nightswatch so no ruling for him even if he wanted to.

He also wasn't supposed to take a wife, but he did that. I imagine if Jon has a say in it, Sam will be lord of his region.
RDV-1992
TurkeyBaconLeg said:

Question:

How did Tyrion know that Jaime and Bronn survived the battle? Supposedly, the last he saw of them was Bronn tackling Jaime out of harms way from the dragon fire and into the water.

But---when the post-battle debate back at Dragonstone was being discussed on how to convince Cersi that white walkers were real--Tyrion didn't hesitate to say he could talk to Jaime to convince Cersi to meet. How did he know Jaime was alive?
Good question. I was wondering how he got the message to Bronn. Maybe Vary's spies knew?
gougler08
AG
Ogre09 said:

AtlAg05 said:

EagleFordEarl said:

So, does Sam stop at home on his way back to meet up with Jon? and what state of affairs are things in when he does?

Since Sam doesn't know about the deaths and I assume he at least knows they are fighting in the war, I don't see him going home. But if he's going by cart he'll find out soon enough. But it's not like he can do anything, he's still in the Nightswatch so no ruling for him even if he wanted to.

He also wasn't supposed to take a wife, but he did that. I imagine if Jon has a say in it, Sam will be lord of his region.
nm...I can't read
SeattleAgJr
JJxvi said:

CoolaidWade said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Jaime might be a Targ too.
Explain?
He was being sarcastic since dragons heads were in scenes with him too.
I thought it was because he ****s his sister, like Targs do....
Thunder18
AG
Also, back before all these wars- lords across the continent used to host big tournaments with jousts and melees that drew knights from across the land. Thoros and Jorah used to participate in these tournaments and may have known eachother ftom that
RDV-1992
Ogre09 said:

AtlAg05 said:

EagleFordEarl said:

If they kill the white walkers, and the wildlings are at peace with the realm, then the nights watch can be disbanded. Maybe that's what happens and how Sam gets released, gets to marry Gilly, and be the lord of his castle.

Doesn't seem like there is much left to be disbanded, though. Nights watch is only a few hundred people now. If that.
frog_killer
AG
I am surprised by the responses of folks not liking this episode, I enjoyed it as much as any episode so far this season.

In the previews for next week and the season trailer, it looks like Jon's group gets surrounded by the army of the dead. How are they going to get out of that situation? And then the shots of someone riding off on a horse slumped over, where did the horse come from? They didn't take one out there with them did they? Does Benjin make one more appearance? Seriously cannot WAIT for next week.
titanmaster_race
Gonna be awesome to see how exactly the white walkers get past the wall. They must have something up their cold, clammy sleeves that will either bring the entire wall down or disarm the magical wards in it that prevent them from passing.
Teddy Perkins
AG
RDV-1992 said:

Ogre09 said:

AtlAg05 said:

EagleFordEarl said:

If they kill the white walkers, and the wildlings are at peace with the realm, then the nights watch can be disbanded. Maybe that's what happens and how Sam gets released, gets to marry Gilly, and be the lord of his castle write the Game of Thrones history as head of the Citadel.

Doesn't seem like there is much left to be disbanded, though. Nights watch is only a few hundred people now. If that.
FIFY
aggie93
AG
Line Ate Member said:

aggie93 said:

Really good episode.

Something to remember, the books and the show are very different animals at this point. Simply because something happened in the books doesn't mean it has relevance in the show. It may or it may not. Also as the show has gone on they have gotten lazier and lazier in connecting the dots and making things realistic.

The Jaime/Bronn swimming a few miles down the river underwater thing is a perfect example. You could maybe argue that Dany didn't realize it was Jaime and so she just let it go but it was made very clear that Tyrion was watching the entire thing and was just a few hundred yards away. It would make sense that Tyrion wasn't fast enough to save his bro but it makes no sense that he would not find out if Jaime was alive or dead by conducting a search for him. Forget about how Jaime somehow swam underwater for a mile or more in full armor unnoticed even though Tyrion and likely Dany would have been watching for him. It's ok, I just see it as filler the show writers have to use to clean up some of the mess they have made by protecting favored characters while keeping the drama up and trying to simplify the plot so that the casual watcher can follow the story.

I don't think Randyl gave Dany much choice about being torched. He was defiant and insulted her as she offered him mercy. He did not recognize her to have any authority. She had to kill him. She also had gotten herself in trouble by trying to be too soft in how she was approaching taking over Westeros. Aegon came with fire and blood and if you didn't kneel you were toast. If you knelt you were rewareded. That's the model she is following.

Why Jon didn't send a raven to Winterfell nor Bran is telling anyone where Jon is going seems just odd. It also is stupid of Jon to go on that mission when he would be far more effective back at Winterfell meeting up with his brother and sisters and keeping the North on board with the plan. It's brave to go past the Wall but it's also stupid, in the end he is still just one man.

BTW, one thing that is starting to puzzle me is how they haven't figured out that all they really need is Dany to take her 3 Dragons North of the Wall with a team of archers with Dragonglass arrows and the Night King is finished. They have no defense against the dragons (they don't even have scorpions) and they could easily torch all of the wights in short order while raining down arrows on the WW (which it still appears there are only a handful). Game over. When the Long Night came before my understanding is that men won without dragons, it would seem to be a piece of cake now.

It would seem that is the case. However, all of what the night king can do has been revealed. The dragon glass arrow heads will destroy most of the horde, but what else can he do?
Dragonglass and Valyrian Steel kills WW but not wights. Of course wights were only supposed to be killed by fire until Heardhome showed them being killed conventionally and they also became "super zombies" instead of the more traditional variety. Regardless, 3 dragons should be able to take out all the wights in short order because they are just bodies that charge, they have no strategy or skill. There still appears only to be a handful of actual WW and they are toast if you start shooting dragonglass at them and have a few buys with dragonglass swords and VS. It would just seem that Jon could send a raven to Winterfell to have his army meet him at Eastwatch and have Dany fly up for the weekend with her 3 dragons and the Army of the Dead would be toast, literally.

I was disappointed that neither of the other 2 dragons came down and made friends with Jon, seemed logical he would become a rider right there.
bangobango
AG
frog_killer said:

I am surprised by the responses of folks not liking this episode, I enjoyed it as much as any episode so far this season.

In the previews for next week and the season trailer, it looks like Jon's group gets surrounded by the army of the dead. How are they going to get out of that situation? And then the shots of someone riding off on a horse slumped over, where did the horse come from? They didn't take one out there with them did they? Does Benjin make one more appearance? Seriously cannot WAIT for next week.
Dany is going to swoop in with her dragon and carry them away - because Jon Snow always has to get bailed out on this show, usually by a woman.

Or Jon is going to go Azor on them and the white walkers flee and regroup.
bangobango
AG
aggie93 said:

Line Ate Member said:

aggie93 said:

Really good episode.

Something to remember, the books and the show are very different animals at this point. Simply because something happened in the books doesn't mean it has relevance in the show. It may or it may not. Also as the show has gone on they have gotten lazier and lazier in connecting the dots and making things realistic.

The Jaime/Bronn swimming a few miles down the river underwater thing is a perfect example. You could maybe argue that Dany didn't realize it was Jaime and so she just let it go but it was made very clear that Tyrion was watching the entire thing and was just a few hundred yards away. It would make sense that Tyrion wasn't fast enough to save his bro but it makes no sense that he would not find out if Jaime was alive or dead by conducting a search for him. Forget about how Jaime somehow swam underwater for a mile or more in full armor unnoticed even though Tyrion and likely Dany would have been watching for him. It's ok, I just see it as filler the show writers have to use to clean up some of the mess they have made by protecting favored characters while keeping the drama up and trying to simplify the plot so that the casual watcher can follow the story.

I don't think Randyl gave Dany much choice about being torched. He was defiant and insulted her as she offered him mercy. He did not recognize her to have any authority. She had to kill him. She also had gotten herself in trouble by trying to be too soft in how she was approaching taking over Westeros. Aegon came with fire and blood and if you didn't kneel you were toast. If you knelt you were rewareded. That's the model she is following.

Why Jon didn't send a raven to Winterfell nor Bran is telling anyone where Jon is going seems just odd. It also is stupid of Jon to go on that mission when he would be far more effective back at Winterfell meeting up with his brother and sisters and keeping the North on board with the plan. It's brave to go past the Wall but it's also stupid, in the end he is still just one man.

BTW, one thing that is starting to puzzle me is how they haven't figured out that all they really need is Dany to take her 3 Dragons North of the Wall with a team of archers with Dragonglass arrows and the Night King is finished. They have no defense against the dragons (they don't even have scorpions) and they could easily torch all of the wights in short order while raining down arrows on the WW (which it still appears there are only a handful). Game over. When the Long Night came before my understanding is that men won without dragons, it would seem to be a piece of cake now.

It would seem that is the case. However, all of what the night king can do has been revealed. The dragon glass arrow heads will destroy most of the horde, but what else can he do?
Dragonglass and Valyrian Steel kills WW but not wights. Of course wights were only supposed to be killed by fire until Heardhome showed them being killed conventionally and they also became "super zombies" instead of the more traditional variety. Regardless, 3 dragons should be able to take out all the wights in short order because they are just bodies that charge, they have no strategy or skill. There still appears only to be a handful of actual WW and they are toast if you start shooting dragonglass at them and have a few buys with dragonglass swords and VS. It would just seem that Jon could send a raven to Winterfell to have his army meet him at Eastwatch and have Dany fly up for the weekend with her 3 dragons and the Army of the Dead would be toast, literally.

I was disappointed that neither of the other 2 dragons came down and made friends with Jon, seemed logical he would become a rider right there.
If Jon is going to ride a dragon, I think it will be out of necessity and not something negotiated. Like Dany will be killed or taken captive and somebody has to try to ride the dragons to stop the WW or something like that.

Also, after seeing the Night King dismiss the ravens and the three eyed crow, I am guessing that he has some kind of magic he can use to defend against the dragons. Plus, can dragons even survive in that extreme cold? I do not think we have seen them in that type of weather.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
I guess the picture feature is broken?

https://imgur.com/LJ3LdWB
Btron
AG
Javelina said:

Streetfighter 02 said:

Joseph Parrish said:

dromo07 said:

The prophecy says how many kids she will have that's why I think she isn't pregnant

"The king will have 20 children and you will have three. Gold will be their crowns . . . gold their shrouds."
If she dies before the baby is born...then the numbers still work out.

Death by childbirth.
I hope not, a character as horrible as her should go out much more dramatically.
She got all of her kids killed why wouldn't there be justice in her dying from her kid. Or the theme of lost children continues for her and Jamie and the kid dies at birth from complications or miscarry.
bangobango
AG
Btron said:

Javelina said:

Streetfighter 02 said:

Joseph Parrish said:

dromo07 said:

The prophecy says how many kids she will have that's why I think she isn't pregnant

"The king will have 20 children and you will have three. Gold will be their crowns . . . gold their shrouds."

Death by childbirth.
I hope not, a character as horrible as her should go out much more dramatically.
She got all of her kids killed why wouldn't there be justice in her dying from her kid. Or the theme of lost children continues for her and Jamie and the kid dies at birth from complications or miscarry.
I think those that several years ago predicted Jaime would kill her to prevent her from doing something crazy and killing a bunch of innocent people will end up being correct. I think Cersi has some plan like what she did at the Septon cooked up with Qyborn and Jaime will stop it from happening for whatever reason. Maybe Cersi's plan is going to result in the death of hundreds of innocent lives, or maybe she would rather destroy herself and everyone else than bend the knee. Whatever it is, I think (hope) Jaime sees that it is crazy and evil and stops it.

I am kind of over Jaime at this point anyways. He's gone back to that woman one too many times. I was kind of hoping the dragon would take him out the previous episode.
bangobango
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

won't work on https for some reason. Works fine for http addresses.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
frog_killer said:

Def Benjen
aggie93
AG
Btron said:

Javelina said:

Streetfighter 02 said:

Joseph Parrish said:

dromo07 said:

Death by childbirth.
Can't imagine she actually has a baby. It would conflict with one of the few prophecies they have emphasized in the show and it really doesn't make sense to start over with babies. Pretty clear it is a ploy to keep Jaime manipulated and if she is somehow pregnant she will never make it to term. Of course they have cut more and more corners as the show has gone on so anything is possible.
Bregxit
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

benchmark
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

benchmark said:

Trident 88 said:

Agreed. She's not horrible. She's smart.

It's friggin war, and there's no such thing as the Geneva Convention. She had two guys in leadership roles killed because they wouldn't bend the knee. It's a far cry from Cersei blowing up the sept or what Bolton did to his prisoners.
Yes, though it seems extreme, making an example of two leaders actually saved lives. Those standing immediately dropped to their knees.
you are missing the point.

she is willfully attempting to conquer Westeros, a continent that is not calling for her to do so. and doing do a dragon-point and with an army of 100,000.

You are saying everyone should just lay down and capitulate to a foreign invader...

I was not trying to legitimize her campaign. I was merely addressing her seeming cruelty at the weenie roast.
RDV-1992
bangobango said:

aggie93 said:

Line Ate Member said:

aggie93 said:

Really good episode.

If Jon is going to ride a dragon, I think it will be out of necessity and not something negotiated. Like Dany will be killed or taken captive and somebody has to try to ride the dragons to stop the WW or something like that.

Also, after seeing the Night King dismiss the ravens and the three eyed crow, I am guessing that he has some kind of magic he can use to defend against the dragons. Plus, can dragons even survive in that extreme cold? I do not think we have seen them in that type of weather.
So, this is from the books (and my memory is a little fuzzy on this, so please bear with me if I get something wrong), but one of the early Targaryen queens (or maybe she was a princess) went to the wall on her dragon. This would have been at least 200 years prior to the stuff happening in the show. And she was so impressed with the Wall and the Watch that she gave the Watch some additional land on the south side of the wall. Became part of "the Gift".

Can't remember if this occurred in the summer or winter, but I would assume summer.

So per "book lore" Dragons can go that far north, and can deal with at least some cold, because its always cold at the wall. But maybe they will have trouble in the deep cold of winter, and/or the deep cold that surrounds the White Walkers.

And who knows if the dragons could fly in a blizzard like the one the ranging party was walking out into at the end of last night's episode. I would think not, or that they would have trouble. They could still function like tanks, but would be vulnerable on the ground.

OK. Going to leave this rabbit hole before I get too deep & go back to work.
M.C. Swag
AG
Another amazing episode down, only...2 more?! :'( WHY?!?! It's all going by too fast!!!

I'll just jump right into the good stuff.

Everything JON
This episode had my pulse pounding for a variety of reasons but none moreso than the must understated revelation in the show's history. Gilly casually reading about 'Ragger' getting an annulment to marry..!!!!! I mean, are you serious?! That's all we get?! lol

Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed. Not disappointed in the delivery, but it's occurrence in general. We all have heard the theories about Rhaegar's 'secret' marriage but I never thought it would actually happen. I'm disappointed because GRRM, a man who has authored a fantasy series that routinely bucks the common tropes of fantasy, has just derived the most common fantasy cliche in literature history...'the low born orphan/bastrd whose long lost parents were actually royalty, thus making him/her heir to the throne.' I mean, that plot device is so overused that even Wreck-It-Ralp had it (Apologies for the wreck it ralph spoiler).

That was my main point of contention during debates I've had with the 'secret marriage' proponents. I didn't think it fit with GRRM's style. He doesn't need to check some 'hero box' checklist for Jon Snow to be of true blood. He's a hero for simply conducting acts of heroism. Why can't it be just that? *sigh*

Beyond that, and my second point of contention, it felt SOOOO contrived. A secret marriage? An annulment to invalidate his previous marriage? Seriously? That seems like such a worm-weasel way to make it happen. Original, sure, but also extremely....gimmicky? Idk, I'm struggling for the right word. I'm not disappointed because I was just proven wrong. I'm disappointed because it simply just didn't feel right. Way too modern. Too....common to happen in a complex and fantastical world such as Westeros.

At this point I can't help but concede the notion that Tyrion may actually be a Targaryen. The same reasons I argued against Jon being a true born son are largely the same as to why Tyrion shouldn't also be a Dragon. It would be too convenient. Too narrow focused for such a broad tale. It would taint the journeys of these 2 fascinating characters. A Bastrd and a Dwarf rising above their stations, not based on blood rights, but merit. All that would be gone. Instead we'd get a tale about the Westerosi equivalent of the Skywalkers. Characters inherently awesome due to the nature of their parentage. Just seems cheap.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still hyped for the show and Jon's journey, I'm just trying to explain my feelings.

Moving on to the the 2nd coolest scene...Jon pets Drogon!!! I was laughing to myself after that scene because it reminded me of a real world scenario I'm sure a lot of you have had. I felt like Dany was like that girl with the really annoying dog and she brings a guy over but warns him that her dog just doesn't like boys. And then when the boy meets the dog, it doesn't bark at all and the girl is just like so shocked, "OMG, I can't believe she likes you!! She doesn't like ANYONE." haha That's kinda how I saw that scene playing out.

Anyways, I'm still not sure if HBO wants to have Aunt on Nephew relations.but I'm pretty certain that Dany does.

Winterfell
Littlefinger doing littlefinger things. I hope Arya is smart enough to see through this non sense. Based on the season preview with Sansa quoting 'wolves and the pack surviving' I still believe Arya and Sansa will remain firm in their allegiance, but it is certainly intriguing now that some drama has been injected into the politics of Winterfell.

Other points of intrigue:
  • Gendry is back and he looks completely badass!
  • I love the conflicting desires the show portrays between its characters and its audience. For instance on one hand, the show is portraying the beginnings of a Dany and Jon romance, 2 noble characters who obviously find the other attractive, but the audience knows they are relatives and conflicts us as viewers in cheering for that proposition. On the other hand, Jon and Gendry bro out over their father's friendship, while we all know that Gendry's father actually killed Jon's father.
  • Davos flexing his smuggling muscles was awesome. We got to see firsthand that his prowess resides in his rhetoric and ability to relate.
  • Peter Dinklage remains the most talented actor on this show. The emotions he portrayed when speaking with Jamie about his relationship to Tywin was heartwrenching.
  • The Avengers of the North assembling was cool. I feel like Brienne is the only BAMF missing from that crew.
  • Jorah Mormont is back in the fold. I thought it was weird that none of the Dothraki recognized him, but I guess it's unlikely that his face would be known to the entire army.

As far as the 'absurdity' of Jon's quest to 'capture' a Wight. I just wanted to point out that that plan has also played out in the books. Early on in the series, when Tyrion was still Hand in King's Landing, Allister Thorne (the grumpy master at arms of the Nights Watch) was sent to KL by LC Jeor Mormont with the severed hand of the Wight that attacked him. This was in hopes to convince the crown to send reinforcements to the Wall. Unfortunately, Tyrion was kinda a dick and didn't even entertain Thorne's audience until the severed hand had withered and evidence of its unnatural state had worn off. I'm not sure if this expedition will succeed at all, but part of me wonders if it does, that it will likely meet the same results as the books. So yea, I'll agree that it does seem a bit....futile to spend precious episode time on a quest that will most likely prove unsuccessful in its objective, but I'm hoping it will have a bigger payoff than convincing people of the WWs existence (Maybe a certain prophesized sword will make an appearance?)

Overall, the episode wasted no time in moving the plot along. As with almost every scene this season, each second of screen time seemed to serve a distinct purpose. I know a lot of people wanted to criticize the Jamie/Bronn sequence, and I think there's some legit cause for complaint, but if that's the price we have to pay for the previous episode and shot of Jamie charging Drogon, I gladly accept those terms.
Btron
AG
MonkeyKnifeFighter said:

Concerning ~10 pages ago and a suggestion that Gendry was simply writers doing writer things, it actually brings Team Dragon to combine all four houses in the title logo.

Targaryen: Dany
Stark: Jon
Lannister: Tyrion
Baratheon: Gendry

If anyone mentioned this in the many pages since the thread aired, I apologize. I skimmed everything through and didn't catch it.
But Jon is a Targaryen
Post removed:
by user
ramblin_ag02
AG
http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Thoros

Quote:

He fought for King Robert Baratheon in the Greyjoy Rebellion. He was the first man, followed closely by Ser Jorah Mormont, through the breach during the Siege of Pyke, stabbing and terrifying the ironborn with his flaming sword

Of course they knew each other. Jorah's whole backstory stems from him winning a tournament, marrying a high maintenance noblewoman, chasing glory in every tournament, spending way too much money, and selling criminals into slavery. Thoros was King Robert's spiritual advisor. He only ever drank, slept around, and went to tournaments. He won some as well. I think anyone who won a continent wide tournament of arms would be instantly recognizable to the others in the kingdom, and that doesn't even count them fighting side by side in the Greyjoy Rebellion.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JJxvi
AG
I have long believed (even before it was basically confirmed) that due to the contrarian nature of the source material to fantasy tropes, that the audience will eventually know that Jon is the ******* turned heir to the kingdom, but that the characters would likely remain ignorant of it.
benchmark
AG
RDV-1992 said:

TurkeyBaconLeg said:

Question:

How did Tyrion know that Jaime and Bronn survived the battle? Supposedly, the last he saw of them was Bronn tackling Jaime out of harms way from the dragon fire and into the water.

But---when the post-battle debate back at Dragonstone was being discussed on how to convince Cersi that white walkers were real--Tyrion didn't hesitate to say he could talk to Jaime to convince Cersi to meet. How did he know Jaime was alive?
Good question. I was wondering how he got the message to Bronn. Maybe Vary's spies knew?
Tyrion walked the battle field. I imagine he was keeping his eye out for Jaime. Also, with his view of the battle from on high, he could see their possible avoidance move - could he have seen their escape? Just thinking out loud...
bobinator
AG
Didn't the hand thing happen in the show also?

My biggest thing about the capture a wight plan is that they can't capture one beyond the wall and bring it back through the wall right because wights/ww/etc can't cross the wall. The reason one got in Castle Black before is the soldier was living when he came through the wall, died, and then rose back up right?

So someone has to take one for the team here and become one?
M.C. Swag
AG
Yea, I don't think the show or books have thoroughly explained the magic logistics of the wights and the wall, that's for sure.

I don't recall the hand sequence happening in the show. It might have.
BowSowy
AG
JJxvi said:

I have long believed (even before it was basically confirmed) that due to the contrarian nature of the source material to fantasy tropes, that the audience will eventually know that Jon is the ******* turned heir to the kingdom, but that the characters would likely remain ignorant of it.
This is what I think. I highly doubt this whole thing plays out with Jon becoming the trueborn heir and sitting on the Iron Throne. I think Jon's parentage will either play some role in him becoming Azor Ahai or will explain why he's able to do something with the dragons.
benchmark
AG
bangobango said:

aggie93 said:

Line Ate Member said:

aggie93 said:

Really good episode.

I didn't view it as the Night King dismissing the ravens. I thought it was Bran removing himself when the Night King spotted him... but what do I know...
Carl Underguard
AG
Do zombie rules apply here? You get infected, die, and then rise again a wight?
Trident 88
AG
LHIOB
AG
I understood it as everyone who died north of the Wall became a wight and the reason the body turned at Castle Black is because it was so close to the Wall. Someone posted earlier that the NK had to raise the wights but thats not correct. We can raise them but he doesnt have to or the wight at Castle Black never would have happened.
Carl Underguard
AG
God, I hope that's true. Happy endings are boring and the opposite of what you would expect in this universe. I want Cersei to hold on to the throne because everyone is distracted. The final shot of the show can be her on the throne as the army of the dead marches on King's Landing.
First Page Last Page
Page 144 of 206

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.