Sci-fi & fantasy book recs

22,615 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by HometownAg22
aggieforester05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm on book 5 of the J.N. Chaney series "Renegade Star". I have really enjoyed it. Just a lot of fun and a great adventure traveling through space.
DD88
AG
"bookmarking"

Recent decent books that I liked:

"Beneath A Scarlet Sky," Mark Sullivan chronicles the life of Pino Lella, a 17-year-old boy who grew into a man during the last years of World War II.

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August
rednecked
AG
Currently reading Quantum Time. It's the third (really the 4th) in a series by Douglas Phillips. Really good stuff dealing with the absolute weirdness of the quantum universe, multiple dimensions, aliens, etc..
The Dog Lord
AG
Just re-read the Forever War recently and decided to pick up the sequel Forever Free. Different type of story than the original with some random bits at the end that apparently pissed some people off. Still has overall good reviews though.

I also recently read The Library at Mount Char. Not really fantasy or sci-fi, but somewhat related. Some label it as New Weird. Messed up at times, but I still enjoyed it overall.
bearamedic99
AG
bump.

Brian McClellan has a new book coming out soon. He wrote the fantastic Powder Mage series
technoengr
AG
I just finished the Broken Earth series by NK Jemisen on audiobook. Told from an interesting perspective about human-like beings who can control the ground/earth. They are feared and ostrasized by "normal" people but turn out to be the only ones who can save the world from "fifth seasons". Its a trilogy so not too long and fairly fast paced.
bearamedic99
AG
Kind of late in the day but if anyone reads Brian McClellan and his Powder Mage books, today is his birthday and he is giving away a novels from the series.

https://www.brianmcclellan.com/ebook-store/forsworn
Eliminatus
AG
FINALLY.

Churned through the Mistborn trilogy. Not sure why it took me so long to get stuck in. Once I did though, I ended up devouring it. Finished all three in a few days.

I can recommend them.
bearamedic99
AG
Bump.

I recommend a series starting with Cephrael's Hand by Melissa McPhail. Only 5 of 7 books out so far but great series.

What other lesser known authors or series have you ladies and chaps come across?
Joe Boudain
Bump
Absolute
AG
Fan of David Welch. Most of his are availible on Amazon unlimited with Kindle. I buy them now to support. Chaos Quarter series is solid sf. Fireflyish, but not exaxtly. Like most all of his other stuff as well,only one so far that I didn't finish.

Recently took a nostalgic spin back through some of the Pern books. Classic solid stuff.

Raymond Feist has a new series out, 2 books so far. Solid as well.
Ornithopter
AG
Dune by Frank Herbert

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein

Ringworld (But all of Known Space really) by Larry Niven
HometownAg22
AG
Red Rising by Pierce Brown. Absolutely tore through it twice now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.