THE WITCH

37,885 Views | 298 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TCTTS
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not sure where we got the idea that horror movies have to have nonstop "scare" moments.
This movie was deeply disturbing and unsettling, and you don't get too see that too often anymore. Actually showing the witch early on was a stroke of genius.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
quote:
This movie was deeply disturbing and unsettling.

in your opinion.
Aggies76
AG
Of course it's his opinion. Isn't this whole thread about opinion?
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
just clarifying his point, hombre.

i found it neither disturbing nor unsettling.
Sex Panther
AG
I saw The Jungle Book this week and kept thinking how awesome it would be if Black Philip showed up during the scene where all the animals were at the watering hole.
Rented this from Redbox last night. My thoughts:

I generally consider myself a horror movie fan (from Nosferatu to Cabin in the Woods). I like horror movies because I want to see if I can still be scared. I really liked The Witch, and think the OP did a great job of describing the movie, which I also believe will go down as one of "the greats". I felt really uneasy the entire film and like others was shocked at the ending. I loved the authenticity of it and the fact that they didn't dumb anything down for 2016 viewers--for instance, I liked that the accents weren't easy to understand.

As a background, I'm a Christian, was raised in a bible-believing household, and have roots in and have spent lots of time in New England. I'm familiar with the religious and historical aspects of this story, and I wonder if I wasn't religious, if that would have any affect on my view of the film.

TLDR: A+ movie. Will watch again. It'll go down as one of the greats.
PatAg
AG
quote:
just clarifying his point, hombre.

i found it neither disturbing nor unsettling.

Were you"just clarifying my opinion" or were you just being a ***** for no reason. I tend to think the latter.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Finally saw this movie last night and I'm going to have to say, wow, I think the movie accomplished its objective, at least with me, based on the simple fact that almost 24 hours later I'm still contemplating it.

First off - my two complaints. The speaking was definitely too difficult to understand. Not because I couldn't comprehend the manner of speech, but because of the thick, thick accent of some of the characters combined with how "masked" vocals sound on TVs these days, expecially compared to sound effects which come blaring out 100 decibels louder (on a side note is that because of how sound is mixed in movies these days and simple sound systems of TVs can't keep up with it? Because I swear that is the case in nine out of ten movies I watch on TV via streaming, bluray, etc).

Second complaint is that this moving was advertised as horror and it's not. I would advertise it as suspense. Yes movies can, and the best ones do, span across multiple categories. But the overwhelming advertising of this was "Horror". But to me that invokes images of being scared. This movie was more unsettling. There's a difference between those two. I'm not blaming that on TCTTS or anybody else, simply on the fact that movies have to be categorized to be sold to the public, and often that means movies are set up for failure because they're sold as something they're not.

That being said there is a lot to digest about this movie after you see it in its entirety. Knowing what you do about Black Phillip by the end of the movie, it really throws prior scenes in the movie into a completely different light - the dialogue (what parts I could understand) about evil and sin; the twins singing about him; Black Phillip getting loose and the father wrestling Black Phillip back, temporarily. I think the movie's makers did a masterful job with setting the tone, using the atmosphere of the period to bring suspense, the imagery...everything.

Overall, one of the best "suspense" movies in a long time, IMO. And I think that's because the payoff wasn't a trick or surprise...it was exactly what the movie told you it was the whole time - pure, unsettling evil.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Excellent post.
Serious Lee
i think this is a classic example of a movie thats title was misleading to the point of building up unfulfilled expectations. 5 min of screen time for the witch (when there were multiple witches anyhow) and the majority of the movie feeling like it was a test of faith.
Post removed:
by user
redeyeone
AG
After watching the movie I had thought the title was referring to the daughters transformation to a witch. Not to the other witches. Am I way off on this thought?
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, it's definitely a double meaning. Going in, it's about the witch in the forest. But by the end, you realize it was really referring to the girl and her transformation.
Ag 11
AG
I redboxed it not knowing anything about it going in. I thought the movie was really good & the music was great
Ol Jock 99
AG
Finally saw it last night. I enjoy slow burn thrillers, and this one was beautifully shot and well acted. I liked, didn't love, it. My issues:

1) The very end. Thomasin is a GOOD soul. She is devout, with no shown predisposition to evil. Yet after the losing her whole family, in terrible fashions, she willingly signs the devil'a book (Black Phillip scene is great until then) and happily flies with the other witches? Not seeing it.

2) The lack of Black Phillip. Another poster said it well; they needed more BP. We know the evil is real from the very beginning of the movie. Several more quick scenes with the goat, making you question whether he's just a goat, would have been nice. Maybe eating some corn with one of the rabbits, in the woods when Caleb is lost, something.

3) Sound mixing. Dialog too low, music (which was great) too loud. Had to watch on Closed Caption, which took away from the atmosphere.

Verdict: good, not great.
Counterpoint
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

3) Sound mixing. Dialog too low, music (which was great) too loud. Had to watch on Closed Caption, which took away from the atmosphere.

I had to watch on CC too, but not because the dialog was too low!
Sapper Redux
Ol Jock 99 said:

Finally saw it last night. I enjoy slow burn thrillers, and this one was beautifully shot and well acted. I liked, didn't love, it. My issues:

1) The very end. Thomasin is a GOOD soul. She is devout, with no shown predisposition to evil. Yet after the losing her whole family, in terrible fashions, she willingly signs the devil'a book (Black Phillip scene is great until then) and happily flies with the other witches? Not seeing it.

2) The lack of Black Phillip. Another poster said it well; they needed more BP. We know the evil is real from the very beginning of the movie. Several more quick scenes with the goat, making you question whether he's just a goat, would have been nice. Maybe eating some corn with one of the rabbits, in the woods when Caleb is lost, something.

1. This is a Puritan horror movie. In other words, the tropes and fears are culled directly from period sources. For the Puritans there was no such thing as a good soul. Every soul was deserving of damnation and treated as such. The daughter broke down and gave in to sin. It doesn't matter that she wasn't a bad person. And once she started down that path, the belief was that it was more powerful than the true faith.

2. I think there's a line between an evil witch manipulating the family and Satan himself in New England that they wanted to leave people guessing at. I thought the ambiguity was very well done.

3. Sound mixing isn't my thing, but I agree there were scenes where the dialogue was harder to hear than it needed to be.
BQ78
AG
Good discussion, many of the points I have are already discussed but would like to add from a perspective of enjoying the film and its uniqueness that El Mero's concerns are not unfounded. The film does indirectly target Christianity in that it is, as noted by others is an "anti-Job" film where the family's faith ends up failing them or burdening them to the point that they fall.

Until the Black Phillip scene, I thought the portrayal of things happening in the woods might have been coming from the imaginations of the family.

Also one question, I started the movie then finished a few chores while it began so I missed why the father was kicked off the plantation. Was his crime significant/germane to the story?
Sapper Redux
His crime was to question the faith of the town. He was convinced that he possessed the true and pure faith. He's sort of a Roger Williams style of character without the intelligence.
BQ78
AG
Thanks, so significant in that his pride sets him up for a bigger fall.
AgPediRPh
AG
Would thou like to live deliciously?

For some reason that creeped the hell outta me!
BowSowy
AG
We watched this tonight. It was a really interesting movie. Great scenes, great acting, good story. But I watched the trailer and read some of the first few posts here and was expecting a scary movie. I honestly wasn't scared at any point in that movie. I wasn't expecting jump scares, but the trailer made it seem like it would have a creepy feel to it and I just didn't get that feeling at any point.
mhayden
RossK10 said:

We watched this tonight. It was a really interesting movie. Great scenes, great acting, good story. But I watched the trailer and read some of the first few posts here and was expecting a scary movie. I honestly wasn't scared at any point in that movie. I wasn't expecting jump scares, but the trailer made it seem like it would have a creepy feel to it and I just didn't get that feeling at any point.

Those were my feelings. Well done movie... but it's a period piece, not a horror movie.
TCTTS
AG
One of my great TexAgs regrets is calling this a horror movie in the OP, as this board has set out to prove me wrong with the power of a thousand suns, going on nine months now...
Ol Jock 99
AG
Unless you came up with the marketing for the movie, don't get your feels all bunched up. No one (that counts anyway) is ticked at you.
TCTTS
AG
I should have added a wink emoji or something. Was being facetious more than anything.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

1. This is a Puritan horror movie. In other words, the tropes and fears are culled directly from period sources. For the Puritans there was no such thing as a good soul. Every soul was deserving of damnation and treated as such. The daughter broke down and gave in to sin. It doesn't matter that she wasn't a bad person. And once she started down that path, the belief was that it was more powerful than the true faith.
Ok, that's fair. How about completely out of character? She hadn't gone down the dark path, unless you count scaring her little sister, which I don't.

I suppose the breakdown could have occurred when she was all alone in the barn after the witch took the twins, but that's just a guess.

Solid movie....I just felt the leap from devot, if not traumatised, girl to devil's wh0r3 was a bit quick.
Serious Lee
redeyeone said:

After watching the movie I had thought the title was referring to the daughters transformation to a witch. Not to the other witches. Am I way off on this thought?
although i didnt initially think of that it seems correct. ive already been lambasted by my peers for putting too much stock into the title of movies. like rossK said, i was just expecting something else but i guess that whole book and cover adage should never be forgotten
Sex Panther
AG
This thread was more entertaining on the re-read than the actual movie
mhayden
TCTTS said:

One of my great TexAgs regrets is calling this a horror movie in the OP, as this board has set out to prove me wrong with the power of a thousand suns, going on nine months now...

It honestly made me shy away from seeing Green Room until a few days ago -- and it turned out I liked it.
TCTTS
AG
Huh?
InternetFan02
AG
Watched it tonight and read through this thread. Outstanding. Thanks to tctts and sapper/Dr Watson for the background info. Threads like this are why I love texags. Without this thread I probably wouldn't have watched it.

The post that sticks out the most was a few pages back saying that the director likely wasn't trying to *scare* the audience with witchcraft tales, he was intending to *explain* it. It's a historical drama.

I watched it with captions on and I wonder how that affects things. I wouldn't have understood any of the dialog. But with the captions on it made it feel less authentic. Felt more like the actors were just reading lines as they appeared on the screen - they're not real puritans!
mhayden
TCTTS said:

Huh?
Similar to your "The Witch is the scariest movie I've ever seen" review you gave a highly praised review for 'Green Room' saying it was one of the most tense, well done thrillers you had seen.. So I was naturally reluctant... but while it had it's faults I thought Green Room was in fact very tense and well done.
Redstone
AG
This film is a supernatural historical drama, and should not have been labeled a horror film.
FL_Ag1998
AG
free_mhayden said:

TCTTS said:

Huh?
Similar to your "The Witch is the scariest movie I've ever seen" review you gave a highly praised review for 'Green Room' saying it was one of the most tense, well done thrillers you had seen.. So I was naturally reluctant... but while it had it's faults I thought Green Room was in fact very tense and well done.

Ok, now I'm confused...do you think TCTTS is wrong in some of his description or spot on?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.