THE WITCH

37,894 Views | 298 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TCTTS
BassCowboy33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
I saw it last night and thought it was very good. I'm not sure I would rank it an all time classic horror movie, but I don't think the horror genre has had an all time classic in years. I do think its top 3 of the last 10 years with Cabin in the Woods and The Conjuring. This was one of the most authentic period movies I've ever seen and maybe more impressive than the actual horror part of the film. I did have trouble with the accents at times which may have contributed to why I think it wasn't an all time classic and while I do enjoy movies that employ a slow burn, this was almost too much. The movie felt longer than its running time.

Cabin in The Woods was good until the ending. I can suspend disbelief for these types of films, but there was a large portion of the theater giggling at that ending.
Max Power
AG
quote:
quote:
I saw it last night and thought it was very good. I'm not sure I would rank it an all time classic horror movie, but I don't think the horror genre has had an all time classic in years. I do think its top 3 of the last 10 years with Cabin in the Woods and The Conjuring. This was one of the most authentic period movies I've ever seen and maybe more impressive than the actual horror part of the film. I did have trouble with the accents at times which may have contributed to why I think it wasn't an all time classic and while I do enjoy movies that employ a slow burn, this was almost too much. The movie felt longer than its running time.

Cabin in The Woods was good until the ending. I can suspend disbelief for these types of films, but there was a large portion of the theater giffling at that ending.
You shut your filthy ***** mouth.
Gig em G
AG
Saw this last night. I enjoyed it...the time period and the old 17th century Puritan theme made it super interesting and different. It was crafted beautifully...and it felt "real."

It was definitely a creepy ass film, but my only complaints were that it didn't have quite enough "scares" for me, and that I couldn't understand half the dialogue. There were definitely some scenes that made you jump, but if they had a few more I think it would have been better. And the accents and the old English made it really difficult to follow...I don't think the theater I was at had the volume high enough.

In the end though, I'd definitely recommend it.
BassCowboy33
Whoops. Misfire.
LuvMarley
Just read Open Bar Cinema. Great job!
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
quote:

Cabin in The Woods was good until the ending. I can suspend disbelief for these types of films, but there was a large portion of the theater giggling at that ending.
Cabin in the Woods is one of the best horror movies ever because it was so damn fun. People were giggling at the ending because it was so unexpected and cool.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:

Cabin in the Woods is one of the best horror movies ever because it was so damn fun. People were giggling at the ending because it was so unexpected and cool.

C'mon, man. If someone likes it, I'm cool with that, but calling it one of the "best horror movies of all time" attempts to put it in the category of The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby, Misery, etc., which it clearly is not. Those films are classics, regardless of genre. CITW is merely a comedy/horror film that thinks outside the box.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
quote:
quote:
C'mon, man. If someone likes it, I'm cool with that, but calling it one of the "best horror movies of all time" attempts to put it in the category of The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby, Misery, etc., which it clearly is not. Those films are classics, regardless of genre. CITW is merely a comedy/horror film that thinks outside the box.

agreed. it was a horror comedy if anything. just because it has a horror setting does not make it a true horror film.

it was entertaining. in the same way scream (1) was entertaining,.

plus way too much whedonisms in it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
As a somewhat big fan of horror movies, gotta say that was a meh movie at best.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That said, BP's voice was genuinely creepy. Best scene in the movie by far.
Humorous Username
AG
quote:

My interest is piqued, and I rarely make it to the theater. So, what was the voice like? A whisper? A growl? A high-pitched scream of a thousand voices?
evan_aggie
AG
quote:
Same. I'm sure it's great but I'd be sleeping with a light on for weeks.

I'm laughing because id be doing the same.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
Same. I'm sure it's great but I'd be sleeping with a light on for weeks.

I'm laughing because id be doing the same.

It's really not that scary. It's more of just a kind of haunting suspense and a general "what the eff is going on?" type thing.
FtBendTxAg
AG
As we were walking out of the theater tonight, the old lady mentioned "I felt like I was just forced to watch that Rick atsley video." She felt Rick rolled. I didn't exactly agree with here, but understood how she could feel that way.

Not terrible, but certainly not great by any stretch of the imagination. Being his first full length feature is super promising though.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
quote:

My interest is piqued, and I rarely make it to the theater. So, what was the voice like? A whisper? A growl? A high-pitched scream of a thousand voices?

Seductive male sexy and I mean that seriously
TCTTS
AG
I realize this will probably be chalked up to pretentious LA types, but I've never seen this kind of differential in opinion between folks in the industry and those who aren't. Every LA friend or co-worker I've talked to about this one feels the same way I do, if not more so, while it seems to have underwhelmed most of you guys. I guess I wasn't going into it expecting typical "scares," nor am I a horror buff by any means. So maybe I was an easy lay. All I wanted was a creepy, well-done movie, and that's what I got.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yes. Very gentle and well-spoken, whispered.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well, in my case, I think you oversold it on the OP.

I love atmospheric horror that doesn't rely on cheap scares, so this type of movie is right up my alley. And it's not a bad movie, it just wasn't all that great either. Imo.

For one thing, I think it was a huge mistake showing the witch in the first few minutes of the movie. Should've let the audience run with their imaginations until the second half.

Secondly, I sort of wish more of the film had taken place at night. Those woods were absolutely perfect for some dark, scary scenes with nothing but a torch lighting the way.

The movie desperately needed some more atmosphere and suspense.

I think the disappointing thing for me is that it could've been an all-time horror classic, and I doubt it will be.
TCTTS
AG
Completely disagree about showing the witch. The fact the I KNEW there was a witch made it all the scarier for me. I kept waiting for her to make her move, and that tension helped a ton. Going the is-it-a-witch-or-not route feels so played out. They established right from the get-go that this was a world in which witches exist, and that's the tension. It was like knowing Jaws was going to strike at any minute.

I honestly feel like we watched two completely different movies in regards to your other points. Sure, a little more night action couldn't have hurt, but overall I thought this movie was FILLED with atmosphere and suspense. It may not have been "Look behind you!" type suspense, but it was a different brand, which I actually appreciated more. I really liked the slow burn.
Sex Panther
AG
I'd describe it as Shakespeare does horror... A lot of people are gonna think it's masterful while a lot are just not going to care for it... But again, very well done movie.

Live deliciously
TCTTS
AG
Spot on. Though, I usually can't stand anything to do with Shakespeare...
Sex Panther
AG
Did you ever see the new Macbeth? I really want to watch that... Interestingly enough, that is probably considered Shakespeare's take on horror.
BassCowboy33
I'm not sure I've ever seen a movie that was widely lauded by critics, but disliked by viewers. The film is trying stave off a D cinescore.
TCTTS
AG
Not yet. That trailer looked amazing - like, beautifully shot - but I just didn't see enough legit buzz to make a trip to the theater for it. Will definitely watch it on digital though.
jock1020
AG
I saw it last night. This movie was absolutely haunting. That is the only way I can describe it. I was tense the entire movie (the score was insane) and my jaw must have been on the floor the final 15 minutes of the film. I think the final portion of the movie was so shocking because I didn't expect a payoff. Alot of the "action" was taking place off screen, which I love. Then the ending, wow. It was very well done.
The Devil
Just a wonderful, feel-good movie.

Does Black Phillip get nominated for Best Actor or Supporting Actor?
BassCowboy33
quote:
I saw it last night. This movie was absolutely haunting. That is the only way I can describe it. I was tense the entire movie (the score was insane) and my jaw must have been on the floor the final 15 minutes of the film. I think the final portion of the movie was so shocking because I didn't expect a payoff. Alot of the "action" was taking place off screen, which I love. Then the ending, wow. It was very well done.

I disagree with most of this, but I will agree that the score was brilliant.
Humorous Username
AG
quote:

He'll probably be snubbed due to The Academy's inherent racism.
Sex Panther
AG
#OscarsSoWhitePhillip
BassCowboy33
quote:
#OscarsSoWhitePhillip

Even if he was nominated, he'd never beat the The Bear in The Revenant.
Tomdoss92
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm pretty sure it was Sylvester Stallone. Didn't think he could nail that british accent so well.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
quote:

mavsfan4ever
AG
Did not care for this movie. It was shot well and the music was great. But it was void of any action/story in my opinion. I was really looking forward to it and when it ended my wife and I just looked at each other and said "that's it?" Pretty much everyone walking out of the theater was under impressed.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I didn't want cheap scares or jump out of my seat moments. The main reason I was looking forward to it is bc I heard it wasn't that type of movie. But I was really never creeped out at all and just needed some more story/action.
Saxsoon
AG
Kinda like TC, I am pretty shocked at how different you guys viewed the film

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.