Has Modern Family jumped the Shark?

31,856 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by VanZandt92
Bitter Old Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I used to roll on the floor at this show, now I barely even break a smile.... seems like they are going over the top on things to get laughs, but missing the mark. About to stop the DVR drom recording this one...
annie88
AG
I'm still enjoying it. It's cleverness is still so good.

But, most shows, especially popular good ones, always start overdoing.

Think about Friends. By the last few seasons they were all almost caricatures of themselves. They put Monica WAY over the boundaries.

The Office was the same way.

sometimes they're just too popular for their own good and the longer they stay on, the less new stuff comes up.

But, that said. I watched both of the above until the end and will with MF as well...
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
I'm still enjoying it. It's cleverness is still so good.

But, most shows, especially popular good ones, always start overdoing.

Think about Friends. By the last few seasons they were all almost caricatures of themselves. They put Monica WAY over the boundaries.

The Office was the same way.

sometimes they're just too popular for their own good and the longer they stay on, the less new stuff comes up.

But, that said. I watched both of the above until the end and will with MF as well...
I'm still catching some VERY subtle jokes. Maybe I'm just smarter than the OP.

Plus, Steve Zahn.
chick79
AG
Show is getting a bit stale. Running out of ideas. Still enjoy it but not like I did the first few seasons.
AgPediRPh
AG
Let's see:
Gloria talks funny and has big boobs
Cam is fabulous
Phil is inept

I quit watching years ago because that was the majority of every single episode.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Alex Dunphy hit puberty.

MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
Let's see:
Cam is fabulous
Phil is inept

I quit watching years ago because that was the majority of every single episode.
Then I really AM smarter than you.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
its still solid imho. but has dropped off a bit.
Dro07
AG
quote:
Alex Dunphy hit puberty.

I hate work filters
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
quote:
Alex Dunphy hit puberty.

I hate work filters
There is a Soleil Moon Frye situation going on.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Isn't she like 15??? That'll get you 20, sickos. Give me some Haley....

Can't rule 1 from the phone
Bitter Old Man
AG
Yeah the subtle jokes are there, Einstein. But just not as funny. They seem to have lost their edge.
Post removed:
by user
bearamedic99
AG
The actress for Alex is a few weeks past her 17th birthday and her wardrobe has been trying to hide those for a while.
Dro07
AG
quote:
Isn't she like 15??? That'll get you 20, sickos. Give me some Haley....

Can't rule 1 from the phone
17 bruh but your point still stands i guess
Ryan the Temp
AG
This is Texas. 17 is legal.
MooreTrucker
AG
Just watched last night's show. Still funny, esp. the beginning with Phil trying to set up V-Day and Claire disrupting him. Very true to life.
watty
AG
quote:
Let's see:
Cam is fabulous
Phil is inept

Easily the worst post I've read in a while.
boy09
AG
Has the term "jumped the shark" jumped the shark?
Knife_Party
quote:

What does this phrase even mean? Why would anyone want to jump over a shark? Seems like the people in Jaws found out the hard way this is virtually impossible.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
quote:

What does this phrase even mean? Why would anyone want to jump over a shark? Seems like the people in Jaws found out the hard way this is virtually impossible.
Hincemm
AG
i think steve zahn was a good addition, but it's dropped quite a bit in the past 3 seasons or so. the dumphy boy is pretty terrible; brutal to watch him act.
boy09
AG
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:
Let's see:
Cam is fabulous
Phil is inept

Well he's not wrong
Quinn
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Let's see:
Cam is fabulous
Phil is inept

Well he's not wrong
Yep.
I stopped watching two or so years ago because every episode was the adults *****ing at each other. My wife and I decided to watch it again a week or two ago and it was a fine episode, though Jay's obsession with his dog over his son is a little stupid. Not a bad show, just not nearly as good/fresh as it used to be.
annie88
AG
Cam cracks me up. he and Phil are probably my favorite characters.

There was an episode a few years ago with Cam constantly accidentally hurting Lilly, like knocking her in the pool, hitting her head, etc. that still makes me laugh. As does the one when he stood up for Mitchell at the gas station dressed as Fizzbo.

Funny thing is that actor isn't gay. Mitchell is, but he's not. I've seen him in several things like CSI and recently The Loft. not that it really matters, but they're all just good actors.

But as Cam he is so funny. the fact that he's a football coach and clown is just briliant.
annie88
AG
quote:
I stopped watching two or so years ago because every episode was the adults *****ing at each other.
But even so, the thing that always brings it back together is the warm endings it usually has. They can be so dysfunctional, but in the end it's really based in love. That's what makes it work IMO.
watty
AG
So the things that made the show great in the first place, if they keep doing them, the show has jumped the shark? Please.

You can't complain about how Cam is still the flamboyant gay guy who grew up on a farm. That's who the character is. What are they supposed to do? Make him straight to keep the show fresh? Make Phil completely change his personality? Make Gloria get a boob reduction and forget where she came from?

I hate these types of criticisms of shows. They are so irrational. I have no idea what some of you expect from a show. I guess Seinfeld jumped the shark because Kramer was still the wacky neighbor in season 7 that he was in season 4. Rabble rabble! He should have gotten married and gotten a job and moved into the suburbs to keep the show "fresh," whatever that is supposed to mean.
Sex Panther
AG
Watty really, really likes this show.

I don't think the show is as funny as it used to be, but I haven't watched a whole lot of the last two seasons. I still think it's a good show though.

But to play devil's advocate, Jumping the Shark doesn't mean that a show is stale or isn't funny anymore. It means a show that has gotten stale or needs some kind of boost, does something desperate and ridiculous to inject life into it.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Not funny as it used to be, but still good enough to keep watching. It hasn't **** the bed like The Office did.
Post removed:
by user
20ag07
quote:
He defended The Office to the death through it's last seasons of crap. He just really likes things he likes to run 300 episodes, even though we've been shown by most good sitcoms that about 125 eps is the sweet spot. After that, everyone involved seems to phone it in.
twenty two ags
i still have it on the DVR, but earlier this season i found myself fast forwarding through some scenes to get to the funny parts. parts of it can still be funny but other parts dont feel very fresh, and some parts are flat out painful to watch.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:

I don't think the show is as funny as it used to be, but I haven't watched a whole lot of the last two seasons. I still think it's a good show though.

But to play devil's advocate, Jumping the Shark doesn't mean that a show is stale or isn't funny anymore. It means a show that has gotten stale or needs some kind of boost, does something desperate and ridiculous to inject life into it.

But that is the thing, I don't think Modern Family has done anything ridiculous to interject new life in to the show. It is what it always has been. It might be a little stale or repetitive, but that will happen to any show with the longevity and success that Modern Family has had.

I know, that's why I defined Jumping the Shark.

Now if Cam becomes an Astronaut... or Jay and Gloria have a baby, then it may have jumped the shark.
watty
AG
You know Jay and Gloria already had a baby, right? Or were you making a point by mentioning that?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.