Has Modern Family jumped the Shark?

31,826 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by VanZandt92
watty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Watty really, really likes this show.
He defended The Office to the death through it's last seasons of crap. He just really likes things he likes to run 300 episodes, even though we've been shown by most good sitcoms that about 125 eps is the sweet spot. After that, everyone involved seems to phone it in.

I did. The criticisms that are based on nothing but the viewer's boredom bother me. The show didn't change. You or your expectations did. Again, I just don't know what some of you want or expect, but whatever it is, it isn't reasonable or realistic IMO.

Anyway, I do still think the show is as good as ever. It's the first thing I watch each week when I catch up on my shows.
Post removed:
by user
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
You know Jay and Gloria already had a baby, right? Or were you making a point by mentioning that?

sayas2005
AG
quote:
I'm still enjoying it. It's cleverness is still so good.

But, most shows, especially popular good ones, always start overdoing.

Think about Friends. By the last few seasons they were all almost caricatures of themselves. They put Monica WAY over the boundaries.

The Office was the same way.

sometimes they're just too popular for their own good and the longer they stay on, the less new stuff comes up.

But, that said. I watched both of the above until the end and will with MF as well...
Flanderization

Sex Panther
AG
quote:
That is a pretty minor shark jumping incident but yes, that was an attempt to bring some fresh stuff to the show.

Yeah it was pretty minor, and honestly I'd bet they planned to do that from the beginning.
annie88
AG
I wanted the baby to be girl.
Al Bula
AG
quote:
So the things that made the show great in the first place, if they keep doing them, the show has jumped the shark? Please.

You can't complain about how Cam is still the flamboyant gay guy who grew up on a farm. That's who the character is. What are they supposed to do? Make him straight to keep the show fresh? Make Phil completely change his personality? Make Gloria get a boob reduction and forget where she came from?

I hate these types of criticisms of shows. They are so irrational. I have no idea what some of you expect from a show. I guess Seinfeld jumped the shark because Kramer was still the wacky neighbor in season 7 that he was in season 4. Rabble rabble! He should have gotten married and gotten a job and moved into the suburbs to keep the show "fresh," whatever that is supposed to mean.
Are you able to separate TV fiction from real life, bro?

The show just isn't as funny as it used to be. The little Asian is terrible. The gay fat guy bit can only be funny for so many seasons. Or the self deprecating beta male Phil...

The new neighbors were added to give the show a shot in the arm, unfortunately those characters really don't add much.
watty
AG
Ok. I disagree. I laugh every week. It's as good as ever. Your complaint just makes no sense to me.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Anders and Cooper was funny.

The Dunphy son is TERRIBLE. But looks like they are recognizing that and not giving him as much screen time.
annie88
AG
quote:
Anders and Cooper was funny.

The Dunphy son is TERRIBLE. But looks like they are recognizing that and not giving him as much screen time.
the son was cute and awkward as a little kid, it made it funny, now that he's grown up, its not that cute anymore. Isn't translating as he ages. he's talking and acting the same, but it's not cute anymore.
watty
AG
Agree that Luke is much less enjoyable now that he's older. Such is the challenge with kids, I guess. On another note, during the first few years, I never really appreciated Manny's character or his humor, but he's really grown on me. And so recently I was watching some of the older episodes, and man, Manny cracked me up. Not sure why I didn't find him as amusing at first but now he's one of my favorite parts of the first few seasons.
beatlesphan
AG
I thought the show took a step back last season and found myself getting bored with a few episodes, but I think this season has been fantastic.

Yes Claire has become a caricature. They've gone heavy on the fact that she loves alcohol and used to be a skank. She's really pretty and I just wish she would gain a few lbs, she does not look healthy IMO.

Gloria is as hot as ever. Maybe hotter.

Agree that Luke is terrible. He has an extremely nasally voice. I sometimes wonder if in real life his voice has deepened a lot and they make him try to speak in a different pitch to hide it.

I'm interested to see what they do with Alex. She's a senior this year, right? So will they have her stay close to home to keep her in as many episodes as possible? Or will she simply disappear for long stretches?

But overall, still a great show. One of about 3 comedies I enjoy that are currently on TV.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
She's really pretty and I just wish she would gain a few lbs, she does not look healthy IMO.

Julie Bowen was pretty hot in the earlier eps. But ya, she got wayy too skinny last year but last night I actually noticed she put some weight back on and you can't see her bones sticking out anymore like they did last year. I still think she's a very attractive girl.
LeFraud
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
Are you able to separate TV fiction from real life, bro?

The show just isn't as funny as it used to be. The little Asian is terrible. The gay fat guy bit can only be funny for so many seasons. Or the self deprecating beta male Phil...

The new neighbors were added to give the show a shot in the arm, unfortunately those characters really don't add much.

This is the definition of "to each his own" because we think Lily is one of the funniest ones on the show. Such great delivery for a little kid!
Duncan Idaho
The show needs a cousin Oliver
k20dub
AG
Absolutely love this show! I appreciate that each character has their own humor and have stuck with it through the series. Claire and Phil are perfect together and I love the relationship between Phil and Luke.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:

Happy Gilmore?
Bitter Old Man
AG
Yeah, that's Claire. Its hard to recognize her. I didnt realize it was the same girl until I was on IMDB looking at the cast...
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
quote:
quote:

Happy Gilmore?

That's Claire
MW03
AG
quote:
Make Gloria get a boob reduction and forget where she came from?
MW03
AG
quote:
Yeah, that's Claire. Its hard to recognize her. I didnt realize it was the same girl until I was on IMDB looking at the cast...
She also had it going on as Carol Vessey.

annie88
AG
quote:
quote:
She also had it going on as Carol Vessey.

If you watch the pilot closely, she's actually pregnant in it and hides her stomach throughout. sometimes you can tell, though...
Bunk Moreland
To answer the OP...the show began to get stale end of S2, and into S3. I really enjoyed it back then, and held on for as long as I could into S4...but it had already happened. They turned most of the characters into caricatures of themselves, and the show lost its soul. Sure, the same types of jokes were there, but the feel was gone, and in S4 I realized it had been gone for a while.

I guess it comes as no shock to me that the show's 2 creators had a falling out and stopped writing shows together sometime in S2, and apparently each do their own episodes on their own time without input from the other. No wonder it began to feel disjointed. Might have been subtle enough for the majority to not see, but I definitely felt the staleness creeping in back then.

Oh well. Wish I could like it again, but it's a pain to get through these days.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I still record it every week, but I don't think I've watched a single episode this season. They'll probably stack up for another month or two before I finally pull the plug. I'm pretty sure I've watched this show since the beginning but it's just lost me. Like many have said, it's the show's caricaturization of all of the characters. It happens to most long running sit coms.
20ag07
quote:

A forthcoming episode of hit television comedy Modern Family puts Apple's iOS and OS X communication services notably iMessage and FaceTime front and center, with the production crew shooting footage exclusively on the iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2.

The entire episode plays out on a Mac OS X desktop as family matriarch Claire Dunphy attempts to reach her daughter while stuck in an airport
http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/15/02/17/apples-imessage-facetime-and-os-x-take-starring-roles-in-new-episode-of-modern-family
twenty two ags
some of the time it is still as funny as ever. but their (unnecessary) need to tie each episode's 3 or more story lines together leads to some groanfully bad endings.
phil & claire are still good together.
jay is good with phil or claire.
gloria is still hot, but her accent is almost unbearable now.
manny is better than the dunphy son, but frankly both of them pull down the show. the dunphy kid is just a horrible actor, and the manny character has become a full kramer-esque characature of itself.
the dunphy daughters are fine - they seem to fit with any other group of the cast.
cam and husband are sort of a microcosm of the entire show - when they are interacting with themselves or just new-lily (who i like, but i know others hate) they are generally an entertaining and endearing family. but pretty much anytime either of them has to deal with any part of their outside life - jobs/friends/etc, cam and hubby both become terrible over the top versions of gay stereotype or farm stereotype (like they are based ONLY on two 1990's movies The Birdcage & Son In Law) constantly getting into shenanigans that seem like a crappy rip off of every i love lucy episode.
BlueAg2003
AG
Haley is the best part of the show. She is the only character that doesn't annoy me.
Urban Ag
AG
it's still entertaining. Not nearly as entertaining as it used to be, IMO, but I'm willing to cut the writers some slack. The show is built upon too many stereotypes:
Loud hot Latina
Neurotic soccer mom
Grumpy old white guy
Teenage bimbo
Teenage smart kid
Successful gay guy
Pansy suburban liberal guy

I think for the first three seasons it was still fresh enough that they could capitalize on the stereotypes and keep really funny. But that has to get increasingly harder without adding new characters or evolving the characters.

Still funny and never get sick of watching Claire or Gloria. Vergara's accent is about as relevant to me as her toenail polish.
Counterpoint
AG
I love the subtle (and not so subtle) hints that Haley is always droppping about being a major stoner.

MichaelJ
AG
I personally think you can make the same argument for Big Bang Theory.

They both came out at about the same time and while i still watch and enjoy both of them, I do not find either of them as funny.
Al Bula
AG
This iMessage episode is terrIble.
95_Aggie
AG
That was pretty cool
TCTTS
AG
All I'm seeing on Twitter is how bad this episode is. Doesn't air here for another two hours. The concept sounds terrible...
k20dub
AG
quote:
That was pretty cool

Agreed. Was laughing the whole time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.