Has Modern Family jumped the Shark?

31,865 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by VanZandt92
chipotle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That was painful. Would rather have listened to Johnny Ive read a phone book than watch that Apple commercial/show again.
MooreTrucker
AG
It was brilliance!! All that complain about it being an Apple commercial are just looking for something to be pissed about.
et98
AG
To answer the original question...yes, Modern Family has jumped the shark.
TheDino
AG
I thought it was great. Pretty creative and something people who multitask on their computers can relate to.

Phil's: "Tell her I'm in the shower!" was hilarious.
TheDino
AG
quote:
To answer the original question...yes, Modern Family has jumped the shark.

I disagree. It still makes me laugh consistently.
Muy
AG
quote:
All I'm seeing on Twitter is how bad this episode is. Doesn't air here for another two hours. The concept sounds terrible...

Maybe not the best episode but one of the most creative 30 minutes I've seen on TV. Claire Googling something like "how to raise your daughter's baby" was hilariously subtle.
twenty two ags
i would love to see a list of the MUYs top 5 "most creative 30 minutes of TV". top 10 even if you've got the time.
JonLobb
quote:
This iMessage episode is terrIble.
I saw an article last week about this on the Verge. I haven't watched Modern Family in a while, but I want to see this one once I can get it online.
JonLobb
quote:
That was painful. Would rather have listened to Johnny Ive read a phone book than watch that Apple commercial/show again.

actually Apple had nothing to do with the episode. One of the writers had the idea while working on his MacBook Pro and ran with it.

There's actually an interesting story behind the episode.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
quote:
All I'm seeing on Twitter is how bad this episode is. Doesn't air here for another two hours. The concept sounds terrible...

Maybe not the best episode but one of the most creative 30 minutes I've seen on TV. Claire Googling something like "how to raise your daughter's baby" was hilariously subtle.
"Hilariously subtle" is one of the best features of this show. They'll drop something in like that without beating you over the head with it, and that makes it even more fun.
boy09
AG
It wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting it to be from all the promos. I actually didn't really think it was that bad at all..
Al Bula
AG
If MF hadn't jumped the shark previously, that episode was a textbook case of jumping the shark.
KidDoc
AG
I enjoyed this episode. Especially Phil lost in his gaming and has no idea where anyone is.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KidDoc
AG
DP
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgMarauder04
AG
Meh. It was ok.
JonLobb
here's the Verge article if anybody is interested

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/17/8050553/modern-family-apple-mac-episode-connection-lost
ChipFTAC01
AG
Sounds like an interesting concept, but I canceled my season pass and deleted the 11 episodes I had saved just this past Sunday.

Oh well.
MooreTrucker
AG
The ep was actually shot using the devices, no actual cameras.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Looked like the entire thing was what, screen shot captured from the one mac?
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
quote:
The Facetime parts of that were also actually shot on phones.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
The Facetime parts of that were also actually shot on phones.
Yeah, true.

That being said, it was an interesting concept, I was just underwhelmed by it.
Muy
AG
quote:
i would love to see a list of the MUYs top 5 "most creative 30 minutes of TV". top 10 even if you've got the time.

Okay, so maybe saying "the most" was overreaching, but it was an extremely different, creative and technically relevant episode making fun of how utterly connected we can all be in our daily lives.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
The channel up/down button broken on your remote?
JonLobb
quote:
quote:
actually, they recreated the effect entirely, they didn't actually screen cap anything. As you'll notice they do things that you can't actually do on a Mac, but were necessary for the story, like having multiple Facetime conversations open simultaneously.

They also needed additional resolution in order to be able to zoom in on different parts of the screen.
annie88
AG
quote:
I thought it was great. Pretty creative and something people who multitask on their computers can relate to.

Phil's: "Tell her I'm in the shower!" was hilarious.
I thought that was funny too.

At first I thought it was annoying and stupid, but as it went on I kinda liked it. I also kinda wanted Hailey to have eloped too, but knew she hadn't...
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
actually, they recreated the effect entirely, they didn't actually screen cap anything. As you'll notice they do things that you can't actually do on a Mac, but were necessary for the story, like having multiple Facetime conversations open simultaneously.

They also needed additional resolution in order to be able to zoom in on different parts of the screen.
Shot on Macs

Behind the scenes
TCTTS
AG
Enjoyed the episode a lot more than i thought I would. That said, I thought it was lame they chickened out on the Hailey bit. Thought it would have been a lot better / more interesting if she actually was knocked up and married to Andy.
annie88
AG
quote:
Enjoyed the episode a lot more than i thought I would. That said, I thought it was lame they chickened out on the Hailey bit. Thought it would have been a lot better / more interesting if she actually was knocked up and married to Andy.
Agree.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
Next season
Mathguy64
AG
quote:

Probably truer to the show the way they did it with her being upstairs and Phil not having a clue.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Just watched the episode and thought it was brilliant. The best sitcom episode in a long while.
bearamedic99
AG
quote:
quote:

There's actually an interesting story behind the episode.

I doubt it
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
texags' incessant desire to determine when something jumped the shark actually jumped the shark years ago.
COOL LASER FALCON
I think it's funny that everybody gives them a hard time about being a mac commercial when I haven't heard anyone complain about the pretty obvious Toyota product placement.
30_Days
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Shot on Macs

Behind the scenes
I didn't know it was shot using the phones, that's pretty cool.

I know the final product was all "fake" though

per The Verge

quote:
To pull off the computer screen concept, Levitan and his team relied on motion graphics artist John Brown. "The whole episode was originally shot with crew members, just as a proof of concept," Brown says. He put that footage together into a rough mock-up of Claire's computer screen, with the working assumption that the episode could then be created using screen capture software, much like the filmmakers behind Noah had done. However, given the resolution the image would lose clarity when they pushed in tight on various elements like Levitan wanted. So instead Brown had to duplicate and animate the entire Mac interface manually, at up to four times the normal resolution.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.